• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
We only jumped 8 pages from last time I was here. We're slowing down. Good!

As for the design Ridley should incorporate, regardless of his role?
  • Personal Bias: Zero Mission Ridley
  • If they wanted to strive for Iconicness: Super Metroid Ridley
  • Most Likely will go with: Other M Ridley (with probably a Hybrid of Super Metroid Ridley)
It is because anxiety and curiosity is getting to supporters. The pressure is too much for some and others have already exhausted their energy supporting Ridley.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thank ya! Yeah, I have the full version. It's just a recoloring of Brawly I did a while ago.

View attachment 24022

I wanted to make a recolored version of the Brawl model to match the Smash4 artstyle. Just so it didn't clash with the other characters in my signature.
The "Hybridley" I'm making leans more towards the Super Metroid shade of purple.
^u^ Thank you so much! And yup, I noticed it. he looks really good with those colors! -u-

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Why don't you recolor Melee Ridley to match the current colors and potential alt schemes? That's the best Ridley so far in Smash.
Because I'm too lazy to get go take a good snapshot of Ridley's Melee trophy and crop it. :awesome:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
We only jumped 8 pages from last time I was here. We're slowing down. Good!

As for the design Ridley should incorporate, regardless of his role?
  • Personal Bias: Zero Mission Ridley
  • If they wanted to strive for Iconicness: Super Metroid Ridley
  • Most Likely will go with: Other M Ridley (with probably a Hybrid of Super Metroid Ridley)
I really like ZM Ridley as well. That version and Omega Ridley are hands down the best versions of Ridley in my opinion.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Hard to believe I'll be playing Sm4sh next Friday. Feels like a dream. That'll be double true if Ridley makes it.

We are so close guys. LETS GOOO

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sorry if this has been asked already, but according to these pictures:

What 8 Palette colors can we see Ridley using in the game?
Wait...didn't that leak with DHD, Shulk with 5 sword modes, Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie (or K.Rool?) said that there will be 8 palettes for every character? If it did...then...i still won't trust it...
Guys...I've been a Ridley supporter since Melee. It's with much disdain I come to you with the realization I feel. In the eyes of Sakurai, Ridley just isn't playable material. Maybe it really is the size. Who knows. But Ridley, along with the rest of the hype 3, is not a playable character. And he likely never will be as long as Sakurai directs the games. The CSS is real, and final. The writing is on the wall. We lost, my friends. Again. GG, Too bigots. Hopefully someday, something will change. And we'll finally be able to play as the one whose playable appearance is most deserving: Ridley.
Um, dude, that CSS wasn't final - All-Star mode was still not fully unlocked. You remind me of Gematsu idiots that were using it to deconfirm every character not listed on it (which also means that
What's convinced me is the shift right rule. Even if the CSS isn't final (I believe it is), the characters all shift right when somebody is unlocked. Ridley would cause the entire roster be screwed up if everybody shifted right.
As if it never happened before.
Wait....why does everyone think that Other M gives Ridley some kind of character? just because as a demented furby he stares at Samus and cries out loud to somehow control the minds of other creatures or something? The honey thing? or whatever else he also did?

For heavens sake....the fact that he COMMANDS the space pirates without having cry out loud is a proof that he's not mindless, and I mean, he had faked death in many other ocassions WAY BEFORE Other M. He's persistant as hell. And if someone says that he should talk to proof his intelligence, that's just wrong. His actions are THE PROOF. And he also has his mistakes, but he doesn't care, that is why he comes back for more, but he also knows when to retreat.

If Roidley was so intelligent as the Original Ridley, why the hell he went to the freaking room where the Metroid Queen was (Probably he didn't know, but why that room?) he could have gone to other of many other places inside the freaking ship and ATE SOMETHING if that's how his healing process gets to work.

View attachment 24009
"..."

EDIT: Sorry about that ranting...I need to get a glass of water....
No, not because of that. I already said few times why:
  1. He lured scientists into his cage by..."playing dead" or whatever its called. Those scientists fed him and cared for him before that, so, it is illogical to kill free source of food since he will have to find food by himself then and it is not that easy on a ship full of bioweapons.
  2. He used Samus as a way to get food without seeing her killing stuff to make it easier to get food to grow up and then try to kill Samus once again. She was less dangerous than half of the stuff on that ship at that time, but she had skills. He couldn't knew that without knowing her. You may not count that point if you want.
  3. He used other creatures as a distraction for the squad while he attacked Samus in such way that would limit her mobility. If he would attack the biggest/most dangerous/whatever treat, then he would attack Anthony instead, who looks a lot bulkier than Samus. You would never say that tiger looks less dangerous than a cassowary (australian bird-raptor thing that can kill you in 1 kick with its long sharp claw, kinda like everything else from australia), right?
  4. He destroyed the bridge on GPP so no one would escape.
  5. He attacked Samus while she couldn't see him clearly before she destroyed...that thing.

