• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Umm, what was the count on the Ridley Supporters list? I can't remember how much it was but I thought it was a very high number. Can someone bring that up?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Despite the size of this thread, I really think you're over-estimating the size of the Ridley fan-base.

A thread with a lot of pages just means lots of discussion, not lots of fans. Also, Smashboards represents so very little of the overall Smash-base.
Why don't you look at the Supporters list, or the character wishlist poll?

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Despite the size of this thread, I really think you're over-estimating the size of the Ridley fan-base.

A thread with a lot of pages just means lots of discussion, not lots of fans. Also, Smashboards represents so very little of the overall Smash-base.
Did I mention the thread? No, no I didn't. I'm aware that this thread isn't the main attraction of the Ridley fanbase, it's stupid to think otherwise. I would stop assuming things that aren't even insinuated. There are many more Ridley fans (and haters) out there.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Does anyone know how big Ridley's fanbase was in the Brawl era? Was it about on par with other fanbases in terms of size?
On SmashBoards, the threads for him only had about 750 pages and were constantly closed for spam and off topic (moreso than now). If you want to go look for/at them, go to the brawl characters subforum and use the search box to search for Ridley under thread titles only.

If that's anything to go by, I'd say he's a lot more supported now and we get off topic less than the Brawl-era supporters.

Not that it's much to go off of. As Zipzo said, SmashBoards isn't everybody in the world, a lot of people don't have accounts (case in point: all the guests we have watching). But I believe it was pretty big (:troll:), but nowhere as big as it is now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Based on what I have seen and read, Ridley's the fifth most requested character in the west for this game, although the list DID put Little Mac above Ridley, and I highly doubt Little Mac is more requested than Ridley... but Mewtwo, Mega Man, and King K. Rool I could potentially see (that said, I thought K. Rool was just behind Ridley in the west, but ahead worldwide).

The list I recall seeing brought up before was:

Worldwide:
1. Mewtwo
2. Mega Man
3. King K. Rool

Japan:
4. Palutena
5. Shulk

West:
4. Little Mac
5. Ridley

I don't remember who posted it, but I do recall it being mentioned somewhere, maybe it was brought up even in this thread.

That said, it would not surprise me if we all think Ridley is higher because of his popularity on Smashboards, and people have been waiting for Ridley longer. Honestly, though, this list gave me a lot more hope for K. Rool again. :D

Based on what I have seen and read, Ridley's the fifth most requested character in the west for this game, although the list DID put Little Mac above Ridley, and I highly doubt Little Mac is more requested than Ridley... but Mewtwo, Mega Man, and King K. Rool I could potentially see (that said, I thought K. Rool was just behind Ridley in the west, but ahead worldwide).

The list I recall seeing brought up before was:

Worldwide:
1. Mewtwo
2. Mega Man
3. King K. Rool

Japan:
4. Palutena
5. Shulk

West:
4. Little Mac
5. Ridley

I don't remember who posted it, but I do recall it being mentioned somewhere, maybe it was brought up even in this thread.

That said, it would not surprise me if we all think Ridley is higher because of his popularity on Smashboards, and people have been waiting for Ridley longer. Honestly, though, this list gave me a lot more hope for K. Rool again. :D
Just those 3....and it shall be complete!

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Ok another argument put to rest by Sakurai today. Rikki is an assist trophy and in Shulks final smash. whats stopping Ridley from being playable AND a boss.

However I fully believe the shadow we saw on Pyrosphere was the playable Ridley. due to how small his shadow really is.

But im just saying, if that is his fate on Pyrosphere then hope is not lost.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Can someone please make a gif out of Riki's introduction in Xenoblade Chronicles and replace Reyn's head with Ridley's? (And I guess replace the heads of the other guys with other potential/confirmed newcomers [except for Shulk, for obvious reasons])

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I know we've discussed the All Star pic at nuasium but there's something about it that still bothers me. Why wouldn't they keep Ridley with Samus? Wouldn't it make sense to do so considering they're from the same franchise and were introduced in the same game. I'm worried, very much so worried.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I know we've discussed the All Star pic at nuasium but there's something about it that still bothers me. Why wouldn't they keep Ridley with Samus? Wouldn't it make sense to do so considering they're from the same franchise and were introduced in the same game. I'm worried, very much so worried.
As discussed before, if he's in the game, he'd most likely be with Zero Suit Samus, as he is heavily considered to be the Other M Ridley. And there's also the fact that they wouldn't show unannounced characters in a tv ad. The Ganondorf peek in the 5 minute trailer was a mistake akin to that of Ness in Brawl. So I wouldn't worry.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You could argue that there isn't enough space for more than 5 characters, or that the footage was from an older build or something. Pit among others isn't there either.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ok another argument put to rest by Sakurai today. Rikki is an assist trophy and in Shulks final smash. whats stopping Ridley from being playable AND a boss.
However I fully believe the shadow we saw on Pyrosphere was the playable Ridley. due to how small his shadow really is.
But im just saying, if that is his fate on Pyrosphere then hope is not lost.
Riki doesn't change anything for me. There was nothing stopping Ridley from having multiple roles before, in my opinion. In fact, I always thought he was a boss and a character.

