• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Man, I know what Psycho means, why can't you. Ridley shouldn't throw punches. Just because he capable of it doesn't mean he should, like he shouldn't slap or do roundhouse kicks.

D

Deleted member

As a fellow Godzilla fan, I'm surprised that you cannot see how Silly that sounds.

I mean, Godzilla is typically portrayed as a force of nature that goes around smashing things just by walking around and spraying his atomic breath. Or his tail.
And in combat, he's fighting tooth to claw, and tossing aside other monsters with brute force.

Granted, we got the campy moments from the Showa series, but those aside, you wouldn't see Godzilla throwing punches and kicks, yet that's exactly what he does in the Godzilla fighting games, in addition to what he typically does. Are you telling me that they are bad because of making Big G do that sort of thing? (Yes, Unleashed was a horrible game, but for many different reasons that are at fault of the fighting system and the controls that the previous games did much better at.)

So what makes it any different if Ridley throws a punch or two? It doesn't make him any less Ridley than he is. Especially if it's just a one time deal like Bowser's Forward Tilt being a backfist. The punching from Other M would make a great Forward Smash IMO. (Tail stab as Forward Tilt; I didn't forget it.)

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I agree with you! Ridley would be great for the first trailer because he's so wanted and would excite a large amount of people!
I would hate it if he was in the opening like melee and then wasnt playable. And if they release a game play trailer, for max boost I would say put either Rool or Ridley in, or another big wanted, for max effect

:phone:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If they are revealing new characters in the reveal trailer, i think it would make sense to include Ridley in it if Samus is included, or K.Rool if Donkey Kong is in it, or maybe even Ghirahim if they include Link. Then add in a few brand new characters like Shulk, Isaac, Little Mac etc...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Man, I know what Psycho means, why can't you. Ridley shouldn't throw punches. Just because he capable of it doesn't mean he should, like he shouldn't slap or do roundhouse kicks.
I can agree with this. Ridley has talons, claws. he's more bird of prey like. Punching as him would feel... off.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
You guys take it too literally,punching won't make him go kung fu,I can imagine a down throw where he throw you on the ground and then he punch the ground where he threw you,I can even imagine thin Ridley doing that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You could even think of it this way: For a character with as many attack options as Ridley, would you want to waste one of the few available slots for a punch when he'd have to balance it all out with biting, claw, and tail attacks. Also, for any move where a punch would be an appropriate attack, a clawing attack would no doubt be a better fit.

D

Deleted member

It adds more variety.
I mean, you can only do so much with claws, biting and tail attacks before it gets stale. But again, punching would be used very sparingly, and like I said, his one-two punch from Other M would make a good Forward Smash.

It's no more ridiculous than Sonic using his quils for an attack.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It adds more variety.
I mean, you can only do so much with claws, biting and tail attacks before it gets stale. But again, punching would be used very sparingly, and like I said, his one-two punch from Other M would make a good Forward Smash.
You keep mentioning that, which confuses me because as far as I can tell that is a claw attack.

D

Deleted member

Hmm...looking at the Other M fight again, he did not do a one-two punch.
Those WERE claw attacks.

I was confusing it for a single punch used in 0:21 in this video. I'm pretty sure that IS a punch.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahJs_xtc_8
It looks like a right hook.

D

Deleted member

See, you say a punch would be off, but I say wing attacks would be off.
He's not really known for attacking with his wings and they are only used for flight (correct me if I'm wrong in a non-Smash example).

I mean, just because he can do it doesn't mean he should, after all. Isn't that what is being argued?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think of it like how I would if Luigi were to go around biting people because he has teeth. It just feels...weird to me. Just my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And of course you know my opinion on the matter

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone needs to accept the fact that Ridley won't be a playable character. Sakurai has said that he doesn't think Ridley should be playable. The chances of it happening are actually really low.

I'm not saying that I don't support Ridley though. I would welcome Ridley in the next Smash Bros. More so than Dark Samus :/ Dark Samus would end up a semi-clone, no matter how much someone makes up an original moveset. It would be bound to happen.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think everyone needs to accept the fact that Ridley won't be a playable character. Sakurai has said that he doesn't think Ridley should be playable. The chances of it happening are actually really low.
>LOL<

please read updated and pertinent information before posting

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm not saying that I don't support Ridley though. I would welcome Ridley in the next Smash Bros. More so than Dark Samus :/ Dark Samus would end up a semi-clone, no matter how much someone makes up an original moveset. It would be bound to happen.
Except that he never said he shouldn't be playable, only that it would take a bit of work. With so little viable choices remaining, unlike in Brawl, they're quite likely to take the extra time for Ridley.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
>LOL<

please read updated and pertinent information before posting
"Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]"

He said that if they put their best efforts into it, they may have been able. But, read the "I think that would probably be pretty impossible" part. Idk, sounds like a no to me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, everything is impossible if you don't even try it

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He said that if they put their best efforts into it, they may have been able. But, read the "I think that would probably be pretty impossible" part. Idk, sounds like a no to me.
Selective reading much?

