• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ gannondorf4ever (and everyone in general)
I think we can all agree that Ridley in Smash needs to happen... PRONTO! DO IT SAKURAI! DO IT, AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUSSSS!!!

GLORIOUS LIKE THE EPIC RIVALRY BETWEEN SAMUS AND RIDLEY STARTED WITH RIDLEY KILLING SAMUS' PARENTS!

GLORIOUS LIKE WAY EVERYTHING WENT DOWN ON ZEBES BEFORE IT BLEW UP!

GLORIOUS LIKE THE EPIC FINAL BATTLE OF EVERY METROID GAME!

GLORIOUS LIKE THE TWIST ENDING AT THE END OF METROID FUSION!

GLORIOUS LIKE HOW THE GIANTS WON THE WORLD SERIES TWO OF THE LAST THREE YEARS AFTER NOT WINNING FOR HALF A CENTURY! :awesome: (sorry, I had to do it)

Come my brethren! Let us take up arms and stand up for our Lord Ridley. His presence needs to be known. His power needs to be felt. His fire breath, needs to be UNLEASHED! :shades:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We also need Ridley's cousin Rodley.
If you meant to say "Ridley should be playable, and Kraid should be a boss," you are correct sir.

But if you ever, and I mean, EVER, say a Metroid character not named Samus should get in over Ridley, you will look into the eyes. of evil forever and ever and never EVER!

Edit: Also, babies will cry. A lot.

D

Deleted member

Within context I said also. That implies "Ridley and *insert anyone here*". In this case, Ridley and his cousin Rodley.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Idea for up B:
Ridley jumps up like captian falcons up B and grabs the opponent. From there Ridley will intiate glide while carrying the opponent. When gliding with an opponent in your hand you can press A to throw them forward or B to dive directly downwards into the ground. Also if he glides while holding an opponent and lands it will switch into his regular grab lock and he can proceed to throw them, pummel etc.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ridley and Anthony Higgs you mean right? :smirk:
I hope that the Anthony reveal is reminiscent of Snake as in the helmet will pop up and he'll say
Remembah me, princess?

I don't think I've said it in this thread but day 1 Ridley main even if he doesn't get in. I'll be content imagining some random newcomer is Ridley as I rock in a corner crying.

D

Deleted member

I like to do it in a Broly voice. Makes it more fun until my vocal cords start hurting.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That picture makes me want to say "Unncllleeee Beeeewwwnnnn" in the most best fake Toby Maguire voice ever! :laugh:
Within context I said also. That implies "Ridley and *insert anyone here*". In this case, Ridley and his cousin Rodley.
I know. I just felt like being sillies. :bee:
I mean, I do that daily regardless of who's in smash. It's become routine.
Each smash bros game that doesn't feature Ridley as a playable character means that babies must be burned! SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE FOR RIDLEY!!! :awesome:

grizby2

Smash Lord
this is my first time in an actual Ridley thread, and ive only seen complaints and/or counter arguments against ridley from other threads, so can anyone tell me the REAL business concerning ridley's chances?

i personally dont see his chances all that high, but i dont see them very low at the same time. ridley would be a totally cool character to play as though.

i wanna read some positive information, ya know? plz? :x

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some people try to state that Ridley can't be playable, because of his size. That's irrelevant, as Bowser himself has been depicted as a gargantuan in the mainstream Mario titles, and yet he's been resized for the spin-offs.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Considering how popular the character is in the West, although not much in the East, some find his chances small. This is also poor logic, as Sakurai does look at Western popularity. That's a good thing for characters like Ridley and Little Mac, especially.

Combine that with what MSG said, and you can say that, all in all, Ridley is much more likely than some detractors would think. I'd definitely put him in the Top 10 most likely, myself. Perhaps even Top 5.

grizby2

Smash Lord
i can see that point. hmmm...
usually whenever bowser is really big, its mainly because hes gathering some type of power source (be it star power or shinesprites, a magic star rod, ect..). though i must say, bowser is about the size he is in brawl for most of the other games hes in like in mario luigi superstart saga series, or super mario bros 3, just naming a couple. it almost seems bowser is getting a definite size when hes not doing anything too evil now a' days.

same cant be said for ridley, BUT, as far as ive seen he doesn't seem very big in the first metroid game. so if size was the issue, they could always just use his mordern design along with his original size. right?
im very sure people dont want ridley to be the size he is in games that take place after the first game.

D

Deleted member

Considering how popular the character is in the West, although not much in the East, some find his chances small. This is also poor logic, as Sakurai does look at Western popularity. That's a good thing for characters like Ridley and Little Mac, especially.

Combine that with what MSG said, and you can say that, all in all, Ridley is much more likely than some detractors would think. I'd definitely put him in the Top 10 most likely, myself. Perhaps even Top 5.
And bear in mind that Sakurai knows Ridley is a popular request, given the question he was asked in Nintendo Power years back that resulted in that cryptic statement of his.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which reminds me, the Nintendo Power article mentions that Ridley would be slowed down if he was playable. Though not concrete, we can presume that Ridley would play in a similar fashion to the other heavy weight characters like Bowser and Ganondorf. Though considering his ability to fly, I wouldn't be surprising if he had above normal dashing speed (like Charizard) and superior recovery capabilities (like King Dedede) too.

D

Deleted member

It's not for certain what Sakurai meant by "being a little slow", whether it meant on the order of movement or attacks. I mean, Ridley could be slow in walking/dashing, but still be decent speed in attacking, kind of like Sentinel in the MvC games.
However Sakurai does it, there'd be three possible results from my perspective.

a. Ridley ends up being cheap like Sentinel for having long reach, powerful attacks with decent speed, and is hard to knock around.
b. Ridley is a large character, but is still well rounded to make up for it to where he's not too cheap or too pathetic.
c. Ridley ends up being too pathetic by being a large punching bag that has difficulty hitting with laggy moves that may or may not be benefitial to use. Sure he's hard to knock around, but not hard to hit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hmm.. Well if a playable Ridley ends up falling under result C as the worst case scenario because of Sakurai, so be it, for I was born maining low tiers, molded by them!

Would prefer result B though, personally.

D

Deleted member

Agreed. Honestly, result C is better than no Ridley at all, am I right?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep.

So, thoughts of Ice Ridley on Metroid Blast? Yeah, there's two versions of Ridley on the game apparently, one level in which you fight both at once, from what I hear. There's also Kraid on a side note.

D

Deleted member

Ice Ridley?

New Metroid boss confirmed. :troll:

Ridley is not dead after all. He became Ice Ridley. Also, the X-Parasite had an adverse effect once Neo Ridley was destroyed. The Ridley clone was brought back to life.

Now Samus has TWO Ridleys to deal with. :awesome:
Metroid Dread: The Two Ridleys.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I still think it would be cool if Ridley was a playable character (as the Super Metroid Ridley with the Metroid colors and stuff) and Ridley was a boss (whether Mecha Ridley, X-Ridley, awkward Other M Ridley, Omega Ridley, Meta Ridley, or some new Ridley).

D

Deleted member

Reading up on TvTropes, since TvTropes Ruined My Life, it brought up something interesting about Ridley.

We know that Ridley has been cloned before, right? Since at the end of Fusion, Samus is technically an outlaw, could it be possible that the Federation still has access to Ridley's DNA from when they accidentally cloned him?

What if they intentionally had him cloned again, to serve as a way to hunt down Samus?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm a bit rusty on my tropes, but would that count as Fridge Logic/Horror or a WMG?

Either way, that'd actually be an interesting twist to be used in later games. Could cause some nice tension and stuff.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm a bit rusty on my tropes, but would that count as Fridge Logic/Horror or a WMG?

Either way, that'd actually be an interesting twist to be used in later games. Could cause some nice tension and stuff.
WMG, definatley, since there's guesswork/theorizing involved. Fridge horroe is only when something seems horrifying after you think about it for a while.

And yeah, It'd be a helluva twist. I can't wait to see what Ninty does with the post-Fusion storyline.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ice Ridley?

New Metroid boss confirmed. :troll:

Ridley is not dead after all. He became Ice Ridley. Also, the X-Parasite had an adverse effect once Neo Ridley was destroyed. The Ridley clone was brought back to life.

Now Samus has TWO Ridleys to deal with. :awesome:
Metroid Dread: The Two Ridleys.
I guess my fantasy of an ice dragon Ridley (or Kyurem-Ridley) freezing and shattering Metroids could just become a reality after all.. lol

Reading up on TvTropes, since TvTropes Ruined My Life, it brought up something interesting about Ridley.

We know that Ridley has been cloned before, right? Since at the end of Fusion, Samus is technically an outlaw, could it be possible that the Federation still has access to Ridley's DNA from when they accidentally cloned him?

What if they intentionally had him cloned again, to serve as a way to hunt down Samus?
If they were to clone him again that way, I think it would be interesting if they pulled off a SA-X or Nemesis with him as far as making you have to run from him at certain parts till you have the weapons you need to beat him.

And yeah, It'd be a helluva twist. I can't wait to see what Ninty does with the post-Fusion storyline.
Which we've been waiting for since after 2002...

D

Deleted member

IMO, a post-Fusion game should have the Ridley thing as I mentioned before, and possibly bring back Sylux as either an ally, rival, or secondary enemy to Samus.

Afterall, he hates the Federation. Since Samus is most likely an enemy to the Federation now, it could either be a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my ally", where he willingly works with Samus, or sees Samus as an interference for his vengence, whatever it may be (it never really got into it in Hunters). Or simply, since he hated Samus in Hunters, even if she's no longer affiliated with the Federation, he could just keep on hating her for whatever reason.

EDIT: And then we could have both Ridley and Sylux in Smash :awesome:.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Someone wasn't sure if I was trolling! Success!

You have to realize I only post troll posts. Everyone knows that Ridley is actually SAMUS from the future. duhh.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Someone wasn't sure if I was trolling! Success!

You have to realize I only post troll posts. Everyone knows that Ridley is actually SAMUS from the future. duhh.
oh, you proceeded to almost troll me? here's a just reward for you:

[COLLAPSE="Click here to claim it"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Top Bottom