• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Okay, Miiverse.exe has stopped responding with all these 'Joses' everywhere. I'm kind of glad that I escaped to here. The Miiverse Smash Community is just... What.

And it seems like Ridley's still stuck in a void of being both deconfirmed and confirmed at the same time. We've only got less than six days to go until we reach the Japanese release date.
Schroedinger's Ridley confirmed? :eek:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wait, Ridley was mentioned? :080:
Not really. "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any seconds" OR "This is where Samus had her trauma" (seconds quote is just what i remember - i don't know what it actually was, but it is pretty close to that). "Ridley" didn't appeared from any official sources since either Other M or Nintendo Land.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm scared guys. Deconfirmations left and right.
- Wolf
- Dixie

Lucas probably has an palette swap/color for Ness and Ice Climbers...sigh

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Not really. "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any seconds" OR "This is where Samus had her trauma" (seconds quote is just what i remember - i don't know what it actually was, but it is pretty close to that). "Ridley" didn't appeared from any official sources since either Other M or Nintendo Land.
Oh, right, that sarcasm thing... what's the etiquette here? Do I use tags, or blue text? :ohwell:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
- Wolf
- Dixie

You mean Ness has a palette swap for Lucas. Because Ness is in according to the leak.

Also, this does not influence Ridley's chances at all, calm down.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
You mean Ness has a palette swap for Lucas. Because Ness is in according to the leak.

Also, this does not influence Ridley's chances at all, calm down.
yeah...just tired.

I mean, there's been nothing on Chorus Men or Metwo either.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Calling it now, Ridley for wii u exclusive character.
Sure it breaks the shared roster info, but this wouldn't be the first time Sakurai has out-right lied to us.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
The account name and lack of posts should have been more than enough to prove it wasn't a legit pic. Never mind if they did decide to dump the remaining images... why was only Ridley shown? Why only post on the Ridley thread? Seemed a little too convenient

Was it this bad with fake screens back in the build up to Brawl?

Last edited:

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
- Wolf
- Dixie

How are they deconfirmed?
If you think they are deconfirmed because of alt you just have to think about other characters.
-Wario has (probably) a Mario alt.
-Kirby has this naked Metaknight alt.
-Mario has a Wario alt.
-Mario has also an alt with a green shirt like Luigi.

Therefore I don't think this deconfirms anything.
As long as Sakurai/Nintendo don't clearly state that Wolf/Dixie are cut I don't believe it.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
How are they deconfirmed?
If you think they are deconfirmed because of alt you just have to think about other characters.
-Wario has (probably) a Mario alt.
-Kirby has this naked Metaknight alt.
-Mario has a Wario alt.
-Mario has also an alt with a green shirt like Luigi.

Therefore I don't think this deconfirms anything.
As long as Sakurai/Nintendo don't clearly state that Wolf/Dixie are cut I don't believe it.
On one hand, it indeed doesn't really deconfirm them. In Fox's case though, he didn't have that palette swap until now.

Calling it now, Ridley for wii u exclusive character.
Sure it breaks the shared roster info, but this wouldn't be the first time Sakurai has out-right lied to us.
I am pretty sure Nintendo doesn't do these kind of things. Or Sakurai. What is this lying you mentioned?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about the whole roster layout thing. People seem to think that Ridley can't fit on there, and the roster for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS can't be re-organised. Here's why I think that's wrong, how Ridley can fit, and how a roster can be re-organised, using the previous games as examples:

Super Smash Bros.'s Starter roster screen (layout). Nothing wrong with this (I know this is a different mode, but you get the point).

Super Smash Bros.'s Starter roster screen (layout).

Super Smash Bros.'s Final roster screen. The unlockable characters have been placed on the outside of the main roster, simple right? Well with the layout...

Super Smash Bros.'s Final roster screen (layout). Jigglypuff is next to Pikachu, Luigi is next to Mario. Basically characters from the same franchise are together, even in the original game. 8 default, 4 unlockables.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Starter roster screen (layout). Pikachu is in between Super Mario representatives Mario and Bowser.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Starter roster screen (layout).

See with the above layout, a Pokémon rep is cutting in between two Mario reps. At the bottom row, we have boxes with the ? in them to represent unlockable characters.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Final roster screen. Pikachu has been moved from the top row (with Luigi taking his place) to the bottom row (replacing a ? box), and the roster has been reorganised by franchise horizontally. All clones are dotted around the edges, but they are together with their respective franchises.