And, of course, if he is truly not the latter, he can always be DLC.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So you mean to tell me that you don't care about finding out where does people get that Ridley is intelligent, since that info is written and thus require you to read it, which therefore means you are willing to keep believing your ignorant claim instead of accepting that your original statement is fallacious because official information dictates so... is that correct?

Gee, this totally doesn't feel like a troll post.
its not important for me it's just a video game charcter if I want to learn about a video game character I rather play the game he did appear in or seeing his anime or get a manga to read about him because I ENJOY learn about him more than reading in a wikipedia for exampel i did learn everything about geno by playing smrpg and i did learn too many thing about mewtwo when i saw his movie/anime and i did learn everything about skull kid when i read the manga this HOW i enjoy learning about a video game charcter
also i want ridley in SSB4 he is my 5th most wanted charcter but the reason why i want him because we need more villans and he is one of the best nintendo villans and he was in every metroid games since NES days

Cruncher93

Smash Cadet
Riki doesn't change anything for me. There was nothing stopping Ridley from having multiple roles before, in my opinion. In fact, I always thought he was a boss and a character.

In the final melee event you fought against Mewtwo, Ganondorf and Giga Bowser. Giga Bowser wasn't playable just because the others were and the others weren't only bosses because Giga Bowser was. I don't see any reason why Ridley (maybe even in a different form than his character) can't be a boss. There was also some argument about Toon Link appearing in the Spirit Tracks stage, so being part of a stage has nothing to do with playability.

I still have some doubts about Ridley, but deep inside there is hope left. Count me in as a supporter!

NK1046

Smash Apprentice

If DLC characters are a thing

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Actually Ridley vs Dr. Mario does make sense if they make a Dark Pit vs Mewtwo trailer. Clones!

Hope this trailer is true. We've been teased long enough.
But if Other M Ridley is a clone too, so of course he should fight Mewtwo

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
i dont know if you guys saw the leaked images of a ridley trailer or not but did you guys debunk it or believe it?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If DLC characters are a thing
If Nintendo decided not to have DLC characters for Smash, that would be the equivalent of throwing away a bag full of money.
Nintendo's been making a lot of good decisions I would say, this is probably going to be one of them.

i dont know if you guys saw the leaked images of a ridley trailer or not but did you guys debunk it or believe it?
:4link: please.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I saw the picture of the day

Yes sir another one for ridley

It proves i was right about the whole toon link thing was right (multiple roles)

This one has assist trophy and final smash.

I can smell it ridleys role will be playable and boss hazard

Might add it to my blog in the toon link section for proof.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Hey question.. Since Ridley has like 5 different forms, and one of those forms is a cyborg and/or version of him.. Isn't it possible that the stage boss may not even Ridley prime? Couldn't he be that gigantic metal ridley?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Hey question.. Since Ridley has like 5 different forms, and one of those forms is a cyborg and/or version of him.. Isn't it possible that the stage boss may not even Ridley prime? Couldn't he be that gigantic metal ridley?
Indee, he should be Meta Ridley going by the color.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The one on the Pyrosphere stage is the Other M clone Ridley. He has the same tail design.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Can someone please make a gif out of Riki's introduction in Xenoblade Chronicles and replace Reyn's head with Ridley's? (And I guess replace the heads of the other guys with other potential/confirmed newcomers [except for Shulk, for obvious reasons])
regrettably I have no experience with gifs :( (to be more accurate I have no software to work on gifs)

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
Guys don't worry, even if Ridley doesn't make it in the game, today's POTD confirms that Ridley can both be a boss and playable. Which means he can both be a boss and DLC if we beg for it enough. :upsidedown:

Beanybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
atombeany
3DS FC
2019-9824-4588
Today's update seals the deal for me.

Ridley WILL be a boss.

And Ridley WILL be playable.

It's so crazy, it has to be true! That's just how Mr. Soccer Eye thinks.

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Plot twist
Unlock Ridley by beating his boss form
Then comes back as meta ridley to fight as a character

Last edited:
Top Bottom