At least you aren't parroting "Ridley's too big" unlike some people.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Selective reading much?

At least you aren't parroting "Ridley's too big" unlike some people.
Ridley's not too big, anyone that says that is a troll. I'm not doing selective reading either, I'm just stating what he said. I'm not saying there is zero possibility, it just seems lower to me. Sakurai will probably be too stupid to realize fans want Ridley. I hope I'm wrong though.

All I'm saying is don't get too overhyped about Ridley being a playable character, because then a lot of people will be massively butthurt if he's not in.

Picture unrelated. Memories of Ridley not being in Brawl

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Especially with him being one of the most requested(within top 3 prob with Mewtwo & K. Rool )to get in.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace

This is so funny i might actually write it down so we can look back to this moment and say, "Suck It!"
The most requested characters will get in, and i think Ridley is one of those characters.

And Gold, thats what i mean, he can do it, but it doesn't mean he should.

I never noticed, but he has elbow spikes. He could do an elbow jab :troll:
But he does have wing spikes so he could lean forward and jab them over his head.
Just because he can, doesn't mean he should.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ridley is almost certainly gonna be in because of the lack of big name characters left to add into SSB. he was planned as an assist trophy and half of those are being considered for characters. Not only that but with only really 1 rep from Metroid the obvious next step is to put in Ridley. Throw his popularity on top and you've got a nice Ridley sundae.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
This is so funny i might actually write it down so we can look back to this moment and say, "Suck It!"
The most requested characters will get in, and i think Ridley is one of those characters.
Umm...I changed my opinion a while back.You're being obnoxious as if I said Ridley is a piece of ****. Everyones being a little too defensive of Ridley. Which is why I said, you're gonna get butthurt if you rely on Ridley being a playable character. You never know, there is a possibility that Ridley won't be in.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Everyones being a little too defensive of Ridley. Which is why I said, you're gonna get butthurt if you rely on Ridley being a playable character.
you DID come to the ridley for sm4sh thread xD sorry if I sounded like a ****

Yes, this is our shortcoming. but it is also our strength.

I'm ignoring the last part of your post, as explained by this post

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
you DID come to the ridley for sm4sh thread xD sorry if I sounded like a ****

Yes, this is our shortcoming. but it is also our strength.

I'm ignoring the last part of your post, as explained by this post
I'm also sorry if I have sounded like a big ***hole trying to bring your spirits down. I shouldn't have said Ridley has no chance, that was stupid of me. You are all right, Ridley does have a much higher chance than previous Smash Bros.! He has been requested a lot is close to the top.

I WANT RIDLEY FOR NEXT SMASH BROS.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]"

When he said they may have been able to do it if they had put their best efforts into it, that basically contradicted Sakurai's first statement about it being pretty impossible. So overall, it sounded like he wasn't really sure what to think of Ridley being playable at the time and was just talking out of his *** when asked about Rids during that part of the NP interview. :p

A lot of people do seem to have selective reading when it comes to that whole quote though. Not referring to you necessarily, but some of the anti-Ridley fanboys in general. Find it kinda funny now that a statement like that from like four years ago is still even used as part of an argument today.

All I'm saying is don't get too overhyped about Ridley being a playable character, because then a lot of people will be massively butthurt if he's not in.

Picture unrelated. Memories of Ridley not being in Brawl
That's something that can be said about any highly requested character though really. Don't get too overhyped or sure of yourself that they'll be playable or you'll set yourself up for disappointment, blahblahblah. I agree though that one should keep that in mind after what happened with Brawl, but that doesn't mean one needs to be overly pessimistic about said character's chances either like you were kind of being with Ridley (no offense of course).

And Gold, thats what i mean, he can do it, but it doesn't mean he should.

I never noticed, but he has elbow spikes. He could do an elbow jab :troll:
But he does have wing spikes so he could lean forward and jab them over his head.
Just because he can, doesn't mean he should.
Think you're being unnecessarily defensive about what Vyzor was saying, and I believe most versions of Ridley have some sort of elbow spike, just Other M's stand out more with being longer and more obvious.

The whole "he can do it but that doesn't mean he should" thing is getting kinda lame and overused now. Might as well apply that logic to just about any of Ridley's attacks while we're at it for the sake of arguing. >.>

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You think that's cute. But really, Kirby just gutted a baby Ridley and is wearing it's skin as a warning to rest of his species.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure demon furby to dragon isn't any more wierd than clam to eel.

Top Bottom