• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How dare you. Sakurai's infallible! Even if Ridley doesn't get in the roster it'll be Sakamoto's fault, not Sakurai's!

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Other characters allow us to refute every anti-Ridley argument...

"He's too big" - Bowser, Olimar.
"He's too powerful/scary" - Mewtwo, Ganondorf.
"He has no personality" - R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer
"He has no moveset potential" - R.O.B., Captain Falcon

I really think this is Ridley's time, and that he will be confirmed for this next Smash. Let's hope I'm right.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think I've heard the "he has no moveset potential" one, as even a Goomba can be given a moveset if one thinks hard enough.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Yeah perhaps that one was an unnecessary addition to my list - being the only heavy character who could glide/with a great aerial battle and having a tail, wings and claws would give Ridley so much potential that it would be an obscene argument anyway.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
That remind me when that "Huge Metroid fan who finished all the games of the serie" claimed that Dark Samus should be in instead since she appeared in more games than Ridley (he said that Super Metroid and Metroid Other M were all the games he was in).

It was hilarious when he refused to admit that he never played any of them and then jump on the Too Big argument.

Anyway my favorite argument against Ridley is that he will never be playable in smash bros since he was never playable in a Metroid game.

I admit I would love a playable Ridley in a future Metroid game and kick some galactic federation soldiers a** for once tough =)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well dialga and palka have ben resized big time on the spear pillar stage

http://www.videogameinfo.net/forums/pokemon/actual-sizes-pokemon-compared-3344/

Thats actual sizes chart of some pokemon even though it proves your point a little bit palka and dialga was oviously shrunken in ssbb

Even though the anime shows shows much different story
I dunno why you're being dumb, but I hope you're happy:
(oh, and if someone is looking at this trying to make estimates based on the boxes, THEY GOT MESSED UP SOMEHOW so divide estimations by 1.2 to get the actual height)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
(oh, and if someone is looking at this trying to make estimates based on the boxes, THEY GOT MESSED UP SOMEHOW so divide estimations by 1.2 to get the actual height)
Better much better much more accurate sizes:cool:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel like you're making fun of me and I'm kind of impressed???

I mean I didn't change a thing. Unless you're saying the stuff I added helped you.. better.. see??? I dunno.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Well, since we're gonna be here for a while, probably with nothing new to talk about...

What's the dumbest reason to exclude Ridley you've ever heard? Don't say "too big" because that's too easy.

I think my favorite is "he's too powerful." When Mewtwo can make people's heads explode and Ganondorf has the Triforce of Power. Plus, if Samus can beat Ridley single-handed, wouldn't that make her even more powerful than he is? Why aren't we excluding Samus from Smash on this basis?

"he's not as relevant of a Nintendo character as other veterans and newcomers are. he's not important and I don't know why they would put him in Smash."

... allow me to go on a tangent.

I allow Nintendo a total of one maverick attendee per Smash.

in SSB64, I would say the maverick attendee title really could've been up for grabs between Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff isn't as iconic or relevant to the Pokemon franchise as Pikachu; EarthBound is certainly a fantastic game (my favorite RPG, if not my favorite SNES game, if not one of my top three favorite games) but since he only appeared in one of two Mother titles, I would say his inclusion is a little iffy. Captain Falcon is much the same, although he's more of a veteran in his own series than Ness was.

in Melee, it was Ice Climbers. no one remembers their game. I could justify every other Melee newcomer except for Ice Climbers. in Brawl, it would be Pit for the same reasons.

in Smash 4, I would say that so far there are no maverick newcomers. Wii Fit Trainer could be argued as being a maverick, but I say her inclusion is the same as ROB and Mr. Game and Watch- both were historically relevant characters to Nintendo's success (ROB got the NES sold, the Game and Watch was Yokoi's first foray into game design, Wii Fit appealed to the casual audience and helped sell units)

Villager... could be a maverick, but Animal Crossing: Wild World had a stage in Brawl. so I think his inclusion was inevitable.

when people say Ridley isn't 'relevant' I think of the maverick characters I listed. I would consider them irrelevant, excluding Pit because he's been revived (and, incidentally, is canonically the strongest Nintendo character according to Kid Icarus: Uprising).

Ridley, percentage-wise, has more of a recurrence ratio than Ganondorf, the most iconic Zelda villain. Ganon, in any form, has appeared in only five out of 17 Zelda games, six if you count linking the Oracle games- The Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Ridley has appeared in Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, Super Metroid (and fought twice), Metroid Prime, Prime 3: Corruption (fought twice in that, too), Fusion, and Other M. he's been in seven of ten Metroid games and been fought nine times over the course of Metroid history, and even been featured on the boxart of a few of the games. I fail to see how he isn't 'relevant' as a character, in terms of Nintendo villains or Metroid canon.

I get very passionate about my franchise and I defend it with about as much honor and dignity as I can when faced with the ignorance and oppression that is the anti-Ridley establishment.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sorry M&S, I appreciate what you do, but I cannot condone such height inaccuracies in my thread

AS YOU CAN SEE IN THIS SCENE OF SAMUS BREAKING UP A FIGHT BETWEEN RIDLEY AND TWO RAYQUAZAE, AND A STEELIX JUST KIND OF HANGING OUT FOR NO REASON, Rayquaza is 7m long, so curled up like he is in Brawl takes away much of his height. For reference, Samus is 1.9m, so Rayquaza curled up is probably about 2.3m. It's hard sizing Ridley properly in that pose, he may actually be SLIGHTLY larger than presented.

Point is, Rayquaza is a Shrimp.
I guess what I'm trying to point out is that playable Ridley has to be made smaller to ensure that no fighters (excluding Giga Bowser) are bigger than the bosses. For one major instance, Ridley can't outsize Galleom.

Besides, I'd find it quite amusing to see Kyurem outsize Ridley, if Kyurem is a boss.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've heard it. It's probably my vote for stupidest reason.
Well, now that I remember... I did recall a person saying something along the lines of Ridley's moveset potential is greatly hindered by his lack of arms or the way his arms and legs are or somethin like that that would likely kill brain cells for any Ridley supporter.

That remind me when that "Huge Metroid fan who finished all the games of the serie" claimed that Dark Samus should be in instead since she appeared in more games than Ridley (he said that Super Metroid and Metroid Other M were all the games he was in).

It was hilarious when he refused to admit that he never played any of them and then jump on the Too Big argument.

Anyway my favorite argument against Ridley is that he will never be playable in smash bros since he was never playable in a Metroid game.

I admit I would love a playable Ridley in a future Metroid game and kick some galactic federation soldiers a** for once tough =)
That person you were talking about... Being backed into a corner like that after what he said must've been one of the most humiliating moments for any Ridley naysayer. Nice. And I actually have finished all the games so I would know what certain character have or haven't been in.

As for that last bit, I wrote a pretty elaborate idea on how Ridley could kill a bunch of them Federation jarheads and destroy Federation ships and stuff like that while controlling him, in a Metroid game story. Think the closest we may ever get though to being able to play on the Space Pirates' side in the future is with Weavel in another MPH kind of game or something. :\

Thats right, but people who doesnt want Ridley in, will always come up with illogical arguments about it.
True, I guess they'll say anything to discredit him, even if they know themselves that it doesn't make sense.

@ LiteTheIronMan: Ridley also appeared in that Metroid Pinball game, albeit in his Meta form since it was Prime themed, and in two forms in Metroid Blast if you wanna count that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Now that's just plain sad. (and hilarious)

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm surprised i'm still seeing people claim ridley's size is a factor for him not getting in....

wasn't this debunked as soon as olimar was revealed in brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno if it counts as an argument, but my favorite is "How will he walk?"

"With his legs"

Or maybe he'll just stick out his tongue and balance himself on it and inchworm across the ground like that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My favorite stupid anti-Ridley argument is "how will he use items like the Bunny Hood?" there have been people who have used that as an argument, right?

D

Deleted member

I dunno if it counts as an argument, but my favorite is "How will he walk?"

"With his legs"

Or maybe he'll just stick out his tongue and balance himself on it and inchworm across the ground like that.
No, he'll do that with his unibrow.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My favorite stupid anti-Ridley argument is "how will he use items like the Bunny Hood?" there have been people who have used that as an argument, right?
Most usually don't bother to take how he'll use items like those into consideration, but I'm sure it has been brought up before. Would like to see Ridley descending slowly with that umbrella item though. Would look adorably silly.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
@ LiteTheIronMan: Ridley also appeared in that Metroid Pinball game, albeit in his Meta form since it was Prime themed, and in two forms in Metroid Blast if you wanna count that.

well ****, dude, if I was to include his appearance in Nintendo Land and Pinball then he'd have a straight advantage over Ganon in terms of reappearing villains.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even without those appearances, he kind of already does in a way.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We've seen more then a dozen pictures of Pyrosphere.
We've seen gameplay footage of Pyrosphere.
We've even peered into the pits of hell itself TWICE.

I have confidence that Ridley is not a hazard.
Agree completely. However, it's Sakurai. Who might have listened to the vocal idiots and/or not bothered.

If he's not playable, then his role will being something even stupider than a stage hazard.

Ridley for Assist Sticker Boss.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Agree completely. However, it's Sakurai. Who might have listened to the vocal idiots and/or not bothered.

If he's not playable, then his role will being something even stupider than a stage hazard.

Ridley for Assist Sticker Boss.
I will shoot myself in a region of my body that will cause a large amount of pain if this happens. that way I can focus more on the pain and less on the poor decision making.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
NOW I remember the stupidest Ridley argument I've read!

"He can only fly/ Would have infinite jumps"

TEH STOOPID!! :hulk: And these people will gladly play ignorant in the face of Kirby, Pit, Charizard, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and even Samus herself who has the Space Jump. NOPE, only RIDLEY breaks the rules somehow. =_=

And yeah, 2nd place goes to the "He'd look stupid with the Bunny Hood item" argument. I've seen it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Ridley would look rather dapper in a Bunny Hood...it offers a nice look at his softer side. :awesome:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Someone who doesnt know Metroid could easily say that Ridley is a Pokemon. But that kind of people must ashamed because of not knowing Metroid.

Groose

Smash Champion
Even without those appearances, he kind of already does in a way.
Eh... Ganon(dorf) is almost always featured as the main villain and final boss fight. Ridley is more of the "boss's right hand man" type character and "penultimate" boss fight... even when he is pulling the strings. I'd say they're about equal in terms of importance to their own series, even if Ridley appears more consistently.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Eh... Ganon(dorf) is almost always featured as the main villain and final boss fight. Ridley is more of the "boss's right hand man" type character and "penultimate" boss fight... even when he is pulling the strings. I'd say they're about equal in terms of importance to their own series, even if Ridley appears more consistently.
Hence why I only said "in a way" instead of going all "Ridley totally has the straight advantage over him as a villain". But yeah, I agree with what you're saying. Sounds about right.

Top Bottom