• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Has Nintendo revealed big things for PAX in the past?
To be honest, in the eyes of Nintendo Ridley as a character in Smash really isn't a big thing, it's just a character in Smash Bros. Huge things don't get revealed at any place other than the ones John listed, luckily for us despite his size Ridley doesn't clasify as a huge thing in Nintendo's big image. They'll make some announcements regarding features in Wonderful 101 iirc, they'll have a whole convention regarding just that.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So... no real chance of it happening?

And the "Go K.K. Rider" update.
Nope, not really. No other press events are that big.

And oh yeah, I remember that now.

Some people thought he was referring to the Animal Crosser or Tom Nook!!! :laugh: If they thought it was the former, they were late... by about 6 or 7 years!!! :chuckle:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Any size problems Ridley had fitting into Brawl were irrelevant when Wii Fit Trainer entered the scene.

Clearly her confirmation meant that Ridley would never be too big. She'd make him fit. :p

We can all thank Wii Fit Trainer for making Ridley playable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be honest, in the eyes of Nintendo Ridley as a character in Smash really isn't a big thing, it's just a character in Smash Bros. Huge things don't get revealed at any place other than the ones John listed, luckily for us despite his size Ridley doesn't clasify as a huge thing in Nintendo's big image. They'll make some announcements regarding features in Wonderful 101 iirc, they'll have a whole convention regarding just that.
So there's a chance I guess.

Nope, not really. No other press events are that big.

And oh yeah, I remember that now.

Some people thought he was referring to the Animal Crosser or Tom Nook!!! :laugh: If they thought it was the former, they were late... by about 6 or 7 years!!! :chuckle:
Lol.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley is soooo big to Nintendo, he was one of the most landed on properties (and by properties I mean characters) in Nintendo Monopoly! :shades:

Slippy over Krystal, Peppy, or Wolf gives me a case of the lulzies. :grin:

Waluigi as the least valuable property/character!!! :chuckle:

Back on topic, Ridley isn't big enough to solo announce at a big conference like the Tokyo Game Show unless it goes with other things like multiple (popular) veterans being confirmed (or maybe just one of the 2 3rd party veterans), new gameplay or adventure mode stuff, or even another newcomer.

Still, Ridley, hopefully like all newcomers, will get an awesome super HD intro... which my body will never be ready for.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Oasis: "Heroes always arrive late." seems like it was an indirect hint at Sonic back in Brawl. I mean, he DID arrive late in both the game itself and in the SSE story.
What, no.

Anyway, I don't think anything of these conventions. Wouldn't really make sense for Smash stuff to be revealed there.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It all makes sense now, Ridley lived a similar life to Simba.

His father was killed by his jealous uncle.

He grew up with a Ki hunter and a Zebesian.

Trained to be stronger.

Returned and got his revenge, only he killed his uncle, unlike Simba.

And thereafter he took over the Space Pirates. (well, Mother Brain was still the leader, Ridley has high command over all of the other pirates though)

...and that's why he killed Samus' parents. He thought everyone's parents deserved to die if one of his was killed as well.

(if you don't know why I'm saying all this then you must've missed a page)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm waiting for like Smash 11 to finally have Saki be confirmed as a playable character in like 2037, and people will reference back 30 years to 2007 when Sakurai basically said that Saki fits in with all the playable characters on the screen!!! :chuckle:

Or like Mach Rider being playable in Smash 7 in like 2020 and people will reference Sakurai saying in 2001 that he chose the Ice Climbers over Mach Rider, Bubbles (Clu-Clu Land), Sukapon, the Excite Biker, the Urban Champion, and the Balloon Fighter.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nothing of Ridley in the daily pic today. Probably for the best.
I told you guys we aren't getting Ridley for a while.

Honestly, I think it will be many, many months before we get Ridley.

I expect the detractors and doubters will use this as "proof" that they are right, despite it meaning nothing but tension building, which psychology-wise means the opposite (unless Sakurai wants the Smash fanbase less hyped).

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Now the border in the Wii U border, but it shows the 3DS screenshot. K then.

It's just WFT and Pit. Think we'll see any Ridley related at all this week?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's just WFT and Pit. Think we'll see any Ridley related at all this week?
I'm not keeping my hopes up, we'll probably see something of him earliest next week, since we've already had a stage announcement this week. Heck, we've already had Luigi this month, so there's even the possibility that we won't hear anything this month. As John says, there is the possibility that Sakurai will stretch it a long way too, though that wouldn't bode well for us given the "any second" notion.

I personally expected to hear nothing about Ridley until next year, so it's still kind of shocking that he has already been brought up.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah, I expect if he's a stage hazard we'll see him soon enough. Like I was saying about the Reset Bomb and Pilotwings stages, he showed more of them off only a couple weeks later (if that even).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I expect if he's a stage hazard we'll see him soon enough. Like I was saying about the Reset Bomb and Pilotwings stages, he showed more of them off only a couple weeks later (if that even).
Both of them was just a week later iirc, Reset Bomb might have been a little later.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
We'll see more of the stage soon I'm sure, just like the Reset Bomb and Pilotwings stage. If Ridley isn't shown as a hazard in the next few screens of the stage then I think we're safe for now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pilotwings stage was shown the 6th August, plane picture on the 14th August.

Kid Icarus stage was shown the 23th July, second phase was shown the 1st August.

Man, sure felt like shorter time in between.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Pilotwings stage was shown the 6th August, plane picture on the 14th August.

Kid Icarus stage was shown the 23th July, second phase was shown the 1st August.

Man, sure felt like shorter time in between.
So judging off the past, we'll hopefully be getting some more Ridley news next week.

Dr.Geno

Smash Rookie
Hype it up, less than 24 hours until Ridley is shown in game for the big friday update!

