• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We have a gauntlet of 5 days left until there's no more Ridley-damning PoTDs. Are you guys ready for this? Are you prepared to face the burden of time?
Unless there isn't a hint of Ridley on the 3DS version and Sakurai continues his troll fest until the holidays. :trollface:

Regardless, I would like to remind everyone to keep personal insults/attacks out of the thread. Be mindful of what you post as it can lead towards infractions and warnings. Trying to rile and get a rise out of supporters constitutes as trolling as does trying to agitate the perpetrator.

Report any bad posts.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about something.

If sakurai were to come out and say Ridley was a boss, it'd sting a little bit but I'd be fine. If he were to say his reasoning behind his exclusion was because he didn't know of his mass popularity that's when I would call bull****. That's when I would get too salty to handle about characters like Wii Fit Trainer. You're telling me you dis confirmed Chrom when confusion arose, you drove the point home that Prince Sable was an assist, and you've made sure every other confirmation of a NPC status was crystal clear, only to disregard Ridley and his fanbase? Yeah right.

But I know that will never happen because Sakurai would never hurt me right? Right??
If anything, the way he teased him was an obvious allusion to the fanbase as they'd know instantly who he was talking about.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Calling it.
Ridley is the last newcomer revealed before release. He and Mewtwo are the two characters from a pre-existing franchise than has an All-Star feel to me.
And for those people worrying about his japanese popularity, don't. Metroid does have its fanbase there, and there are people hoping for a third Metroid rep(usually Ridley or DSamus, but the latter was confirmed as an assist,so...)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Calling it.
Ridley is the last newcomer revealed before release. He and Mewtwo are the two characters from a pre-existing franchise than has an All-Star feel to me.
And for those people worrying about his japanese popularity, don't. Metroid does have its fanbase there, and there are people hoping for a third Metroid rep(usually Ridley or DSamus, but the latter was confirmed as an assist,so...)
I unfortunately don't think we're getting more characters before release, if Sakurai wanted to reveal Mewtwo and Ridley before release, he would have done it earlier so he could smack their faces all-over the Japanese marketing. Me thinks the reason Mewtwo and Ridley are not being revealed before release is so when the 3DS release happens we'll have something to hype us until the Wii U's release.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Aww man come on guys, we all know Roidley was confirmed a boss during the direct.
It's Ridley who we should be supporting instead, since he still has a chance.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My stance on Ridley pretty much remains unchanged since the start - really don't care about whether or not he's playable (so I'm neutral), but unlike some other characters in a similar boat, I don't have any particular reason to see him as a shoe-in.

And I really hope people don't get on a cocky high horse if he is confirmed, or get overly salty if he isn't playable. Especially the latter. While people say "Sakurai is going too far if he teases Ridley so much, and doesn't make him playable", that's a really unfair assumption. Bosses are a hypeworthy thing in their own right, IMO. Ridley was a well received boss in Brawl, and people got hyped for Yellow Devil when Mega Man's trailer was shown, so teasing him as a boss and him being exactly that in the game is completely fine. So I think it will be the supporters' fault if they get angry over this, if they find Ridley isn't playable.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Calling it.
I highly doubt we will get any more characters this week. We already have the starting roster and, while it is possible that secret characters could be shown prior to the release, it is pretty unlikely. This week is just going to be dedicated to Sakurai talking the games up and revealing some additional nice surprises. If we see Ridley playable, its going to to be through Japanese release leaks.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Aww man come on guys, we all know Roidley was confirmed a boss during the direct.
It's Ridley who we should be supporting instead, since he still has a chance.
You're really good at :124:ing things for us. Keep up the good work.

My stance on Ridley pretty much remains unchanged since the start - really don't care about whether or not he's playable (so I'm neutral), but unlike some other characters in a similar boat, I don't have any particular reason to see him as a shoe-in.