Whilst Ganondorf, a Captain Falcon clone, is next to the Captain Falcon and is therefore on a different row from the Legend of Zelda series representatives, he is still linked to the respective series by being directly above Young Link, creating an L shape (on its back). 14 default, 11 unlockables.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Starter roster screen.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Starter roster screen (layout).

Notice how all over the place this is? Diddy Kong is away from Donkey Kong, Zelda/Sheik are away from Link, Meta Knight and King Dedede are away from Kirby, Pokémon Trainer is away from Pikachu, Peach and Bowser are away from Mario, and Wario is at the bottom row. Characters from the same franchises are cut off from each other. However, with the full roster:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Final roster screen. Notice how more organised it is? Rather than being organised in a horizontal manner like with previous games, the characters are organised vertically:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Final roster screen (layout). First column: Super Mario, second column: linked to Super Mario universe, third column: Legend of Zelda, fourth column: 1985-1986, fifth column: Kirby, sixth column: futuristic/space (linked also by James McCloud racer, based on Fox's father, in F-Zero and an F-zero themed ending in Star Fox Command), seventh column: Pokémon, eighth column: JRPGs, and nineth column: miscellaneous and third party. 21 default, 15 unlockables.

My point is that throughout the Super Smash Bros. series, the rosters have had characters organised in a messy way for the starting rosters. Whether it be a different character cutting in between characters of a same franchise (SSBM), or characters placed all over the place away from each other (SSBB). However, eventually all of the characters are rearranged with a cleaner and more organised layout, characters of the same franchise and their clones together. Let's look at Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' roster screen:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' Starter roster screen (layout). Everything seems organised in the correct order, though Yoshi cuts in between Mario representatives. It's not anything to worry about, given that Yoshi does appear in major Super Mario games, so it's forgiveable. But when it comes to the leaked roster screen...

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' leaked roster screen.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' leaked roster screen (layout). Yoshi is still in between Mario reps, and Mr Game & Watch is on the end next to Wario. The only connection I can see for Game& Watch and Wario is that WiiU had that Game & Wario game on WiiU, and Wario was originally just a Mario character, and that series had Mario themed Game & Watch games. If this is the final roster, it is by far the most ugliest and least organised one. Not just because it's missing the big 3 (Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool), but also the fact that the clone characters are so far away from their franchises (which hasn't happened before), and the overall layout of where the bottom two rows are placed are just awful. Sure it's possible that Sakurai's wife (who I think does the layout) may have gone for a different thing where clones are placed away from their franchises, but this seems rather unlike her to make the roster look so ugly. Shulk should be placed right next to Lucina (yes he's not a clone, but the roster looks better straight and aligned), and the bottom row should just have third party characters. That's why I think this leaked roster looks incomplete, it just looks messy.

Here is the possible layout that I think the roster could look like if there are indeed five more characters:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' proposed roster screen (layout). Doctor Mario is placed next to Mario, Yoshi is moved to be placed after Bowser Jr., King K. Rool/Dixie Kong placed after Diddy Kong, Ridley placed after Zero Suit Samus, Dark Pit placed after Palutena. Now things get a bit tricky, Lucina is placed underneath Robin, creating an L shape, because she can't fit on the same row. Remember, Ganondorf wasn't on the same row as the Legend of Zelda franchise in Melee, so it's possible to do the same here for Fire Emblem. The rest is in the same order, but Pokémon is hit the worst. What I've done here is placed the default Pokémon characters in a block, and the unlockable Pokémon characters are placed on the ends. Mewtwo and Lucario are on the left, given that Lucario is sort-of-but-not-quite-a-full-clone to Mewtwo, and then Greninja and Jigglypuff on the right hand side. Yes it looks weird that the Pokémon are not on the same row, but if they were placed in a row, they'd have to be moved to the 5th row, which would mess up the order. It's likely that Sakurai has adopted a slightly different layout, but overall, Ridley could and should fit. 37 default (counting Mii Fighter), 16 unlockables, seems reasonable right?.

Edit: fixed errors on proposed roster image.
tl;dr Ridley could and should still fit on the roster if there are indeed more characters left for the roster and if he is indeed playable. Characters get rearranged to their respective franchises for the final roster screens in previous SSB games, so it's very odd that Sakurai's wife would adopt a different layout scheme, when the rosters have previously been neat, tidy and more organised.

