• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Guys...I've been a Ridley supporter since Melee. It's with much disdain I come to you with the realization I feel. In the eyes of Sakurai, Ridley just isn't playable material. Maybe it really is the size. Who knows. But Ridley, along with the rest of the hype 3, is not a playable character. And he likely never will be as long as Sakurai directs the games. The CSS is real, and final. The writing is on the wall. We lost, my friends. Again. GG, Too bigots. Hopefully someday, something will change. And we'll finally be able to play as the one whose playable appearance is most deserving: Ridley.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Guys...I've been a Ridley supporter since Melee. It's with much disdain I come to you with the realization I feel. In the eyes of Sakurai, Ridley just isn't playable material. Maybe it really is the size. Who knows. But Ridley, along with the rest of the hype 3, is not a playable character. And he likely never will be as long as Sakurai directs the games. The CSS is real, and final. The writing is on the wall. We lost, my friends. Again. GG, Too bigots. Hopefully someday, something will change. And we'll finally be able to play as the one whose playable appearance is most deserving: Ridley.
...You make no sense. :facepalm: First off, its been proven in the leak that it isn't the full roster. Second, unless Sakurai comes out to say he's too big, or he couldn't give him a playable moveset, then we should never head to that conclusion. Sakurai has proven multiple times he can create movesets on the fly for those like R.O.B. and Capt. Falcon. As for the other two, it's still a blurry mystery, but I wouldn't act so pessimistic about it.

Seriously, if you're giving up that easily...then what kind of supporter are you?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, a lot of people on this thread (including me) knows that Sakurai hasn't stated Ridley (or any of the other Big 3) to be deconfirmed, like he's done with so many other characters added to this Smash Bros. So please, I advise you keep believing until Sakurai stated "X character is not playable" from his mouth and his mouth, alone. If you still can't keep the faith, oh well, hope you'll get it back soon. 'Cuz us Space Pirates on this thread are the most stubborn and straw-grasping of them all, and we're never quitting 'till the fat lady (Sakurai) sings.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
This is why I hate leaks, they do nothing but turn people's critical thinking off. The gematsu leak was pretty much a tick list for some people and if a character wasn't on the list it wasn't getting in, but the Fire Emblem trailer not only deconfirmed Chrom as playable, it introduced 2 characters that weren't on, Robin and Lucina.

I'll admit the video is pretty much legit but the roster isn't complete, as shown by the All-star mode not being fully unlocked and the black spacing in the CCS that looks off. If you have no faith that Ridley will be in then fine, but don't drag us all down with you, I'm not giving up till the end and again don't use the leak as a check list, you should have learn't from people's tunnel vision with the gematsu leak.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
What's convinced me is the shift right rule. Even if the CSS isn't final (I believe it is), the characters all shift right when somebody is unlocked. Ridley would cause the entire roster be screwed up if everybody shifted right.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Very few games are on the same badness-level as Sonic '06. I mean, that game had shoddy writing, terrible graphics, loading times that were not only long, but also absurdly numerous and very oddly placed, and is buggy beyond belief. And there is yet more.
Metroid Other M isn't bad. Sure, it isn't that good either, but I smell a lot of expectations and bias thrown around. And like @ CrypticSpark CrypticSpark mentioned, this is the only time in the games where Ridley actually gets a bit of character, displays him as more than just a mindless beast.
I feel like it's kind of like StarFox Adventures. SF: A wasn't originally a StarFox title, but was made one anyway. Because the gameplay was pretty much not really what people were expecting for a StarFox game, well, guess what they thought.
Wait....why does everyone think that Other M gives Ridley some kind of character? just because as a demented furby he stares at Samus and cries out loud to somehow control the minds of other creatures or something? The honey thing? or whatever else he also did?

For heavens sake....the fact that he COMMANDS the space pirates without having cry out loud is a proof that he's not mindless, and I mean, he had faked death in many other ocassions WAY BEFORE Other M. He's persistant as hell. And if someone says that he should talk to proof his intelligence, that's just wrong. His actions are THE PROOF. And he also has his mistakes, but he doesn't care, that is why he comes back for more, but he also knows when to retreat.

If Roidley was so intelligent as the Original Ridley, why the hell he went to the freaking room where the Metroid Queen was (Probably he didn't know, but why that room?) he could have gone to other of many other places inside the freaking ship and ATE SOMETHING if that's how his healing process gets to work.

009.gif

"..."

EDIT: Sorry about that ranting...I need to get a glass of water....

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Remember, if any detractors stop by, carry and handle your disputes in a Conversation, that way the Thread does not suffer over exposure.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I just want you all to know that the most crucial evidence for Ridley's inclusion in Smash 4 is Pyrosphere. Sakurai has yet to show an extended amount of gameplay for that stage. It is the big glaring mystery in Ridley's inclusion.
There is nothing concrete. Trust me, its not over yet.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I'm wondering. Could DLC save us? What's to say that Ridley won't be a DLC character? Even if he's a boss, I feel like a playable DLC version could work.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Wait....why does everyone think that Other M gives Ridley some kind of character? just because as a demented furby he stares at Samus and cries out loud to somehow control the minds of other creatures or something? The honey thing? or whatever else he also did?