And I really hope people don't get on a cocky high horse if he is confirmed, or get overly salty if he isn't playable. Especially the latter. While people say "Sakurai is going too far if he teases Ridley so much, and doesn't make him playable", that's a really unfair assumption. Bosses are a hypeworthy thing in their own right, IMO. Ridley was a well received boss in Brawl, and people got hyped for Yellow Devil when Mega Man's trailer was shown, so teasing him as a boss and him being exactly that in the game is completely fine. So I think it will be the supporters' fault if they get angry over this, if they find Ridley isn't playable.
it's not so much that a boss isn't hype worthy, it's that there is legitimate confusion in the fandom to his status. To which sakurai and Nintendo have answered with nothing unlike Prince Sable and Chrom. If he was truly confirmed as a boss back in April, the salt levels wouldn't be near as high they will be if he's confirmed NPC now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'd have to disgree for one tiny reason: Nintendo is teasing Ridley outside of smash aswell

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
As far as we know there are at least 3 newcomers (Chorus Kid, Bowser Jr., Duckhunt Dog) to be revealed and a lot of veterans too. Thats why I don't think Sakurai will tell us every character of the roster there is just not enough time in my opinion. We will maybe get 1-2 newcomers with some veterans but that is the highest amount of confirmations I can imagine. Therefore it is not just a possibility but a rather probable one that Ridley (if he is indeed a playable) won't get announced before the release of the game.
But thats just my opinion.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

See, thing is, people expected him to be a boss going in. I agree that people shouldn't let his exclusion get to them too much, but its pretty fail marketing to leave a heavily requested character's fate ambiguous, when we all took his inclusion with a grain of salt prior thus stirring up debate, to only be let down with the outcome which is universally agreed upon as being the much less interesting outcome, and I know Sakurai and Nintendo are aware of that. I won't be upset (my wallet will/was part of a bet), but I and many others will be scratching our heads for why Sakurai would want to hype up what is effectively a downgrade from Ridley's Brawl days, going from a two time boss to a stage boss. Not something to be upset about, but fail marketing on their part.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well the leak tha supposedly supported Ridley took 2 hits recently : Diddy still has the pink outfit so dixie (who was in said leak) took a minor hit, and second, it stated (and Vaanrose/Ninka aswell i think), that every character would have 8 alts...except that we now know Little Mac has SIX-MOTHERTRUCKING-TEEN costumes. SIXTEEN. Like come on... On the other hand...Little Mac was extremely popular in the west and now seems to get special treatment... Ridley confirmed.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

We would be angry because:
* We didn't get a clarification when every other NPC did.
* We waited more than a year to know what the heck he does.
* Judging by the other bosses' gameplay, he is going to suck.
* Being a stage hazard would cement the idea that Sakurai doesn't see Ridley as playable material and even gets a laugh out of its fans.
* Some may get the feeling that it was the developer's bias what stopped Ridley getting in.
* We'd need to deal with haters for another 6 years and then hope things change for the next game.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
See, thing is, people expected him to be a boss going in. I agree that people shouldn't let his exclusion get to them too much, but its pretty fail marketing to leave a heavily requested character's fate ambiguous, when we all took his inclusion with a grain of salt prior thus stirring up debate, to only be let down with the outcome which is universally agreed upon as being the much less interesting outcome, and I know Sakurai and Nintendo are aware of that. I won't be upset (my wallet will/was part of a bet), but I and many others will be scratching our heads for why Sakurai would want to hype up what is effectively a downgrade from Ridley's Brawl days, going from a two time boss to a stage boss. Not something to be upset about, but fail marketing on their part.
I wouldn't say Sakurai is teasing him being playable. He's never teased that. What he has teased is his boss status. So assuming that all of Sakurai's teasing will lead to playability may be a fault on your part. It's only failed marketing if you were assuming things they never said.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd have to disgree for one tiny reason: Nintendo is teasing Ridley outside of smash aswell
You mean that Twitter post by Bill Trinen?

That's just Bill being Bill, he's a known Twitter troll. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo devs at large, and this was done on his personal Twitter, not any official Nintendo Twitter.

Sakurai has only ever given a hint that Ridley might be a boss. He has not hinted that he will be playable. That is not to say that Ridley objectively isn't playable. Just that Sakurai has directly hinted towards nothing more than a boss. That could be all he is, or maybe Sakurai did that to throw us off a playable appearance. But if Ridley is indeed playable, we haven't seen any clear cut teases or hints towards it, unlike Rosalina or Palutena.

