• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

It seems as fans will go for at least nearly a week without hearing of Ridley's role in the game. Ever since Pyrosphere's confirmation and the infamous Ridley quote, debates have been raging all around in regards to whenever or not Ridley would make the cut or if he would be demoted to stage hazard status. So far, Sakurai has been very mysterious in regards to Ridley, with only a vague quote that has been literally picked apart by the fans. Could next week be when we figure out about what happens to Ridley or will it take even longer before we know what role Ridley will play this game? Find out next time on Super Smash Bros. Z!

I'm also going to stay just to see what happens to Ridley. I know I promised I'd leave before college starts, but I just have to be around the forums to truly capture my reaction to Ridley's role and I know you guys miss me.

Good night and may the next day bring a chock full of fun.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
All good things are worth the wait.

If Sakurai thought Ridley wasn't worth the wait, he wouldn't be playable, and Sakurai would flat out mention him in an almost disregarding manner like Virdii, instead of making Ridley the focus on the Miiverse update.

Well keep in mind that if any character has a role beyond being a Trophy, they likely won't be mentioned. Even if Ridley is an Assist Trophy, Sakurai probably won't actually bring him up until the due time.

I can't make out who the other character on the plane is. Oh well. G'Night folks.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Okay, I think I have so logical times when Ridley could be confirmed if he isn't deconfirmed before then:
-September's Nintendo Direct
-Randomly early September
-PAX Prime 2013
-Randomly in months without big-name games
-Roster leak before game comes out
-We unlock him in-game

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well looks like we'll have to wait until Monday for more screenshots.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, I think I have so logical times when Ridley could be confirmed if he isn't deconfirmed before then:
-September's Nintendo Direct
-Randomly early September
-PAX Prime 2013
-Randomly in months without big-name games
-Roster leak before game comes out
-We unlock him in-game
I'm not sure we're getting a Direct in September, considering we've just had one in August. I can see one specifically for Pokémon and maybe Sonic Lost World too in October, though it wouldn't make sense to have Ridley in that Direct or month at all.

If we're lucky, then PAX next week will bring us Ridley, but if any time soon, then most realistically it'll be mid-September. If we survive next week without a stage hazard Ridley, or a picture of Pyrosphere where either nothing happens or another hazard is present, then we'll be a whole lot safer. Next week will be nerve-wrecking.

Dr.Geno

Smash Rookie
Okay, serious mode.

I've been following this thread for quite some time now. I'm not an enemy of Ridley, I don't hate him and I understand that he is a very important character to the Metroid series. I'm actually a huge proponent of Ridley, and I support his inclusion in smash brothers. Maybe not in the same way as the rest of you, but I'll get into that in a bit. That being said, if you guys were as true Ridley fans as you say you are, you should understand why him not being playable is probably for the best.

There are a lot of reasons, but I'll only go into a few of them. I know a lot of you like to push against the "Too big" argument, which is fair when it's said out of context. Simply stating that Ridley is too big without any context or justification is silly. The reason why he wouldn't work in Smash Bros is not because he himself is too big, it's because he's too big relative to Samus, which is all that matters here. The reason characters like Olimar and Bowser work, which I know are some of your loudest responses against the 'too big' issue, is because they were never shown standing next to each other in a game before Smash Brothers. As long as the proportions work relative to characters in the series, it's a seamless transition. Olimar and his Pikmin have the same relative size to each other in Brawl as they do in Pikmin. Bowser has been the size he is in Smash Bros relative to Mario in numerous, numerous other Super Mario and spin off games (not due to hardware restrictions either, which I'll get into later). That is why those characters work, and you're going to hear me say this a lot, the characters' relative sizes in comparison to one another being the same allow them to seamlessly transition into the Smash Brothers environment.

Now as you all know, Ridley has and will continue to be of gargantuan proportions (bar the Metroid game on the NES). He's been shown relative to Samus in the Metroid series tons of times, always being huge (bar NES, again). His largeness is what makes up a significant portion of his character. He's huge, he's scary, he's ferocious. Shrinking him down is indeed possible, yes, but is it for the best? Is that the best way to represent him, retain his integrity, and who he really is as a character? If you asked me, this coming from a large Metroid fan (and by extension, a Ridley fan), I think the only way to do Ridley justice is to keep him large. Keep him fearsome.

