• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member 245254

I will do @PuffSmash a further informative favor and tell him that EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER who has appeared in gameplay has been SPECIFICALLY STATED to be non-playable. It has NEVER been left as "implied", except with Ridley. Even when it is heavily implied, such as Chrom's role as Final Smash, or Prince Sablé's role as obvious Assist Trophy, Nintendo has followed up afterward and specifically disconfirmed the character. With one exception, and only one exception. Ridley.

Zipzo seems to magically or conveniently forget that pretty important factor when discussing Ridley's teasing.
Another thing, the debut of Metal Face says hi. Boom. Argument dismantled.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Was Metal Face confirmed as a Boss on twitter ?
It's important to know that, since if it is real, then Ridley's chances will be higher than ever.
Else, I'm sadly convinced he'll just be a boss, again... And will be pretty sure that, as long as Sakurai leads the development, we won't see the Big Purple Pterodactyl in the game as playable.
As far as I know, it hasn't happened, so no.

If we go by this, then the Phantom Knight should have dismantled it long ago. Thing is, very little to no people thought that either of them were/are/whatever playable, thus removing the need for clarification. So I guess that's kind of a sorta reason. That and Metal Face has issues when it comes to being playable.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Why do you think this is substantial proof of his playability? You're just seeking out a pedantic but true detail and basing your entire assumption on it. The implication was much stronger for him being a boss than it was for him being playable, that's all I'm saying.
You are, however, arguing completely without evidence. Yes, the implication was strong. The problem is, it is only an implication. THERE HAVE BEEN NO OTHER CHARACTERS WHO HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH ONLY AN "IMPLIED" STATUS. Every single other character who has had a role "implied" has had a follow up statement by Nintendo confirming the role EXPLICITLY.

Your "implication" = "statement" position is absolutely ludicrous. Allow me to help you some.

Implied: Suggested without being directly or explicitly stated.

An "implication" is not, and (by definition) cannot be an explicit statement.

You said yourself. He was "implied" to be unplayable. However, taken in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY for your argument, this tells you NOTHING. Because there are no other examples of "implied" character status to compare to. You are dealing with a data pool of one. It is impossible to determine any sort of statistical conclusion from such a negligible data pool.

We have substantially more data indicating that non-playable characters are revealed to have a specific role every single time.

We also know that the only times an "implication" has been made and NOT followed up with an explicit description of the character's playability, it has resulted in the character being playable. Cases in point: Toon Link and Meta Knight.

Utterly untrue, and I thank you for not bothering to actually read my post.

EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER who has appeared in gameplay

D

Deleted member 245254

As far as I know, it hasn't happened, so no.

If we go by this, then the Phantom Knight should have dismantled it long ago. Thing is, very little to no people thought that either of them were/are/whatever playable, thus removing the need for clarification. So I guess that's kind of a sorta reason. That and Metal Face has issues when it comes to being playable.
That's kind of a bad case of picking and choosing, don't you think?

Zynux

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree:

Ridley has definitely been teased. Moreso as a boss. The problem lies with the ambiguity and reluctance on Nintendo's part to clarify his role for so long, yet seemingly have no problem for every other character that bites the dust and who's role was perceived as even more clear then Ridley's. Also my own personal theories on why teasing Ridley as a boss for this long is an asinine marketing decision...

Of course to be fair, Metal Face's recent tease is something to consider. We shall see if it's clarified sooner or later...

All in all, whether it means anything in the end or not: Shenanigans are afoot on the Pyrosphere.

Norfairic Shenanigans. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A character from a series we didn't even know was being represented until last Friday doesn't exactly have the same bearing as a character that they are aware people want/support, has been represented numerous times in the series, etc..

Furthermore CGI/voice clip make it a much different situation than gameplay, regardless of shadows being shown. As many have also pointed out, there's actually a reason Metal Face wouldn't be plausible to get downscaled/be playable. His ambiguity is more of a case of "we know he and this stage are from this game, but does this hint at him appearing on it?" It doesn't mean anything for or against us
Though that doesn't seem to stop it from being brought up every other page.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I will do you an informative favor and tell you that both "teases" we're implying he was a stage boss for the Pyrosphere. The PotD was of Pyrosphere when he said "an enemy from Samus's past may appear" and when he showed up in the direct Sakurai was literally saying "other bosses may show up too" as he flew by...on Pyrosphere.

