• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So everything Other Ridley had and showed that the other versions didn't is just trivial crap? I guess that's why you even included one of its abilities in your moveset on the 1st post. :troll:
Not everything, just the trivial crap you mentioned.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Stop fighting!
Other M can and always will bring out the worst in every Metroid fan.
Now lets just take the argument about the design, put it away in a little box, and shove it out the window. In the fight itself, Ridley has never looked better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW1KcaD80k&feature=player_detailpage#t=1799s
He was extremely limited in his 2D fights, but now, with OM strange 3rd person style, his is given room to spread his wings, metaphorically speaking.
By using Oasis moveset from the Op, and tweaking a little, add a design, and Poof, Ridley
[COLLAPSE="Moveset"]
A – Quickly swipes with left hand claws. Fixed knockback. 4%-2%
AA – Follows up with right hand claws. Fixed knockback. 3%
AAA – Follows up with a quick bite. All together relatively good damage. 5%
Dash – Ridley spins above the ground (think Falco’s F-air) to lightly knock opponents upward. 10%-7%

F-tilt – Extends neck to bite. Awkward to connect due to the length of his neck. Could very well miss an opponent that is too close. Good damage and horizontal knockback to compensate. 12%-9%
U-tilt – Quickly puts his head down and lifts it upward over his body in an arcing motion. Flips opponents up into the air with fixed knockback. Naturally combos into U-smash. Does not hit behind him. 11%-8%
D-tilt – Sweeps the ground in front of him with his tail. One of his faster ground attacks and can trip opponents. 9%-5%

F-smash – Winds up his tail while charging, then stabs straight forward. Sweetspot at the tip which can KO. Awkward to connect like his F-tilt. Good damage and a bit of ending lag. 17-15%
U-smash – Breathes a single large burst of fire upward. Combos with U-tilt. Good damage and knockback. Does not hit to either side of him. 16%-14%
D-smash – Lowers himself and spins around once. While spinning he extends his tail outward and breathes fire. The fire does not have much knockback, but may be followed up by the tail at lower percentages. The tail is mainly what you want to hit with. It sends opponents up into the air. His slowest ground attack. This move recalls an attack from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Tail: 9%, Fire: 6%

N-air – Spins his tail around his body (clockwise when facing to the left). Think Meta Knight, Wolf, etc. Tip knocks opponents outward, while non-tip hits knock opponents at the angle they were hit. Combo potential. Mostly just gets opponents off you. Sweetspot: 13%, Sourspot: 7%
F-air – Stabs tail forward quickly. Already a good KO move, but a sweetspotted tip makes it even more so. Tipper: 18%, Non-Tipper: 12%
B-air – Twirls his tail closely behind his body for multiple (six) hits. Similar to Yoshi’s. 2% every hit, finishing hit is 5%
D-air – Stabs his tail downward. Tip sweetspots with a meteor smash. If not sweetspotted, it causes a pogo effect similar to Link’s. Sweetspot: 14%, Sourspot: 8%
U-air – Attacks with wing spikes. Slight upward knockback. Can probably hit with it a few times if you’re moving upward, like with Meta-Knight’s. 5%

Glide attack – A strong bite. As strong as Charizard’s. 12%

Pummel – While holding opponent by their head, he breathes fire on them. Relatively slow yet damaging among pummel attacks. 4%
F-throw – While holding opponent by their head, he quickly stabs them with his tail about five times, then with a sends them flying with a stronger sixth stab. Very damaging. 2% each stab, 4% last stab
U-throw – Grabs opponents with his talons and carries them into the air while swatting them twice with his tail. He quickly descends, slamming them into the ground with all his weight. Most damaging throw due to the high vulnerability. Opponents are sent upward after being slammed. 4% each swipe, 7% on slam
D-throw – Grabs opponents in his mouth, raises them upward and brutally slams them into the ground. Very damaging. 12%
B-throw – Stabs tail into opponent while they are in his grasp. He then flings his opponent, now impaled on his tail, behind him. 8%