For heavens sake....the fact that he COMMANDS the space pirates without having cry out loud is a proof that he's not mindless, and I mean, he had faked death in many other ocassions WAY BEFORE Other M. He's persistant as hell. And if someone says that he should talk to proof his intelligence, that's just wrong. His actions are THE PROOF. And he also has his mistakes, but he doesn't care, that is why he comes back for more, but he also knows when to retreat.

If Roidley was so intelligent as the Original Ridley, why the hell he went to the freaking room where the Metroid Queen was (Probably he didn't know, but why that room?) he could have gone to other of many other places inside the freaking ship and ATE SOMETHING if that's how his healing process gets to work.

View attachment 24009
"..."

Sorry about that...I need to get a glass of water....
They're thinking about a 3D Metroid game but grasping the wrong example. Corruption is the one that best shows his intelligence, Other M is more a love letter to his namesake's famous movies.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
What's convinced me is the shift right rule. Even if the CSS isn't final (I believe it is), the characters all shift right when somebody is unlocked. Ridley would cause the entire roster be screwed up if everybody shifted right.
Bowser Jr, nuff said...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Guys, come on. If you were a game director and wanted to wow its fans and create hype, what would you do? Mislead people into thinking Ridley will be a stage boss, but instead surprise them with a playable Ridley!

You wouldn't be so foolish to have people think Ridley is playable, and not clarify that for a year, and then show he's only a stage boss.

Cmon guys, Metroid is getting a newcomer. Arena Ferox = Robin and Lucina! Gaur Plains = Shulk! Skyloft = Impa! Pyrosphere = RIDLEY!!!

Remember the days of the Gematsu Leak, when people cowered in fear, despite Arena Ferox meaning with 100% certainty that Chrom was NOT going to be in, and that it would be LUCINA (and Robin!). Remember when people thought the Tiki trophy teased at Chrom, when it clearly teased at Lucina and Robin!

History is repeating itself. The Metroid trophy + Ridley music is hinting at RIDLEY. Pyrosphere is hinting at RIDLEY. FOLLOW THE PATTERN PEOPLE! KRAID WILL BE PLAYABLE!

Oops, i mean, RIDLEY WILL BE PLAYABLE!

Stay strong!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
And you really think that's a problem for Sakurai? I keep hearing, time and time again; "Oh Sakurai won't change how All-Star works, its been the same since forever!" Yet it's been changed. "Sakurai doesn't listen to the western audience!" Yet that's changed as well. And so many other things that used to be a staple to how Smash Bros works has (and most likely always) changed in every version of Smash. Classic Mode changed, Story Mode is gone, and a lot of other things has changed from before. And people still think the roster will still work the same from previous versions of Smash? We still don't know how this game will work, cuz it isn't out yet. There's nothing saying that the roster will look like it does in the leak, let alone how much shifting will happen when the roster is finalized. Again I ask, please wait until Sakurai clarify things more, as there isn't enough to go by from images alone.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
They're thinking about a 3D Metroid game but grasping the wrong example. Corruption is the one that best shows his intelligence, Other M is more a love letter to his namesake's famous movies.
Yeah...I know Corruption is the best example, specially when he attacked Samus when she was on a vulnerable state, he followed her to the Generator shaft (even if he the wrong move and fell into that bottomless pit....), and I really doubt that he died in his Omega form, the explosion never showed him blowing up into pieces like Mogenar or Helios...he could have easily hide in one of the Leviathan's hole thingies....

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm wondering. Could DLC save us? What's to say that Ridley won't be a DLC character? Even if he's a boss, I feel like a playable DLC version could work.
Wait, DLC Ridley? You think we're getting two Ridleys? The one in-game now, and then a DLC one later? I think most of the supporters here would agree that that's unlikely.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Am I missing something?

Also, as far as a meta ridley alt...shouldn't we be hoping for meta ridley as a boss so normal ridley can be playable?
You talk about how Ridley would shift the roster. Remember, we don't know the structure Sakurai is going for. Its entirely possible he just goes for a complete CSS, with no missing spots.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Am I missing something?

Also, as far as a meta ridley alt...shouldn't we be hoping for meta Ridley as a boss so normal ridley can be playable?
Well I fully believe Pyrosphere has no boss, or any form of Ridley is not the boss of that stage. the shadow comparisons this thread has made prove Ridleys shadow is only Bowser or Rosalinas size.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Guys, come on. If you were a game director and wanted to wow its fans and create hype, what would you do? Mislead people into thinking Ridley will be a stage boss, but instead surprise them with a playable Ridley!

You wouldn't be so foolish to have people think Ridley is playable, and not clarify that for a year, and then show he's only a stage boss.

Cmon guys, Metroid is getting a newcomer. Arena Ferox = Robin and Lucina! Gaur Plains = Shulk! Skyloft = Impa! Pyrosphere = RIDLEY!!!

