• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO TAKE OUR CAUSE SERIOUSLY IF WE LOLI-FY RIDLEY

GRANTED THEY NEVER DID TO BEGIN WITH BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE **** HEADS

NOW THEY'LL JUST THINK WE'RE WEIRD

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread is going places. Uncomfortable places.
Like holes? :troll:

I just met a guy who likes smash bros.

We talked about the new one and I said I wanted Ridley.

*Guy goes to too big arguement*

*gets curb stomped by logic*

*guy goes to no moveset*

*curb stomped*

*guy goes to OP moveset*

*curb stomped*

*complains about Wii Fit Trainer*

Point is. I think people dislike Ridley for whatever reason and try to think of reasons why he couldn't work that don't have much merit.

Thing is... Why hate Ridley?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
One time a guy messaged me asking if I was a scalie like him since I supported Ridley so much. That was weird.

Y'know it's kind of funny, unfortunately we expect people to support certain characters based on how their **** feels toward them, but characters like Ridley aren't immune from that either. There was a member in the Brawl days that thought he was pretty hot too.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Y'know it's kind of funny, unfortunately we expect people to support certain characters based on how their **** feels toward them, but characters like Ridley aren't immune from that either.
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe one day you'll see the truth.

Food for thought: Would Ridley's pre-evo stages count as furry, feather***, scalie or all 4?

Morbi

Scavenger

Food for thought: Would Ridley's pre-evo stages count as furry, feather***, scalie or all 4?
My mind is blown. I suppose Ridley's pre-evo would entail being all 3. I am not seeing the fourth option (probably because I am tired).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BUT MY RESPONSE IS EITHER, **** was censored so it could be either **** or **** so I'm respecting everybody's anatomy here; OR, are you saying the truth IS NOT that no body is safe from everyone's **** or **** because you of all people should know how true it is I mean really.

ALSO, I just realized that even though Jigglypuff is Ridley's new nightmare since it's a fairy now which means it's immune to dragon attacks, Ridley could probably just mega evolve (meta-evolve?) into Meta-Ridley since fairy is weak to steel.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BUT MY RESPONSE IS EITHER, **** was censored so it could be either **** or **** so I'm respecting everybody's anatomy here; OR, are you saying the truth IS NOT that no body is safe from everyone's **** or **** because you of all people should know how true it is I mean really.

ALSO, I just realized that even though Jigglypuff is Ridley's new nightmare since it's a fairy now which means it's immune to dragon attacks, Ridley could probably just mega evolve (meta-evolve?) into Meta-Ridley since fairy is weak to steel.
No. Jigglypuff would still beat Ridley. Metal Claw doesn't scare her.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Good thinking, or have him omega-evolve into Omega Ridley, who would be half steel (because of the metal/mechanical parts from Meta-Ridley) and half poison (since Phazon is poisonous).

Phazon's effect on Jigglypuff would be the same as the effect of the move Toxic in Pokemon where the poison gets worse every turn. :troll:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ridley beat her for 5 generations, so 5-1 is still a respectable record. Ridley probably learns camouflage anyway.

Also unless I'm off it was a she (pair of shes if you count me). Then again there was probably more who didn't admit it.

Kamiko

Smash Ace

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well lucky for Whispy, Ridley's not a vegetarian.

And with that I shall say good night.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
you know what? it'd totally be Sakurai-esque to put in Whispy instead of Ridley, though.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
A question for Ridley supporters, particularly those who were pissed off at him being a boss in Brawl. Is it the concept of playable Ridley vs boss Ridley itself that gets you all so heated up over it, or is it more the fact that Ridley is really the only feasible Metroid rep? Like, if there were other Metroid reps that deserved to be in the game and so Metroid wasn't given the shaft in terms of playable representation, would you all care so much about the lack of playable Ridley and his inclusion as a boss battle instead?

**edit** I just discovered that "piss" isn't covered by the censor

Huh

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
A question for Ridley supporters, particularly those who were pissed off at him being a boss in Brawl. Is it the concept of playable Ridley vs boss Ridley itself that gets you all so heated up over it, or is it more the fact that Ridley is really the only feasible Metroid rep? Like, if there were other Metroid reps that deserved to be in the game and so Metroid wasn't given the shaft in terms of playable representation, would you all care so much about the lack of playable Ridley and his inclusion as a boss battle instead?
If Ganondorf were never playable but was simply a stage hazard or boss or assist trophy throughout the series, we'd be pissed. It's the same thing with Ridley. He's the main antagonist of Metroid, he deserves to be playable, and he's ****ing cool.