In Brawl he was a force to be reckoned with, terrorizing the stage in not one but two different forms. I think Sakurai went above and beyond expectations as far as representing Ridley goes. And now he's been upgraded to a potential stage hazard, where he will be able to terrorize players constantly throughout the fight. I think that's wonderful, and fit's Ridley's bill. Making a character playable doesn't have to be the king pin almighty alpha and omega when it comes to representing a character or pleasing their fans. In my humble opinion, Sakurai chose the best way to represent the character of Ridley while simultaneously maintaining the integrity of the character (which is SUPER important). He could have VERY EASILY made him a character, he's overcome other issues he's had with characters he's wanted to add into the roster, like Pit not being added to SSB64 apparently due to his wings, or with Villager who wasn't added into Brawl because Sakurai didn't think he would fit in well. He's overcome the design struggles of characters he's wanted to be in the game. He overcame that struggle with Ridley in Brawl, by making him a boss. Him, alongside Porky, were the ONLY character bosses on top of that, the only bosses from Nintendo series. On top of that, he appeared a second time with a different form. I think that makes him pretty damn special.

Now I remember some other users saying something about "Ridley was that height in the NES version, they can just use NES Ridley!" to which my response is... There is no... "NES Ridley". Other than the Other M incarnation of Ridley being a clone of his former self, there is only ONE Ridley. Ridley was only that height in the NES version of the game because of hardware limitations. He quickly grew to three times his former height in Super Metroid (and stayed that way for every other game since) because that is how he is meant to be perceived, as a gigantic dragon. He's been represented that way ever since. For those who cite the Melee opening as an instance where he is small, I invite you to research dramatic perspective angles, because those were at work in that scene. Samus is up close, Ridley is far (evidenced by Samus jumping over to and eventually over Ridley himself, plus as you see Ridley lunge toward the camera, his full size is revealed). He's still very large in that scene. It was to fit his whole body into the scene while still maintaining Samus as a focal point. Genius, really.

To those who believe if it is the Other M incarnation Ridley as a stage hazard, Super Metroid Ridley still has a chance of being playable... please stop deluding yourself. I think it's better to retain your dignity if your character is deconfirmed to be playable, because honestly it's sort of sad seeing these users come up with these insane theories for the game. If he's a stage hazard, any iota of a chance that he had at being playable vanishes.

I'm writing this post as a Ridley fan, and as a Smash Brothers fan. I hate seeing so many users clot together and delude themselves to the point where some threaten to not purchase the game if he is not included as a playable character. There are many aspects of Smash Brothers to enjoy, don't make your expectations so high to the point where if something goes wrong you jump ship. I have plenty of characters that I'm pining for, but if they aren't included i'm not going to cry, shake or refuse to buy the new game. There's plenty of good content already announced, who knows what else Sakurai has up his sleeve. Just quietly hope for your character, and if not then aw crap. Coming up with all of these crazy "facts" and statements just makes people want to laugh when they read this thread, and I think the fans of Ridley should want to come off as a civilized group, not like a bunch of ravaging baboons who've had their bananas stolen from them. Saying "Ridley is the number one suggested character" or "If Ridley isn't in this game, Sakurai's gonna have to deal with a ****storm" just makes you look ignorant and silly.

Want what's best for Ridley.

tl;dr: You should consider what is best for Ridley as a character before you decide that Sakurai is doing a disservice to him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occurs. The Ridley fight in Other M was based off the fight in Subspace Emissary with Samus being caught off-guard replaced with random PTSD and Pikachu being replaced by Anthony (Not sure what the implications of that are.)

The arena is similar and Ridley uses the exact same wall grind move.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dr. Geno, I might make a follow-up to that once I'm home to school, but you're not the first one who's said this, and you won't be the first one to have the argument stomped. But to say in short: Ridley as a boss was a joke and acted more like Dyna Blade than Ridley. It wasn't just a kick in the balls because he wasn't a character, but the boss battles didn't hold true to Ridley. Degrading Ridley to a stage hazard would put him on the level of Kraid, Whispy Woods, Palkia, Dialga, Cresselia, Parasite Queen and more characters who simply aren't important.

As I said, I'll go more into detail later, but the only true way to represent Ridley properly is as a character in a game like this. Golden might also pop in, since he's experienced in explaining why Ridley's boss appearance was humiliating to say the least.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
How good he is as a boss, while something he did say, doesn't really seem essential to his main point. I didn't really like his boss fights in Brawl at all, but that doesn't really affect the argument. I'm with you there though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How good he is as a boss, while something he did say, doesn't really seem essential to his main point. I didn't really like his boss fights in Brawl at all, but that doesn't really affect the argument. I'm with you there though.
My point with it was that it wasn't Ridley we fought, it was Dynablade, and thus I have a hard time seeing why it's best for Ridley to be a boss when it isn't even him we're fighting.

Dr.Geno

Smash Rookie
My point with it was that it wasn't Ridley we fought, it was Dynablade, and thus I have a hard time seeing why it's best for Ridley to be a boss when it isn't even him we're fighting.
Just because one move resembled Dyna Blade, doesn't mean you fought Dyna Blade in a Ridley costume.

That being said, I think that simply justifies him being a stage hazard more. It gives the developers a lot more freedom for him to do something truly in his nature. This is really all I have to say to you guys, though. I don't intend to go back and fourth, just wanted to share my point of view.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Jupiter isn't solid...or safe to get close too.

Besides, it's still not big enough for him.
I'd say Jupiter is about the right size for him, but being the flying creature that he is, the strong winds would blow him around silly.
The only character that would be able to walk there is Metal Mario :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just because one move resembled Dyna Blade, doesn't mean you fought Dyna Blade in a Ridley costume.

That being said, I think that simply justifies him being a stage hazard more. It gives the developers a lot more freedom for him to do something truly in his nature. This is really all I have to say to you guys, though. I don't intend to go back and fourth, just wanted to share my point of view.
Well, in that case there's no reason to prepare some big post about it. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but it's not likely to change anyone's mind around here, though I don't believe that was your intentions either.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm becoming a fan of the concept of Ridley being both a stage hazard (Other M) and playable character (Super Metroid). If people have no problem with Toon Link potentially doing the same thing for the Spirit Tracks stage.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
There are a lot of reasons, but I'll only go into a few of them. I know a lot of you like to push against the "Too big" argument, which is fair when it's said out of context. Simply stating that Ridley is too big without any context or justification is silly. The reason why he wouldn't work in Smash Bros is not because he himself is too big, it's because he's too big relative to Samus, which is all that matters here. The reason characters like Olimar and Bowser work, which I know are some of your loudest responses against the 'too big' issue, is because they were never shown standing next to each other in a game before Smash Brothers. As long as the proportions work relative to characters in the series, it's a seamless transition. Olimar and his Pikmin have the same relative size to each other in Brawl as they do in Pikmin. Bowser has been the size he is in Smash Bros relative to Mario in numerous, numerous other Super Mario and spin off games (not due to hardware restrictions either, which I'll get into later). That is why those characters work, and you're going to hear me say this a lot, the characters' relative sizes in comparison to one another being the same allow them to seamlessly transition into the Smash Brothers environment.
Ganondorf has never been the size he is in Brawl or Melee relative to Link or Zelda in any LoZ game. Ike's sword is much larger in Brawl compared to him than it is in either PoR or RD.

Now as you all know, Ridley has and will continue to be of gargantuan proportions (bar the Metroid game on the NES). He's been shown relative to Samus in the Metroid series tons of times, always being huge (bar NES, again). His largeness is what makes up a significant portion of his character. He's huge, he's scary, he's ferocious. Shrinking him down is indeed possible, yes, but is it for the best? Is that the best way to represent him, retain his integrity, and who he really is as a character? If you asked me, this coming from a large Metroid fan (and by extension, a Ridley fan), I think the only way to do Ridley justice is to keep him large. Keep him fearsome.
Well, yes, since Ridley size isn't consistent. Omega Ridley is a different size compared to Meta Ridley, and they were in the same game together, and Meta Ridley in Brawl is a different size to Ridley in Brawl. And his size the the Melee intro would be perfect size wise for being playable. Ridley's size is not a huge part of his character, since he's never the same size twice, but what he always is is ferocious and brutal, which can come across fine even when he's smaller.

In Brawl he was a force to be reckoned with, terrorizing the stage in not one but two different forms.
And in both fight's he's highly predictable, and has extremely telegraphed moves in the first.

And now he's been upgraded to a potential stage hazard, where he will be able to terrorize players constantly throughout the fight. I think that's wonderful, and fit's Ridley's bill. Making a character playable doesn't have to be the king pin almighty alpha and omega when it comes to representing a character or pleasing their fans. In my humble opinion, Sakurai chose the best way to represent the character of Ridley while simultaneously maintaining the integrity of the character (which is SUPER important). He could have VERY EASILY made him a character, he's overcome other issues he's had with characters he's wanted to add into the roster, like Pit not being added to SSB64 apparently due to his wings, or with Villager who wasn't added into Brawl because Sakurai didn't think he would fit in well. He's overcome the design struggles of characters he's wanted to be in the game. He overcame that struggle with Ridley in Brawl, by making him a boss. Him, alongside Porky, were the ONLY character bosses on top of that, the only bosses from Nintendo series.
If he's a stage hazard, that demotes him to being as important as Kraid, which doesn't suit Samus' nemesis, her Bowser. And the boss Ridley's hardly maintained the integrity of the character. Normal Ridley doesn't use fire, and Meta Ridley doesn't use bombs or missiles. Not to mention the "let's stay in one place and be an easy target". In every Ridley fight, he doesn't stay still, always on the move, always trying to kill you. In Brawl both bosses just stop after attacking, and just don't move until the next one, which doesn't sound like Ridley at all. Also, Rayquaza.

Now I remember some other users saying something about "Ridley was that height in the NES version, they can just use NES Ridley!" to which my response is... There is no... "NES Ridley". Other than the Other M incarnation of Ridley being a clone of his former self, there is only ONE Ridley. Ridley was only that height in the NES version of the game because of hardware limitations. He quickly grew to three times his former height in Super Metroid (and stayed that way for every other game since) because that is how he is meant to be perceived, as a gigantic dragon. He's been represented that way ever since. For those who cite the Melee opening as an instance where he is small, I invite you to research dramatic perspective angles, because those were at work in that scene. Samus is up close, Ridley is far (evidenced by Samus jumping over to and eventually over Ridley himself, plus as you see Ridley lunge toward the camera, his full size is revealed). He's still very large in that scene. It was to fit his whole body into the scene while still maintaining Samus as a focal point. Genius, really.
Ridley's size changes in every game, sometimes even in the same game. His size is never consistent. And yes there is NES Ridley. He was rebuilt for Prime, whose to say they didn't rebuild him bigger? And if so, then they could just use that size from the distance as his height normally. He's still large, still a ferocious dragon, still Ridley.

Saying "Ridley is the number one suggested character"... just makes you look ignorant and silly.
Ridley is the number one suggested newcomer on the poll on here, only Mewtwo is higher, but he was in Melee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm becoming a fan of the concept of Ridley being both a stage hazard (Other M) and playable character (Super Metroid). If people have no problem with Toon Link potentially doing the same thing for the Spirit Tracks stage.
MY PROBLEM WITH THAT IS TOO BIG TO DESCRIBE PROPERLY.

Anyway... Though it may just be my HOPEFULNESS, I feel like I'm becoming slightly more confident that Sakurai's comment was more of just a nod of the history associated with that area, and not something that pertains to it in Smash.

"This is the Pyrosphere from Other M, the site of a traumatic event for Samus..."
"This is the Pyrosphere from Other M, the site where Ridley was encountered..."

Something to that effect. Don't want to raise any hopes, mine definitely aren't, but something like that would definitely be much less confusing and fall more in line with how Sakurai typically handles this kind of stuff.