Special – (Fireball) – When tapping the special button, Ridley releases a spray of four fireballs. They travel a relatively short distance for a projectile, and are essentially a wall of hitboxes. They do not do much knockback or damage. When holding special, Ridley releases a single large fireball. This fireball travels a longer distance, and causes more knockback and damage. When done in the air, the large fireball travels in a downward diagonal direction. If it were to hit the ground, a small damaging shockwave comes from the impact. His special can actually be used while gliding to fire up to four shots that “bomb” the stage. These do little damage and knockback. 2% each fireball, 5% on large one, 2% on shockwave
Side Special – (Command Grab) – Ridley flies forward a distance longer than Ganondorf’s side special, but with slightly longer startup. Ridley can only do this once in the air, but he will not be put into a helpless state. If the grab connects Ridley will essentially act as though he has a second normal grab. He can pummel opponents with his tail, and opponents can also break out of the grab. On the ground, “throwing” forward or back causes Ridley to drag the opponent across the ground for a set distance, racking up damage. At the end of the animation (he cannot fall off ledges during this) he will simply toss the opponent upward. You can also simply throw the opponent upward to begin with as a sort of “U-throw” option. Unlike Bowser and Ganondorf, Ridley has wings and does not have to plummet to the ground when connecting his command grab in the air. Again, while in the air it is essentially a second grab. There are no “F-throw” and “B-throw” options in the air, but you can “U-throw” opponents upward. You can also dive-bomb while holding the opponent as a “D-throw.” This will result in a suicide if done off the stage. Same percents as normal throws.
Down Special – (Reflector) – Holding down special charges up a reflector. While charging, you are vulnerable to any attack. Once the charge is complete, you can move around freely as though you have a Franklin Badge. Ridley’s skin darkens while you have these properties, accompanied by particle effects. All together, the charge time and effect time lasts about 3.5 to 4 seconds.
Up Special – (Fly/Unfly) – This move is similar to R.O.B. and Pit’s Up Specials. It works with Ridley’s five jumps. If you were to use Fly (and Unfly) five times, Ridley could no longer jump, and vice versa if you were to jump five times, you would not be able to use Fly. Pressing down while using Fly causes Ridley to Unfly. You are not put into a helpless state. You can attack with aerials normally while Flying, as well as after Unflying. Like R.O.B.’s “fuel,” you can only Fly for a certain amount of time – 3.5 seconds.

Final Smash – Meta-Ridley Transfo—**** THAT. SPACE PIRATE RAID: The camera zooms in on Ridley as he roars to summon two Space Pirate ships. The Space Pirates hop out to attack Ridley’s opponents. Think of them as enemies from Melee’s adventure mode. They have limited methods of attack, and can be attacked and killed themselves. The problem for your opponents is that there would be so many of them to deal with. The amount would depend on the amount of players, and Ridley’s damage. There would also be different kinds of Space Pirates that hop out. Grey pirates are the simplest to kill, with only a small amount of health. Green pirates have more health, Red have even more, and Gold pirates have the most. They all attack by shooting beams (which can be fired horizontally or diagonally upward) and jumping. Gold pirates can do a jump kick which has a lot of knockback. They disappear after a set amount of time.[/COLLAPSE]
Not sure about the Reflector or Command Grab, but it is good. Instead of the Grab, why not have a Tail Stab that would be similar to Marth's. It charges up and then WHAMO! Tail shoots forward and hits an opponent, long charge up also means lots of damage and knockback. Or as another idea for a Side/Down Special, a Tail Grind. Charges up and then skates across the ground like in the boss fight from Brawl. It would drag enemies along with it, lots of damage opportunity but low knockback, with duration of the grind depending on charge up. It could be canceled, so you don't fall off an edge. In midair, you would shoot down at an angle, like Sonic or ZSS Dair, and then do the grind.
You could keep the Command Grab and loose the Reflector, or the other way around.

