• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Today's update seals the deal for me.

Ridley WILL be a boss.

And Ridley WILL be playable.

It's so crazy, it has to be true! That's just how Mr. Soccer Eye thinks.
Mr. Soccer Eye.....well that's a new one!

I'm not to sure about him being both playable and a boss, but like you said....Sakurai man...he keeps us on the edge of our seats.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I think he means this one:
This looks... wrong, somehow. Not saying it's fake, just... wrong. Although it looks like it's fake too.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought today's PotD is good news for Ridley. Although we already had Toon Link as proof that appearing as something else doesn't stop you from being playable.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I realized something, we're not getting a trailer on the third.

The flyer pointed out that it was being released on the 3rd/4th

and that there was a new character trailer with a link to it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Rumor has it that the pyrosphere will make an appearance on the 3ds
Nope. It's not on the 3DS stage line-up according to the leaks. And even if it was, it wouldn't be a secret stage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyone capable of using Audicity? I now know how to get our sweet glorious Fusion/Zero Mission screech without sound effects!
If you take out Ridley's theme, tadaa! I found this out because some animator used the screech on it's own, I asked him, and he gave me an answer!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If Pyrosphere's meant to be on the 3DS version, Sakurai would've mentioned it alongside Wily's Castle and Boxing Ring stages. Though, it's not impossible for Sakurai to be a lazy so and so and put the stage on 3DS. I'd rather a completely different stage, one that's more relevant to the handheld Metroid games. So basically, it would need to be from either: Metroid II (which is where it was rumoured to be based on), Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, and the overrated Metroid Prime Hunters. The Metroid II one was rumoured to have a stage boss, Metroid Queen, whereas the Metroid Prime Hunters one could have appearances from all of the hunters shooting at/attacking players, and getting captured by Gorea. Then again, we couldn't see any new Metroid stages on the leaked image, only the Brinstar stage, so who knows whether there really is another new Metroid stage, or whether Metroid got the shaft again. That's a point... Was Ridley a background character for the Brinstar stage, or was that only for the Planet Zebes stage for the SSB64? I'm pretty sure it was Planet Zebes stage only...

Zeox

Smash Champion
I dont know why, but im sure 100% Ridley is not a boss and a playable character... the shadow from the pyrosphere was cleary a playable character, only look how it moves... i mean... is hard to me to explain because i dont talk english very well... but.. you know... well, maybe not... whatever.
(i wanna suport Ridley)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
On a related, albeit tangential, note, does anybody know the official pronunciation of "Zebes"?

I always thought it was pronounced "ZEEBS", like the Greek city of Thebes, but the narrator in Brawl pronounces it "ZEB-ess".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I dont know why, but im sure 100% Ridley is not a boss and a playable character... the shadow from the pyrosphere was cleary a playable character, only look how it moves... i mean... is hard to me to explain because i dont talk english very well... but.. you know... well, maybe not... whatever.
(i wanna suport Ridley)
We found out the shadow is bowser-sized, no worries! We don't need people who are perfect in English! Zipzo is Japanese, even if he's a detractor, AndreaAC is Mexican, I think IsmaR is Mexican too, although I might be wrong on that. As long as you speak Ridley we are happy to have you!
On a related, albeit tangential, note, does anybody know the official pronunciation of "Zebes"?

I always thought it was pronounced "ZEEBS", like the Greek city of Thebes, but the narrator in Brawl pronounces it "ZEB-ess".
it is pronounced ZEB-ess, zeebs was a common mistake

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I always used to say it ZEB-EEZ but then I realized I was stupid

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
(i wanna suport Ridley)
I like your avatar.

And I agree with what you said, though it might just be the Ridley fan in me speaking. The more I look at that clip, the less convinced I am that he's a stage hazard.

I always pronounced it the same way the announcer does in the Metroid Prime track, even before playing Brawl.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
*Wonders why the thread jumped 5 pages overnight for no reason*

*Then notices Zipzo stopped by plus fake leak(s) brought up for 100th time*

Sigh...

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
We found out the shadow is bowser-sized, no worries! We don't need people who are perfect in English! Zipzo is Japanese, even if he's a detractor, AndreaAC is Mexican, I think IsmaR is Mexican too, although I might be wrong on that. As long as you speak Ridley we are happy to have you!

And I'm Spanish, so yeah, don't worry if you have troubles explaining yourself, I'm sure we are all mature enough here :D

Also where does this Pyrosphere confirmed for 3DS come from? Any source? I've never heard anything about this.

Aaaand I'm not a native English speaker, but I'd say it's pronounced "zeebs". Maybe.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I like your avatar.

And I agree with what you said, though it might just be the Ridley fan in me speaking. The more I look at that clip, the less convinced I am that he's a stage hazard.
Honestly, I have a hard time imagining that Ridley really is a stage hazard on the Pyrosphere. The apparent size of the shadow, the way the shadow moves and acts and doesn't attack, the fact that we've gone so long without official confirmation of him being a boss, and the fact that we've seen so many pictures and footage of the Pyrosphere with no indication of Ridley's presence...

I could definitely be wrong about this, but I just can't picture Ridley being a boss at this point.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I really hope that this turns out to be the final roster:

No I'm not saying this leak is legit but in terms of characters, this is one of the best roster's we have. And we get Ridley, Mewtwo, and Duck Hunt, so it's all good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And I'm Spanish, so yeah, don't worry if you have troubles explaining yourself, I'm sure we are all mature enough here :D

Also where does this Pyrosphere confirmed for 3DS come from? Any source? I've never heard anything about this.

