• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I really hope this is the proper place to mention this. I've seen about every leak since Smash 4 was announced and I noticed something between to specific leaks and the Smash Direct.

The two leaks I wanna mention are the "Foul Mouth Leak" (sorry, couldn't find original source of leak) and the "Pax Event Guy Leak" from just a little bit ago. I understand both leaks are in question, especially the Pax Guy leak, but I wanted to point out something really quick. Both mention Ridley and the fact he has some sort of unique flying mechanic. On top of that we know Ridley will be in the game, playable or not, based on the tease we saw back in April. When looking at Ridley's movements though it's obvious he's flying, but has a sudden pause and then continues to the left. Some can assume he's just a stage hazard and others will argue it's a controlled character. I bring this up though, because if the two leaks are true in the suggestion that Ridley has an exclusive flying mechanic, it might explain Ridley's movements in the Direct. Every character in Smash that had some sort of flying/gliding mechanic always had a stiff animation, but Ridley's were pretty fluid, which they would have to be if the character's movement revolved around such a mechanic.

It's just a theory of mine. I've just been lurking around here for so long I figured I'd throw my two cents in. Regardless though, we'll see the final roster within two weeks.

P.S. - Sorry if anything similar to this was posted in the past.
I find this very interesting... These two leaks do indeed matchup with the way Ridley's shadow moved in the direct, so they may hold some weight here. Consider that gliding was also removed from Pit, Meta, and Charizard, and if Ridley is getting a flying mechanic, the removal of gliding in the former vetrans was probably done to add to Ridley's uniqueness as a fighter, something Sakurai has been focusing a lot on in newcomers

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I really hope this is the proper place to mention this. I've seen about every leak since Smash 4 was announced and I noticed something between to specific leaks and the Smash Direct.

The two leaks I wanna mention are the "Foul Mouth Leak" (sorry, couldn't find original source of leak) and the "Pax Event Guy Leak" from just a little bit ago. I understand both leaks are in question, especially the Pax Guy leak, but I wanted to point out something really quick. Both mention Ridley and the fact he has some sort of unique flying mechanic. On top of that we know Ridley will be in the game, playable or not, based on the tease we saw back in April. When looking at Ridley's movements though it's obvious he's flying, but has a sudden pause and then continues to the left. Some can assume he's just a stage hazard and others will argue it's a controlled character. I bring this up though, because if the two leaks are true in the suggestion that Ridley has an exclusive flying mechanic, it might explain Ridley's movements in the Direct. Every character in Smash that had some sort of flying/gliding mechanic always had a stiff animation, but Ridley's were pretty fluid, which they would have to be if the character's movement revolved around such a mechanic.

It's just a theory of mine. I've just been lurking around here for so long I figured I'd throw my two cents in. Regardless though, we'll see the final roster within two weeks.

Eh, we've been talking about the flying mechanic for ages. The fact that those leakers mentioned it means jack all.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hate the Other M Ridley design. It's just ATROCIOUS. I hate all Other M designs in general. At least Sakurai made them somewhat presentable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I think those leaks came after the Direct aired, and the idea of Ridley having a flying mechanic is a common one, so really, Ridley is practically guaranteed to have a flying mechanic if he's playable. Those "leaks" are probably just picking up on that fact.

What I find more interesting is the fact that the "Foul Mouth Leak" mentioned that Shulk and Chorus Men, two Gematsu leak characters, would be playable, yet made no mention of Chrom...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The only thing holding Ridley back, i think, is unoriginality. He'd be very similiar to Charizard
Only because he looks like a dragon. Other than that, f*** no. He looks more like some kind of a anorexic dragon/pterosaur hybrid than a normal dragon like Charizard or Smaug. His design is more unique compared to them. The only thing holding Ridley back is Sakurai and nothing more. We had clones who are unoriginal, like Young Link, Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, etc. so, it isn't that much of a problem.
Who made this?
Other M developers (animation itself and original model) and me (turned it into a gif and edited model itself).
Dat duck beak tho
There is no duck beak. It is classic hawk/Ridley beak.

Oh my Ridley, this animation lags this page. Anyway, i skipped few pages. What did i missed?

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Whatever Brawl Ridley is, or the melee intro Ridley. I want one of those 2, they are the ones that instantly jump to mind when I hear his name.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ridley is in .. get over it pessimists.

That's quite the lovely Gif.

Also, I have composed a little parody song for Ridley.

Ever since I was young, I thought he'd be in...
So what happened?
My family and friends said he had a chance...
So what happened?
You're supposed to be all so excited of the new Smash to be!
I can't allow my support to be shaken
Oh what's the matter with me?

I've always longed to play as Ridley,
To swoop through battles unprepared,
This was the time for Ridley to step up
So then why was I am I so doubtful?

A so called leak.
What's so convincing about about that?
I must trust that Sakurai is smarter
And has Ridley in!
Now I must be completely sure
I can't have even one shred of doubt...

I Believe; that Ridley is in Smash Bros
I Believe; that he has some gimmick flying thing
And I Believe; that he isn't too big!
I am a Ridley supporter!
And a Space Pirate just believes

You cannot just believe part way,
You have to believe in it all.
The problem was doubting Sakurai
Instead of trusting him.

I can't allow myself to have any doubt
It's time to set my worries free
Time to show the world that Ridley is in!
And share the wonder of his wings...

I Believe; that Ridley will have a Meta Ridley Alt
I Believe; that that alt will be amazing!
And I Believe; that Ridley will be somewhere in middle-low tier!
I am a Ridley Supporter!
And dang it! A space pirate just believes!

