• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I just now realized the part about trophies thanks to the other poster, but that email is nothing to follow, honestly. I have been on the gta5 boards a long time and they try to do similar bait-play with rockstar, they get replies just like that one on the previous page. It's nothing more than employees trying to remain ambiguous.(If it's even real to begin with)
I'm unsure on the matter, but does the ESRB bother with characters that merely look scary? Normally I would assume it has to be something specific like if the character had visible blood, suggestive "features" or things like that. If he doesn't specifically do anything that other characters don't already then there shouldn't be too much of a need to focus on him.

I can't really think of anything Ridley could do that would affect ratings that isn't already covered by Bowser and Charizard.

Having said that there's also the fact that to my knowledge the one who took the photos isn't the one who leaked them. He instead gave them to other people in confidence who leaked them. If so there's a very strong possibility that Ridley was shown but wasn't photographed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This site needs a Ridley emoticon, regardless of whether or not he's playable:088:

Said emoticon is also my and the real Ridley's reaction to the earlier leak attempt, thus unnecessarily having more pages to catch up on than usual... Even with that happening though and possibly more again like it, I think we're still good as far as not reaching page 2000 too soon.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
A perfect specimen of the common internet troll. Watch as he posts in a thread without bothering to read the related arguments. Note how he claims irrationality on behalf of others, yet offers nothing except memes and joke images to support his own position.

While the internet troll is of course one of the most common entities one may find while exploring the vast expanses of online space, it is rare to see such an ideal example in the midst of our very own habitat.
Except I'm dead serious. I do, in fact, highly expect Smash 4 to come out and find that Ridley isn't a fighter. You seem to forget Ridley is a purely Western request. In a similar vein, Shantae is a Western character, of which the majority of her fanbase is going to be Westerners. No matter how badly I want her in, or how much you want Ridley in, it isn't happening unless the Eastern fanbase supports it too.

Oh, and I'm intentionally not reading whatever you guys are replying to me with - I started to read one and I could already tell it was going to be the same old song and dance, countering my argument by either calling me a troll, or just reusing points from the first two posts, which means you're unable to bring in any new arguments that I didn't just debunk. Until Sakurai says so, or Japan gets the game and we find out he's in, you'll never get me to believe Ridley is in.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Except I'm dead serious. I do, in fact, highly expect Smash 4 to come out and find that Ridley isn't a fighter. You seem to forget Ridley is a purely Western request. In a similar vein, Shantae is a Western character, of which the majority of her fanbase is going to be Westerners. No matter how badly I want her in, or how much you want Ridley in, it isn't happening unless the Eastern fanbase supports it too.

Oh, and I'm intentionally not reading whatever you guyd are replying to me with - I started to read one and I could already tell it was going to be the same old song and dance, countering my argument b
Shantae is third party, Little Mac was also strictly west fanbase, but unlike Ridley, Japan doesn't know anything about Little Mac! Sure, Ridley isn't popular in Japan, but he is still well known. I can confirm Ridley is pretty popular here in Europe too, as no one I know has any Metroid knowledge, but when I said Ridley might be playable, they knew I was talking about the boss from Brawl and said it would be pretty awesome

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Oh, and I'm intentionally not reading whatever you guyd are replying to me with - I started to read one and I could already tell it was going to be the same old song and dance, countering my argument b
Then we can intentionally not read whatever you are replying to us - we started to read one of them and could already tell its going to be the same old song and dance, trying to basicly tell us its not going to happen. If one side ignores other side, then that other side can stop that discussion and just ignore. Simple. So, you can leave if you won't listen to us because then there is no point in replying to you since you won't read it anyway, so, it is pointless. So, we can end this discussion now. It won't help us anyway since we have only 1 week left or even less.
By the way, Little Mac was purely Western request too.

Also, Samuel L Jackson in one of the movies said "Remember me?"...hm...

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
The clone corner is less of a last minute characters row than we thought. Think about it like this, Dr. Mario is Mario is a doctor's get-up, Dark Pit is a sentient version of Pit's inner darkness brought to life by Pandora's mirror, so essentially he's just Pit split off from Pit, then there's Lucina, Lucina in her respective game is a decendant of Marth who even paraded about as "Marth" for a little bit in the game's story, essentially she fights Marth to the point in which she could pretend to be him. This is what leads me to believe Toon link will be scooted down to meet up with Doc, Pitoo and Luci to fit Ridley's needs, just as every other game has moved set characters to fit unlockable characters needs.