Aaaand I'm not a native English speaker, but I'd say it's pronounced "zeebs". Maybe.
3DS Pyrosphere is what would happen if Ridley was a boss, it's just devil's advocate.
RIGHT FROM DAH WIKI!
  • The official pronounciation of the planet's name is "Zeh-bess". However, it is sometimes mistakenly pronounced as "ZEEBz" or "Zee-bees"

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I am Irish and I speak the Queen's English. Irrespective, we are all mutually united in our support for the purple fellow. Don't worry about not making sense, though. We understand you completely and are happy to have you on board. ^_^

Yeah, in hindsight, "ZEEBS" sounds a little silly. "ZEB-ess" sounds somewhat more foreign and fantastical.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. ;3

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Honestly, I have a hard time imagining that Ridley really is a stage hazard on the Pyrosphere. The apparent size of the shadow, the way the shadow moves and acts and doesn't attack, the fact that we've gone so long without official confirmation of him being a boss, and the fact that we've seen so many pictures and footage of the Pyrosphere with no indication of Ridley's presence...

I could definitely be wrong about this, but I just can't picture Ridley being a boss at this point.
That's basically how I see it. It seems highly unorthodox to go all this time without explaining Ridley's role, even if it was left ambiguous that it might have hinted a stage hazard Ridley. No matter how detractors deny it, it makes no sense, not even for Sakurai, to take this long to reveal Ridley's true role if all he was were a stage hazard.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

No I'm not saying this leak is legit but in terms of characters, this is one of the best roster's we have. And we get Ridley, Mewtwo, and Duck Hunt, so it's all good.
I recognize some of the used renders from that pic, like Ridley and Mewtwo, which means that it's fake.

But I honestly believe that's what the final roster is going to look like. Except that my predicted roster has a Zelda newcomer and Wolf cut.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

If this is how the final roster will look, it would hands down be the best roster of Smash yet.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Why do the detractors always come out at midnight, or right before I get here? Anyway if there's going to be a boss Ridley, my guess is it'll be Mech Ridley. I doubt a playable character would be a boss. Toon Link has his Spirit tracks incarnation as a stage element, not a boss, it would be weird to see Ridley biome the evils of a stage boss. Of course he'd love to torture by popping in every ten seconds and then dying.

Chase

Smash Ace
I always used to say it ZEB-EEZ but then I realized I was stupid

That's what I'm predicting, but it has Mach Rider, Marshal in place of Chorus Men, and King K. Rool in place of Dixie Kong.

It feels weird that we're so close to the end with no idea on Ridley's fate. Do you think when Ridley's confirmed we will experience Crashboards-pocalypse?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I wonder if Sakurai is trolling and there's no boss on the pyro stage. Massive trolling.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I wonder if Sakurai is trolling and there's no boss on the pyro stage. Massive trolling.
It could very well happen. And I would actually like that TBH, even if the boss hazard wasn't Ridley.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
But it confirmed that one character can have two roles - Riki is an assist trophy as well as a Final Smash.

Go crazy. :awesome:

Dual roles confirmed is just Ridley continuing to get back up every time he's knocked down.

Watch the PAX Trailer be Ridley's, originally meant to be released publically in America to mirror Shulk in Japan as part of a Mega-Day of hype that undercuts any pre-release leaks. Then the leak happened so they made the trailer part of the closed-door event just so the media guys can torture themselves with knowing something so splendid and risking Reggie's wrath by hinting at it.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
It would be a bigger insult to have a small Ridley as a boss than playable anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if one if the other bosses from the Pyrosphere are the Stage Hazard and that Sakurai was intentionally teasing up Ridley like he's a boss only to trick us into being playable. He's been known to lie before.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
We're just a few days away from release, man its freaking amazing how time flies. I'm mostly ready for a damn confirmation on Ridley's role, I'm also ready for this speculation and needless debating to end already, only 10 more days left.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Spoiler because it's pretty damn long.
Twas the night before smash was announced, and Sakurai had a deed! He wanted to make a video game and fulfill everyones need! Mario, Kirby Samus, all of the original 12! Everyone was happy, even the guys at Valve! However, one man named Ridley was left out, for he was too big! Solid Snake saw him crying when smoking a cig. "I'm too big." Ridley said, "They'll never let me in!" "Size doesn't matter at all" Snake said with a grin. Ridley wasn't convinced, and was still very upset, "I'll just be a boss again, for that, I'm allset" Snake punched Ridley right in the mouth! Ridley's face went to the ground, facing to the south. "Your fans want you in, they give you eternal support! Hell, they'd buy a life size plushie of you, even with the costs of import!" Ridley was shocked, he commited a sin! He forget that his chances weren't slim!"Dammit" Ridley shouted, as he suddenly realized."The East don't want me!" He analyzed. Little Mac heard the commotion, ran quickly and saw tears of emotion. "Hey you!" Mac yelled with anger in his voice, "I'm in, and it's Sakurai's choice!" Ridley gasped"But you and me are the same! The West want us but the East think we're lame!" Mac told Ridley in a battle-cry: "You'll never get in if you won't bother to try!" Sakurai saw this, his heart had grown. "I'll put Ridley in, my kindness will be shown. Hey big guy, you over there! I'll put you in! See? I care!" "I'll pretend you're a boss, just to be a troll! All your haters will pay the toll!"
Something I came up with. Have a nice read!
EDIT: Goddammit, I can't read anything that isn't ryhmed correctly anymore!

Last edited:
Top Bottom