I know that I must trust
The things that Sakurai teases
I realize now why he has trolled us here

You trust Sakurai's judgement
He will always pull through!
Just believe in him
And have no fear!

I Believe; that the shadow on Pyrosphere means nothing
I Believe; that the developer, Sakurai, his trolling us all
And I Believe; that Ridley probably should've been in Brawl!
You can be a Ridley Supporter!
A Space Pirate who just believes!

And now I can feel the excitement
This is the moment I was waiting for
And I feel so average
To be sharing my song with you

The leaks say that if you believe
If believe, you will know
But you must believe without any doubt
And let your spirit grow...

I Believe; that Ridley isn't too big
I Believe; that Ridley's final smash will be awesome!
And I Believe; that Pyrosphere may actually be a neutral Metroid Stage!
If you believe, Sakurai will reveal it
And you'll know it's all true: you'll just... feel it
You'll be a Ridley Supporter
By gosh!
A Space Pirate just...
Believes!.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
1800 pages. You guys sure talk a lot.

I'd rather have a combination of various Ridleys, to be honest. I feel like taking the best out of each one would make a really awesome and unique Smashley.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
happy 1800 pages, my fellow space pirates. let us celebrate yet another day of ridley's survival.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I think those leaks came after the Direct aired, and the idea of Ridley having a flying mechanic is a common one, so really, Ridley is practically guaranteed to have a flying mechanic if he's playable. Those "leaks" are probably just picking up on that fact.

What I find more interesting is the fact that the "Foul Mouth Leak" mentioned that Shulk and Chorus Men, two Gematsu leak characters, would be playable, yet made no mention of Chrom...
I myself believe the "Foul Mouth Leak" might have some truth to it. Aside the exclusion of Chrom, the leaker did mention Paluetna and Pac-Man (which could have easily been mimicked from the Gematsu leak). Still, I don't think there has been any info that has gone against the leaker yet. He also mentioned Shulk's 5 stances/modes before the Ninka leak really picked up steam. Doesn't mean everything is true. Just fun speculation!

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
So this felt like a troll from a higher being today. I was playing Boss Mode in brawl, and guess who was the first to show up. Our boss. So that felt like the universe was taunting me...

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
JESUS RIDLEY THREAD SLOW DOWN!

I coulda sworn it was 1,000 last time I checked :(

Congrats on your one step closer to the glitch number.

1800 pages of just mostly Ridley. Jeez

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
One can only hope for the clarification of his fate before the page cap
Just need to avoid talking leaks and we should be fine, with the release being so close I know people are going to try and capitalize on people's hype, posting supposed leaks.

Plus if we get a Ridley reveal soon hopefully we won't need this thread any longer, all the more reason Sakurai needs to reveal him soon.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I'd wager Ridleys "flying" mechanic is either an extended float ala Peach but his wings flapping are the animation. That or he has a "flying" meter like Lil Mac has an instant KO meter.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice

Can you tell me what they say in those leaks? I haven't heard of them.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
This gif reminds me of how his shadow moves in the Nintendo Direct... Looks very similar.
I believe that was very much the point. Yea, they do move similarly, but the wings are different I believe. Why oh why would they give Bossley smaller wings, and shrink him down, huh?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
There was this dude and he leaked stuff and he had the tendency to swear a lot, hence the name. He also did fake leaks and in the end nobody knew what the hell.
Too big as an arguement died long ago.
These days the arguement is "stage hazard or playable?"

Is this the thread with the most pages?
The only thread bigger then ours was the SSB4 social thread....But It got shut down twice for getting over 2000 posts.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Guys, i found something interesting - in original Metroid, there was a Fake Ridley, with fully functional everything. So, maybe in April Direct it was a Fake Ridley? Huh? HUH?! *totallynotstrawgrasping*
This gif reminds me of how his shadow moves in the Nintendo Direct... Looks very similar.
Most likely because they used this animation for Ridley's flying animation (more choppy version of it either because they were lazy, he is a playable character or because of frame rate issues). Since we had everything Metroid from Other M except for things that didn't appeared in Other M and animation used in that gif is straight from Other M, it is very likely.
Is this the thread with the most pages?
Not yet.
I believe that was very much the point. Yea, they do move similarly, but the wings are different I believe. Why oh why would they give Bossley smaller wings, and shrink him down, huh?
His wings are still giant. Ridley himself isn't and that is more important.

Last edited:

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
Foul Mouth Leak?
I'm not able to post links yet, but the guy might have had solid info.

Mentions the following:
- Shulk, Ridley, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Palutena, and Chorus Men are playable.
- Ike's Radiant Dawn design.
- The roster will be at least 50.

I believe this might have been before Ike was revealed as a veteran, but I'm not 100% sure. Every time I tried finding the original post I'm just linked back to the Gamefaqs quote. So, take it as you will right now. Nothing is concrete.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
1800 already? Ha, felt like we were just celebrating page 1000 a few weeks ago...
Anyway, with the whole 8 palette swaps thing, I think that ridley could easily benefit. My idea is that we have 4 conceptly palettes, and 4 (slightly redesigned) supermetroidly palettes.
Thoughts?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it isn't actually possible to get sane commentary from anti-Ridleys on Gamefaqs at least. "What if Ridley was just unfinished" and "Maybe Sakurai thought he deconfirmed Ridley explicitly" are still used non-stop despite being weak as all hell. It's exasperating.

Can the game come out in like two hours instead of two weeks? Pls?

Top Bottom