Just not another Other M argument. I don't like his body either, but the game is out.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Here's something I can get behind. There is no excuse for Metroid to only have one rep. and the other bounty hunters from the Prime Series are too forgettable to warrant appearing in a Smash Bros. game. I really do hope Ridley is in SSB4.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not everything, just the trivial crap you mentioned.
What I mentioned were a couple of the most important things Other Ridley had going for him as a fighter that no other iteration displayed before... no matter how you downplay or try to deny it.

Not sure about the Reflector or Command Grab, but it is good. Instead of the Grab, why not have a Tail Stab that would be similar to Marth's. It charges up and then WHAMO! Tail shoots forward and hits an opponent, long charge up also means lots of damage and knockback. Or as another idea for a Side/Down Special, a Tail Grind. Charges up and then skates across the ground like in the boss fight from Brawl. It would drag enemies along with it, lots of damage opportunity but low knockback, with duration of the grind depending on charge up. It could be canceled, so you don't fall off an edge. In midair, you would shoot down at an angle, like Sonic or ZSS Dair, and then do the grind.
You could keep the Command Grab and loose the Reflector, or the other way around.

Just not another Other M argument. I don't like his body either, but the game is out.
Since Ridley would be bound to have plenty tail-based attacks as physical A-button moves anyway (whether as a regular, or tilt, smash, aerial, etc.), I don't think he needs to have one or two of them as specials as well, so the Command Grab and Other M's Reflector is fine as it is IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see how having giant ape arms makes him more of a fighter than he ever was.

Besides, I'd rather see Ridley clawing and biting than punching

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep. As for some punching, why the hell not?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because that depicts Ridley as a brute rather than a monster

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Again, he can be both.

D

Deleted member

I guess Wolf is a monster and not a rogue.

I mean, if he was a rogue, he'd be beating people senseless, not using his claws to slash them. :troll: Only MONSTERS use their claws.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He wouldn't be both, he'd just be a brute.

Ridley is a tactical genius in the body of a horrifying monster.

Punching would be like "Me Ridley. Me SMASH!!!"

The irony of that statement is not my point

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, he punched some when fighting in the manga too IIRC. He can do that, while clawing or biting would add insult to injury for the opponent.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is a sadistic sonuva*****. Any method possible that he can inflict harm, he will take it.

Claws, tail, biting, punching, smashing, crushing, fire, whatever. It all fits.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
When I think of a Brute, I think of Halo.
It is like Pyshco said, he is genius that doesn't mindlessly charge around.
And Bowser has claws, fangs, and horns, and he still punches.

:phone:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So I guess now it's an argument on whether or not Ridley should be able to fight like his Other M self. >.> At least we're not going at it over the design anymore.

D

Deleted member

He certainly shouldn't fight like Brawl.

He was a Dyna Blade clone.

D

Deleted member

Watch a couple of Dyna Blade fight videos from Kirby Super Star and Super Star Ultra. You'll see pleny of similarities.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Did you know having giant ape arms and walking on all fours makes him more humanoid.
I never said it was the arms, but things like the neck, being less lanky with how he fights, etc. certainly makes him more humanoid compared to before.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I never said it was the arms, but things like the neck, being less lanky with how he fights, etc. certainly makes him more humanoid compared to before.
It's negligible, especially when applying it to Smash. In case you forgot what you were arguing, you were saying "he's more humanoid" and "he's on the ground longer" would be why they would be MORE LIKELY to choose that design over others, when any design would work perfectly well doing those things. Which is dumb. I'm not denying that design is a possibility, even likely, but those are not the factors in that. NOR am I denying that Other M portrayed Ridley in a great way, which it did. SIMPLY, HE'S UGLY.

ALSO YEAH, having Ridley throwing punches is dumb.

D

Deleted member

Using the fighting style would be because of he fights primarily on the ground to give him legitimate moves to use for once.