It can be countered easily - it wasn't really shown that he commands them. He is rarely shown doing anything other than fighting Samus. Space Pirates resurrecting him can be counted as them just needing more competent members and they resurrected Kraid in Super Metroid too. In Other M, he is better shown as an intelligent being, but it wasn't needed for those who can understand that Ridley is not a mindless beast by looking at his actions in previous games.

It is pretty simple to explain:
  1. It was large, so, he could easily rest here after battle with Samus.
  2. He didn't know what was contained here.
  3. He was unable to even fight back properly, so, he most likely was too tired. Even if he would ate something, that regeneration may not be that fast.
Ridley's personality in Other M was shown in a better way than Samus'. I like him more, so, i don't complain that much, but i agree that it is bulls**t and could have been better. Even if it would not exist yet again.

I'm wondering. Could DLC save us? What's to say that Ridley won't be a DLC character? Even if he's a boss, I feel like a playable DLC version could work.
No since he already has his role in this game and if it is a boss, then we won't have any playable Ridley. It would confuse players and it is also a very cheap way of getting more money, like releasing Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom, but if it would have higher price than original game.
They're thinking about a 3D Metroid game but grasping the wrong example. Corruption is the one that best shows his intelligence, Other M is more a love letter to his namesake's famous movies.
In Corruption, it is shown only by him attacking Samus while she is in morph ball mode and can't fight back since she is in a tunnel and by him forcing Samus to fight him while falling to death so he would either die with her or he would kill her and then stop by using his claws and wings, then climbing up. Other M did it better.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Hard to believe I'll be playing Sm4sh next Friday. Feels like a dream. That'll be double true if Ridley makes it.

It would be so hilarious if Ridley is confirmed at the same time we reach 2000 pages on this thread. :joyful:

Beanybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
atombeany
3DS FC
2019-9824-4588
Daaaaang I was gonna post a drawing of Ridley...but mine looks silly compared to everyone else's. :laugh:

Oh well. Back to the drawing board! Haha.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Because I'm too lazy to get go take a good snapshot of Ridley's Melee trophy and crop it. :awesome:
Do you want it? I readily have it available, because of various projects.

This is just a raw rip, so I can polish it up for you if you want.

You're lucky. I don't have a Japanese 3ds, so I'll have to wait another month. Bring good news of Ridley when you get to play it. :)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Turns out i got yesterday's date mixed, it's TOMORROW'S pic of the day that deconfirms Ridley.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wait...didn't that leak with DHD, Shulk with 5 sword modes, Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie (or K.Rool?) said that there will be 8 palettes for every character? If it did...then...i still won't trust it...
Nope, those leaks were separate. That leak said DHD, Shulk, bowser jr, 8 alt costumes/colors for every character, koopalings are bowser jr's alts, bowser jr is in a clown car, 4 of olimar's alts are alph, shulk has 5 modes, dark pit and doc are playable, and wolf/IC/snake/lucas ar ecut

so basically it's been 90% confirmed by sakurai at this point, and we have gameplay of most of the stuff that hasn't been xD.

The Ridley/dixie/chorus/mewtwo was part of a different 4chan leak that just listed the characters

DHD
Jr
Shulk
Ridley
Dixie
Mew2
Chorus

by themselves, and was listed before the prior leak was posted. The people posting the prior leak saw this 4chan leak, and thought it was eerily similar to the actual roster that they new, and decided to throw it in as speculation on their post.

Also, just to be a devil's advocate, the leaker may have taken that picture of all star mode before unlocking a character like dark pit or something, just to mess with us. (but because the roster doesn't have Ridley on it yet, I refuse to believe that)

You're lucky. I don't have a Japanese 3ds, so I'll have to wait another month. Bring good news of Ridley when you get to play it. :)
If ridley's playable, I'll take requests from you guys for screenshots and/or info stuff about Riddles :D

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It would be so hilarious if Ridley is confirmed at the same time we reach 2000 pages on this thread. :joyful:
There's your display of cunning intellect right there, folks!

Come next week, all will be revealed. I am curious as to how we kinfolk shall react, irrespective of what the news is.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Come next week, all will be revealed. I am curious as to how we kinfolk shall react, irrespective of what the news is.
It depends on how he's revealed. If the reveal matches my prediction, I have exactly how I'm going to behave mapped out. If not, nothing's really going to change for me. I already know he's in, there's not much point in celebrating in my mind.

Other, less likely characters have my celebrations planned.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Do you want it? I readily have it available, because of various projects.