Last edited:

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
GUYS! THE ORIGINAL METROID WASN'T THE LAST GAME RIDLEY WAS SMALL!

Considering that the morphball is tiny and that Samus can be regular sized, this argument holds worth! "Oh, but it's non-canon!" When was Smash ever 100% canon?
Argument 1
The morph ball is about half the height of Samus. And ridley here looks more than 4 times the balls size, so ridley would still be at least 2 X Samus' s height.
Argument 2
It's all on a pinball table, so ridley is only a few inches tall at best
So ridley is either too big or too small for smash:troll:

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
"All characters have 8 colours"

Except littlemac.

He also showed disinterest in alt costumes during early development then completely changed his mind about a year ago.
Ye little mac has 16 but I think sakurai said/meant (I don't remember the exact quote) that every character has at least 8 different colors/alts.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Can we look at this for a moment and realize that it has ONE spot left(assuming we have no more 3rd party characters to join at the bottom row). And it's no doubt the mii icon. I hate to say this but chances of any more characters are looking pretty bleak right about now.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
Can we look at this for a moment and realize that it has ONE spot left(assuming we have no more 3rd party characters to join at the bottom row). And it's no doubt the mii icon. I hate to say this but chances of any more characters are looking pretty bleak right about now.
But shulk is in the bottom row and he is not third party as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm not sure the Miis get an icon, however there is still no spot for Ridley, sadly.
The characters that could fit are a Star Fox one, a Pokémon, and three characters either from their own franchise or clones (or third reps but it's probably ded now).
We'll know in a week anyway though, no need to bring it again. It's probably the final roster, but hope is still allowed.

But shulk is in the bottom row and he is not third party as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
He is not. But Sakurai said that Shulk was not the kind of character you'd meet in a Smash game normally... Well he is a special case.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I thought it was clear by now that this isn't the full roster. All star lock, remember?

I've been thinking about the whole roster layout thing. People seem to think that Ridley can't fit on there, and the roster for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS can't be re-organised. Here's why I think that's wrong, how Ridley can fit, and how a roster can be re-organised, using the previous games as examples:

Super Smash Bros.'s Starter roster screen (layout). Nothing wrong with this (I know this is a different mode, but you get the point).

Super Smash Bros.'s Starter roster screen (layout).

Super Smash Bros.'s Final roster screen. The unlockable characters have been placed on the outside of the main roster, simple right? Well with the layout...

Super Smash Bros.'s Final roster screen (layout). Jigglypuff is next to Pikachu, Luigi is next to Mario. Basically characters from the same franchise are together, even in the original game. 8 default, 4 unlockables.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Starter roster screen (layout). Pikachu is in between Super Mario representatives Mario and Bowser.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Starter roster screen (layout).

See with the above layout, a Pokémon rep is cutting in between two Mario reps. At the bottom row, we have boxes with the ? in them to represent unlockable characters.

Super Smash Bros. Melee's Final roster screen. Pikachu has been moved from the top row (with Luigi taking his place) to the bottom row (replacing a ? box), and the roster has been reorganised by franchise horizontally. All clones are dotted around the edges, but they are together with their respective franchises.

Whilst Ganondorf, a Captain Falcon clone, is next to the Captain Falcon and is therefore on a different row from the Legend of Zelda series representatives, he is still linked to the respective series by being directly above Toon Link, creating an L shape (on its back). 14 default, 11 unlockables.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Starter roster screen.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Starter roster screen (layout).

Notice how all over the place this is? Diddy Kong is away from Donkey Kong, Zelda/Sheik are away from Link, Meta Knight and King Dedede are away from Kirby, Pokémon Trainer is away from Pikachu, Peach and Bowser are away from Mario, and Wario is at the bottom row. Characters from the same franchises are cut off from each other. However, with the full roster:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Final roster screen. Notice how more organised it is? Rather than being organised in a horizontal manner like with previous games, the characters are organised vertically:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Final roster screen (layout). First column: Super Mario, second column: linked to Super Mario universe, third column: Legend of Zelda, fourth column: 1985-1986, fifth column: Kirby, sixth column: futuristic/space (linked also by James McCloud racer, based on Fox's father, in F-Zero and an F-zero themed ending in Star Fox Command), seventh column: Pokémon, eighth column: JRPGs, and nineth column: miscellaneous and third party. 21 default, 15 unlockables.

