• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Then why use Meta Knight? Out of every character, why Meta Knight? And why Pyrosphere? I rarely strawgrasp, I myself am still skeptical on the 'Ridley in Greninja trailer' stuff.
I personally Don't think you are straw grasping, That is a Clear Tease, Given The day it was Shown, Character it was using, and Stage it was on. The only thing that at all makes it a little graspy is the fact Nintendo of Europe posted it, then again. Sakurai himself could have asked foot them to put that up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was more comparing shadow reveals, but yeah, a year.
How about that Ridley was shown in gameplay with proof he is small, and Metal Face was only in a CGI cutscene and is freaking ginormous in the source material
Ridley in the Greninja trailer? Was this a thing? All I remember is the Pac-Man cloud owo
Top right looks like NES Ridley before Greninja Hydro Pumps off. And Schalternate thinks the branch resembles Ridley's head

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
How about that Ridley was shown in gameplay with proof he is small, and Metal Face was only in a CGI cutscene and is freaking ginormous in the source material

Top right looks like NES Ridley before Greninja Hydro Pumps off. And Schalternate thinks the branch resembles Ridley's head

Really? Oh this is interesting, I'm gonna go give that a little looksee now.

EDIT: Welp, I can kind of see both, if only just a little

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Who the heck would keep track of the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal outside of this thread? I doubt Nintendo's European PR team was. This means nothing.

Meta Knight's wings and eyes are inherently coloured as they are. This picture isn't some special instance.

And while that last point is true, it doesn't mean anything considering there are so many pictures of Pyrosphere. The picture in question was part of a press kit, so people actually would have had it before the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal anyway.

I'm not hypocritical in citing the Rosalina instance, that's an extremely blatant tease.

No, it's on Zelda's page on the official site.
I'll give you the first point, no one outside the thread really cares what day Pyrosphere was annouced

We don't think Meta Knight's wings resembles Ridley due to colour, we think so due to their bony, thin structure. If we saw an alt for Pit or Charizard with purple wings, it wouldn't remind me of Ridley because Pit's wings are feathered and Charizard's wings are just much bulkier than Ridley's. Ya, while black scleras with glowing yellow pupils aren't the most original design choice ever, you can tell by the way the image is centered the eyes are somewhat of a focal point in the image, they want you to notice his eyes.

There are a lot of different pictures of Mario Galaxy, Sakurai chooses his POTDs in advance, he choose that photo because it was Super Mario 3D World's release date, not because Rosalina was announced to be playable in that game before hand.

and no, that was not a blatant tease for Rosalina, that was a straw grasp. Show that picture to anyone who wasn't supporting Rosalina at the time and they wouldn't think it's a Rosalina tease. I know when I saw that POTD I didn't think it was a Rosalina tease, likewise, most people would classify the Meta Knight pic as a straw grasp. Straw Grasping isn't bad, but you shouldn't be hypocritical about it.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Yellow Devil, clarified to death
Metal face, only a week old as opposed to five months old
Sakurai doesn't like false hype, he said that himself.
Okay, but the thing is, now you are using arbitrary measures to justify Sakurai doing something he apparently doesn't do. The point is, Sakurai is too unreliable in what he says and does.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, but the thing is, now you are using arbitrary measures to justify Sakurai doing something he apparently doesn't do. The point is, Sakurai is too unreliable in what he says and does.
Uh, Sakurai is actually doing that! Making it clear if a certain character isn't playable, not shoving lies down our throats, so how is this invalid?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I forgot that one! I meant this one!

Ridley-like wings? Yellow eyes like Ridley? Pyrosphere? Sure, it may not be a tease, but it was shown on the 1 year anniversary of Ridley's first tease, so if he isn't playable, Nintendo is mocking their own fanbase a bit, and considering Ridley is one of the most requested characters, that's not going to be left unnoticed
They did it with Mother 3 so I wouldn't put it past them.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Uh, Sakurai is actually doing that! Making it clear if a certain character isn't playable, not shoving lies down our throats, so how is this invalid?
Because he is inconsistent. Ridley is still up-in-the-air (well, some people think so). Yellow Devil was ambiguous for a while. Dark Pit isn't officially acknowledged. Metalface showed up. Dark Emperor was unknown for a while. He showed Miis who later turned out to be playable. Remember R.O.B.?