Remember the days of the Gematsu Leak, when people cowered in fear, despite Arena Ferox meaning with 100% certainty that Chrom was NOT going to be in, and that it would be LUCINA (and Robin!). Remember when people thought the Tiki trophy teased at Chrom, when it clearly teased at Lucina and Robin!

History is repeating itself. The Metroid trophy + Ridley music is hinting at RIDLEY. Pyrosphere is hinting at RIDLEY. FOLLOW THE PATTERN PEOPLE! KRAID WILL BE PLAYABLE!

Stay strong!
If Kraid was playable and Ridley was a boss...I think we'd all spontaneously combust.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
@Krayon Kaphonie mentioned an idea in another post that I think might be true. The Wii U version could feature some sort of special boss battle mode that allows one player, most likely the player with the gamepad, to play as the boss. So in a way, Ridley would be playable. But this is just an idea, one that I think could be true. I know it's not what you guys were hoping tor, but it's still something, right? It could explain why Sakurai was so vague about Ridley and, as some of you have pointed out, Ridley's movements seem to be user controlled. How would you guys feel about that?

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Yeah...I know Corruption is the best example, specially when he attacked Samus when she was on a vulnerable state, he followed her to the Generator shaft (even if he the wrong move and fell into that bottomless pit....), and I really doubt that he died in his Omega form, the explosion never showed him blowing up into pieces like Mogenar or Helios...he could have easily hide in one of the Leviathan's hole thingies....
Yeah. You're not the problem here, I just felt it needed pointing out for the next person who thinks Other M is an example of Ridley's diabolical intellect in action. NOPE, it's Corruption, guys! :seuss:

Zango

Smash Apprentice
@Krayon Kaphonie mentioned an idea in another post that I think might be true. The Wii U version could feature some sort of special boss battle mode that allows one player, most likely the player with the gamepad, to play as the boss. So in a way, Ridley would be playable. But this is just an idea, one that I think could be true. I know it's not what you guys were hoping tor, but it's still something, right? It could explain why Sakurai was so vague about Ridley and, as some of you have pointed out, Ridley's movements seem to be user controlled. How would you guys feel about that?
That... seems depressingly likely.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Eight colors? Alrighty.

Default:

Red:

Green:

Some mix of these colors

Blue:

White:

Grey:

Black:
Yellow:

hot coffee

Smash Cadet
I hope not. That would explain why we haven't been shown any bosses other than the yellow devil though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Also, as far as a meta ridley alt...shouldn't we be hoping for meta ridley as a boss so normal ridley can be playable?
Highly unlikely, but not unwelcomed. The problem with that is how Sakurai used Ridley in Brawl. He gave Ridley two Boss Fight Positions in both of Ridley's forms from the Prime series. This use of Ridley tells us that Sakurai focuses on the Ridley from the Metroid Prime games, as there is no sign that he acknowledges the X Ridley's existence.

It is theorized that if we get Ridley, it would be the Other M one considering Sakurai used the Other M Varia Suit Model for Samus.

Although it is a pipe dream to think that Ridley has a doppelganger to save him in case anything goes array, it is an unlikely situation to take place.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Sakurai said the roster would be the same for both titles though. I think that means boss or not. That's just my view though.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
If that's the case i rather him not be playable at all.

Sakurai said the roster would be the same for both titles though. I think that means boss or not. That's just my view though.
Also This

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios

Stay strong!
Once Ridley is in, can we start asking for Kraid in Smash 5 or DLC?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Wasn't it debunked that there will be no Gamepad gimmicks other than the Amiibo figures?

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Eight colors? Alrighty.

Default:

Red:

Green:

Some mix of these colors

Blue:

White:

Grey:

Black:
Yellow:
As badass as it would be for these alternate models to take precedence in Ridley's Alternate Colors options, would these different models of Ridley take too much time for the developers to make and program?

Unfortunate as it may sound, I think the programmers for SSB4 will only stick to one Ridley model, besides the Alternate Costume one if Ridley gets one, and save programming time by slapping recolored skins over the Ridley that we do get.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I don't see why that would apply to bosses. He's already hinted that Ridley is a boss in the Wii U version and Pyrosphere is not in the 3DS version. Plus, that special boss battle mode would not really work for the 3DS version.
Wasn't it debunked that there will be no Gamepad gimmicks other than the Amiibo figures?
I don't know. You tell me. :ohwell:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
As badass as it would be for these alternate colors to take precedence in Ridley's Alternate Colors options, would these different models of Ridley take too much time for the developers to make and program?

Unfortunate as it may sound, I think the programmers for SSB4 will only stick one Ridley model, besides the Alternate Costume one if Ridley gets one, and save programming time by slapping recolored skins over the Ridley that we do get.
One model, but those could be the color scheme chosen.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I don't see why that would apply to bosses. He's already hinted that Ridley is a boss in the Wii U version and Pyrosphere is not in the 3DS version. Plus, that special boss battle mode would not really work for the 3DS version.
I suppose, but no such mode exist as of yet.

Top Bottom