"B-b-but Poopmin! What about Falco or Falcondorf? They're both clones, how come they don't have to move?"

To which I say, because Toon Link is just that, a cartoony variation of an already existing character, being Link. Falco and Ganondorf both share enough differences design-wise that they could never be confused with their counterpart.

"Lucina is different! That's why she playable in the first place!"

But has Ganondorf ever pretended to be Captain Falcon? Has Falco ever masqueraded as Fox?

The "Clone Corner" is specifically for characters who are a direct variation, design and moveset-wise of a character that already exists.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've seen Ridley requested as a newcomer by some Japanese people. So it's not 100% Western request.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's totally because of Roidley's muscles. I mean, has a more attractive purple space dragon ever been seen?
Look at dat nice body!

You know you like it!

I regret nothing...
And THIS is still better or even more important than debate with Trogdorbad since he won't listen us, as he already said, so, you will just waste your time. Such discussion is on-topic, but not when detractor is a troll, an idiot, just won't listen to us or combination of anything listed. That is why we don't visit GamesFAQ. Or at least most of us.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

Said emoticon is also my and the real Ridley's reaction to the earlier leak attempt, thus unnecessarily having more pages to catch up on than usual... Even with that happening though and possibly more again like it, I think we're still good as far as not reaching page 2000 too soon.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Oh, and I'm intentionally not reading whatever you guys are replying to me with - I started to read one and I could already tell it was going to be the same old song and dance, countering my argument by either calling me a troll, or just reusing points from the first two posts, which means you're unable to bring in any new arguments that I didn't just debunk. Until Sakurai says so, or Japan gets the game and we find out he's in, you'll never get me to believe Ridley is in.
People are coming up with new arguments, but detractors are the one with the same song and dance, therefore the older counterarguments are still as valid as they ever were. I'm pretty much agreeing with @Skyblade12 when I say your post screams troll unless you want to prove otherwise.

Oh, and I'm intentionally not reading whatever you guys are replying to me with
On the matter of Shantae, for those who don't know, She's a 3rd party character created by Wayforward (creators of Mighty switch force and the Duck Tales remastered). Yes she has got a pretty strong line up on Nintendo consoles, but she also has games on iOS, and the upcoming Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is multi-platform (I'm also a backer in the kickstarter). A obscure 3rd party character being compared to Ridley (who's one of the most iconic Nintendo villains) is going to come across as trollish to some people, saying that they're both requested the most is the West in redundant, you could also say that about Master Chief.

And Waluigi is proof that getting into Smash isn't just a popularity contest (with the possible exception for 3rd party characters, as Sakurai said he won't just add anyone), Ridley is a deserving character in his own right popularity side, again he is one of the more iconic villains from Nintendo and Metroid is in much need of a new rep, Zero suit Samus is still Samus

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
xD Yeah, the emote being based on that particular expression/part from the manga was something I had made years ago.

And guys, I would suggest just putting Trogdorbad on your ignore list.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

I have a serious question for you: Why do you come on a RIDLEY THREAD and rag on people for SPECULATING about him being playable? You have a right to be called a troll if you're gonna do that kind of stuff.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I know leak talk is banned unless it has a direct affect with Ridley's chances, but wasn't there a leak with Ridley that said Olimar's costumes would be half him, half Alph? because well...

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i was noton for 12 h and what did i see on ssb4dojo. what is it with the ridley leak????

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I know leak talk is banned unless it has a direct affect with Ridley's chances, but wasn't there a leak with Ridley that said Olimar's costumes would be half him, half Alph? because well...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those were two separate leaks. The two leaks were posted so close together though so there's a chance Ridley could be in (I sure hope he is).

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Seriously, saying that your precious 3rd party is more likely than one of the main villains and one of the most iconic of Nintendo's characters. Trogdorbad can drown in splounge water for all I care. There is good trolling, bad trolling and then there is acting like an idiot

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
And guys, I would suggest just putting Trogdorbad on your ignore list.
Way ahead of ya there, buddy.

As for that leak about half of Olimars alts, I'm pretty sure that was the same as the one that mentioned Ridley. Unless what I saw was a reposting of the two "leaks" combined.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Way ahead of ya there, buddy.

As for that leak about half of Olimars alts, I'm pretty sure that was the same as the one that mentioned Ridley. Unless what I saw was a reposting of the two "leaks" combined.
It was two leaks combined. Ninka (The leaker that mentioned Olimar's alts) has gone on record and said that he did not mention Ridley.

