• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

It might be just me, but I think Ridley is smaller in DoA than he is in Other M.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Using the fighting style would be because of he fights primarily on the ground to give him legitimate moves to use for once.

Using the design would be because it suits the fighting style more and because it's the newest take on the character.

Don't mix up the reasons, Prime. ;)
Sorry, should have worded it much better, but yes, that's ultimately what I meant.

Nothing against the other designs, but it would just be kinda weird to me seeing the Super or Zero Mission design or something using Other M Ridley's fighting style. (Any other design could be made to fight primarily on the ground just as well, yes, but it would probably be done in a different way/style from Other Ridley.) If the way Other Ridley fought is gonna have influence on the making of his actual moveset for Sm4sh, as well as the new skin/scale hardening ability being made into a special and whatnot, then by all means, they might as well use the Other M design along with it, which they could always make some changes to it to make it less ugly or easier on the eyes as I said before, similar to how Smash has made alternations to Ridley's Super design over time.

If they continued sticking with the Super design though and made a moveset with nothing exclusive he had from Other M, I wouldn't complain either, much as I would like to use his skin hardening as some kind of reflector or counter attack.

Still dunt see how Ridley throwing punches here and there would be dumb though when you got monstrous guys like Bowser doing so as a forward tilt. I can understand Ridley using his legs to kick being a stupid idea for an attack, but clenching his handtalon into a fist and punching doesn't seem that unbelievable for him. A punch followed by clawing or biting could be used as a good combo even.

My problem is the head. It is too long and pointy and it makes him look stupid

:phone:
Hence why it kinda reminds me of a Xenomorph head now, which is fitting given where Ridley got his name from.

Yup, I knew about that. Whole buncha rumors sprung from that about Samus being playable in DOA:D because of it, too.
Yeah, I remember that. Was kinda indifferent on whether or not she would be playable in that game, but wasn't too surprised when it turned out she wasn't.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't support the inclusion of Other M Ridley in smash, in fact I would go as far as being against his inclusion completely

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It was a bad game, and his art direction was horrible. I don't care if he had the best attacks

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Smash isn't about good or bad games,or art directions.It's a fighting game and this Ridley "fights" the most and better.If they definitly choose Other M for the Metroid Series design,being surprised shouldn't even be expected.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
When ever someone says he is too big, i am just going to show them the melee opening.

Look how small he is there.
Nope, this just proves Samus is too big and should be cut. :troll:

Edit: I just noticed, Samus uses missiles in that clip despite not having them yet at that point in Super Metroid. Weird.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash isn't about good or bad games,or art directions.It's a fighting game and this Ridley "fights" the most and better.If they definitly choose Other M for the Metroid Series design,being surprised shouldn't even be expected.
Then I am against Ridley being in Smash.

D

Deleted member

If that's the way you feel, you never were a true supporter to begin with.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If your a fan of Other M, you were never a metroid fan to begin with

D

Deleted member

1. Never said I was an Other M fan.
2. Never said I was a Metroid fan. I just want Ridley as he's an important character and since he's a badass dragon. From space.
3. Holy generalizations Batman! So you're saying that people that geniunely like Other M aren't true Metroid fans? That line of thinking is downright self-centered and ********.

So not only are you not willing to support a character over a design from a game you dislike, but anyone who likes said game isn't a true fan of the series. How low can you get?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel as if you are perverting something I really liked and twisting it into something I hate

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
3. Holy generalizations Batman! So you're saying that people that geniunely like Other M aren't true Metroid fans? That line of thinking is downright self-centered and ********.

So not only are you not willing to support a character over a design from a game you dislike, but anyone who likes said game isn't a true fan of the series. How low can you get?
I stopped posting here on the matter when I realized it would probably come down to this, trufax. Though I couldn't agree with you more.

And I noticed this thread recently went from having 5 stars to 4... Odd.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Other M is like a virus, it is tearing this thread apart.
I didn't like OM that much, i thought it was a terrible gameplay concept. But that open gameplay let Ridley grow into a ugly, but skilled fighter

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Pyscho, whether you like it or not, Nintendo made other M. You can treat it like Nintendo treats the CD-i series, but it's still there. The difference between the CD-i series and other M is one has usable concepts. The whole 'If I can't have it exactly my way I don't want it at all' is pre school attitude, everyone needs to stop *****ing about other M because IT DID EXIST and is the MOST RECENT metroid game. Sure, sometimes they use classic designs over most recent, but those are the facts, whether you liked other M or not

>.>

Sorry for ranting, but please people, stop *****ing over other M. (I haven't even played the damned game, lol)

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
So, I'm leaving out the troll face, but there is nothing wrong with the gameplay of Other M; it's the natural transition of the series to a 3rd person 3D platformer.

You can do all the complaining in the world about the plot, that's subjective. If you didn't like it, then neat. The gameplay is fine, though. Perhaps a bit awkward to get used to, but fine. I understand some want Metroid to stay 2D in gameplay mechanics, but you gotta have some series evolution at some point. I guess everyone is resistant to change, but I've been playing Metroid since I had it on my NES, and I loved Other M. Loved.

If Other M is unplayable to you and you think anyone who enjoys it is dumb, then you should probably go play High Horse. I hear it's a great game.

Aaaaaanyway, I obviously would be pleased if Other M Ridley were the one that appeared. He's an absolute monster in that game. So visceral and raw. *shudders*

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
You can do all the complaining in the world about the plot, that's subjective. If you didn't like it, then neat. The gameplay is fine, though. Perhaps a bit awkward to get used to, but fine. I understand some want Metroid to stay 2D in gameplay mechanics, but you gotta have some series evolution at some point. I guess everyone is resistant to change, but I've been playing Metroid since I had it on my NES, and I loved Other M. Loved.
This.

I thought the gameplay was awkward at first, but as it went on, the end was a blast! Once I had most of the power ups. It certainly wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't a terrible game. It was enjoyable. Most of the time

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know right? Huge. I'll organize a better first post eventually, but I like just saying it how it is to get dumb people to try and tell the thread we're wrong, only to get TOLD.

What is there to even discuss?

Will Ridley be a starter or unlockable? If he's a starter, he'll be revealed early on. If he's unlockable, this thread is going to have it rough for like three or four years. There's good reason to make him either a starter or an unlockable.
Here we are, 523 pages along...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My guess is that either K.Rool or Ridley will be revealed right away because they are two of the most popular requested characters. Sure Sonic was the most requested character for Brawl, but he was 3rd party and a last minute addition. We shall see

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It wasn't the entire gameplay I thought was bad. The mode where you had to find clues pissed me off though. Also there was one enemy that kept appearing that also pissed me off. Some bug thing or something, it was a mini boss. But to be honest, at most I thought it was ok.

I don't think the switch from a mostly non-linear 2D game to an extremely linear 3D game is evolution, just different. There are concepts of a 2D game that aren't improved in 3D.

I didn't even notice Ridley was that ugly while playing the game, it wasn't until it was brought up in this thread. The thing that was bugging me was Ridley_Prime didn't even say it was an opinion that Other M Ridley would be a better fighter. He was giving a statement - Other M Ridley IS better.

I think it's a little hypocritical that Ridley_Prime says he left due to people saying things as facts when it's him statement things as facts that started getting people arguing in the first place

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Everyone should check their wording when they state opinions. That prevents people from getting at each others' throats.

LET'S JUST ALL GET ALONG NOW.

D

Deleted member

Also, I remember someone saying that Ridley punching wouldn't make sense because he "isn't a brute".

Well....Sakurai begs to differ. :troll:
In his trophy, Ridley is stated to have a "brutal" nature.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The typical depiction of Ridley wouldn't punch because of the structure of his arms and especially his hands

He technically could punch but it's because of the shape and size of his claws that he probably couldn't hold his fist in a tight enough position for it to be effective.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The thing that was bugging me was Ridley_Prime didn't even say it was an opinion that Other M Ridley would be a better fighter. He was giving a statement - Other M Ridley IS better.

I think it's a little hypocritical that Ridley_Prime says he left due to people saying things as facts when it's him statement things as facts that started getting people arguing in the first place
Why should I have to outright say it was my opinion that Other Ridley would be a better fighter when it was obviously opinion from the start? Anything with the word "better" and the like is usually opinionated much more often than not, especially if it's coming from me on a subject like this..

If I did then it wasn't intentional, though I could care less what one thinks of me when it's coming from the guy self-centered enough to say that anyone who liked Other M wasn't a true fan of Metroid to begin with. Nothing I said even came close to that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
From this point onward I refuse to post on pages where Other M is argued about >.>

Some people seem to have misread the title of the thread

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that either K.Rool or Ridley will be revealed right away because they are two of the most popular requested characters. Sure Sonic was the most requested character for Brawl, but he was 3rd party and a last minute addition. We shall see
I agree with you! Ridley would be great for the first trailer because he's so wanted and would excite a large amount of people!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep. Moving on, I'd probably love that. Would be fitting too when you had ZSS and the like revealed in the first Brawl trailer.

D

Deleted member

That's not the point.
Someone, I forget who, was saying Ridley shouldn't punch like in Other M because he's "not a brute".

Top Bottom