A lot of people seem to magically or conveniently forget those pretty important factors when discussing Ridley's teasing.
So you're saying Sakurai is hyping us for Ridley to be the exact same thing as in Brawl? Yeah, effing exciting. Tease me more, Sakurai.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
So you're saying Sakurai is hyping us for Ridley to be the exact same thing as in Brawl? Yeah, effing exciting. Tease me more, Sakurai.
It's also possible Sakurai never intended to tease people with it and we just over-reacted.
I mean, it's possible in Japan people asked themselves when seeing the shadow of Ridley "Who is it ?" the same way people in Europe and US asked themselves "Who is it ?" when seeing the shadow of Metal Face.
At this point, with the roster looking like the final one and the lack of Ridley hints coming from Sakurai... I don't have much hopes left for Ridley...
Sakurai will probably never make him playable and that makes me sad.

The only "hope" I have left is him being a character that becomes downloadable once the WiiU version is out.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You are, however, arguing completely without evidence. Yes, the implication was strong. The problem is, it is only an implication. THERE HAVE BEEN NO OTHER CHARACTERS WHO HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH ONLY AN "IMPLIED" STATUS. Every single other character who has had a role "implied" has had a follow up statement by Nintendo confirming the role EXPLICITLY.
Except that all those characters were officially revealed by Nintendo. There was no ambiguity over who the character in question was, the ambiguity just surrounded what their role was.

Ridley has been 'teased' by Nintendo, so there is still meant to be ambiguity over who it is. It may obvious to the more hardcore fans on Smashboards, but to the non-Smashboards and non-hardcore Metroid fans (ie. the majority of the Smash playerbase) it isn't obvious.

I've always seen it as him clearly teasing a boss or a hazard, the tease/hype is just meant to be around who it is. The only thing that stops me from being completely certain that he's a boss or hazard is that he's apparently heavily requested in the West.

D

Deleted member 245254

A character from a series we didn't even know was being represented until last Friday doesn't exactly have the same bearing as a character that they are aware people want/support, has been represented numerous times in the series, etc..

Furthermore CGI/voice clip make it a much different situation than gameplay, regardless of shadows being shown. As many have also pointed out, there's actually a reason Metal Face wouldn't be plausible to get downscaled/be playable. His ambiguity is more of a case of "we know he and this stage are from this game, but does this hint at him appearing on it?" It doesn't mean anything for or against us
Though that doesn't seem to stop it from being brought up every other page.
I guess just see them as identical situations. I don't find Ridley's showing to be ambiguous and I doubt they planned it thinking it would be.

It's also weird how size scaling logic is only applied to Ridley but Metal Face? Oh no, too big.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
That's kind of a bad case of picking and choosing, don't you think?
Yes.

I guess just see them as identical situations. I don't find Ridley's showing to be ambiguous and I doubt they planned it thinking it would be.

It's also weird how size scaling logic is only applied to Ridley but Metal Face? Oh no, too big.
Metal Face is controlled by a human, it's a mech suit. Shrinking him down would mean shrinking the human down.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I can't remember. Was Ridley teased heavily in brawl?
He wasn't. Apparently, all he had going for him was his music being revealed, and a cloud in a cutscene. And the music could also been seen as a deconfirming factor.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I'm done with speculating at this point to be honest. In (less than?) 12 days we know Ridley's status for sure. Is he in? Is he out? There is NO point in discussing it anymore since both sides don't have 100% concrete proof. Let's wait 'till the days are over and nothing more/less.

Anyways since I'm in Europe for an internship I'll be playing here. I'm a competitive player and I'll be using Ridley (DHD and jiggs). So if you EU-guys and fellow space-pirats want to trade fcs; pm me! :D

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm done with speculating at this point to be honest. In (less than?) 12 days we know Ridley's status for sure. Is he in? Is he out? There is NO point in discussing it anymore since both sides don't have 100% concrete proof. Let's wait 'till the days are over and nothing more/less.
Even then you could argue that mayyyyyyyyyyybe (with extra "y" to express unlikelyhood) they are withholding characters and are going to introduce them later when the Wii U version is ready.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Why are people already using the "Metal Face has been hinted at, but he hasn't been clarified. It's the same as Ridley! They're bosses!" argument? Seriously, this is the first week since the Shulk video was even shown. Give it a few days and see if he's in a PotD or not before using him as an argument either way.
P.S.@Zipzo Trust me, we KNOW the points against Ridley. We've heard them all. The tease as a boss was heavily implied. That is a strong argument against Ridley. But that hearing it over and over again doesn't make it a better arguement. All we're trying to do now isto look at the pros and cons and hope for the best.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Even then you could argue that mayyyyyyyyyyybe (with extra "y" to express unlikelyhood) they are withholding characters and are going to introduce them later when the Wii U version is ready.
o lawd y it don stawp

No but for real, like, if he's not in the 3ds build I am going to focus on characters that are IN the game. There's a limit you know..

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
o lawd y it don stawp

No but for real, like, if he's not in the 3ds build I am going to focus on characters that are IN the game. There's a limit you know..
As much as I hope he is, if he isn't I'll probably do the same and just hope for the next Smash game being his debut as a playable character.

(Duck Hunt, you better be interesting >.<)

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
A lot of people seem to have the attitude that we should be expecting something because Sakurai didn't blatantly confirm Ridley as a stage hazard.

It's just as likely that Ridley is a stage hazard as he is playable. Just because we're set up for some kind of twist, doesn't mean it will come. We've got @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 and others trying to find patterns in character announcements; you might as well be reading the stars, brother. There's no predictability with Sakurai. There's no "formula" or "statistics" when it comes to showing off the game to the public; it's just a matter of his taste. Perhaps all he was thinking about the shadow was "new fans will wonder 'What could that be?!' while older fans will say 'I know who that is!' "

Although, I must admit that Sakurai has become decently aware of our expectations and how to play with them (see: ZSS tease, Palutena, Meta Knight, etc.) So the argument that he's purposely leading us on does hold some precedence.

But it's important to remember that both outcomes are equally likely. There's no making heads or tails of it now, so abandon your preconceptions on this topic and surrender yourself to the mystery! As a fellow Ridley supporter, I hope the best for our purple Pterosaur :142:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
A lot of people seem to have the attitude that we should be expecting something because Sakurai didn't blatantly confirm Ridley as a stage hazard.

It's just as likely that Ridley is a stage hazard as he is playable. Just because we're set up for some kind of twist, doesn't mean it will come. We've got @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 and others trying to find patterns in character announcements; you might as well be reading the stars, brother. There's no predictability with Sakurai. There's no "formula" or "statistics" when it comes to showing off the game to the public; it's just a matter of his taste. Perhaps all he was thinking about the shadow was "new fans will wonder 'What could that be?!' while older fans will say 'I know who that is!' "

Although, I must admit that Sakurai has become decently aware of our expectations and how to play with them (see: ZSS tease, Palutena, Meta Knight, etc.) So the argument that he's purposely leading us on does hold some precedence.

But it's important to remember that both outcomes are equally likely. There's no making heads or tails of it now, so abandon your preconceptions on this topic and surrender yourself to the mystery! As a fellow Ridley supporter, I hope the best for our purple Pterosaur :142:
B-But that pterosaur is a silvery blue! D:

Anyway, believe me, I've been a part of many mysteries (yes you may make comparisons to Shaggy from Scooby Doo, seeing as I have the beard as well), but this one is really trying my patience. It's good that it's going to end soon.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
B-But that pterosaur is a silvery blue! D:

Anyway, believe me, I've been a part of many mysteries (yes you may make comparisons to Shaggy from Scooby Doo, seeing as I have the beard as well), but this one is really trying my patience. It's good that it's going to end soon.
Update me, Shaggy, when will we hear of the final roster?

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Update me, Shaggy, when will we hear of the final roster?
Most likely in 12 days, the Japanese release. Maybe a day or so later, given the time it may take to unlock everyone.

There's also the possibility of the full roster being shown in that closed event thing, but I wouldn't hold out for it, I mean like, zoinks.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Most likely in 12 days, the Japanese release. Maybe a day or so later, given the time it may take to unlock everyone.

There's also the possibility of the full roster being shown in that closed event thing, but I wouldn't hold out for it, I mean like, zoinks.
They'll probably do the same they did with Brawl, on Japanese release they'll just update the site with hidden content.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't feel as though Meta-knight, ZSS, or Palutena are comparable.

Those were confirmed playable within a reasonable time, down to as little as merely seconds for ZSS.

Ridley hasn't been spoken a whiff of since the direct. That's months. That should be some kind of hint that there isn't anything special there, but to a lot of people it seems to be proof of some deeper meaning. "Reading the stars", as you said.