Using the design would be because it suits the fighting style more and because it's the newest take on the character.

Don't mix up the reasons, Prime. ;)

Scar86

Smash Cadet
Guy's If anyone actually Thinks Ridley is too big for Smash Brothers, just remember

-Kirby is 8 inches tall

-Pikachu is 1'8

-Olimar is the size of a quarter.

Now here's the only probelm with Ridley

his size in relation to other characters was ALREADY ESTABLISHED in the Previous game during the fight in the Subspace Emmissary. Would Nintendo really make him smaller?

D

Deleted member

They did.

Cutscene Ridley is much larger than Boss Ridley. His size is so inconsistant, he can't retain the same size even in the same game. :laugh:

And then Meta Ridley is even smaller (most of his size is from his wings) than THAT!

As for an example of "size in relation to other characters", play Smash 64, and put DK next to Samus. DK is considerably larger, right? Now pop in Brawl and do the same. They're near the same size.
I haven't checked DK vs. Samus in Melee, though.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
While I think it's more likely that we'll get the Ridley from brawl there is no denying how well the one from other M was combat wise being the best balance of aerial and ground offensive. There's also no denying that he was ugly as hell(although Ridley was never pretty and Metriod Fusion's was uglier). I think the appearance also makes him come off more monsterous/beastly and thus makes for a more fitting look IMO. It does seem that the bulkier Ridley would be a better suit to brawl though.

Just for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW1KcaD80k&feature=related

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
^That is the thought a lot of us have.
But his design just looks so bad.
Even the corruption boss fights didn't have Ridley as awesome as he was in OM
And also, Yay 50 pages.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The thing that we don't know is if they plan on continuing to depict Ridley in this manner. If they they are then I think it's likely that design will get in. If another Metroid is gonna come out and he has his old design then I think it's more likely it will be that. But for now it's up in the air. For all we know this may be the new direction they're taking him.

D

Deleted member

Ridley has never had a set design to begin with. Every game, he had a bunch of differences.

I mean, even the "old design" that you know in Smash has never been used in a Metroid game, but only in artwork for Super Metroid, and even then, he was all red.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

This is the only Ridley I care about, the one in the Melee intro. He's perfectly sized.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ridley has never had a set design to begin with. Every game, he had a bunch of differences.

I mean, even the "old design" that you know in Smash has never been used in a Metroid game, but only in artwork for Super Metroid, and even then, he was all red.
I know that seeing as I linked that video with all those ridley fights :p but you know what I meant.

Also they might pick a look similar to OM based on the success it was battle wise(not just talking about for brawl).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I just didn't like the beefy arms, I dunno. reminds me of S is for Sucks. If someone actually gets that reference I will cry manly tears of joy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I just didn't like the beefy arms, I dunno. reminds me of S is for Sucks. If someone actually gets that reference I will cry manly tears of joy.
I doooooooo!

"constabulate V's"

Edit: Not nearly the most obscure HSR reference you could have made.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
My problem is the head. It is too long and pointy and it makes him look stupid

We talkin' 'bout Ridley or the S is for Sucks Dragon? Cause you could say the same thing about both of them...

Edit: And are you talking about the O:M design?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I doooooooo!

"constabulate V's"

Edit: Not nearly the most obscure HSR reference you could have made.
hell, even your avatar is a reference! We sir, are officially friends.

(and while that's true, I only made it because my observation was entirely relevant. If I was going for obscurity, you would know)

(population : tire don exits)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
lol. Glad to see more people who love HSR. That s*** got me onto the internet.
The references used to be so common. It was so sad to watch the site slowly die. *sniff At least Trogdor made it into guitar hero.

Back to Ridley. No S is for Sucks beefy arm. They don't belong on dragons.

(BTW near my high school there is a whale sign that looks just like the HSR one but it's for a pool and when I first saw it on the bus I flipped **** and everyone thought I was crazy)

Top Bottom