I and many others will be scratching our heads for why Sakurai would want to hype up what is effectively a downgrade from Ridley's Brawl days, going from a two time boss to a stage boss
I disagree. Considering how many people didn't like SSE and only played it once, if at all, Ridley's appearance as a stage boss would expose him much more, since you will see him in normal multiplayer matches. Yeah, he may not have fancy cutscenes, but his cutscenes in Brawl just portrayed him as a generic monster, albeit a cool one. If you told me he was intelligent after showing me his cutscenes in Brawl, I wouldn't believe you.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
Well the leak tha supposedly supported Ridley took 2 hits recently : Diddy still has the pink outfit so dixie (who was in said leak) took a minor hit, and second, it stated (and Vaanrose/Ninka aswell i think), that every character would have 8 alts...except that we now know Little Mac has SIX-MOTHERTRUCKING-TEEN costumes. SIXTEEN. Like come on... On the other hand...Little Mac was extremely popular in the west and now seems to get special treatment... Ridley confirmed.
I think the leaker meant AT LEAST 8 costumes/colors. Sakurai himself stated characters have at least 8 colors to choose from.
http://www.gamespresso.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/SmashBrosCostumes1.png

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
As far as we know there are at least 3 newcomers (Chorus Kid, Bowser Jr., Duckhunt Dog) to be revealed and a lot of veterans too. Thats why I don't think Sakurai will tell us every character of the roster there is just not enough time in my opinion. We will maybe get 1-2 newcomers with some veterans but that is the highest amount of confirmations I can imagine. Therefore it is not just a possibility but a rather probable one that Ridley (if he is indeed a playable) won't get announced before the release of the game.
But thats just my opinion.
I agree with what you say here, but off-topic, what puts the Chorus Kids with Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt in the "characters we know are in but Nintendo hasn't announced" category?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You mean that Twitter post by Bill Trinen?

That's just Bill being Bill, he's a known Twitter troll. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo devs at large, and this was done on his personal Twitter, not any official Nintendo Twitter.
I forgot that one! I meant this one!

Ridley-like wings? Yellow eyes like Ridley? Pyrosphere? Sure, it may not be a tease, but it was shown on the 1 year anniversary of Ridley's first tease, so if he isn't playable, Nintendo is mocking their own fanbase a bit, and considering Ridley is one of the most requested characters, that's not going to be left unnoticed

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also, Diddy having a Dixie-esque alt doesn't deconfirm her (even though I don't think she's guaranteed anyway). Mario still has his Wario alt (which is much more blatant), among other examples.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
I agree with what you say here, but off-topic, what puts the Chorus Kids with Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt in the "characters we know are in but Nintendo hasn't announced" category?
I don't know the name of the leak but they were in the leak of mother****ing leaker and this leak turned out to be probably true because it predicted shulk and had the right picture of him. Because I believe in that leak I put those 3 characters as newcomers in.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

Ridley-like wings? Yellow eyes like Ridley? Pyrosphere? Sure, it may not be a tease, but it was shown on the 1 year anniversary of Ridley's first tease, so if he isn't playable, Nintendo is mocking their own fanbase a bit, and considering Ridley is one of the most requested characters, that's not going to be left unnoticed
Thats strechy strechy...

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I disagree. Considering how many people didn't like SSE and only played it once, if at all, Ridley's appearance as a stage boss would expose him much more, since you will see him in normal multiplayer matches. Yeah, he may not have fancy cutscenes, but his cutscenes in Brawl just portrayed him as a generic monster, albeit a cool one. If you told me he was intelligent after showing me his cutscenes in Brawl, I wouldn't believe you.
And being a stage hazard wouldn't portray him like that? Look, I didn't say his representation in Brawl was amazing, only that his inclusion in as a Stage boss hazard would be a downgrade from that portrayal. Also, the point of Ridley is to look mindless. This is to juxtapose the reality that he is in fact quite intelligent.

Although the leakers are really mess up for leaking info that developers work for year, I kind of not sympathy with developers because the way they tease some characters (Ridley DUH!) is just treating fans' dreams like a garbage.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

...That isn't a tease of Ridley. It's just a cool picture of Meta Knight. You're really stretching it in this instance.

This isn't like with Rosalina's tease:

"Super Mario 3D World is out today in Japan! To commemorate the occasion I had these four...people(?) come together in a group shot."

Keeping in mind this PotD was made after Rosalina was revealed for 3D World.

