• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wow. Seems like I missed alot of posts. I still think that Ridley could be a playable character. But I suppose that the stage hazard thing is possible too. But I won't make too big of a deal out of this really vague statement. I'm going to play the waiting game anyways.

Groose

Smash Champion
You've appeared to hit some critical points. Well played... But this isn't over yet.​
You are a worthy opponent indeed, but I am far from losing!
However, the point still stands that there is still the possibility of Ridley not being the aforementioned creature. Though you've debunked Cresselia and Kraid, you've yet to justify why the Ultimate Chimera acts as a stage element that appears out of nowhere. Additionally, the Melee stage, the Fountain of Dreams, completely lacks any presence of King Dedede despite it being an arena based completely on his bossfight, much as you claim Pyrosphere is based on Ridley's fight. Despite it being a recreation of the area where a major character appears, it lacks said character, despite what you claim to hold true of Ridley's arena.
Take note of this evidence:
[collapse="Exhibit A - Other M Ridley Hole Photograph"]​
[/collapse]​
The perspective of the hole indicates it is either to the side of or in front of the arena. Now, compare this to the stage in Smash Bros.!
[collapse="Exhibit B - SSB4 Pyrosphere Photograph"]​
[/collapse]​
While this stage is indeed based on the room Ridley is fought in, there are some very noticeable differences, such as the hole's shape and position, showing that there are signs the room may be showcased as the room itself rather than the actual battle against Ridley. Additionally, based on the floating platforms entirely breaking the format of the Other M Ridley fight, Sakurai is okay with leaving out details in order to improve aesthetics and gameplay balance. Be this the case, it is not out of the realm of possibility to suggest that the room is selected as a stage not for the reason that it was where you fight Ridley, but rather for the reason that it is the most stable fighting platform itself. Considering the constant tradition of lava/acid-flow in Metroid stages, as well as the unstable footing of the rest of Other M's Pyrosphere, there is nothing to suggest that Ridley truly is the essential trait about this room.
So once again, my opposing Groosely prosecutor, you are hard pressed to showing me any clear-cut evidence that proves that Ridley will indeed be a stage hazard. Your argument shows potential, but the facts do not line up in your favor!

Erm... I haven't tried to prove that he'll be a stage hazard. My unshakable faith in Ridley makes me believe the opposite; I'm still on the playable Ridley bandwagon. What I've been trying to prove is merely this: the character that the quote hints may "appear at any second" is Ridley. To support this; I've brought up the similarities in the pictured stage to Ridley's battle stage and the nature of the quote itself.
Now that we have that misconception out of the way, I do stand by my claim: the "trauma" that Sakurai references can only be Ridley! You've successfully proved that the quote (specifically the words "trauma" and "enemy") can refer to Mother Brain in addition to Ridley. Even so, the image and the quote together form the decisive evidence that Ridley is the one Sakurai is talking about and perhaps teasing.
I'll start with your whole "hole" business. The stage itself looks very much like the one from Other M. They may not match up in EVERY respect, but they do closely resemble each other. A few details are different, but such is only to be expected when adopting an area to a completely different genre of game. Just look at how the world of Hyrule changes depending upon the Zelda game in question; the location is changed to meet gameplay needs.
We do not have a comparable moment relating to the Fountain of Dreams or even to New Pork City. Sakurai never mentioned anything about enemies appearing when he was unveiling either stage. If he had done so for Fountain of Dreams or New Pork City, it would have been a completely different story; you'd be correct in saying that the Miiverse photo and description do not concern Ridley. As of now, however, we must acknowledge that this situation is unprecedented; Sakurai hasn't ambiguously mentioned an enemy appearing on a stage with a choice of enemy that is obvious.
My Closing Statement:
Sakurai describes what can only be one of two characters: Ridley or Mother Brain. Ridley is the character who more closely fits the description of "Samus's Trauma," suggesting that he is indeed the one who will appear.
Because of the picture Sakurai provided along with his description, which depicts an area closely related to Ridley and completely foreign to Mother Brain, we can only assume that the character he wants us to envision is Ridley. Why would he post a picture of Ridley's battlefield if he wanted us to think of Mother Brain? It makes absolutely no sense.
The only case of a "boss" character appearing on a stage where they do not belong is New Pork City. However, this is the exception and not the rule; additionally, Sakurai did not taunt about an incoming enemy then, meaning that the current situation is different.
The current situation, Ladies and Gentlemen, is Ridley. Ridley is coming; hazard or playable, we will know "any second."
This was a great debate, really. But I feel as if we've drawn it out long enough. I don't think I managed to prove my point beyond all doubt as I should have, but I do think I made a few things clear. I made it pretty obvious that it refers to Ridley, even if my arguments may not be enough to sway a court of law.
As of now, I'm going to go and play some Ace Attorney. Adieu.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You're only saying that because Kamek is fat and Ridley has an eating disorder.
what?

