• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Oh yeah...Ridley's called the God of Death/Destruction in a few instances, isn't he?

That's pretty interesting. Pretty intense that the guy has so little regard for life that people just started calling him a god because of it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Am I the only one here who thinks that Ridley isn't actually that big?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I love being surrounded by same people again.

Uhh it just annoys me when peoples only excuse against Ridley is the too damn big crap. Uhh man sometimes I wanna slap some sense into them

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I love being surrounded by same people again.

Uhh it just annoys me when peoples only excuse against Ridley is the too damn big crap. Uhh man sometimes I wanna slap some sense into them
It's too bad that there are those who are still beating up dead horses, regardless of how dumb their excuses are.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You're not alone. I've seen how big Bowser is, but he still managed to become a fighter in Smash Bros..
This. Really, even when not giant-sized, Bowser is still almost always significantly larger than Mario. I'd say he's roughly the same size as Super Metroid Ridley compared to Samus. Not to mention his son has been larger than Peach on some occasions... Yet all that seems to be overlooked by so many...

I was always pretty enthusiastic for a playable Ridley, using his brief appearance in Melee's intro as reference for how big he would be. However, it looks like SSB4's Metroid content is all modeled after the, imo, inferior Other M designs. Honestly, I'm less enthusiastic about Ridley if he's going to use that silly platypus design.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
People say bowser is okay because he's already playable. Imagine if bowser wasn't playable people would be saying he's too big to him as well. Smh I really don't know why size is even an issue. We have giant pikachu already

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nope. Honestly, I never saw that as a reason for him to never be included. I figured that he'd be hard to balance properly. Not unless he was really weak or really strong. But I'm giving up on Ridley. He's one of the cooler Nintendo villains, and he should be playable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is one of the smaller bosses in the main Metroid series, and is also the smallest of the main four bosses in Super Metroid. His selling point was never size.

D

Deleted member

inb4 dededeandbowserwouldbetoobiginthebeetletoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ridley is one of the smaller bosses in the main Metroid series, and is also the smallest of the main four bosses in Super Metroid. His selling point was never size.
Yet it's treated like such an issue. I don't know, I wouldn't say Ridley is a shoe in by any means. Though he's by no means a lost cause. But I feel that being a hard character to implement(compared to the rest)is what's holding him back. Most characters tend to have a playstyle that reflects what they can do in their own games, as well as their personalities. This could be hard for a guy like Ridley whose mostly powerful and fast, which doesn't make the most balanced playstyle in a fighting game. So he would have to drop one of these attributes to fit in better, gameplay wise. At least, that's what I think held him back before. Since Sakurai likes to get the characters personalities accurately most of the time.(Well aside from Megaman, who for some reason doesn't want to smile or talk like he normally does)

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hey guys, know what else can grab people and carry them into the air?

RIDLEY

Yet it's treated like such an issue. I don't know, I wouldn't say Ridley is a shoe in by any means. Though he's by no means a lost cause. But I feel that being a hard character to implement(compared to the rest)is what's holding him back. Most characters tend to have a playstyle that reflects what they can do in their own games, as well as their personalities. This could be hard for a guy like Ridley whose mostly powerful and fast, which doesn't make the most balanced playstyle in a fighting game. So he would have to drop one of these attributes to fit in better, gameplay wise. At least, that's what I think held him back before. Since Sakurai likes to get the characters personalities accurately most of the time.(Well aside from Megaman, who for some reason doesn't want to smile or talk like he normally does)
You ought to look back at past posts in this thread to see how other people imagine Ridley working within Smash. It would give you some new perspective.

...But I assume you're not masochistic and actually don't want to be stuck in this thread for an hour. Sooo...

"Powerful and Fast" is not all that defines Ridley. If that's all you imagine can represent him, then yeah you're gonna have a tough time. Thing is, people also get stuck on this idea that Ridley can only fly. Which would obviously be an additional hindrance. But Ridley doesn't "only fly". And Ridley doesn't have to be both "Powerful and Fast" to stay in character.

When thinking about any character you have to know where and when to apply abilities. If Ridley can't be generally fast, you ask "where can it be applied" and "how much can be applied". A consensus believes it makes sense for Ridley to be slow on the ground and have more agility in the air. No he can't be super-fast, but then that wouldn't even help Ridley to fight. He could have just enough agility to outpace Dedede and Charizard, two large characters with multiple jumps.