And I'm sure I don't need to mention the cases of Palutena teasing as they were probably the most blatant examples.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418

The only problem I have with this is if you put yourself in the position of a person that doesn't know much about metroid this just looks like a cool pose of metaknight to you. I'm not saying the person who tweeted it doesn't know much about metroid but I think it was addressed to everyone who looks up the Nintendo of Europe twitter page and those people could be anyone from a casual player to a ridley supporting person like us.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
...That isn't a tease of Ridley. It's just a cool picture of Meta Knight. You're really stretching it in this instance.

"Super Mario 3D World is out today in Japan! To commemorate the occasion I had these four...people(?) come together in a group shot."

And I'm sure I don't need to mention the cases of Palutena teasing as they were probably the most blatant examples.
Nintendo barely shows pictures at all, that they use the Ridley-like character with the stage that has to do with Ridley on the exact day that Ridley was first teased isn't coincidental
The only problem I have with this is if you put yourself in the position of a person that doesn't know much about metroid this just looks like a cool pose of metaknight to you. I'm not saying the person who tweeted it doesn't know much about metroid but I think it was addressed to everyone who looks up the Nintendo of Europe twitter page and those people could be anyone from a casual player to a ridley supporting person like us.
It was straight from Nintendo, meaning they are fully aware of what it is

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
The only costume that begins to hurt chances is Fox's new wolf-esque costume. All other referential colors are carried over from brawl to meet the new 8 character color rule.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
This may be me, but the act of stealth grabbing someone, slamming her to a wall, and then grind her on said wall looks sadistic as hell and not something a brainless creature would do. Its a very good representation of the character IMO.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

I don't know, dude, the fact he's on Pyrosphere draws more connections. This may be stretching, but I'll take anything I can get. :p

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
The meta knight picture is teasing
He is on the Pyrosphere
saying "fight me"
with a smash ball in his blood stream
making his eyes like Ridley's
and he has Ridley wings.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And being a stage hazard wouldn't portray him like that? Look, I didn't say his representation in Brawl was amazing, only that his inclusion in as a Stage boss hazard would be a downgrade from that portrayal. Also, the point of Ridley is to look mindless. This is to juxtapose the reality that he is in fact quite intelligent.
And I argued your logic - you said it was a downgrade because he used to be two bosses, as if to say that meant he had more screen time. But being one stage boss in Smash 4 arguably gives him more. Heck, for all we know, the Wii U version could have a Boss Battles mode using stage bosses.

Nintendo barely shows pictures at all, that they use the Ridley-like character with the stage that has to do with Ridley on the exact day that Ridley was first teased isn't coincidental
Yes it is. Having purple and red dragon wings is an extremely common trait for dark characters. Heck, Ridley isn't even the first character that comes to my head personally, when I see those kinds of wings:

It should also be noted that the picture of Meta Knight in question is part of a larger set of general Meta Knight pictures.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

By your logic that wasn't a rosalina tease either.

He said four people(?) because he was questioning Toad's species, nothing more nothing less.

You also note how MK being on Pyrosphere means nada, but you seem to want to point out their presence on the Mario Galaxy stage.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion

Do you need more straws?

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
A big reason why Ridley (and to an extent, Mewtwo and Issac) is because of their status as "Nintendo Stars",imo.

For example, according to the leak, Bowser Jr. has been confirmed as a PC, and a lot of people are getting flustered about it. This is
because there are a fair number of characters who could match Jr in both popularity and diversity, and it's usually a good argument.(Paper Mario anyone?)

However, what will happen the 3 mentioned above gets promoted? I don't think we'll see any backslash at all. That's because they are at a status of "Nintendo Star", not only do a lot of people know them, they are important to their franchises(Issac has that Million-seller-not-playable-in-smash-yet stuff instead)and thus, will have nothing but praise at their inclusion.I mean, I'm not a big Metroid fan myself(Only played through the first half of Super Metroid and Prime, both great games though) but I am fair with those three in smash easily, because they're those nothing-but-hype characters.

Only problem is that this is alsoa good reason they may not be in, as they may be saved to promote Smash 5...Which I really hope is not the case.

P.S. Ridley would also be a nice inclusion as we don't have a monster character this time. And monster characters are always cool.

Seriously, the way developers try to avoid Ridley's fanbase is no different from the way Capcom teased Megaman in Marvel vs Capcom. How ironic that we laugh at capcom treat megaman is similar to the way developers tease Ridley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom