• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, since it's been brought up, counterpoint time!

Viridi was mentioned by name and connected to the bomb, she was not the exact hazard like Yellow Devil, and unlike the Reset Bomb Stage we're still missing the hazard on Pyrosphere despite many pictures. So... same as before, Ridley could be a hazard but there's nothing conclusive, back to the waiting game.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm sorry Ridley fans but after looking at the Ridley Other M gif GoldenYuiittsuin posted. We're not getting any other Ridley designs from other Metroid titles if he becomes playable. Sakurai can easily resize Other M Ridley and make him playable without any difficulties with his body structure. As you can see from the gif, his walking animation is already complete. As amazing as Zero Mission Ridley look, I can't see him working because of his neck.

Hopefully Sakurai at least fixes his beak if its true.
Most of us seem to have come to terms with this. I personally don't really care either way, sure I'd prefer the Super Metroid or Zero Mission design by a hundred miles, but the Other M design, while hideous by Ridley standards, still looks cool. If they at least fix the beak like you suggest, then I wouldn't care at all that they chose the Other M design, though I'm not expecting them to.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Viridi was mentioned by name and connected to the bomb, she was not the exact hazard like Yellow Devil, and unlike the Reset Bomb Stage we're still missing the hazard on Pyrosphere despite many pictures. So... same as before, Ridley could be a hazard but there's nothing conclusive, back to the waiting game.
To add onto that, this is like the 4th pic we've gotten of Reset Bomb Forest.

D

Deleted member

And with today's caption, here comes another wave of Ridley-confirmed-as-a-stage-hazard bull****.

Get ready guys...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Viridi's too big for Smash...but seriously, Ms. Genocidal Maniac looks good, I love that model from Uprising!
And seriously...not including Ridley now would be an insult to the fans...and Sakurai already used two characters that were chosen primarily because of fan pressure, Megaman and Villager.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
And with today's caption, here comes another wave of Ridley-confirmed-as-a-stage-hazard bull****.

Get ready guys...
The similarities of the situations isn't immediately obvious, so I won't worry. Besides, people have their hands full with the Palutena leak.

Why am I suddenly getting more nervous about Ridley...?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Didn't the leak about Palutena imply that she was an Assist Trophy? I would've thought most fans now would be concerned about her chances being in jeopardy than "Stage Hazardly".

And Viridi was blatantly revealed a long time ago by Sakurai's Miiverse comment. There were two subsequent pictures that had the stage under the effects of the bomb, and the explosion in the background. The Pyrosphere has had nothing revealed in it so far, and it's from the version that Sakurai prefers to post on the Miiverse.

Most of us seem to have come to terms with this. I personally don't really care either way, sure I'd prefer the Super Metroid or Zero Mission design by a hundred miles, but the Other M design, while hideous by Ridley standards, still looks cool. If they at least fix the beak like you suggest, then I wouldn't care at all that they chose the Other M design, though I'm not expecting them to.
Honestly, I really don't care about the design Ridley gets in the long run. So long as he's playable, I'm completely fine with it. Sure I'll be disappointed if it's not based on Super Metroid of Zero Mission, but what matters most is that everyone's favorite Space Pirate makes it in.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Didn't the leak about Palutena imply that she was an Assist Trophy? I would've thought most fans now would be concerned about her chances being in jeopardy than "Stage Hazardly".
No, the leaker never said anything at all. Based on everything I've read I've concluded that an unrelated poster made a sarcastic quip toward the images by referencing Ashley's reveal, saying "FYI she's an assist trophy", and some people who didn't look closely enough took the quip seriously. The two pics however are definitely trying to allude to Palutena being playable. It's true we don't know whether or not assists on the 3DS will also receive outline treatment. For now though it's best to assume only playable characters get outlined until evidence proves otherwise.

(BTW Viridi is a background element, so outlining her would contradict the point of the outlines in the first place)

And Viridi was blatantly revealed a long time ago by Sakurai's Miiverse comment. There were two subsequent pictures that had the stage under the effects of the bomb, and the explosion in the background.
I think it's more accurate to say Viridi's identity was directly referenced by Sakurai, not that she was revealed. In a way, Ridley's identity is alluded to by Sakurai's Pyrosphere reveal comments. All the same it does seem like direct references are not a good sign for characters with fanbases. The Pyrosphere comment was indirect however. Let's just be glad Sakurai didn't actually identify Ridley directly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I replaced Palutena with Viridi in my game.

I like Viridi a lot more...

And apparently I'm better at arguing FOR something than against something.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Yeah the big difference is Sakurai called out Viridi by name right from the start and let us know what was going to happen. Then we got follow up pictures of the actual bomb explosions and now this. We've known exactly this for a long time now. The more cryptic way of addressing Ridley is still suspect.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly I don't really understand why people take Sakuari's comments as a level of proof when he tends to comment in a way that makes it hard to draw conclusion off of until the point where he liternally reveals or shows it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Maybe since Viridi doesn't have a huge fanbase like Ridley do... so if Sakurai were to name Ridley specifically when he revealed the Pyrosphere stage, that might have killed most of the fan hype for SSB4 before it even came out... and that would be bad for the Wii U...