In that mix you have stage bosses, stage hazards, and a probable playable character. It's all over the place. You can start throwing out arbitrary measures like 'well it's only two weeks versus a month or two months but THAT character's two months are different' or whatever but the overall point is that he isn't necessarily consistent.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Then why use Meta Knight? Out of every character, why Meta Knight? And why Pyrosphere? I rarely strawgrasp, I myself am still skeptical on the 'Ridley in Greninja trailer' stuff.
It was when Meta-Knight was first confirmed. So of course he's going to have a bunch of pictures made with him in it. They could have chosen the Metroid stage solely because it looked dramatic for Meta-Knight's final Smash. Even if it wasn't on the official site.

I try my best to remain reasonable to both sides on Ridley's status. I see no reason not to. But this seems like a really far fetched connection to me personally.

Especially when Ridley being hinted at before was fairly obvious, boss, character or otherwise.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because he is inconsistent. Ridley is still up-in-the-air (well, some people think so). Yellow Devil was ambiguous for a while. Dark Pit isn't officially acknowledged. Metalface showed up. Dark Emperor was unknown for a while. He showed Miis who later turned out to be playable. Remember R.O.B.?

In that mix you have stage bosses, stage hazards, and a probable playable character. It's all over the place. You can start throwing out arbitrary measures like 'well it's only two weeks versus a month or two months but THAT character's two months are different' or whatever but the overall point is that he isn't necessarily consistent.
Metal Face hasn't been acknowledged, and Sakurai might think it's unneccesary to say he is a boss when the stage is on both versions 2 weeks before release, Yellow Devil was 4 Mega Men tall, And Dark Pit is a clone according to the leak, and seeing as he might end up being last minute like Lucina and that he was in Palutena's artwork, I think that might be the case. Dark Emperor was pretty damn obvious, as we saw his model being twice as tall as WFT though, and the ROB argument helps Ridley.
It was when Meta-Knight was first confirmed. So of course he's going to have a bunch of pictures made with him in it. They could have chosen the Metroid stage solely because it looked dramatic for Meta-Knight's final Smash. Even if it wasn't on the official site.

I try my best to remain reasonable to both sides on Ridley's status. I see no reason not to. But this seems like a really far fetched connection to me personally.

Especially when Ridley being hinted at before was fairly obvious, boss, character or otherwise.
Showing a small shadow isn't entirely obvious, and Nintendo pretty much never shows smash stuff on twitter, so the one time they do, they do a lot of stuff that is Ridley related

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
That was the one exception, and seeing how everything they talked about was revealed, such as Star Fox and Mario Ballet Maker, I think they are up to something
Personally I thought it would come along with Lucas similar to Takamaru but nope that retched Leak had to put me in worry that I will be loosing Lucas which is 10x worse, now suppose those 5 characters are Lucas, Wolf, Rildey, Isaac and Mewtwo I think I might have a Hype overload.:gova::yeahboi:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Personally I thought it would come along with Lucas similar to Takamaru but nope that retched Leak had to put me in worry that I will be loosing Lucas which is 10x worse, now suppose those 5 characters are Lucas, Wolf, Rildey, Isaac and Mewtwo I think I might have a Hype overload.:gova::yeahboi:
Wolf is in more danger than Lucas, as we saw Fox getting a new alt that resembles Wolf, and as Nintendo released PulseMan on VC, I think they are working on a Mother 3 thing

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I know leak talk is banned unless it has a direct affect with Ridley's chances, but wasn't there a leak with Ridley that said Olimar's costumes would be half him, half Alph? because well...
Erhm, you already know this, but those two leaks (the one containing Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men) and the Ninka leak were both created separately. And if you looked at things objectively, the former leak's credibility has taken a blow because Diddy has a palette swap that resembles Dixie's colors.

It's bad enough that Metroid fans have trouble trying to get their most ideal newcomer(s) into the roster, I'd hate it if it turned out DK fans were also in the same boat.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Erhm, you already know this, but those two leaks (the one containing Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men) and the Ninka leak were both created separately. And if you looked at things objectively, the former leak's credibility has taken a blow because Diddy has a palette swap that resembles Dixie's colors.

It's bad enough that Metroid fans have trouble trying to get their most ideal newcomer(s) into the roster, I'd hate it if it turned out DK fans were also in the same boat.
Yeah, DK fans might actually be in a worse state than Metroid, they get 2 characters that aren't the same, but no Ats, no new confirmed stages, nada

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Yeah. But they managed to get a few things right. And let's be honest, that Diddy color doesn't look exactly like Dixie, so it could still work. Again, it could be a Mario with Wario colors situation. So I'm still interested.