Back on subject though, I still say the allstar mode PoTD was a hint at Ridley, it's a bit far fetched but that PoTD just gave me that feel of Sakurai saying "I still have more surprises for you".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It was two leaks combined. Ninka (The leaker that mentioned Olimar's alts) has gone on record and said that he did not mention Ridley.

Back on subject though, I still say the allstar mode PoTD was a hint at Ridley, it's a bit far fetched but that PoTD just gave me that feel of Sakurai saying "I still have more surprises for you".
That is pretty much what makes the leak non significant for all characters who weren't on it. And the promotional AKB48 thing may be hinting at 48 characters in total, and seeing as how the leak has 43 and everyone speculates that there are at least 5 characters left, we are going to have fun for our last week!

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
That is pretty much what makes the leak non significant for all characters who weren't on it. And the promotional AKB48 thing may be hinting at 48 characters in total, and seeing as how the leak has 43 and everyone speculates that there are at least 5 characters left, we are going to have fun for our last week!
The leaked roster actually does have 48 characters in the roster.

It's probably insignificant anyway though.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The leak had 48 characters, Mii Fighter would've been in/appeared after the customise bit is selected.
The 5 other characters would bring the total count on the screen to 53 (54 with Mii Fighter if it replaces Random).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The leak had 48 characters, Mii Fighter would've been in/appeared after the customise bit is selected.
The 5 other characters would bring the total count on the screen to 53 (54 with Mii Fighter if it replaces Random).
The leaked roster actually does have 48 characters in the roster.

It's probably insignificant anyway though.
I am an idiot yet again! I hope Ridley doesn't think maths are important when you want to be a space pirate

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I am an idiot yet again! I hope Ridley doesn't think maths are important when you want to be a space pirate
Depends on if you're hoping to do navigation and computery stuff or not. Pretty sure you don't need Maths if you're part of a raid party killing 3 year old kid's parents and looting stuff.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Seriously, if Ridley is playable, he can still fit:

The roster would need a heavy amount of re-organising for certain characters, but it's do-able. I'm not sure why characters HAVE to be on the same row as their franchise counterparts, when in Melee you had Ganondorf on the top row next to Captain Falcon (since Ganondorf is Captain Falcon's clone). However he still linked to the Zelda franchise by being directly above Young Link on the roster, thus creating an L shape on its back.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
We have a gauntlet of 5 days left until there's no more Ridley-damning PoTDs. Are you guys ready for this? Are you prepared to face the burden of time?

Of course, should you survive that, there's still the matter of the Japanese release date leaking everyone and Ridley still not surviving. Kind like a dragon, about to escape a brutal conflict and reach the sky, only to have its neck pierced by an arrow the last second.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Seriously, if Ridley is playable, he can still fit:

The roster would need a heavy amount of re-organising for certain characters, but it's do-able. I'm not sure why characters HAVE to be on the same row as their franchise counterparts, when in Melee you had Ganondorf on the top row next to Captain Falcon (since Ganondorf is Captain Falcon's clone). However he still linked to the Zelda franchise by being directly above Young Link on the roster, thus creating an L shape on its back.
Ridley would fit better in the roster with a brawl-style layout, which I bet we'll have for when all the characters are unlocked.
Case and point: 4th column, 3rd row
3DS Roster.png

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I was thinking about something.

If sakurai were to come out and say Ridley was a boss, it'd sting a little bit but I'd be fine. If he were to say his reasoning behind his exclusion was because he didn't know of his mass popularity that's when I would call bull****. That's when I would get too salty to handle about characters like Wii Fit Trainer. You're telling me you dis confirmed Chrom when confusion arose, you drove the point home that Prince Sable was an assist, and you've made sure every other confirmation of a NPC status was crystal clear, only to disregard Ridley and his fanbase? Yeah right.

But I know that will never happen because Sakurai would never hurt me right? Right??

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well guys, I just want to say that seeing the Ridley Support Thread really changed my views on Ridley. I believe that within this week, we will have our answer, and regardless the outcome, it's going to be BIG . I enjoyed seeing what everyone brought to the table, making me laugh, seeing how much you want this character so genuinely and having jokes about him. I hope that for your sakes he's in. After Little Mac and Shulk, I have no other newcomers left that I want to see in Smash Bros. Coming here, it was Ridley that would be my next wanted newcomer. (In relation to Shulk, I love Sakurai's comment,
He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen.
It really shows how far he's taking this series, adding such innovative characters and making these new games more unique than ever before.) And now, Strider Bond, taking a nap.:tired:

Top Bottom