As a stage hazard.

:secretkpop:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So judging off the past, we'll hopefully be getting some more Ridley news next week.
Yeah, and let's hope it goes to our favor. For the first time I'm begging for a Metroid stage to have lava as a stage hazard again.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Yeah, and let's hope it goes to our favor. For the first time I'm begging for a Metroid stage to have lava as a stage hazard again.
Sakurai reveals that the stage's hazard is lava next week and everyone is happy.

Then reveals Ridley is a hazard too sometime afterwards. Calling it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai reveals that the stage's hazard is lava next week and everyone is happy.

Then reveals Ridley is a hazard too sometime afterwards. Calling it.
That'd make 75M look like a harmless stage. I'm sure he wouldn't make a stage so overkill.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
That'd make 75M look like a harmless stage. I'm sure he wouldn't make a stage so overkill.
I really don't see how Ridley would be the stage hazard if he wasn't in the room in the first place, that is unless he'll burst out of the wall or come out from below the stage, but even those options barely make sense.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And it would be a copy of freaking that Dead or Alive game, minus Samus being a stage hazard...

...which is 100% not Sakurai's way of doing things.

Honestly, I think there is a better chance Ridley is an Assist Trophy character (like he was originally planned to be in Brawl) than a stage hazard.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
At this point, it's 50/50 on whether he will be playable or not.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Glad the old thread title is back.

I'm not keeping my hopes up, we'll probably see something of him earliest next week, since we've already had a stage announcement this week. Heck, we've already had Luigi this month, so there's even the possibility that we won't hear anything this month. As John says, there is the possibility that Sakurai will stretch it a long way too, though that wouldn't bode well for us given the "any second" notion.

I personally expected to hear nothing about Ridley until next year, so it's still kind of shocking that he has already been brought up.
But it couldnt mean ''any second'' as in the gameplay right?

I dunno why no one realises this or is ignoring....some times the simplest route is the answer.....

We humans really do make things harder than it needs to be.....anyone ever thought?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really don't see how Ridley would be the stage hazard if he wasn't in the room in the first place, that is unless he'll burst out of the wall or come out from below the stage, but even those options barely make sense.
Bursting out from the hole makes no sense at all. Not only because he couldn't fit through the rift in the game (which reminds me I owe Swampasaur a picture showing the rift before Ridley escapes,) but if you look close you can see that the hole is over half-filled by debris of some kind (I'm missing a proper english word for it, you'll know when you see it.) He'd have to come from below, he can't come from the sides since he'd clip through the lava. And again, you can see the bottom of the pit, I'm almost sure there's gonna be a lava hazard on this stage.

And it would be a copy of freaking that Dead or Alive game, minus Samus being a stage hazard...

...which is 100% not Sakurai's way of doing things.

Honestly, I think there is a better chance Ridley is an Assist Trophy character (like he was originally planned to be in Brawl) than a stage hazard.
Exactly, Sakurai doesn't copy like that. Though it is kind of fishy that he did pick the same location to begin with, so I honestly don't think he cares that much.

I also think that there's a reason that Ridley was cut from being an Assist Trophy. Of course because he had to be a boss too, but could also be because Ridley isn't prone to help anyone other than Mother Brain, and certainly not anyone on the roster. Imagine how odd it'd be to have Ridley pop out and help you as Samus. And yes, I know Andross, but that's more comparable to Mother Brain being an Assist Trophy, Ridley being an Assist Trophy would be comparable to Wolf being an Assist Trophy. Plus, Anthony and the Metroid are much better Assist Trophies either way. Of course they can still do it, but just stating why it'd be a bad move.

D

Deleted member

Guys, dunno if it was already posted, but I think you should take a look to this recent video :

It's yet too soon to claim defeat. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley coming from below the stage makes complete sense considering that's how he appeared in Other M. Maybe you hit him enough and he falls back down into it, or he just goes in by himself, or he doesn't go back down at all and he just flies around in the back waiting to attack for the rest of the match.

He's going to appear, it really doesn't matter how.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Guys, dunno if it was already posted, but I think you should take a look to this recent video :

It's yet too soon to claim defeat. ;)
Talk about maipulating our dreamz with da pic....RealTalk....it looks so good...so right......so make it happen !!!!

PS: Ridley has left K.Rool with about 10+ votes this time not just like 5/6.

PeePz are starting to wake up.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That video is pretty awful.

Citing the hole as the main point in controversy? Some nonsense about it not being breakable due to [insert loosely technical term]? Then junk about Toon Link and DK.

Terrible.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sakurai destroys our logic and general realism anyway...im telling you.....Smash is mario party on drugs...RealTalk....one of the things Sakurai said himself about smash is that he loves it because he can do whatever he likes......

Kraid just popped outta no where on brinstar in melee like wtf.....nothing has to make sense really oin smash.....balloon fighter can still be a char.

D

Deleted member

That video is pretty awful.

Citing the hole as the main point in controversy? Some nonsense about it not being breakable due to [insert loosely technical term]? Then junk about Toon Link and DK.

Terrible.
He however points out a good point here : Ridley has been cloned many times in the Metroid's stroryline.

It is a possibility that we could see a stage hazard-Ridley from Other M AND a playable Ridley with a "remixed" design, like for Link and Fox.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He however points out a good point here : Ridley has been cloned many times in the Metroid's stroryline.

It is a possibility that we could see a stage hazard-Ridley from Other M AND a playable Ridley with a "remixed" design, like for Link and Fox.
I'm sorry but that's really dumb.

Like I've said that's the same as saying Toon Link can still be playable because there are different ones in the timeline.

It's as bad as Nook supporters in the Brawl days.

Top Bottom