• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Is it possible for me to create a thread on here? I have ideas for DLC or Smash 5(if we get one) that I would like to talk about. If not or if threads like those already exist, can you tell me where it is?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Double Posting Warning Received
One model, but those could be the color scheme chosen.
Those color schemes are ideal, since they are so distinguishable from each other. With these, there would be no way to confuse your Ridley with another on the battlefield.

Is it possible for me to create a thread on here? I have ideas for DLC or Smash 5(if we get one) that I would like to talk about. If not or if threads like those already exist, can you tell me where it is?
You mean Smash 5 as in the Wii U version correct? If so, then it will fit in the SSB4 Wii U section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
@Krayon Kaphonie mentioned an idea in another post that I think might be true. The Wii U version could feature some sort of special boss battle mode that allows one player, most likely the player with the gamepad, to play as the boss. So in a way, Ridley would be playable. But this is just an idea, one that I think could be true. I know it's not what you guys were hoping tor, but it's still something, right? It could explain why Sakurai was so vague about Ridley and, as some of you have pointed out, Ridley's movements seem to be user controlled. How would you guys feel about that?
Playable bosses wouldn't work. Yellow Devil can only move from the left of the stage to the right, and has a very limited number of move sets. It would be very boring, and would cause chaos in matches. Metal Face will probably be the same. People would complain that there would be an unfair advantage. All that effort put into playable boss Ridley could have been put into a fully playable Ridley. It wouldn't make Ridley fans happy, it would annoy them, and this sort of compromise is just stupid. Besides, I'm pretty sure Sakurai said no gimmicks with the gamepad. Amiibos don't count really, since that's more of a marketing thing from Nintendo itself, and even then you don't control the Amiibo fighters, the game controls them for you.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
We don't know of any game modes in the Wii U version yet and Brawl had a boss battles mode, so they could definitely do it again. This isn't what I'm hoping for, I just think it sounds likely.
As long as those modes are not revealed before the Japanese 3DS version hits store shelves then we are safe. Otherwise, Smash Boards Supporters will be grinding their teeth in Anxiety and Curiosity of who gets thrown on the Chopping Block.

Edit: Because it gives a whole new position that Ridley could be set in.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Maybe now would be a good time to bring up the idea of characters doing double duty of fighter and boss?

The good news is that in this scenario, Ridley has no obstacles whatsoever. Sadly, it also ensures Dark Pit has more roles than he deserves, but at least we have Ridley.

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
I thought it was pretty much confirmed the css from the leak wasn't the full roster? Why are people still bringing it up? I mean if ridley was a stage boss sakurai would have said so. Sakurai might be a fun guy but he's also a buisiness man and dissapointing thousands of fans is not good buissiiness

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hated Boss Battle. It was unnecessarily difficult on the higher difficulties, and I could never beat Taboo on Intense :(

Plus, so far we only have Metalface, Yellow Devil, Master/Crazy Hand and Ridley to go on, potentially

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Playable bosses wouldn't work. Yellow Devil can only move from the left of the stage to the right, and has a very limited number of move sets. It would be very boring, and would cause chaos in matches. Metal Face will probably be the same. People would complain that there would be an unfair advantage. All that effort put into playable boss Ridley could have been put into a fully playable Ridley. It wouldn't make Ridley fans happy, it would annoy them, and this sort of compromise is just stupid. Besides, I'm pretty sure Sakurai said no gimmicks with the gamepad. Amiibos don't count really, since that's more of a marketing thing from Nintendo itself, and even then you don't control the Amiibo fighters, the game controls them for you.
Good point about the yellow devil, I could still see it working, though. You could choose where to attack and when to switch sides.
Can't say anything about Metal Face, since we have no idea how that would work in Smash 4.
Of course playing as a boss would be an unfair advantage, that's the point. That's why you could be up to four against one, or three against one if you people don't want the gamepad to have anything special about it.
All that effort could have been put towards making Ridley playable, yes. But this wouldn't be a compromise, it would be a game design choice from the start. He's doing things with the 3DS version that's only possible on the 3DS, why not do things that's only possible on the Wii U?
It wouldn't make the Ridley fans happy, no. Making Takamaru an assist trophy doesn't make Takamaru fans happy, either. You could argue that there are more Ridley supporters than Takamaru supporters, but I'm not sure how much Sakurai really cares. Fans are fans and no matter what you're not going to make all the fans happy. Ridley has more supporters than Duck Hunt Dog, but what happened there? Sakurai does want Sakurai wants.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Good point about the yellow devil, I could still see it working, though. You could choose where to attack and when to switch sides.
Think about that for a minute.

