• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Let's just hope Sakurai doesn't check a character's poppularity by looking on the Miiverse.

PS : I've just check a French forum and the most poppular characters on it seems to be Travis Touchdown, Bayonetta and Waluigi, oh and I have also seen some goku, naruto, luffy and even smurfs demands --' . It deffinitly was the best choice to be here.
After Sakurai saying he's no longer taking fan demand, I wouldn't worry about those affecting his decisions.

D

Deleted member

He's not focusing on fan demand he pictures and thinks about what the fans want don't forget the interview about how much work he puts into super smash bros series
I'm sure Sakurai at least does extensive research on what fans want to see for this game. Not saying they're the be-all, end-all of factors but I think Sakurai does trying to be informed about what fans want. Considering how hard it is to add characters after development starts, I'd imagine that he has already stopped taken character requests to focus on developing the game.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Ridley has been requested for a long time now. I think Sakurai has considered his playability when he first assembled the initial roster for SSB4.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wake up to 32 alerts. I'm afraid to check them in case the whole world has gone against me in my sleep, but I suppose nothing has happened?

Well then, surely you do have a favorite already in Smash then?

I mean, thinking of Ridley as the most deserving new character is one thing (which I already disagree with) but if Ridley is honeslty THE ONLY character that is interessting to you from all notable Nintendo characters... I don't even know what to say. Heard you can pick up PS3s and XBox360s for real cheap right now though..
The rest of my favorite Nintendo crew is already in yeah, Brawl brought them all in except Ridley. Problem is that Ridley is just the most important one to me, and it'd nearly completely kill my hype for the game not having any newcomers to look forward to, since it'd just be Brawl with new gameplay and stages then. I don't want my hype to die this early, that's for sure. Rest assured that Ridley isn't the only Nintendo character I like, it's just that the rest of my favorites are already in.

Edit: double post bubble post, too tired for such things.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still can't shrug the feeling that maybe, just maybe he's hinting at Ridley being playable. The fact that he didn't directly say his name means he knows how to build suspense in my opinion. Otherwise, I firmly believe that he would have just said something in the same fashion as he did for Viridi.

In other words, no, I don't believe this quote really proves anything just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Ridley very soon, or at least know of his fate.

I hate to tell you, but if he is the stage hazard, then I guarantee you that he most likely will NOT be playable. I want him in a lot and there will be no convincing me of that. That's just silly. It's like the same thing in Brawl. 'Well he's a boss, but he could still be playable".

At the end of the day, I just think there is reasonable doubt to assume he's a stage hazard. It might make sense, but it isn't over until the fat Ridley sings!

...Did I just say 'Fat Ridley'?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I love how I made a really dumb joke and now everyone loves it.

If Ridley IS a stage hazard and he blasts through the wall, i'm just going to picture it like "Hey hey hey. It's FAAAAAAAT Ridley!"

Or kinda like the Kool Aid Man.

D

Deleted member

Still not believing that it's a hint that Ridley is a stage hazard. Not enough REASONABLE evidence. Until a direct statement or visual evidence that he is just a hazard is given, there is no reason to jump to any conclusion.
The DoA argument is also pretty bad. By the logic of "he was hazard for the stage there, he will be hazard here too", Samus should just make a controlled cameo appearance and Power Bomb the stage, which flips the camera position. But clearly, she ain't doing that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Still not believing that it's a hint that Ridley is a stage hazard. Not enough REASONABLE evidence. Until a direct statement or visual evidence that he is just a hazard is given, there is no reason to jump to any conclusion.
The DoA argument is also pretty bad. By the logic of "he was hazard for the stage there, he will be hazard here too", Samus should just make a controlled cameo appearance and Power Bomb the stage, which flips the camera position. But clearly, she ain't doing that.
I thought about bringing this up again when I suddenly remembered it, but beat me to the punch as usual.

Yeah, Ridley would be too powerful as a stage hazard without Samus being there to power bomb his arse at the end. :awesome:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have to agree with this. I just find it too suspicious to flat out say it's a stage hazard. I mean, are they even guaranteed to be a thing? Sure, Yellow Devil showed up, but that doesn't mean he's a stage hazard. He could be the Mega Man Assist Trophy.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I have to agree with this. I just find it too suspicious to flat out say it's a stage hazard. I mean, are they even guaranteed to be a thing? Sure, Yellow Devil showed up, but that doesn't mean he's a stage hazard. He could be the Mega Man Assist Trophy.

Let's not forget that Little Mac, Chrom, and Toon Link are already confirmed as hazards in their respective stages.

But I too hold said suspicions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Let's not forget that Little Mac, Chrom, and Toon Link are already confirmed as hazards in their respective stages.

But I too hold said suspicions.
I think the real question is, is has Sakurai made any reference to those three along with their stages as he has done with Ridley? Could it be because of his massive popularity that Sakurai is beating around the bush?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pretty much this.

I think all we can do now is wait and see. There aren't many reasonable things we can work well with to help either end seem likely, only time will tell.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, at this very moment I feel Ridley's chances are bigger than ever. The message was changed between the japanese and english one, in the japanese one Sakurai only referred to Samus' trauma, where as in the english one he was referring to Ridley. That isn't a translation error, those only happen when certain sentences are hard to translate in context, like the Ness-Lucas disaster on the Brawl dojo. It was intentionally translated into referring to Ridley for us english speaking people, I have no doubts about that, and that's obviously because Ridley is much more popular over here than in Japan. And look what has happened now, everybody in the western Smash Bros community is talking about Ridley now. Not only that, but it was timed extremely well with two western conventions where Nintendo will be at big force, one of them being PAX, one of the biggest western gaming conventions where Nintendo will also have press conferences. Top that off with that these are the last major conventions Nintendo will have this year, and it'd be a big missed opportunity to not have a Smash reveal there. Seriously guys, if this wasn't planned by Sakurai, then it's one hell of a coincidence. I mean, he's got everyone talking about Ridley, he's got all the supporters running in circles, he knows that his english message would do just that to us, no way he'd grasp our attention like this for no reason. Remember, Sakurai has many years experience hyping people up, he knows he's got us in his hands right now. Right now I'm absolutely certain that we'll see a character reveal at PAX, and I'm definitely leaning a lot over to Ridley being just that character.