I think most Smash fans are going to be embarrassed if we ONCE AGAIN freaked out over nothing... but then again it will be hard to feel anything other than utter joy.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Dr. Geno, I might make a follow-up to that once I'm home to school, but you're not the first one who's said this, and you won't be the first one to have the argument stomped. But to say in short: Ridley as a boss was a joke and acted more like Dyna Blade than Ridley. It wasn't just a kick in the balls because he wasn't a character, but the boss battles didn't hold true to Ridley. Degrading Ridley to a stage hazard would put him on the level of Kraid, Whispy Woods, Palkia, Dialga, Cresselia, Parasite Queen and more characters who simply aren't important.

As I said, I'll go more into detail later, but the only true way to represent Ridley properly is as a character in a game like this. Golden might also pop in, since he's experienced in explaining why Ridley's boss appearance was humiliating to say the least.
I'm not seeing how any argument "got stomped" here. If you think Sakurai didn't make Ridley "Ridley" enough as a boss fight (which is what Ridley is in the games, a boss) how is Sakurai possibly going to be more true to Ridley making him a shrunken melee fighter?

Now that you mention it, making him a stage hazard would fit right at home with Kraid's appearance in Melee.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not seeing how any argument "got stomped" here. If you think Sakurai didn't make Ridley "Ridley" enough as a boss fight (which is what Ridley is in the games, a boss) how is Sakurai possibly going to be more true to Ridley making him a shrunken melee fighter?

Now that you mention it, making him a stage hazard would fit right at home with Kraid's appearance in Melee.
No, I didn't bother making a big long post when he said that he didn't plan to have a discussion made out of it, he just wanted to express his opinion, so there was no reason to make a long post discussing it. Previously people have brought up that they think Ridley fits better as a boss though, and people have even gone ahead and labeled us as "people that don't understand Ridley" which definitely isn't true. We have dealed with such arguments before, which is what I was referring to. Ridley isn't as one-sided as every other boss, and certainly not as one-sided as any bosses from the Metroid series either, sure he's not a complex character in any way, but he does have a character, he's more than just a big scawy dragon that looks cool, which is why it's important that gets represented properly, and it can't get represented properly if he's just in the background ocassionally shooting a fireball or two off. That's not Ridley's appeal, and it'd be much wasted potential.

And yes, Ridley is a boss in the Metroid games. Bowser, Dedede, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Wolf and even Wario are in their games of origin too. Does that mean that their potential should get wasted too?

Boss attacks are made very differently, there are many more restrictions because you have to take the location and players into consideration much more. With Ridley as a character Sakurai would of course research much more about him, he wouldn't be as limited moveset wise, and he'd have many more moves to represent Ridley's actual fighting style. Therefore I believe that Sakurai would do much better when making Ridley as a character, and would do him much more justice that way.

And Kraid is a much more minor boss than Ridley, it would be sad to see the second most iconic character of Metroid get degraded to the same role as a boss who hasn't appeared in 10 years soon, his last appearance being in a remake, if we go further back than that Kraid hasn't officially appeared in the storyline since 1994.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
People who don't want Ridley in Smash don't seem to know what they think though.
Some think it's because he can't feel like the "true" Ridley unless he's a boss to best represent his character.
Others think it's because he's not unique and he would be lame.Thinking he could be a charizard clone.
???

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Btw guys, might be worth the info. The "Challenger Approaching" banner was officially taken down yesterday.

And no, it's not like previously where it came back up again, you can literally go into the css and see that it has been set to hidden. It's also only set to hidden, so they can edit it and show it at an instant whenever they want to.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I want to say we'll see a character reveal at PAX for sure because of Nintendo's big presence and all, it would be good for publicity if they had some devs show off a newcomer in a presentation, just like the Wii Fit Trainer.

But.

The fact that I doubt Sakurai or other devs working on the game will be there is what makes me think we shouldn't fully expect a character reveal at the event.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Btw guys, might be worth the info. The "Challenger Approaching" banner was officially taken down yesterday.