But with most leaks, we should be cautious. Even if it has character we like, including Ridley.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Diddy had that alt color in Brawl, it was simply carried over. Also, alt colors have no relation to character inclusions, as that means Mario deconfirms Luigi, and Wario, or Pit deconfirming Dark Pit. Dixie's chances are no more or less than they were before.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It could be a lot worse for both Metroid and DK fans though. Star Fox has gotten nothing new other than the 4th Great Fox stage (which we haven't seen since it's reveal) and most likely lost Wolf to a colour change. Meanwhile Kid Icarus gets a truck load of Smash run content, assist trophies and not one but 2 newcomers (one of which is a clone and the other looking very op) as well as 2 stages (one for each version).

I'd say Metroid's done all right for SSB4 as ZSS has been buffed, gotten a new stage, a fair few assist trophies and some Smash run enemies. Playable Ridley would be the cherry on the top for Metroid.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace

Also Alph can be his own character alt with name but Daisy is still a color for Peach? And I thought Waluigi fans had it bad...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It could be a lot worse for both Metroid and DK fans though. Star Fox has gotten nothing new other than the 4th Great Fox stage (which we haven't seen since it's reveal) and most likely lost Wolf to a colour change. Meanwhile Kid Icarus gets a truck load of Smash run content, assist trophies and not one but 2 newcomers (one of which is a clone and the other looking very op) as well as 2 stages (one for each version).

I'd say Metroid's done all right for SSB4 as ZSS has been buffed, gotten a new stage, a fair few assist trophies and some Smash run enemies. Playable Ridley would be the cherry on the top for Metroid.
But what do Metroid fans want? 2 things: Non Lava stages and non-Samus characters like Ridley, Rundas, Sylux, maaaaaaaaaybe Kraid and Anthony. Those are the only possibilities

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Yeah, here we are contemplating no newcomers for Metroid and DK, meanwhile Starfox fans have it the worst. No new stages, no expectations of a new character (RIP Krystal), no really unique inclusions and the possibility of one of your characters being removed. Star Fox is really getting the shaft this Smash Bros.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ridley confirmed?...

Already proven fake eons ago. Either way, welcome to the brigade, rookie! Here's your egg.

I'm sure this has been posted here before, but what was the reaction to this

Also proven false. those are just scenery elements/special effects. You get no egg.

Not really, Schalternate is using the branch, others use the rocks
YOU CASUALS GO PLAY WITH YOUR STUPID ROCKS, I HAVE A BRANCH!!

But what do Metroid fans want? 2 things: Non Lava stages and non-Samus characters like Ridley, Rundas, Sylux, maaaaaaaaaybe Kraid and Anthony. Those are the only possibilities
You mean non-rising-hazardous-liquid stages that don't ****ing spin.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We had Frigate Orpheon as our non-lava stage in Brawl and I thought Brinstar had acid. That makes Pyrosphere the second stage with a lava theme.

Can't fault the characters but 3 of them are only one time characters at the moment and don't have a great deal of history with the series.

Yeah, here we are contemplating no newcomers for Metroid and DK, meanwhile Starfox fans have it the worst. No new stages, no expectations of a new character (RIP Krystal), no really unique inclusions and the possibility of one of your characters being removed. Star Fox is really getting the shaft this Smash Bros.
At least they're getting a game next year.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
They got a new stage on the wii u version.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We had Frigate Orpheon as our non-lava stage in Brawl and I thought Brinstar had acid. That makes Pyrosphere the second stage with a lava theme.

Can't fault the characters but 3 of them are only one time characters at the moment and don't have a great deal of history with the series.

At least they're getting a game next year.
Brinstar was confirmed to have lava in some Super Metroid guide

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
More of the reasons why this game is going to end up being like PSABR, one big AD that caters to the more relevant franchises. I know Nintendo needs money but I didn't think they would go this low. Lets hope this isn't the case.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
DK fans have it worse by far. Even the new stage they got in Brawl was pathetic, I'd say Metroid is doing much better than them. Ridley would be a great bonus tho

Also Sakurai's favouritism shows a lot Lol even with Sonic

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
Guys.. Only one week left.
In the next days we are going to see ridley in ssb4.

And yes, this thread will explode then. :samus2:

Top Bottom