This is just a raw rip, so I can polish it up for you if you want.
Thank you, but... yeah, you cropped it from this screenshot which everyone uses:

What I meant by "take a snapshot myself" was get the angle of the trophy which I like best. Preferably one in which Ridley's head isn't at such an odd angle...
Which, while I can do, I'm too lazy to. :awesome:
I really don't like cropping.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
This might sound like an odd question, but has Ridley ever been shown to have a sense of humor?
(Just gathering info for aforementioned evil plans)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
No, not because of that. I already said few times why:
  1. He lured scientists into his cage by..."playing dead" or whatever its called. Those scientists fed him and cared for him before that, so, it is illogical to kill free source of food since he will have to find food by himself then and it is not that easy on a ship full of bioweapons.
  2. He used Samus as a way to get food without seeing her killing stuff to make it easier to get food to grow up and then try to kill Samus once again. She was less dangerous than half of the stuff on that ship at that time, but she had skills. He couldn't knew that without knowing her. You may not count that point if you want.
  3. He used other creatures as a distraction for the squad while he attacked Samus in such way that would limit her mobility. If he would attack the biggest/most dangerous/whatever treat, then he would attack Anthony instead, who looks a lot bulkier than Samus. You would never say that tiger looks less dangerous than a cassowary (australian bird-raptor thing that can kill you in 1 kick with its long sharp claw, kinda like everything else from australia), right?
  4. He destroyed the bridge on GPP so no one would escape.
  5. He attacked Samus while she couldn't see him clearly before she destroyed...that thing.

It can be countered easily - it wasn't really shown that he commands them. He is rarely shown doing anything other than fighting Samus. Space Pirates resurrecting him can be counted as them just needing more competent members and they resurrected Kraid in Super Metroid too. In Other M, he is better shown as an intelligent being, but it wasn't needed for those who can understand that Ridley is not a mindless beast by looking at his actions in previous games.

It is pretty simple to explain:
  1. It was large, so, he could easily rest here after battle with Samus.
  2. He didn't know what was contained here.
  3. He was unable to even fight back properly, so, he most likely was too tired. Even if he would ate something, that regeneration may not be that fast.
Ridley's personality in Other M was shown in a better way than Samus'. I like him more, so, i don't complain that much, but i agree that it is bulls**t and could have been better. Even if it would not exist yet again.

No since he already has his role in this game and if it is a boss, then we won't have any playable Ridley. It would confuse players and it is also a very cheap way of getting more money, like releasing Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom, but if it would have higher price than original game.

In Corruption, it is shown only by him attacking Samus while she is in morph ball mode and can't fight back since she is in a tunnel and by him forcing Samus to fight him while falling to death so he would either die with her or he would kill her and then stop by using his claws and wings, then climbing up. Other M did it better.
Oh, ok. thanks Bagan. Now it is clearer to me.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Turns out i got yesterday's date mixed, it's TOMORROW'S pic of the day that deconfirms Ridley.
So we getting bossly, Ridley as a smash run enemy, or a casual mention of the fact that there are no more purple characters?

Yeah, I hate farmville too. So repetitive.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Same here. Though, I only trust the Bowser Jr., Shulk, and Ganondorf parts of the leak and even then I suspect the Bowser Jr. video to be a very impressive hack.

Edit: I don't recall the colors being leaked, but today's PoTD showed Samus with 7 alternate color schemes including her original.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Thank you, but... yeah, you cropped it from this screenshot which everyone uses:

What I meant by "take a snapshot myself" was get the angle of the trophy which I like best. Preferably one in which Ridley's head isn't at such an odd angle...
Which, while I can do, I'm too lazy to. :awesome:
I can do them from a ton of angles (I have a few in other angles too), that's just the highest quality and most recognizable. I crop backgrounds all the time, so nothing's really a big deal for me. Oddly fun to crop off backgrounds to me.

So, yes, I took it from that screenshot. In all that took me like a minute to do just to get an example render.

Never mind then. Just trying to be mildly helpful.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
What's convinced me is the shift right rule. Even if the CSS isn't final (I believe it is), the characters all shift right when somebody is unlocked. Ridley would cause the entire roster be screwed up if everybody shifted right.
nope it will do nothing :)

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Nope, those leaks were separate. That leak said DHD, Shulk, bowser jr, 8 alt costumes/colors for every character, koopalings are bowser jr's alts, bowser jr is in a clown car, 4 of olimar's alts are alph, shulk has 5 modes, dark pit and doc are playable, and wolf/IC/snake/lucas ar ecut

so basically it's been 90% confirmed by sakurai at this point, and we have gameplay of most of the stuff that hasn't been xD.

The Ridley/dixie/chorus/mewtwo was part of a different 4chan leak that just listed the characters

DHD
Jr
Shulk
Ridley
Dixie
Mew2
Chorus

by themselves, and was listed before the prior leak was posted. The people posting the prior leak saw this 4chan leak, and thought it was eerily similar to the actual roster that they new, and decided to throw it in as speculation on their post.