And no, it's not like previously where it came back up again, you can literally go into the css and see that it has been set to hidden. It's also only set to hidden, so they can edit it and show it at an instant whenever they want to.
Actually it was a few days ago and I'm not amused they gave us another pilotwing stage instead of showing the results

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Okay, serious mode.

I've been following this thread for quite some time now. I'm not an enemy of Ridley, I don't hate him and I understand that he is a very important character to the Metroid series. I'm actually a huge proponent of Ridley, and I support his inclusion in smash brothers. Maybe not in the same way as the rest of you, but I'll get into that in a bit. That being said, if you guys were as true Ridley fans as you say you are, you should understand why him not being playable is probably for the best.

In Brawl he was a force to be reckoned with, terrorizing the stage in not one but two different forms. I think Sakurai went above and beyond expectations as far as representing Ridley goes. And now he's been upgraded to a potential stage hazard, where he will be able to terrorize players constantly throughout the fight. I think that's wonderful, and fit's Ridley's bill. Making a character playable doesn't have to be the king pin almighty alpha and omega when it comes to representing a character or pleasing their fans. In my humble opinion, Sakurai chose the best way to represent the character of Ridley while simultaneously maintaining the integrity of the character (which is SUPER important). He could have VERY EASILY made him a character, he's overcome other issues he's had with characters he's wanted to add into the roster, like Pit not being added to SSB64 apparently due to his wings, or with Villager who wasn't added into Brawl because Sakurai didn't think he would fit in well. He's overcome the design struggles of characters he's wanted to be in the game. He overcame that struggle with Ridley in Brawl, by making him a boss. Him, alongside Porky, were the ONLY character bosses on top of that, the only bosses from Nintendo series. On top of that, he appeared a second time with a different form. I think that makes him pretty damn special.

To those who believe if it is the Other M incarnation Ridley as a stage hazard, Super Metroid Ridley still has a chance of being playable... please stop deluding yourself. I think it's better to retain your dignity if your character is deconfirmed to be playable, because honestly it's sort of sad seeing these users come up with these insane theories for the game. If he's a stage hazard, any iota of a chance that he had at being playable vanishes.

I'm writing this post as a Ridley fan, and as a Smash Brothers fan. I hate seeing so many users clot together and delude themselves to the point where some threaten to not purchase the game if he is not included as a playable character. There are many aspects of Smash Brothers to enjoy, don't make your expectations so high to the point where if something goes wrong you jump ship. I have plenty of characters that I'm pining for, but if they aren't included i'm not going to cry, shake or refuse to buy the new game. There's plenty of good content already announced, who knows what else Sakurai has up his sleeve. Just quietly hope for your character, and if not then aw crap. Coming up with all of these crazy "facts" and statements just makes people want to laugh when they read this thread, and I think the fans of Ridley should want to come off as a civilized group, not like a bunch of ravaging baboons who've had their bananas stolen from them. Saying "Ridley is the number one suggested character" or "If Ridley isn't in this game, Sakurai's gonna have to deal with a ****storm" just makes you look ignorant and silly.

tl;dr: You should consider what is best for Ridley as a character before you decide that Sakurai is doing a disservice to him.
I do kind of agree if Ridley's not a playable character Ridley fans have no reason to start raging and not buying the game we got more cool features it's like people not buying Sm4sh because there's no Story mode which is dumb and again we have more cool features and for the part that says "Sakurai's gonna have to deal with a ****storm just makes you look ignorant and silly" <-- couldn't agree more.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A few things caught my eye:

In Brawl he was a force to be reckoned with, terrorizing the stage in not one but two different forms...And now he's been upgraded to a potential stage hazard, where he will be able to terrorize players constantly throughout the fight.

I posted about this a few days previously; Ridley was handled horribly as a boss in Brawl, in my opinion. His first fight was essentially a reskinned Dyna Blade, and for both of his fights, the moment any given player learns his attacks, he becomes a pushover, not representative of the vicious mastermind he is in the slightest. He may be more convincingly terrifying as a stage hazard, but even then, balance alone dictates he won't be too powerful, in contrast to how dangerous he could be if playable in the hands of experts.