My point is that throughout the Super Smash Bros. series, the rosters have had characters organised in a messy way for the starting rosters. Whether it be a different character cutting in between characters of a same franchise (SSBM), or characters placed all over the place away from each other (SSBB). However, eventually all of the characters are rearranged with a cleaner and more organised layout, characters of the same franchise and their clones together. Let's look at Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' roster screen:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' Starter roster screen (layout). Everything seems organised in the correct order, though Yoshi cuts in between Mario representatives. It's not anything to worry about, given that Yoshi does appear in major Super Mario games, so it's forgiveable. But when it comes to the leaked roster screen...

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' leaked roster screen.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' leaked roster screen (layout). Yoshi is still in between Mario reps, and Mr Game & Watch is on the end next to Wario. The only connection I can see for Game& Watch and Wario is that WiiU had that Game & Wario game on WiiU, and Wario was originally just a Mario character, and that series had Mario themed Game & Watch games. If this is the final roster, it is by far the most ugliest and least organised one. Not just because it's missing the big 3 (Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool), but also the fact that the clone characters are so far away from their franchises (which hasn't happened before), and the overall layout of where the bottom two rows are placed are just awful. Sure it's possible that Sakurai's wife (who I think does the layout) may have gone for a different thing where clones are placed away from their franchises, but this seems rather unlike her to make the roster look so ugly. Shulk should be placed right next to Lucina (yes he's not a clone, but the roster looks better straight and aligned), and the bottom row should just have third party characters. That's why I think this leaked roster looks incomplete, it just looks messy.

Here is the possible layout that I think the roster could look like if there are indeed five more characters:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS' proposed roster screen (layout). Doctor Mario is placed next to Mario, Yoshi is moved to be placed after Bowser Jr., King K. Rool/Dixie Kong placed after Diddy Kong, Ridley placed after Zero Suit Samus, Dark Pit placed after Palutena. Now things get a bit tricky, Lucina is placed underneath Robin, creating an L shape, because she can't fit on the same row. Remember, Ganondorf wasn't on the same row as the Legend of Zelda franchise in Melee, so it's possible to do the same here for Fire Emblem. The rest is in the same order, but Pokémon is hit the worst. What I've done here is placed the default Pokémon characters in a block, and the unlockable Pokémon characters are placed on the ends. Mewtwo and Lucario are on the left, given that Lucario is sort-of-but-not-quite-a-full-clone to Mewtwo, and then Greninja and Jigglypuff on the right hand side. Yes it looks weird that the Pokémon are not on the same row, but if they were placed in a row, they'd have to be moved to the 5th row, which would mess up the order. It's likely that Sakurai has adopted a slightly different layout, but overall, Ridley could and should fit. 37 default (counting Mii Fighter), 15 unlockables, seems reasonable right?.
tl;dr Ridley could and should still fit on the roster if there are indeed more characters left for the roster and if he is indeed playable. Characters get rearranged to their respective franchises for the final roster screens in previous SSB games, so it's very odd that Sakurai's wife would adopt a different layout scheme, when the rosters have previously been neat, tidy and more organised.
Also, this. Rosters can always be rearranged and in no way means certain characters can't be in. It means the roster needs to change, not the character.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I thought it was clear by now that this isn't the full roster. All star lock, remember?

Also, this.
The all star lock was a previous image not taken while duckhunt dog was unlocked, the posting times were far apart. Days even.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Argument 1
The morph ball is about half the height of Samus. And ridley here looks more than 4 times the balls size, so ridley would still be at least 2 X Samus' s height.
Argument 2
It's all on a pinball table, so ridley is only a few inches tall at best
So ridley is either too big or too small for smash:troll:
Actually, the morph ball is about a third of Samus' height, long live Game Theory I guess. And Samus can go on the blue glowy thing and shoot enemies in the game, she isn't that tall then, this is our new perfect argument! Not just the fact Sakurai debunked the size argument
The all star lock was a previous image not taking while duckhunt dog was unlocked, the posting times were far apart. Days even.
Uh, when was this stated? Every time I saw the leak, the all star leak was leaked later

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Actually, the morph ball is about a third of Samus' height, long live Game Theory I guess. And Samus can go on the blue glowy thing and shoot enemies in the game, she isn't that tall then, this is our new perfect argument! Not just the fact Sakurai debunked the size argument

Uh, when was this stated? Every time I saw the leak, the all star leak was leaked later
The allstar lock picture was part of a much earlier leak which featured some horny guy taking pics of all the female trophies. He didn't have all characters unlocked since his images were lacking duckhunt and another i'm forgetting.