no, I was saying it because he said he was going to feast on corpses and I thought it would be funny to say gross to the normal part of that sentence.

but now it's not funny YOU SPOILED IT.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Erm... I haven't tried to prove that he'll be a stage hazard. My unshakable faith in Ridley makes me believe the opposite; I'm still on the playable Ridley bandwagon. What I've been trying to prove is merely this: the character that the quote hints may "appear at any second" is Ridley. To support this; I've brought up the similarities in the pictured stage to Ridley's battle stage and the nature of the quote itself.
Now that we have that misconception out of the way, I do stand by my claim: the "trauma" that Sakurai references can only be Ridley! You've successfully proved that the quote (specifically the words "trauma" and "enemy") can refer to Mother Brain in addition to Ridley. Even so, the image and the quote together form the decisive evidence that Ridley is the one Sakurai is talking about and perhaps teasing.
I'll start with your whole "hole" business. The stage itself looks very much like the one from Other M. They may not match up in EVERY respect, but they do closely resemble each other. A few details are different, but such is only to be expected when adopting an area to a completely different genre of game. Just look at how the world of Hyrule changes depending upon the Zelda game in question; the location is changed to meet gameplay needs.
We do not have a comparable moment relating to the Fountain of Dreams or even to New Pork City. Sakurai never mentioned anything about enemies appearing when he was unveiling either stage. If he had done so for Fountain of Dreams or New Pork City, it would have been a completely different story; you'd be correct in saying that the Miiverse photo and description do not concern Ridley. As of now, however, we must acknowledge that this situation is unprecedented; Sakurai hasn't ambiguously mentioned an enemy appearing on a stage with a choice of enemy that is obvious.
My Closing Statement:
Sakurai describes what can only be one of two characters: Ridley or Mother Brain. Ridley is the character who more closely fits the description of "Samus's Trauma," suggesting that he is indeed the one who will appear.
Because of the picture Sakurai provided along with his description, which depicts an area closely related to Ridley and completely foreign to Mother Brain, we can only assume that the character he wants us to envision is Ridley. Why would he post a picture of Ridley's battlefield if he wanted us to think of Mother Brain? It makes absolutely no sense.
The only case of a "boss" character appearing on a stage where they do not belong is New Pork City. However, this is the exception and not the rule; additionally, Sakurai did not taunt about an incoming enemy then, meaning that the current situation is different.
The current situation, Ladies and Gentlemen, is Ridley. Ridley is coming; hazard or playable, we will know "any second."
This was a great debate, really. But I feel as if we've drawn it out long enough. I don't think I managed to prove my point beyond all doubt as I should have, but I do think I made a few things clear. I made it pretty obvious that it refers to Ridley, even if my arguments may not be enough to sway a court of law.

Um did you just spontaneously switch from Phoenix to Edgeworth? Is that against the rules or something. Cause I'm not really sure myself.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I agree. The timing couldn't be better. I think we both raised excellent points, and for once I actually had enjoyment out of arguing with someone. It certainly didn't feel like a chore nor a hostile fight, so thank you completely. All that's left is to see whether Ridley is playable or not, hopefully the former.

Please god be the former. I've been debating the entire time that Ridley will not be a stage hazard, it'd feel like a shame for it to be for nothing.
Um did you just spontaneously switch from Phoenix to Edgeworth? Is that against the rules or something. Cause I'm not really sure myself.
That's a trial for another day, my friend.

Groose

Smash Champion
I agree. The timing couldn't be better. I think we both raised excellent points, and for once I actually had enjoyment out of arguing with someone. It certainly didn't feel like a chore nor a hostile fight, so thank you completely. All that's left is to see whether Ridley is playable or not, hopefully the former.
Please god be the former. I've been debating the entire time that Ridley will not be a stage hazard, it'd feel like a same for it to be for nothing.

That's a trial for another day, my friend.

I'm torn. It could be either. The stage is rather large and open, suggesting a big hazard could appear and have room to maneuver. There's also that blasted hole in the wall; it could be for decoration, but I'm uneasy; it seems like a perfect gateway for Ridley's stage hazard entrance.

On the other hand, even Sakurai would be going low to show off the stage and hint at Ridley... only to make him a hazard. It genuinely sounded like he was teasing, and he knows the repercussions he'd create by deconfirming Ridley in this suspenseful manner. Additonally, we have Gamescom and PAX in the next couple of days/weeks; the perfect time for revealing a newcomer would probably be at PAX.

