• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking it comes from the Captain N comics. I believe they were published in individual volumes though.

D

Deleted member

Actually, it is Ridley. Racklas appears in the last panel of the 2nd page on that Wiki, tied up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, didn't look at all of both pages at first, but I guess that explains it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Man, how Shameful. I let this thread get Swallowed up by all those others Suppoting Second-rate characters...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question: assuming that Ridley is a playable character, do you think he should be a starter or unlockable?

:phone:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Question: assuming that Ridley is a playable character, do you think he should be a starter or unlockable?

:phone:
I don't really get all this fuss, I mean who cares, but still.
I would like him to be unlockable, but if he's really in, I think it will be there from the start, and characters like Metaknight and Dedede will become unlockable.

Anyway, I would like this idea for the next Smash: assuming the roster will be around 50 slots, let's say the starter roster is of 10.
Not 10 precised characters though, but 10 random characters. Every copy of Smash 4 has a different starting roster, chosen randomly. So every single character has actually a way to be unlocked.

Just random thought, I don't see this happening for many reasons, but I would like it a lot.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't like the idea of Ridley becoming a Smash character. He's too big, and your size makes him TOO small. ;-; It just doesn't seem right to reduce his size.

D

Deleted member

Olimar is the size of a quarter compared to Mario's 5 ft 1 in. size (as said in the Pikmin manual)

He's clearly not smaller than Mario's foot in Smash.

Also:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't like the idea of Ridley becoming a Smash character. He's too big, and your size makes him TOO small. ;-; It just doesn't seem right to reduce his size.

Looks just fine to me. Unless you think Samus is too big now.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Olimar is the size of a quarter compared to Mario's 5 ft 1 in. size (as said in the Pikmin manual)

He's clearly not smaller than Mario's foot in Smash.

Also:

Looks just fine to me. Unless you think Samus is too big now.
Yep.....:bee:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
ok.

ANYWAY, as for unlockability... it's really hard to say. He'd make sense as a sort of Dedede or Bowser-like character. Highly wanted familiar face to greet you when you first play. Could also be kind of like Mewtwo where he's supposed to be more like a surprise. Something you're left wanting. Something to work for.

I think I will guess Starter though. BUT THAT MAY JUST BE ME WANTING IT TO BE TRUE so that I don't have to wait until the game is released.

splat

Smash Lord
Question: assuming that Ridley is a playable character, do you think he should be a starter or unlockable?]
I'm hoping Sakurai makes all the characters that have some sort of antagonistic role (so that includes Dedede, Metaknight, Mewtwo, Wario and Wolf, not just the true villains) unlockables, all of which are unlocked by 'redeeming' them in the new SSE-like game mode.

I like my starting rosters small anyway. I'd rather see him unlockable.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ridley as an unlockable.

Beat certain number of Vs. matches (let's just say 250 for now) or beat him in the boss rush mode. (i can see him being a boss in the new game's adventure/single player mode)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Unlockable, for sure. I agree with a previous post that most of the outright villanous characters should be unlockables.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
ok.

ANYWAY, as for unlockability... it's really hard to say. He'd make sense as a sort of Dedede or Bowser-like character. Highly wanted familiar face to greet you when you first play. Could also be kind of like Mewtwo where he's supposed to be more like a surprise. Something you're left wanting. Something to work for.

I think I will guess Starter though. BUT THAT MAY JUST BE ME WANTING IT TO BE TRUE so that I don't have to wait until the game is released.
What do you mean just "ok"?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Most people on SB are sick of hearing the "Ridley's too big" argument, since
a) It's based on a misinterperetation of something Sakurai said

and
b)It's been proven as a bullsh*t argument many times, and yet there are still people who think it's a legitimate reason for Ridley to not be included.

So he probably disagrees with you, but doesn't feel like responding since it's been done so many times before.

BTW, Oasis, can you put this gif from the Melee intro into the OP, as well as this image GY posted?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well, read back a bit, you know, somewhere like page 1? This argument is terribly flawed, terribly. Olimar is the size of baby Mario's little toe, and that's pushing it. Bowser is the size of about, I don't know, probably about 30-40 Hippowdons? Not sure if that is enough, maybe 50.

Beat me to it Shinpichu!!!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also, I'm afraid if I add those images it's giving more credence to the argument than it deserves. Though I already messed that up by posting all those other examples. WAY TO GO, M&S.
True, but since there are plenty of idiots who still seem to think "he's too big" and don't have the time/patience to read through the 60+ pages of this thread to find the posts that have disproved the argument, I still think it would be a good thing to do.

Plus, whenever somebody posts on this thread that Ridley is too big, they look like an even bigger idiot because they couldn't be bothered to read the OP.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If there's any characters that we can be almost positive that they'll be in SSB4, it's Ridley.

IMO the only one closer to guaranteed is Palutena.

D

Deleted member

Despite how likely we all think he is, I still feel he's far from "almost postively" in the game.
At this point, I don't consider anyone fitting in that category. It can go either way with plenty of characters.
That's not to say his chances are low, they're pretty damn high.
It's just that Sakurai could easily deem him "pretty impossible" again and not find effort to make him work to be worth it.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double post, but I had to post this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9kWEtC-hQ

Anyone who says Ridley can't work after seeing this is dumb. :bee:
(Yes, I'm aware he is a Charizard skin, but ignore that and focus on how he works at a noticeably larger size to the rest of the cast without being too cheap or too pathetic.)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If there's any characters that we can be almost positive that they'll be in SSB4, it's Ridley.

IMO the only one closer to guaranteed is Palutena.
It's posts like this that make me lose faith in these boards >.<

Despite how likely we all think he is, I still feel he's far from "almost postively" in the game.
At this point, I don't consider anyone fitting in that category. It can go either way with plenty of characters.
That's not to say his chances are low, they're pretty damn high.
It's just that Sakurai could easily deem him "pretty impossible" again and not find effort to make him work to be worth it.
This, I completely agree with.

And just because a kid icarus game was made. Does not mean in the slightest. That another kid icarus character will be in sm4sh. Classic characters. Get one rep.

Just because sakurai is making the game doesn't mean he'll put extra of his characters in. look at melee, only Kirby.

When thinking about what characters get in, you can't defer to logic, we're all under the foot of a giant insane space monkey who makes the decisions. Sure, the obvious, like mario and such, will be in. But there are always WTF characters (ice climbers, Pkmn trainer)

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100811.gif

There are always characters that sakurai doesn't acknowledge until it's too late (ridley, krystal)

And there are characters who 'aren't fighters', or are just insignificant that have fanbases, like animal crosser, ashley, and palutena.

and you can't take anything anyone on these boards say for granted, because we're all biased fans who know everything we know about these games from our own interpretations of the same repeated sources, which have their own biases.

/biasedrant

Top Bottom