...Sounds fascinating, doesn't it?
Yeah, playable bosses aren't going to be a thing.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Version 2.0
hybridley copy.png

May or may not update in future. :p

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Still looks like ****. Ridley's arms and legs make him look to be on steroids. Whoever made him should be leave the games industry forever. Concept artist too.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Still looks like ****. Ridley's arms and legs make him look to be on steroids. Whoever made him should be leave the games industry forever. Concept artist too.
a bit rude i should say. kinda makes it seem like your telling shrooby this (the second part)

as for the picture it looks pretty good. i like the choice of purple on him

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
@Drclaw411 don't give up hope just yet. We've had unexplainable things before. There are small nuances to Smash 4 that we don't understand in their entirety yet. Sure it looks like the CSS has no room for Ridley. But is Sakurai going to prioritize the neatness of the CSS over all of the evidence we have going for Ridley?

For all we know, it could've been changed to a vertically-aligned roster a la Brawl.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Definite improvement. Not as good as classic, though. Not even as good as Concept Ridley.
If there was a model for Concept Artley, then I would use it as the base. :p
Actually, if there was a model of Concept Artley, then I wouldn't even change anything because I like that version.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
a bit rude i should say. kinda makes it seem like your telling shrooby this (the second part)

as for the picture it looks pretty good. i like the choice of purple on him
It's just a horrible model. In order to "fix" that model, you'd have to...
1 - Remove the Roid Rage
2 - Remove Nuclear Shoulders
3 - Fix his head, cuz it looks a paper football
4 - Change his wings so they're not like a honeycomb
5 - Change his feet to not look so Bigfoot like more like Talons

The Other M design for Roidley is a cornucopia of bad ideas and horrible execution.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I hated Boss Battle. It was unnecessarily difficult on the higher difficulties, and I could never beat Taboo on Intense :(

Plus, so far we only have Metalface, Yellow Devil, Master/Crazy Hand and Ridley to go on, potentially
Also the Star Wolf team

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Can't say anything about Metal Face, since we have no idea how that would work in Smash 4.
Of course playing as a boss would be an unfair advantage, that's the point. That's why you could be up to four against one, or three against one if you people don't want the gamepad to have anything special about it.
All that effort could have been put towards making Ridley playable, yes. But this wouldn't be a compromise, it would be a game design choice from the start. He's doing things with the 3DS version that's only possible on the 3DS, why not do things that's only possible on the Wii U?
It wouldn't make the Ridley fans happy, no. Making Takamaru an assist trophy doesn't make Takamaru fans happy, either. You could argue that there are more Ridley supporters than Takamaru supporters, but I'm not sure how much Sakurai really cares. Fans are fans and no matter what you're not going to make all the fans happy. Ridley has more supporters than Duck Hunt Dog, but what happened there? Sakurai does want Sakurai wants.
Not only those reasons, but would not a Boss Battle Mode take as much time as one original character to make? You have to make human inputs and make the Boss complete those actions. Trying to perfect those Bosses would only give the Developers lots of trouble and Extra Testing Time, something that the release date would not allow.

Overall, I think that if Sakurai had to cut corners for the upcoming release date of the Wii U Version, I believe he would cut the playable Boss attribute before anything else.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
1 - Remove the Roid Rage

The Other M design for Roidley is a cornucopia of bad ideas and horrible execution.
Except if we're getting ANY Ridley it's most likely going to be this one, so you may as well suck it up and start trying to make good out of it. :glare:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Not only those reasons, but would not a Boss Battle Mode take as much time as one original character to make? You have to make human inputs and make the Boss complete those actions. Trying to perfect those Bosses would only give the Developers lots of trouble and Extra Testing Time, something that the release date would not allow.

Overall, I think that if Sakurai had to cut corners for the upcoming release date of the Wii U Version, I believe he would cut the playable Boss attribute before anything else.
This would be something he's been working on since the start, not something he started working on at the last minute.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This would be something he's been working on since the start, not something he started working on at the last minute.
My point is that Sakurai would likely not hold that Mode in high regard.

Edit: Yes and would Sakurai consider it a necessity to keep? I really don't think he would do that.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
1 - Remove the Roid Rage

Okay, can you please stop with the Roidley hate? >< There are some like me who really like the design, and feel offended when you say stuff like that. Besides, I feel it would actually be better to have a playable Roidley because his proportions are easier to program on a playable character, and his bulk can serve him to still look imposing when scaled down.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Meh. Your opinion.