There are other potential Metroid reps (though admittedly, none as important or good as Ridley). We just want him because he deserves to be in, and all excuses for keeping him out are either bull**** or can be worked around.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
For me, it was just frustrating that Ridley wasn't playable in Brawl. Him being a boss was simply the physical evidence that he was not playable. As Hero_42 said, any role other than part of the roster was "the wrong role" in my eyes.

As for the other question, I consider Zero Suit Samus herself less deserving than Ridley. I think that says it all about my view.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan

it's split into a few reasons for me.

1. Ridley is the most relevant Metroid representative. Samus has been alone since SSB64 if we exclude her ZSS transformation. Metroid needs more representatives in Smash than just two versions of the same character.

2. to have such a highly demanded character for Brawl- and arguably the most demanded newcomer for Smash 4- be relegated to a boss battle or even a stage hazard is pretty insulting, yes.

3. I'm really tired of the anti-Ridley player base and I want them to shut up. Ridley making it or breaking it will determine whether said players will merely be silenced or become more vocal.

I would be okay with Ridley not making it in in favor of a Hunter or Dark Samus from the Prime games, or even Anthony Higgs because he was my favorite part of Other M. however, that's only because I'd be happy with more representatives for my favorite franchise in Smash. the dealbreaker is Ridley himself- I want him in Smash more than any other character from any franchise.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
it's split into a few reasons for me.

1. Ridley is the most relevant Metroid representative. Samus has been alone since SSB64 if we exclude her ZSS transformation. Metroid needs more representatives in Smash than just two versions of the same character.
Thanks to this, I was reminded of yet another STUPID argument against Ridley's inclusion I've read:

"The Metroid series is about Samus being alone. Adding another character would go against what Metroid's about. (Read: I don't want Ridley in, so I'd rather burn the whole building than him have a chance.) "

And people wonder why Ridley supporters seem to be so stubborn...:glare:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I would've been less salty about Ridley's role in Brawl if he was actually a decent boss fight.

Indeed. Maybe part of the problem is Ridley has been more dynamic as a boss in his own games, which makes sense considering how they work. Meanwhile, Porky and Rayquaza were originally JRPG bosses, and Petey Piranha was given a very specific role in SSE, so his behaviors can be overlooked. Every other SSE boss is original.

Meta-Ridley admittedly wasn't bad. It was at least unique. But we weren't expecting playable Meta-Ridley over Wholemeat Ridley... >_>

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Although to be honest I'm starting to sympathize with the Ridley fans more and more with the complete lack of Kremlings in the DKCR games...

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Speaking as a non-supporter

I just died a little inside reading that

Oh hey, welcome back!

I just don't see a Smash portrayal of Ridley doing the character any justice at all. If he gets in and is actually good, then by all means I'll eat my own words. No really, I'll write it out on a piece of paper and record myself swallowing it.
Just gonna leave this here in case anyone forgot. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
you know what? it'd totally be Sakurai-esque to put in Whispy instead of Ridley, though.
Why, because the Kirby series is his baby? He withheld Meta Knight, Dedede, or someone like that from being in Melee due to his humbleness, to be fair.

A question for Ridley supporters, particularly those who were pissed off at him being a boss in Brawl. Is it the concept of playable Ridley vs boss Ridley itself that gets you all so heated up over it, or is it more the fact that Ridley is really the only feasible Metroid rep?
I guess at heart it's the former for me, because if I really wanted to see Ridley as a boss again I would just replay a Metroid game or something. A new Smash shouldn't be something I gotta play for that, where him being playable is also feasible as shown by a bunch of the other newcomers.

As for an alternate Metroid "rep", Dark Samus is about the only other one I can think of at the moment. Would still be disappointed if she got in over Ridley, but at least I could stomach it a lot more than a one-shot character like one of the other hunters or anyone currently exclusive to Other M getting in over Ridley. Another version of Samus also might be more acceptable I guess if worse comes to worse, like how ZSS got in over Ridley in Brawl (not to say ZSS is more "significant" or essential than Ridley as a whole however).

I would've been less salty about Ridley's role in Brawl if he was actually a decent boss fight.
This too. A boss fight more true to the character and more true to Meta-Ridley's arsenal could've worked wonders, even if Ridley still hadn't been playable. As it is though pretty much the only thing Brawl did in respecting the character for me was the SSE cutscene before fighting him with Samus and Pikachu, and the theme remix. Better than nothing I suppose. At least Sakurai started the trend with Ridley's wall-dragging attack thing.

Top Bottom