For those who cite the Melee opening as an instance where he is small, I invite you to research dramatic perspective angles, because those were at work in that scene. Samus is up close, Ridley is far (evidenced by Samus jumping over to and eventually over Ridley himself, plus as you see Ridley lunge toward the camera, his full size is revealed). He's still very large in that scene. It was to fit his whole body into the scene while still maintaining Samus as a focal point. Genius, really.

It's the principle that matters. If Ridley can look convincingly smaller unless that cutscene is paused at one precise frame where he's close to the camera, or unless the player has the background knowledge that NES Ridley was small due to system limitations, it doesn't matter how many games exist in which he's not smaller, those singular appearances remain valid. Hell, if Ridley never appeared small, it still wouldn't be an obstacle for him...maybe balancing and animating him would be, but both are independent of his size.

Saying "Ridley is the number one suggested character" or "If Ridley isn't in this game, Sakurai's gonna have to deal with a ****storm" just makes you look ignorant and silly.

You deny either of those? Some reactions do reflect poorly on the collective fanbase, but you have to be 'ignorant and silly' to think that many don't want the character or that they wouldn't be terribly disappointed with him being skipped over.

Join the National Organization for Smash Bros. Canon today!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I want to say we'll see a character reveal at PAX for sure because of Nintendo's big presence and all, it would be good for publicity if they had some devs show off a newcomer in a presentation, just like the Wii Fit Trainer.

But.

The fact that I doubt Sakurai or other devs working on the game will be there is what makes me think we shouldn't fully expect a character reveal at the event.
Sakurai really doesn't need to be there for just a character reveal, I doubt he'll even be at any Nintendo Directs that might introduce a newcomer.

The problem I see with expecting too much out of PAX is that the conferences they have over there are about very specific subjects like Wonderful 101, and they're all conferences where Ridley, or Smash Bros character reveal in general, wouldn't be relevant. Of course everything isn't set in stone yet, but looking over the schedule it doesn't really look like a character reveal would fit in at any conferences, closest would be the mini-Brawl tourney, and that's extremely doubtful.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sakurai really doesn't need to be there for just a character reveal, I doubt he'll even be at any Nintendo Directs that might introduce a newcomer.

The problem I see with expecting too much out of PAX is that the conferences they have over there are about very specific subjects like Wonderful 101, and they're all conferences where Ridley, or Smash Bros character reveal in general, wouldn't be relevant. Of course everything isn't set in stone yet, but looking over the schedule it doesn't really look like a character reveal would fit in at any conferences, closest would be the mini-Brawl tourney, and that's extremely doubtful.
I expect Ridley's reveal to be more of a sleeper kind of thing. For example, he is not revealed at the website right away, but is briefly shown at Nintendo Direct.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This is maybe the only part of your post I agree with. I'm pretty down to earth, if Ridley is a stage hazard, I highly highly doubt he'll be playable. Sure, there were technically ROB's on big blue, but those weren't generic. And it was pretty heavily hinted that Ridley would appear in this stage. however, sakurai doesn't specifically say as a stage hazard. And we all know, Sakurai is the biggest troll of them all. This could just as easily be a confirmation of ridley. Sure, it's not stated that way... But then again, Sakurai.

Most of your arguments, especially the size stuff, has already been argued to death and further, to the point where I don't believe simple points and counterpoints will change people's opinions, so I won't touch it at all.

But I commend you on breaking lurker status, always a fun barrier to break.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Already came to accept it's gonna be Other M Ridley, aka Duckface Ridley?

Okay, I agree a Ridley with a duckface would be better if drawn by Oasis or Habanero, but yeah, I was bored so...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Only when he can catch them.

Of course I'd go out of my way to find time for you. I've just been busy lately, and didn't want to bug you. A friend of mine tells me you play Gears, though. We should play sometime. <3

Owww IsmaR <3 i would love to play gears with you sometime and i appreciate what you said.

I guess its back on the love train.

Love Train>>>Hype Train by the way.....

~ RealTalk *

Hearts-and-love-vinyl-wall-design.jpg

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I was pretty disappointed not to see anything Metroid on the website this morning.
Oh well, maybe next week or the week after.
You know, or maybe after that.

Top Bottom