Camera mode in Melee. That was fascinating, wasn't it? Yeah, it was a thing.
i remember that. it would only take like 2 pictures (for me atleast :/)

oh boy i really hope Ridley gets a palette swap for his nes look (purple with green eyes, mouth, and wings) after seeing a concept art of it. that along with super metroid box artley would be my most picked ridleys. box artley because of this: http://youtu.be/VpL4zIu2-yQ?t=1m8s

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@shrooby I really love the tone of purple that Ridley has on your signature (he looks kinda blue-ish in the original image...), do you think you have the full image of him with those colors? I want to use it as a reference, just in case I decide to add color to my Ridley stuff....please?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Okay, can you please stop with the Roidley hate? There are some like me who really like the design, and feel offended when you say stuff like that. Besides, I feel it would actually be better to have a playable Roidley because his proportions are easier to program on a playable character, and his bulk can serve him to still look imposing when scaled down.
He's a dragon. He could be six inches tall and still be imposing.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Okay, can you please stop with the Roidley hate? There are some like me who really like the design, and feel offended when you say stuff like that. Besides, I feel it would actually be better to have a playable Roidley because his proportions are easier to program on a playable character, and his bulk can serve him to still look imposing when scaled down.
If Ridley's playable, going off the Direct tease, he's flying, right? So how would that make these proportions more suitable for Smash exactly? The steroided up part of Ridley doesn't even come close to his concept art from that awful game, either. Yeah, I know it's concept art and such, but seriously, there are limits to how far outside of the box you should be able to go on designing a character.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
My point is that Sakurai would likely not hold that Mode in high regard.

Edit: Yes and would Sakurai consider it a necessity to keep? I really don't think he would do that.
You have an opinion on what Sakurai would or would not do. I have an opinion on what Sakurai would or would not do. But our opinions get us nowhere. Sakurai has a mind of his own so saying that you don't think Sakurai would do something means nothing.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
1 - Remove the Roid Rage

im sure the possible ridley model for sm4sh would most likely be other m. but considering playability he'll obviously be resized so they could fixed those mistakes. Zero suit samus is a mixture of other m and some other stuff, perhaps ridley could do the same also.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You have an opinion on what Sakurai would or would not do. I have an opinion on what Sakurai would or would not do. But our opinions get us nowhere. Sakurai has a mind of his own so saying that you don't think Sakurai would do something means nothing.
True, but we have Stage Bosses in this game now. Sakurai may be content with Stage Bosses than a Boss Battle mode.

We will not agree, so it is best to drop the conversation.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Okay, can you please stop with the Roidley hate? >< There are some like me who really like the design, and feel offended when you say stuff like that. Besides, I feel it would actually be better to have a playable Roidley because his proportions are easier to program on a playable character, and his bulk can serve him to still look imposing when scaled down.
I want to add on to this by saying, Roidley's design maybe easier to shrink down proportionally, but its not impossible with the other designs, that falls on the competency of the dev. team, and these are professionals we're talking about, I wouldn't doubt them and say they'd end making him look "********" or "stupid" like some detractors say because as I've said before these are professionals, they should have the ability and the competency to make him look presentable at a smaller size.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@shrooby I really love the tone of purple that Ridley has on your signature (he looks kinda blue-ish in the original image...), do you think you have the full image of him with those colors? I want to use it as a reference, just in case I decide to add color to my Ridley stuff....please?
Thank ya! Yeah, I have the full version. It's just a recoloring of Brawly I did a while ago.

ridely copy.png

I wanted to make a recolored version of the Brawl model to match the Smash4 artstyle. Just so it didn't clash with the other characters in my signature.
The "Hybridley" I'm making leans more towards the Super Metroid shade of purple.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I want to add on to this by saying, Roidley's design maybe easier to shrink down proportionally, but its not impossible with the other designs, that falls on the competency of the dev. team, and these are professionals we're talking about, I wouldn't doubt them and say they'd end making him look "********" or "stupid" like some detractors say because as I've said before these are professionals, they should have the ability and the competency to make him look presentable at a smaller size.
I can see why so many would want Classic Ridley; he's surrounded in so much nostalgia, the scene in Other M has done nothing to give Roidley a good enough reputation. However, since Nintendo is trying to focus more on Other M in this game, and that I bet the dev team isn't willing to put too much time on that wonky pencil-neck, I find Roidley much more likely. Again, I get it, everyone love Classicley for his beautiful nostalgia, and this wasn't intended to offend the Classicley supporters.

Thank ya! Yeah, I have the full version. It's just a recoloring of Brawly I did a while ago.

View attachment 24022

I wanted to make a recolored version of the Brawl model to match the Smash4 artstyle. Just so it didn't clash with the other characters in my signature.
The "Hybridley" I'm making leans more towards the Super Metroid shade of purple.
B..but where's the Roid in there??

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually highly doubt THE competence of the Smash team, I do not believe that they could get the other Ridley model to work... do you want evidence?

They could not figure out how to change his model. :troll:

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

View attachment 24022

Why don't you recolor Melee Ridley to match the current colors and potential alt schemes? That's the best Ridley so far in Smash.

Zynux

Smash Lord
We only jumped 8 pages from last time I was here. We're slowing down. Good!

As for the design Ridley should incorporate, regardless of his role?
  • Personal Bias: Zero Mission Ridley
  • If they wanted to strive for Iconicness: Super Metroid Ridley
  • Most Likely will go with: Other M Ridley (with probably a Hybrid of Super Metroid Ridley)

Last edited:
Top Bottom