As for power, is sheer strength really what defines Ridley? The only "power" Ridley has ever really displayed is dealing high damage (as a penultimate boss it only makes sense that he does) and grabbing Samus, which only leads to anything significant in cutscenes. Otherwise, Ridley primarily deals high damage through relentless assaults with tail, claws, and plasma breath. And both of these can be sensibly represented by a playable Ridley.

...As could be grabbing. A consensus here also pictures Ridley being Smash's first genuine grappler character, meaning he threatens the cast with dangerous grab specials. Understand that having a grab special doesn't make a character a grappler. Other Smash characters just haven't pulled off the playstyle properly as of yet.

Ultimately, just try and be a bit more open-minded about Ridley's abilities. This applies not just to Ridley either. Some people couldn't get past this idea that Rosalina would mimic Peach in various ways, and look what happened there. Some people can't get past this idea that Ridley would just be another Bowser or Charizard, but people have come up with plenty of movesets that completely differentiate Ridley from the other two fire breathers.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
People say bowser is okay because he's already playable. Imagine if bowser wasn't playable people would be saying he's too big to him as well. Smh I really don't know why size is even an issue. We have giant pikachu already
Bowser too popular?

I get you though...if anything haters need a dump on their chest thats too BiG.

I guess people base it on his size compared to Samus but yh....

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Edited for goofy-ass comprehension. Move along people. Ridley isn't too big. There, relevant post.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm just going to assume you've bought into the Ridley hate hype when it comes to being fast and powerful and forgotten what's happened in the actual games. In Metroid Prime, Ridley was lumbering and fairly slow on the ground. He could rush you, but he does not zip around like he does in the air. Metroid Other M is an even better example of how he moves on the ground. It's almost clumsy compared to how he moves in the air. Besides, the fact that he would be big to begin with would be major weakness for him in a Smash Bros setting.

I wonder if Mewtwo was not in Melee would people argue he would be too fast and to powerful for the Smash roster.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm just going to assume you've bought into the Ridley hate hype when it comes to being fast and powerful and forgotten what's happened in the actual games. In Metroid Prime, Ridley was lumbering and fairly slow on the ground. He could rush you, but he does not zip around like he does in the air. Metroid Other M is an even better example of how he moves on the ground. It's almost clumsy compared to how he moves in the air. Besides, the fact that he would be big to begin with would be major weakness for him in a Smash Bros setting.

I wonder if Mewtwo was not in Melee would people argue he would be too fast and to powerful for the Smash roster.
Not exactly, I still think he has a decent shot at making it in. And I sure as hell won't let the hate get to me. Otherwise I wouldn't have even wanted Megaman. I've never been that kind of dude before. But I figured given one of Sakurai's quotes, he might be seen as hard to develop for. My theory is that it had to do with balancing him properly. So we don't have a another Meta-Knight on our hands. Whether that's true or not is yet to be seen. Sorry if it felt like I didn't like Ridley in Smash, that was NOT my intention.

But as the post above yours put, Having him only be fast in the air would balance that out and would still be true to his character, in a sense. So long as he is sluggish on the ground. I feel that playstyle could be really unique in Smash.

Hey guys, know what else can grab people and carry them into the air?

RIDLEY

You ought to look back at past posts in this thread to see how other people imagine Ridley working within Smash. It would give you some new perspective.

...But I assume you're not masochistic and actually don't want to be stuck in this thread for an hour. Sooo...

"Powerful and Fast" is not all that defines Ridley. If that's all you imagine can represent him, then yeah you're gonna have a tough time. Thing is, people also get stuck on this idea that Ridley can only fly. Which would obviously be an additional hindrance. But Ridley doesn't "only fly". And Ridley doesn't have to be both "Powerful and Fast" to stay in character.

When thinking about any character you have to know where and when to apply abilities. If Ridley can't be generally fast, you ask "where can it be applied" and "how much can be applied". A consensus believes it makes sense for Ridley to be slow on the ground and have more agility in the air. No he can't be super-fast, but then that wouldn't even help Ridley to fight. He could have just enough agility to outpace Dedede and Charizard, two large characters with multiple jumps.

As for power, is sheer strength really what defines Ridley? The only "power" Ridley has ever really displayed is dealing high damage (as a penultimate boss it only makes sense that he does) and grabbing Samus, which only leads to anything significant in cutscenes. Otherwise, Ridley primarily deals high damage through relentless assaults with tail, claws, and plasma breath. And both of these can be sensibly represented by a playable Ridley.

...As could be grabbing. A consensus here also pictures Ridley being Smash's first genuine grappler character, meaning he threatens the cast with dangerous grab specials. Understand that having a grab special doesn't make a character a grappler. Other Smash characters just haven't pulled off the playstyle properly as of yet.

Ultimately, just try and be a bit more open-minded about Ridley's abilities. This applies not just to Ridley either. Some people couldn't get past this idea that Rosalina would mimic Peach in various ways, and look what happened there. Some people can't get past this idea that Ridley would just be another Bowser or Charizard, but people have come up with plenty of movesets that completely differentiate Ridley from the other two fire breathers.
Well, You put things into a better perspective than I could. I do agree a good way to show power is with the grabbing mechanic. And I do understand that he has more to offer than Power and Speed. I do see that as the "face value" of what he can do though. If that makes any sense.

Again, sorry if I came off as negative, I try not to bring that anywhere most places.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Well, You put things into a better perspective than I could. I do agree a good way to show power is with the grabbing mechanic. And I do understand that he has more to offer than Power and Speed. I do see that as the "face value" of what he can do though. If that makes any sense.

Again, sorry if I came off as negative, I try not to bring that anywhere most places.
Nah, I could tell you were just trying to stay open about the possibility. Don't worry about it. :p

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I'd love for Ridley to be the largest character on the game! That'll be so neat! Imagine having a 4 player with 4 Ridleys? Lol

I'll join the Ridley support group! We just need another Villian that is so evil! Ridley to me seems like the best Villian ever! Better then bowser, ganondorf and anyone else. I mean series he ate samus's mom. What Nintendo Villian has done that?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sorry if it felt like I didn't like Ridley in Smash, that was NOT my intention.
Nah, man, it's fine. I'd say most of us are pretty open to the fact that Ridley may very well not be in the new Smash. He's nowhere near a lock; hell, no one is, really, save maybe Little Mac.

That said, I'm sure most of us will be pretty pissed if he's not in. I already bought my gun!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Imagine if we had Bowser, Ridley, Charizard, and K.Rool. Finally we could have a giant lizard fight. Winner gets to take on the giant ape.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
anyone ever consider the 3ds version to hurt ridley chances
How so? The 3DS has handled worse in terms of size and complexity (just look at Monster Hunter and the large creatures that has) and Ridley wouldn't be anymore pressing on the 3DS' RAM then transformation/duo characters. Really, mechanic-wise I wouldn't expect Ridley to have any trouble being playable on it.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
anyone ever consider the 3ds version to hurt ridley chances
I would question the IQ level of anybody that really thinks the 3DS version could hinder Ridley. I mean have you looked at some of the bosses in Kid Icarus: Uprising? Not to mention the Monster Hunter games on the system already.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
People are going on about how the latest Wii U stage revealed is a guaranteed lock for Palutena. They were saying the same thing about Little Mac for the Boxing Ring and the Super Mario Galaxy stage for Rosalina. And yet when the Pyrosphere was unveiled, poor Ridley was met with derision and serious doubt against his inclusion. Am I seeing something wrong here?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
People are going on about how the latest Wii U stage revealed is a guaranteed lock for Palutena. They were saying the same thing about Little Mac for the Boxing Ring and the Super Mario Galaxy stage for Rosalina. And yet when the Pyrosphere was unveiled, poor Ridley was met with derision and serious doubt against his inclusion. Am I seeing something wrong here?
Yes, its called denial

D

Deleted member

Welp, ironically today's image renewed my faith in Ridley's appearance.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Lol Serious just look at Ganondorf in brawl and Mewtwo in melee....canon power means nothing.....when it should actually but not blatant itended OP.....

Yh....also i get what you mean....it is stupid......

Mewtwo, Ganondorf & Samus would murder everyone.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well guys , just like Ridley , Palutena deconfirmed because of large wingspan .

Wingspan deconfirms characters , don't you know ? :troll:
Don't worry guys, it's just Sakurai showing some support for the Ridley X Palutena pairing.

I mean they have so much in common :
- Both gods.
- Have gone full genocide on humans at some point.
- Leader of an army.
- Their main ennemy in their series is a woman.
- Have their own stage on the Wii U versions.
- Their series have already a rep.
- Have large wings.
- TOO BIG

Top Bottom