I don't find him to be special. He hasn't been clarified because it's not important and/or Sakurai thought it was OBVIOUS ENOUGH that he didn't need to.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I don't find him to be special. He hasn't been clarified because it's not important and/or Sakurai thought it was OBVIOUS ENOUGH that he didn't need to.
That's the issue though. Chrom wasn't special either, neither was Prince Sablé. Both were deconfirmed through twitter (I don't know exactly in Chrom's case though, but the medium isn't relevant either way). Ridley has a pretty well known large fanbase (and with pretty well known I mean meme spawning), and even though the Japanese don't really care for him they are still aware that there is a huge popularity for him in the west. So, if you want to keep confusion at a minimum, it would only be logical to clarify the role of a character whose fanbase is pretty large. Else you get a large amounts of confusion.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

Those were confirmed playable within a reasonable time, down to as little as merely seconds for ZSS.

Ridley hasn't been spoken a whiff of since the direct. That's months. That should be some kind of hint that there isn't anything special there, but to a lot of people it seems to be proof of some deeper meaning. "Reading the stars", as you said.

Hate to bring it up again, but in Japan, isn't Shulk like their Ridley? Very few people care for him here in the west, and yet he was added to avoid, as SmilingMad said, confusion. And while people may say "Oh he wasn't hinted like Ridley was!", and to that I say, Ridley's been in existence longer, with a history in Smash from the very beginning. He's gone through all possible positions (aside from Pokeballs as that wouldn't make sense), he's been in the background, an assist trophy if you count early development, and a boss. Twice. In the same game. There's very little for him to be at this point other than a playable character.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hate to bring it up again, but in Japan, isn't Shulk like their Ridley? Very few people care for him here in the west, and yet he was added to avoid, as SmilingMad said, confusion. And while people may say "Oh he wasn't hinted like Ridley was!", and to that I say, Ridley's been in existence longer, with a history in Smash from the very beginning. He's gone through all possible positions (aside from Pokeballs as that wouldn't make sense), he's been in the background, an assist trophy if you count early development, and a boss. Twice. In the same game. There's very little for him to be at this point other than a playable character.
Funnily enough, Shulk has been hinted at by the voice actor himself. Someone went and asked him if he couldn't give them a subtle hint on Shulk being in Sm4sh, upon which he "liked" the message. And lo and behold, guess who was included in that one legit leak and subsequently revealed through a trailer? Why can't Ridley have a voice actor, dangit!

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Funnily enough, Shulk has been hinted at by the voice actor himself. Someone went and asked him if he couldn't give them a subtle hint on Shulk being in Sm4sh, upon which he "liked" the message. And lo and behold, guess who was included in that one legit leak and subsequently revealed through a trailer? Why can't Ridley have a voice actor, dangit!
Y'know, I completely forgot about that message from the voice actor.

But for Ridley... Quick! Get Gilbert Gottfried on the line! Or at the very least Brian Blessed!

Darkraid

Smash Champion

I'm sorry but if there isn't anything special, then why didn't Sakurai straight out deconfirm him like other chars?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how big Ridley's fanbase was in the Brawl era? Was it about on par with other fanbases in terms of size?

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm sorry but if there isn't anything special, then why didn't Sakurai straight out deconfirm him like other chars?
Because there's no book full of rules that says that he has to, and it's silly that you're trying to apply patterns to Sakurai.

He is saving him to be a Wii U Exclusive boss, and he thinks we are going to jump for joy.
Have you considered it isn't his goal to make you jump for joy at the prospect of fighting Ridley on Pyrosphere? Maybe it's just supposed to be "cool"?

Last edited by a moderator:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Does anyone know how big Ridley's fanbase was in the Brawl era? Was it about on par with other fanbases in terms of size?
It could very well have been so. My estimate is that it was just a bit below Mewtwo, which was fairly large back then, but as Darkraid said, it's gone up exponentially since then.

D

Deleted member 245254

It could very well have been so. My estimate is that it was just a bit below Mewtwo, which was fairly large back then, but as Darkraid said, it's gone up exponentially since then.
Despite the size of this thread, I really think you're over-estimating the size of the Ridley fan-base.

A thread with a lot of pages just means lots of discussion, not lots of fans. Also, Smashboards represents so very little of the overall Smash-base.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pretty much exactly the same in size, only difference is that everyone who was as popular/more popular than him are already in.

Top Bottom