I'm certainly hoping that Ridley is playable and I'm leaning in that direction. I just can't be certain.

Phoenix is cool and all... but only Edgeworth has that epic finishing bow that the situation demanded.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
I used to be neutral towards Ridley's inclusion, but after what I've seen yesterday all across the internet, I honestly hope he is playable, or else World War III won't be too far long.

Yeah, I know either way the internet will explode, but I'd rather see it explode due to glee and excitement rather than anger and despair.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I used to be neutral towards Ridley's inclusion, but after what I've seen yesterday all across the internet, I honestly hope he is playable, or else World War III won't be too far long.

Yeah, I know either way the internet will explode, but I'd rather see it explode due to glee and excitement rather than anger and despair (Oh wait, is the spoiler tag broken?)
use collapse instead of spoiler. confusing, but you'll get used to it.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I made a Miiverse post about playable Ridley and here's what happened

Me: Waiting for Ridley's status in this game is killing me!!
1st Comment: its not gonna happen... hopefully
2nd Comment: If it's not playable, i'm happy.

People in Miiverse are derps sometimes. I am glad there are people who are logical though in Miiverse.
Hopefully tomorrow we will get a new pic about the stage.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Aha, but you seem to be forgetting that there are known examples of hazard characters appearing not where they should be! Cresselia makes an appearance in Spear Pillar while the Ultimate Chimera makes an appearance in New Pork City, despite each being native to Fullmoon Island and the Chimera Lab, respectively. Additionally, the known appearance of Kraid in Lower Brinstar does not match up to its origins, as it appeared in the section known as Kraid in the original Metroid and Zero Mission where as its arena resembles nothing of that of its tropical habitat in Super Metroid. This therefore disproves your evidence that a creature must originate in its arena to make an appearance in it.
While you may raise a point with Samus' trauma potentially not resonating from Mother Brain, you lack true evidence to prove your reasoning. Samus' trauma had never existed in prior Ridley encounters. Her submissive demeanor did not appear until after Mother Brain destroyed the only thing she currently kept precious to her heart. It was not until after that incident that Samus had any sort of monologued madness mantra, taking the form of her sheer shock at The Baby's death. This suggests the trauma she had when facing Ridley was not genuine fear of encountering Ridley himself, but the fact that his encounter was so surprising in her already weakened mental state. Therefore, Mr. Groose, your current evidence does not favor Ridley as the culprit!
You are making this quite too easy for me, my friend. Let us end this trial before your investment leaves you disappointed from your loss.​

(Also this is really fun please don't stop)
ultimate chimera Is in new pork. When climbing the empire pork building, he is in a bathroom stall. The player needs to run in a d out quickly, then go back to a previous room and go back to the bathroom stall hallway. Ultimate chimera will have broken the door down and will be loose. You can then go into the stall where he was and get a great defense item.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
ultimate chimera Is in new pork. When climbing the empire pork building, he is in a bathroom stall. The player needs to run in a d out quickly, then go back to a previous room and go back to the bathroom stall hallway. Ultimate chimera will have broken the door down and will be loose. You can then go into the stall where he was and get a great defense item.
replying to that post like that without any cool GIFs?

I am disappoint.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I made a Miiverse post about playable Ridley and here's what happened

Me: Waiting for Ridley's status in this game is killing me!!
1st Comment: its not gonna happen... hopefully
2nd Comment: If it's not playable, i'm happy.

People in Miiverse are derps sometimes. I am glad there are people who are logical though in Miiverse.
Hopefully tomorrow we will get a new pic about the stage.
Why do people hate nice things?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hrrmmm... Y'know, though I suppose the way in which they would work can be different enough, having two stages where iconic bosses are the stage hazard is a little weird to me. WHERE IS THE VARIETY.

Talking about Mega Man's stage, btw.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Let's just hope Sakurai doesn't check a character's poppularity by looking on the Miiverse.

PS : I've just check a French forum and the most poppular characters on it seems to be Travis Touchdown, Bayonetta and Waluigi, oh and I have also seen some goku, naruto, luffy and even smurfs demands --' . It deffinitly was the best choice to be here.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Let's just hope Sakurai doesn't check a character's poppularity by looking on the Miiverse.

PS : I've just check a French forum and the most poppular characters on it seems to be Travis Touchdown, Bayonetta and Waluigi, oh and I have also seen some goku, naruto, luffy and even smurfs demands --' . It deffinitly was the best choice to be here.
all those are understandable by anime fan-boys.

except smurfs.

what are they? children?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
now, Ridley could be confirmed/deconfirmed any day now. watch for the rest of the week/month/year/forever for him.

Top Bottom