Then when this seemingly full roster leak dropped on us, not one image in the series showed allstar mode.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I honestly don't read any good reason yet, maybe only that he looks not very "smash" but rest of reasons sound vague to me for disconfirming it yet
So this dude created the fake leak? And he was even one of us. The snitch lol. Look how he pretended to buy the leak btw rofl.

So @Neo Zero did this dude got any punishment whatsoever? Topicban? Infraction? At least the first would be in place.

Rattlehead2Deth

Smash Rookie
Not even taking the all star padlock into account, is it really the assumption that the only unlockable characters are Lucina, veterans, clones, DHD, and Bowser Jr? All the hype new characters unlocked by default, and all we have to look forward to are DHD and Bowser Jr... I just can't believe that. With a massive 37 character starting roster, there just has to be more to unlock than those! Why can't entire franchises move up or down a row? Why can't there be a 10th column? They can do anything they want with the roster movement. What seems more unlikely to me than it being complete is that we have 'new clone corner' and this third party row at the bottom, while arbitrarily including Shulk in there.

Also, I'd still very much like to be added to the support list please! :3 I'd trade away like...20 characters for Ridley. Not sure who off the top of my head, but I'd literally trade 20 just for him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The allstar lock picture was part of a much earlier leak which featured some horny guy taking pics of all the female trophies. He didn't have all characters unlocked since his images were lacking duckhunt and another i'm forgetting.

Then when this seemingly full roster leak dropped on us, not one image in the series showed allstar mode.
That "horny guy"s job was to show all questionable content in the game. It was a video that was send to the ESRB to give the game an age rating, so of course they had to check everyone's booty.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice

Just telling you, this is wrong. It all comes from one source, an insider from NoA took videos leaked to ESRB and put them on the internet. That's why there are "suggestive" images of the female trophies, as that is what ESRB would need to see.

It is unclear when the All Star picture was taken, but there is no confirmation whether it was taken before or after the roster image. Stop spreading mis-information.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

Or y'know, it was a video to the ESRB, showing off all things that would possibly affect the game's rating. And before you say "no Ridley", read the email a couple pages back.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
You mean the bottom right "?"? That's the Random Button.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Just telling you, this is wrong. It all comes from one source, an insider from NoA took videos leaked to ESRB and put them on the internet. That's why there are "suggestive" images of the female trophies, as that is what ESRB would need to see.

It is unclear when the All Star picture was taken, but there is no confirmation whether it was taken before or after the roster image. Stop spreading mis-information.
That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought about, regarding the trophies.
Looks like we'll just have to survive this week then, whatever news it brings. But it still seems odd that the ESBR wouldn't have access to a rather dark themed character like Ridley. I think I'm steered away from his inclusion at this point. My hopes for him rest in DLC that comes to 3ds once the Wii U version launches.

Or y'know, it was a video to the ESRB, showing off all things that would possibly affect the game's rating. And before you say "no Ridley", read the email a couple pages back.
I just now realized the part about trophies thanks to the other poster, but that email is nothing to follow, honestly. I have been on the gta5 boards a long time and they try to do similar bait-play with rockstar, they get replies just like that one on the previous page. It's nothing more than employees trying to remain ambiguous.(If it's even real to begin with)

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought about, regarding the trophies.
Looks like we'll just have to survive this week then, whatever news it brings. But it still seems odd that the ESBR wouldn't have access to a rather dark themed character like Ridley. I think I'm steered away from his inclusion at this point. My hopes for him rest in DLC that comes to 3ds once the Wii U version launches.

I just now realized the part about trophies thanks to the other poster, but that email is nothing to follow, honestly. I have been on the gta5 boards a long time and they try to do similar bait-play with rockstar, they get replies just like that one on the previous page. It's nothing more than employees trying to remain ambiguous.(If it's even real to begin with)
If a character didn't introduce another level of violence, added some level of darker theme, was a creature of occult or demonic nature it's probably not really necessary for the ESRBs requirements. As a monster Ridley is pretty standard fare and without his Metroid backstory making him scarier he's no different from Bowser or Charizard in regards to big scary monster only less cartoony looking.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

Yeah, my page didn't update until after I wrote my post, sorry for repeating info.

And to the email thing, I had no idea about that. Time to rethink my views on the email.

Top Bottom