However, if both of these conventions pass with no news of Ridley, or another newcomer is announced instead, then I feel Ridley's chances will plummet down, and our only hope would be that Sakurai would be stalling it for no good reason, that he was just referring to what happened in Other M with the image tag, and that no daily image will have anything to do with Ridley in the next long time.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm all for optimism, but I think everyone should be bracing themselves for that eventual nonchalant reveal of Ridley as a stage hazard. There is no precedent for Sakurai to hint at a newcomer so clearly. It is very strange, It is very unorthodox, and it bodes very poorly in Ridley's favor, and we should all accept that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm all for optimism, but I think everyone should be bracing themselves for that eventual nonchalant reveal of Ridley as a stage hazard. There is no precedent for Sakurai to hint at a newcomer so clearly. It is very strange, It is very unorthodox, and it bodes very poorly in Ridley's favor, and we should all accept that.
Oh I'm all ready for the possibility, it would have been stupid not learning from the Brawl fiasco. I'm just saying, as the situation looks right now, I see Ridley's chances as being very real. Yes, Sakurai hasn't hinted at a newcomer so clearly before, but Sakurai does things very very differently this time around, I don't think there's much arguing with that. Ridley has also been in every Smash game to date in different roles, Ridley is a special case. The only thing that can go against us is the "at any second" notion, which means that if these conventions pass without Ridley, we might as well begin speculating how Ridley will act on the stage, because then it's quite clearly that he referred to Ridley being able to pop up at any second on the stage.

Remember, Sakurai has never hinted so strongly at anything ever without outright confirming it, even if he's a stage hazard.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well, WarioFan1 does have a point there, it'd be unlikely poor Ridley would get demoted to a mere hazard after he got so close to a playable fighter. (nothing is closer to that than a boss or AT)

Regardless, we should all brace ourselves for the worst.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, WarioFan1 does have a point there, it'd be unlikely poor Ridley would get demoted to a mere hazard after he got so close to a playable fighter. (nothing is closer to that than a boss or AT)

Regardless, we should all brace ourselves for the worst.
It's not unlikely that he could be a stage hazard just because he's had bigger roles in the past, I don't think it's been intentional that he's gotten bigger and bigger roles to be fair. However, I still lean more over to Sakurai's teasing us big time, because Ridley was only referenced in the english message, the western fanbase is the fanbase that wants Ridley. If Ridley was a stage hazard, I don't believe Sakurai would deliberately tease us like this, he'd have used the same message that he wrote to the japanese Miiverse, and I don't see why he'd hint at a stage hazard rather than outright confirm it.

Yes, it's in my personality and nature to keep on being motivated until the end, but I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable at all.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
INB4 Next daily picture is Ridley attacking the stage and everyone reacts:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think it's just going to be like the Reset Bomb or Pilotwings stages. What's weird is that there was even a hint at all to show there was more than had been presented. He's shown the stage already, and later he'll surprise us with something that wasn't in the last picture, like Wuhu Island or the Reset Bomb having gone off. I imagine Ridley won't even be the focus. Probably something like Luigi using his silly dash attack to appear to be running away from Ridley, with Sakurai commenting "Look out Luigi!"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm just going to throw out an incredibly unlikely and hopelessly hopeful prediction.

Nintendo sucker punches everybody and announces a new Metroid game as well as reveals Ridley at Gamescon.
That'd be more than a dream come true.

However, I'm holding out for PAX next week for any kind of confirmation, it's in USA and it has a much bigger crowd than Gamescon. Right now I'm just hoping the daily images will have nothing to do with Ridley at all, since it wouldn't make sense to announce a character just like that when there's a big convention right around the corner that just calls for a character trailer, so logic says that if Ridley's in a daily image in the near future without having been confirmed as a character then he's most definitely a stage hazard.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
That'd be more than a dream come true.

However, I'm holding out for PAX next week for any kind of confirmation, it's in USA and it has a much bigger crowd than Gamescon.

I totally forgot about PAX! And then I just remembered that even though I only live three hours away from the festivities I have to fly back to school during PAX. Boooooooooo....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Has Nintendo revealed big things for PAX in the past?

D

Deleted member

@Oasis: "Heroes always arrive late." seems like it was an indirect hint at Sonic back in Brawl. I mean, he DID arrive late in both the game itself and in the SSE story.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Has Nintendo revealed big things for PAX in the past?
Nintendo only reveals "big things" at their events, the Tokyo Game Show, E3, their press conferences, Nintendo Power stuff, press releases, and Nintendo Directs.
@Oasis: "Heroes always arrive late." seems like it was an indirect hint at Sonic back in Brawl. I mean, he DID arrive late in both the game itself and in the SSE story.
When did Sakurai ever say "heroes arrive arrive late."=??? :confused:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nintendo only reveals "big things" at their events, the Tokyo Game Show, E3, their press conferences, Nintendo Power stuff, press releases, and Nintendo Directs.

When did Sakurai ever say "heroes arrive arrive late."=??? :confused:
So... no real chance of it happening?

And the "Go K.K. Rider" update.

Top Bottom