Also, just to be a devil's advocate, the leaker may have taken that picture of all star mode before unlocking a character like dark pit or something, just to mess with us. (but because the roster doesn't have Ridley on it yet, I refuse to believe that)

If ridley's playable, I'll take requests from you guys for screenshots and/or info stuff about Riddles :D
okay, I'm a bit confused here. Which leak came first... The one that includes Ridley/Mewtw/Dixie or the one that doesn't?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

DHD
Jr
Shulk
Ridley
Dixie
Mew2
Chorus

Ok then...didn't needed it to be sure about Ridley's chances anyway.

Make screenshots of every single frame and post at least 15 videos of gameplay on Youtube or you are a traitor and must be exterminated.
I think it is incorrect since he is kinda in the background, but he is still a lot smaller than he should be.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
okay, I'm a bit confused here. Which leak came first... The one that includes Ridley/Mewtwo or the one that does?
The one that includes Ridley/Mewtwo was posted on 4chan (we'll call this the 4chan leak) was posted before anyone payed attention to the Ninka/vaanrose leak (the one that we know to be true with DHD/jr/Shulk/alt costumes/the rest)

this is because Gematsu was the big thing then (Robin had not been revealed yet, so everyone thought chrom/chorus/shulk were the last characters, and this new thing mentioning DHD and bowser jr was thought to be stupid and was ignored)

The only problem is, while the Ninka/vaanrose leak has credible sources, the 4chan leak was literally just an anonymous post to 4chan, so there is no way to verify the information at all, no way to back it up, and it included no other information to verify it.

So basically we're riding on the word of an anonymous 4chan post for now that happened to line up with a legit leak before it was cool. Ridley conmframed? :D

Ok then...didn't needed it to be sure about Ridley's chances anyway.

Make screenshots of every single frame and post at least 15 videos of gameplay on Youtube or you are a traitor and must be exterminated.

I think it is incorrect since he is kinda in the background, but he is still a lot smaller than he should be.
There's 2 minutes of gameplay that I have downloaded, and an imgur album full of screenshots of trophies/gamemodes, half of the game modes have been updated as PotD's afterwards including all star mode, spectator mode, and a few others. It also deconfirmed Krystal, because her trophy talked about her not as a playable character, while Wario's trophy did.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader

DHD
Jr
Shulk
Ridley
Dixie
Mew2
Chorus

I can picture everyone next Friday at 00:01, asking you if Ridley is in.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I can picture everyone next Friday at 00:01, asking you if Ridley is in.
pls no

pls pls no

There's a (stickied) thread in the 3DS board for Japanese release info

Everyone go there for info regarding things in the game

If Ridley is playable or not, that is probably one of the first places that will have the info

This is truly the epitome of science

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, considering the angle and the size of the corridor, perspective or not, Ridley still looks a lot smaller then his usual depicted size, especially compared to his Brawl version.

Last edited:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
pls no

pls pls no

There's a (stickied) thread in the 3DS board for Japanese release info

Everyone go there for info regarding things in the game

If Ridley is playable or not, that is probably one of the first places that will have the info
Aww...but we love harassing you.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Sorry if this has been posted already, I just had to share it.

Anti-Ridleys in a real life situation. - -Ghetsis- from GameFAQS

Let's name our anti-Ridley guy Bob. Hi Bob!

Bob is off to the library to rent a book, "The Catcher in the Rye". Bob walks up to the librarian and asks if they have the book. The librarian walks him to the section where the copies of that book should be, and, instead of the book, Bob finds...

...boxes of books labeled "Catcher in the Rye". Great, he thought. They have the book, she'll just have to get it from one of those boxes. The librarian says...

"Nope, we don't have it. Sorry. Come back another time."

There are people walking out the door with endless copies of the book, and the librarian was smirking the entire time she was talking. Another lady walks up to the librarian and asks for a copy of the same book, and she hands her one!! Bob thought...

"Welp, that's it. She said they don't have it, there's no possible chance they could have it. Why would she lie to me?"

And then Bob went about his day.

But really, that's how a lot of the people against Ridley's inclusion are acting. They act as if there's simply no chance that Sakurai could be misleading them, even though there is plenty of evidence that suggests Sakurai may be doing just that.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
It is because anxiety and curiosity is getting to supporters. The pressure is too much for some and others have already exhausted their energy supporting Ridley.
It's only going to get worse from here. There's 7 chances left for Sakurai to show off Ridley as a Boss Hazard, and general leak talk isn't finding his inclusion likely.

Best clench your butts and be prepared. The Ridley Train is a bumpy ride, after all.

Please by a small chance don't actually be correct for once

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Excellent, that means we now know that Ridley will, in fact, not be disconfirmed tomorrow.

Top Bottom