D

Deleted member

I know that it's not time to call it quits yet since we have yet to see Ridley, but after seeing Viridi in today's picture long after she was implied to appear on the stage, I'm starting to have my doubts....

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Maybe since Viridi doesn't have a huge fanbase like Ridley do... so if Sakurai were to name Ridley specifically when he revealed the Pyrosphere stage, that might have killed most of the fan hype for SSB4 before it even came out... and that would be bad for the Wii U...
To be honest, I'd expect the situations to be inverted if that was the case as if Ridley has the larger fanbase, it'd be best to not string people along and get it out of the way like what happened with Toad or (to a lesser extent) Ashley. While it sucked to have those characters deconfirmed, we were able to move on. Ridley being deconfirmed would have more of a stink initially, but then we'd move on much easier then being led along and having the rug pulled from under us.

Regardless, the situations are similar on the surface, but still differ in their depth. I won't deny that there's still that chance with Ridley, but I'm not going to say this new development really shifted me in either direction.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I know that it's not time to call it quits yet since we have yet to see Ridley, but after seeing Viridi in today's picture long after she was implied to appear on the stage, I'm starting to have my doubts....
I still don't doubt Ridley's inclusion. I mean, I see where you are coming from, but at this point, the circumstances haven't really changed. It is just our interpretation that has changed, so if you had faith in Ridley prior to Viridi, that faith is still there... deep down. ;)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Not sure I'm ready to make a call based on the reveal today given some rather distance differences between Ridley and Viridi in not only just popularity but due to other factors as well. The only thing that today's reveal did is just mostly point out that Sakurai's comments on the screenshots should not be taken as a sign of anything.

D

Deleted member

I still don't doubt Ridley's inclusion. I mean, I see where you are coming from, but at this point, the circumstances haven't really changed. It is just our interpretation that has changed, so if you had faith in Ridley prior to Viridi, that faith is still there... deep down. ;)
Well of course.
I still hold faith for Ridley's inclusion, but I'm taking a less optimistic approach.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
We're not getting any other Ridley designs from other Metroid titles if he becomes playable.
Oh yeah? Are you the effin' Ridleyinsmashbrosologist? Should I look for your name in the credits? Did you make that call? Are you designing him?

Don't you come in here all self-assured like you know what's going on. Sakurai will do as he pleases, and he will use the Ridley that suits him.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly see no connection between Viridi an Ridley's inclusion. We already knew there were stage hazards, character stage hazards, see the yellow devil. We've seen toon link on a train, and he's playable. Viridi changes nothing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, we've seen a lot more of the Pyrosphere than the Reset Bomb Forest. As in, countless more pictures, as well as video clips. Viridi showed up pretty soon as far as Reset Bomb Forest pictures are concerned, finally appearing in (I think) the fourth one. I'd say Ridley's still fine, though I'd still be...cautiously optimistic.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey guys its been a while and JESUS CHRIST the site changed a lot. but anyway whats been going on?
Chrom took a huge dip in popularity. Faith in non Rosalina Mario newcomers vanished. Supposed Palutena leak, Ridley is to America as Shulk is to Japan, Ridley fans overanalyzing another PotD.

So yeah, stuff.

And yeah, not too worried. Sakurai barely showed off that stage, while the Pyrosphere was shown off so much it would be hard to hide Ridley...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Toon Link redeconfirmed.

If Ridley is a hazard, then he'll get replaced with Nightrmare whenever playable Ridley is present on the stage.
Nope...

Here's what will happen.
Pic of the day. When Ridley joins the battle, Kraid is in charge of the Pyrosphere. Kraid: "Leave it to me!"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nightmare was easy

There is this bug miniboss that pissed me off. Kept kicking my ass over and over, and I think you fight it multiple times in different forms or something

Only he can take Ridley's place.

Other than Kraid, LOL

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Rhedogian is the boss you're thinking of. It would actually be fitting, especially since it resists lava.

I think they'd go with a generic band of pirates before it, though.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Nightmare would be a really awesome stage hazard or boss in this game. But I'm still holding out for the Metroid Queen, it only seems fitting that the antagonist species should be properly represented as a dangerous monster to the Smash fighters than a minor nuisance.

D

Deleted member

Why wouldn't it be Goyagma? It's a dragon. It's fought in the Pyrosphere. It's perfect.

Goyagma as hazard when Ridley is being played as confirmed! :awesome:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
OmG its sooo great
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4Qe50L2Ow

Yeah the big difference is Sakurai called out Viridi by name right from the start and let us know what was going to happen. Then we got follow up pictures of the actual bomb explosions and now this. We've known exactly this for a long time now. The more cryptic way of addressing Ridley is still suspect.
I know its scum but eve if Ridley aint Playable Sakurai there is a good chance Sakurai still wouldnt tell because no doubt he knows of Ridleys damand/Popularity and wouldnt want to upset people and effect sales....its ok because only he knows and once you BUY the game it doesnt matter anymore because you Bought it........

I dunno if anyone thought about this....it is scum but its simple, smart, and its business thing to do.....

Ugh.....im fairy certain we will get Mewtwo anyway....and i more see it we will get either diddy tagged with dixy or funky or cranky.....

I think we will get 1 of the big 3

K.Rool
Mewtwo*
Ridley

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom