• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think if Ridley will be revealed, we have to wait a little, im sure sakurai will show us another 2 or 3 screenshots of the Metroid stage, maybe with more hints, and then he will throw the bomb, something like the Pilotwings stage.
Well new rumor zero suit samus on the 27th but that's more likely Ridley but if no character confirmed picture comes up on the 27th its fake but then we will just wait for Ridley

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's too bad we didn't get anything Metroid related on August 6th, the day of the original game's release.

RIDLEY'S BIRTHDAY... *SNIFF*

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It's too bad we didn't get anything Metroid related on August 6th, the day of the original game's release.

RIDLEY'S BIRTHDAY... *SNIFF*
Well, Metroid Other M's release date is August 31 2010, we may get some information related to SSB4 then.

Edit: Via Nintendo Direct of course.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
SO, how is everyone going to feel if we get another Pyrosphere picture, aaand there's nothing new about it? Just a couple characters fighting on it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, Metroid Other M's release date is August 31 2010, we may get some information related to SSB4 then.

Edit: Via Nintendo Direct of course.
Yeah, that'll be the Ridley clone's birthday, so it'll still be relevant :awesome:

SO, how is everyone going to feel if we get another Pyrosphere picture, aaand there's nothing new about it? Just a couple characters fighting on it.
As of yet Sakurai has shown new things about the newer stages with each new picture. If he breaks the tradition with this picture then I'll feel a lot better. Even better if it turns out to be another lava stage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Pretty the same way about the first one, except more pissed and desperate for answers. Except this time, people will franticly look for any signs of Ridley on the stage and count the amount of characters on the screen, hoping a fourth player is not on the stage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah, that'll be the Ridley clone's birthday, so it'll still be relevant :awesome:

As of yet Sakurai has shown new things about the newer stages with each new picture. If he breaks the tradition with this picture then I'll feel a lot better. Even better if it turns out to be another lava stage.
Pfffttt. I didn't mean it like that. :chuckle:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I know. It's a possibility, but I highly doubt we'll get two Directs in one month. The next Direct will likely be in October for Pokémon.
Makes sense.

If anything, I believe the next picture will do something with Olimar and Villager on a Mario stage.

To be hopeful, we were shown the Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort and we were shown the planes as a continued part of the stage. Wuhu Island was shown before Metroid Other M's stage, so that could possibly mean that Ridley position will be exposed in 1 - 2 weeks.

But that is being overly hopeful if you ask me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oracle_Summoner, I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave because I keep confusing your name with mine. Got the O, got the _, got the S. So hard.

You understand I'm Sure.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If Ridley was confirmed to be a stage hazard, then honestly, I would not expect him to also be playable. It's not like it would be 100% impossible, but it would be odd.

On the flipside, if we never get a confirmation that Ridley IS a stage hazard, then I think it's entirely likely that he is playable.
As harsh as it is....all this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hold on next Friday is 1 away from that day and that's when PAX starts
Problem with PAX is that all the different presentations there are so subject specific. I know there's a conference for Wonderful 101, and there's a bunch of demos available for play too, but that's all there is from Nintendo on the schedule thus far. It wouldn't make sense to announce Ridley, let alone any Smash character, at any of those unless they quickly pull out a general Nintendo conference too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, the post count is fast approaching DEAD MEME!

On the subject of the Metroid series needing more reps I wonder if they'll go the Dr. Mario route and split Samus.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow, the post count is fast approaching DEAD MEME!

On the subject of the Metroid series needing more reps I wonder if they'll go the Dr. Mario route and split Samus.
The Dr. Mario thing was only done because of stright time constraints. The Melee clones were added in to fill the roster since it felt too small, this time that won't be a problem. Metroid won't get a rep just for the heck of it, if it gets a rep it'll be Ridley, else there's literally no other realistic contender.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Dr. Mario thing was only done because of stright time constraints. The Melee clones were added in to fill the roster since it felt too small, this time that won't be a problem. Metroid won't get a rep just for the heck of it, if it gets a rep it'll be Ridley, else there's literally no other realistic contender.

Well Dark Samus has a slither of hope but a lot going against her/it not least of which is the apparent non-canon status of the Prime games.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I could easily see Sakurai add Anthony....trust me....Sakurai does what he wants....he enjoys suprising people.

Oww...man if Anthony gets in and not Ridley...im done...RealTalk.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well Dark Samus has a slither of hope but a lot going against her/it not least of which is the apparent non-canon status of the Prime games.
I still consider the Prime games canon, never mind Sakamoto's butthurt.

Dark Samus has become to Metroid much like Skull Kid has become to Zelda in terms of chances of being a playable Smash Bros character. Their time came and went, and since their games get no representation anymore, and it wouldn't make sense to give them any representation, I see their chance as 0%.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Oracle_Summoner, I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave because I keep confusing your name with mine. Got the O, got the _, got the S. So hard.

You understand I'm Sure.
Come on, there is no way you can forget you have the sexy avatar of a maid right? ;)

But if you want...ok.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Dark Samus has become to Metroid much like Skull Kid has become to Zelda in terms of chances of being a playable Smash Bros character. Their time came and went, and since their games get no representation anymore, and it wouldn't make sense to give them any representation, I see their chance as 0%.
They are both really cool chars though..but yh....

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think they should split Samus and Zero Suit Samus. It's annoying to have to switch because you use your final smash.

I think of the Prime games consisting in parallel timeline, like with Zelda.

I'm all for Dark Samus as long as its referred to as Metroid Prime.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

I agree. To me, Ridley is to Ganondorf as Dark Samus is to Skull Kid. Don't get me wrong, Skull Kid and Dark Samus are awesome, but it would be wrong to add them before Ganondorf and Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I could easily see Sakurai add Anthony....trust me....Sakurai does what he wants....he enjoys suprising people.

Oww...man if Anthony gets in and not Ridley...im done...RealTalk.
Anthony has no chance either. He's a side character in one game, he's not recognizable, and he has no popularity. Sakurai doesn't just add random characters, characters like G&W, R.O.B and WFT have not only been well received for a good reason, but they're from their own individual series too, he wouldn't just add a nobody from not only an already established series, but one which desperately needs another all-star name to it already.

Anthony is very much fit as an Assist Trophy, but not more than that, and the Metroid might even steal that spot from him anyways.

Arteen

Smash Lord
As Sakurai said himself, he and his team could do it if they really put a big effort into it. There's no denying Ridley is one of the harder characters to pull off, his structure is really what could make it hard, and it's really the one and only reason he wouldn't be included since he has everything else going for him. However, we're talking about the man who made Pokémon Trainer happen, and this time with a bigger and incredibly experienced team.

And I'm well aware that Ridley's size is part of his character, but he doesn't need to be several feet bigger than his opponents. To seem imposing he simply needs to be a margain bigger than his opponents, sure he'd not seem huge in comparison to Bowser, but that's because Bowser himself already pulls this off in Smash Bros. Bowser is made huge in the 3D Mario games to show his might, status and make him incredibly threatening to face. Ridley does the same in his source games. However, it still works for Bowser in Smash Bros, especially with his new pose, because he's still the biggest and acts the baddest out of all characters. Ridley can pull the same trick off, he just needs to be about the same height as Bowser while hunched over. And yes, it'd be hard to make it feel natural when Ridley is getting smacked about if his pose is constantly hunched over, but they did it with Bowser in Brawl and Melee, and unlike Bowser Ridley can also run on all fours, so he should actually have an easier time being hunced over than Bowser had.

As for Ridley in the air, it's a matter of scaling the proportions right. What you see most hacks fail at, and why he seems so small, is because they don't scale proportions. If Ridley has to have a smaller wingspan you don't just scale the whole model down, you just scale the wings down, and then maybe scale other body parts down a bit too to not make it look too unnatural. It's just about fine tuning and hitting the right spot in regards to proportions, which is another thing that's hard about implementing Ridley. It's a general rule in 3D to do so, and it happens regularly to Ridley in the Metroid games too in-between games and appearances.

No, there's no way to make him 100% faithful as a playable character, but it's easier to do that with him as a character than as a boss since Smash Bros bosses remain too stationary. Even then not all characters are faithful to their original counterparts, look at Ganondorf, Lucas, R.O.B, Captain Falcon and Ness, they all do different things that they can't do originally to compensate for different reasons (though Ganon is admittedly just hurt from the Melee days.)
I can definitely see where you're coming from here. Playing with his proportions would help immensely. Even when shrunk to a playable size, he usually ends up looking awkward, since he's so lanky and oddly-proportioned. He'd need a lot of TLC and careful tweaking to not appear ridiculous. I think it's perhaps a bit too much.

I'd love Sakurai to prove me wrong, but I just can't imagine him pulling it off. I'd hate to see Ridley end up like this:

I'd also hate to see him look like this:
He's so dorky in Other M, with his thick, muscular limbs and tiny, pointy head.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I always felt the best look for Ridley would be his Smash self with a slightly thicker neck.

I mean JC how does he eat enough to stay alive with such a bottleneck...neck.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Come on, there is no way you can forget you have the sexy avatar of a maid right? ;)

But if you want...ok.
NONONO I DIDN'T MEAN IT I'M JUST REALLY FUNNY YOU SEE.

Also, If Ridley doesn't get in then I'm certain no one will be happy on the Metroid side, because I'm also certain that Dark Samus, if she even got in, would be a semi-clone. Think Lucas or Wolf. I know any fan of Dark Samus would argue how silly it is considering all her abilities, and I agree. But I doubt Sakurai would care.

And of course having THREE characters all named Samus would just be... gross.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I can definitely see where you're coming from here. Playing with his proportions would help immensely. Even when shrunk to a playable size, he usually ends up looking awkward, since he's so lanky and oddly-proportioned. He'd need a lot of TLC and careful tweaking to not appear ridiculous.

I'd love Sakurai to prove me wrong, but I just can't imagine him pulling it off. I'd hate to see Ridley end up like this:

I'd also hate to see him look like this:
He's so dorky in Other M, with his thick, muscular limbs and tiny, pointy head.
Yeah, obviously the Other M model would need quite some tweaking, most notably with his arms, hands and wings. If he should be able to bite then they'd also need to enlarge his upper jaw, but it's a video game so no guaranteeing that. They should also cut quite a few inches off of his tail too, cut his toenails, and remove some of the random spikes on his legs and arms to make him feel less clustered together.

Again, he isn't an easy character to make at all, and the Other M model doesn't make it any less challenging, but I believe in Sakurai and his team, they've done so many amazing things with the cast already, I know they'd be able to make Ridley awesome if they really want to do the effort.

And that Alien is horrendous. Quite a good example of how not to do things.

I always felt the best look for Ridley would be his Smash self with a slightly thicker neck.

I mean JC how does he eat enough to stay alive with such a bottleneck...neck.
There's probably a reason he's so thin you know.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Peopel just keep making dead arguements as for "He is too big""He would look wierd if they scaled him down!" and they just keep b******* and moaning(Yeah I was cusing beacause it bothers me how they keep using dead arguements instead of using dem brains they have >.< )

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Peopel just keep making dead arguements as for "He is too big""He would look wierd if they scaled him down!" and they just keep b******* and moaning(Yeah I was cusing beacause it bothers me how they keep using dead arguements instead of using dem brains they have >.< )
It's fine that they bring their concerns here, maybe we can help them understand that it's possible, as long as they care to listen. I can see why people would think he'd look odd when scaled down, even if I believe that he'd look great.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Did he actually explicitly say they're not cannon? All I've found on the matter is this bit of Nintendo PR where they outline the story of Metroid. They happen to list the timeline of the main series and the Prime series separately, but they don't say it's non-cannon. It's not what I would do if I was writing that PR for Nintendo, but it's somewhat justifiable for them to list the Prime games separate from the main series because they do deviate from the main Metroid story having their own story and have little bearing on the main series.

Whatever, me and most Metroid fans will consider the Prime games cannon regardless of what anyone says, it makes no sense for them not to be.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Problem with PAX is that all the different presentations there are so subject specific. I know there's a conference for Wonderful 101, and there's a bunch of demos available for play too, but that's all there is from Nintendo on the schedule thus far. It wouldn't make sense to announce Ridley, let alone any Smash character, at any of those unless they quickly pull out a general Nintendo conference too.
IF they did it, it'd probably be random ass on the show like they did with E3. They'd get a bunch of people to the booth and be like "LOL SURPRISE CHARACTER REVEAL" and then be like "**** YOU ****S ITS RIDLEY"

Trust me, they'd do this with the people there. Unfortunately, PAX Prime is a bit too soon for a start and there would probably be a demo if they did that, so meh.

He seem like he wants a cracker.
I laughed so hard irl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
IF they did it, it'd probably be random *** on the show like they did with E3. They'd get a bunch of people to the booth and be like "LOL SURPRISE CHARACTER REVEAL" and then be like "**** YOU ****S ITS RIDLEY"

Trust me, they'd do this with the people there. Unfortunately, PAX Prime is a bit too soon for a start and there would probably be a demo if they did that, so meh.
That'd be the best thing ever.

Top Bottom