• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I think the best way to showcase Ridley is a villain trailer. Side him up with Bowser and Ganondorf. Do a 3v3 with their respective protagonists.

Siding him with another newcomer will lower the value of both newcomers. Keep him as the only newcomer. That will generate the power Ridley has.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I feel like if the Wii U characters theory is true, we're gonna deal with a whole lot of ****.

3DS version will come out, Ridley will seemingly be disconfirmed. Then we will get a Ridley reveal in early November and be shocked.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I feel like if the Wii U characters theory is true, we're gonna deal with a whole lot of ****.

3DS version will come out, Ridley will seemingly be disconfirmed. Then we will get a Ridley reveal in early November and be shocked.
"Wii U characters theory." Wanna explain that to me? I thought both versions were going to have the same roster. As stated by Sakurai. Are you saying that the 3DS won't have the full roster available until the Wii U version releases?

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
If it weren't for being teased as I boss I'd feel the same, but that was just cruel of Sakurai. I'm tired of seeing comments like, "What's with all the hate for Chrom? Well, you want Ridley so I shouldn't be surprised." And "Maybe Sakurai's trying to let you down easy." Or worst of all comments saying he's the exception.
Anyway, why is 'Bowser can change size' a valid argument? Ridley changes size every game, but that doesn't matter since he's obviously the exception.
You're Right, Ridley is constantly changing size in the Metroid series, yes always bigger than Samus, but it varies on how big, going from 3 times as big to nearly 6. And, fun fact, Brawl Ridley is one of the biggest Ridleys, meaning he was scaled up to be bigger than his usual size (which is roughly 2-3 times as big as samus). Also something people tend to over look is that Bowser is always bigger than Mario, and he is only shown in his smash size when he is PLAYABLE. In the main games he's always bigger, but in the games where he is playable, only then he is slightly taller than mario. So why Can't Ridley be the same, only downscaled when playable?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You're Right, Ridley is constantly changing size in the Metroid series, yes always bigger than Samus, but it varies on how big, going from 3 times as big to nearly 6. And, fun fact, Brawl Ridley is one of the biggest Ridleys, meaning he was scaled up to be bigger than his usual size (which is roughly 2-3 times as big as samus). Also something people tend to over look is that Bowser is always bigger than Mario, and he is only shown in his smash size when he is PLAYABLE. In the main games he's always bigger, but in the games where he is playable, only then he is slightly taller than mario. So why Can't Ridley be the same, only downscaled when playable?
Because (most unfortunately) we have yet to get Metroid RPG, where Samus, Ridley, Kraid, and a Metroid team up to go save the world.

Nintendo, if you're listening, there is money to be made there.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Because (most unfortunately) we have yet to get Metroid RPG, where Samus, Ridley, Kraid, and a Metroid team up to go save the world.

I think Kraid can take a hike. He's too big.....

Anyways. Three is the magic number when it comes to RPG's.

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
I've never REALLY played metroid but I'm 100% supporter of Ridley just because he's cool looking really ha. I have a question.

What is this tease (multiple?) that people are always going on about? I missed it and haven't seen anyone directly discuss it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I've never REALLY played metroid but I'm 100% supporter of Ridley just because he's cool looking really ha. I have a question.

What is this tease (multiple?) that people are always going on about? I missed it and haven't seen anyone directly discuss it.
Post 2 on the first page.

Essentially, it's the scene where Ridley's shadow (and a fraction of his wing) was shown on the battlefield during the Nintendo Direct over a year ago.

However, there has been no follow up, nor any comment specifying his status as boss or playable since.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

The tease that started it all: "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…"

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was so mad that Shulk's trailer ending with Metal Face's shadow towering over Shulk.

IT SHOULD HAVE ended after that, when the Haleberd's shadow towers over Metal Face's shadow.

Then, after that, Ridley's shadow towers over the Haleberd's shadow.

It would be the ultimate shadowception.

We would need Scott Steiner to use his Wrestling Math logic for this shadow math.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I was so mad that Shulk's trailer ending with Metal Face's shadow towering over Shulk.

IT SHOULD HAVE ended after that, when the Haleberd's shadow towers over Metal Face's shadow.

Then, after that, Ridley's shadow towers over the Haleberd's shadow.

It would be the ultimate shadowception.

We would need Scott Steiner to use his Wrestling Math logic for this shadow math.
Implying that Ridley is larger than the Halberd.

That made me giggle awfully hard for a few seconds. Best Ridley trailer idea I've ever read. The mental image of this scenario is just too perfect.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Would be great to recreate Classic Metroid with Samus vs. Ridley having a Mother Brain/Metroid assist helper against Samus.

Hey, that could be an Event Match!

Explains why this thread and it's inhabitants keeps breaking out of containment despite numerous lockings. :awesome:
Ouch, lol.

Samus should get some kind of buff of her own in that then so it won't be too easy when you got Mother to use as an assist. I thought event matches weren't gonna be on the 3DS version though? We'll be lucky if they even return on the Wii U then.

Has this been posted? This guy claims that the PAX thing was them being shown the starting roster and a Ridley trailer with Dr.Mario that will be shown to the public on September 13th:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69977258?page=1

I'll believe it when I see it, good job we don't have to wait long to see if he's legit.
First we post a bunch of evident fake claims from 4chan to see if they end up being right, and now gamefaqs? What have we devolved to?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Actually Ridley vs Dr. Mario does make sense if they make a Dark Pit vs Mewtwo trailer. Clones!

Hope this trailer is true. We've been teased long enough.

Zynux

Smash Lord
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a not-so-new stage that we've already shown--the Pyrosphere from Mertroid: Other M! Yes, an enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second on the 3DS version as well! The smaller resolutions of the 3DS make it more difficult to see his shadow..."

SAKUUUUUURAAAAIIIII!

:yeahboi:

inb4 Ridley is revealed in POTD and all dreams crushed

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132

Do I smell a Paper Metroid series? With Ridley being Kammy Koopa's role. It would definitely boost his popularity among casual players.
But then everyone would want Paper Samus for Smash6.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Barring that one pinball game that wasn't too hard to make, Metroid's just one of those IPs Nintendo sits on too much to care about giving some kind of neat spinoff. In some ways though that may be for the best.

@ Zynux Zynux Ridley's lasted this long without being in a PoTD... With only 10 more left to show before release in Japan, him being shown in one now is questionable at best. Please don't let that bite me in the ass later.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
You know, now that I think about it. If we were to get Playabley and Bossley it would make sense for him to be as small as he is. Seeing one Ridley looking teeny tiny compared to another Ridley would be quite weird. However Other Mley/Roidley is most likely going to be the playable Ridley and the ONLY Ridley present.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
and as expected, the new pic of the day has nothing to do with ridley :]

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Good news for Ridley fans.
Rikki is confirmed to be both an assist trophy and part of a Final Smash.
In short- dual roles are confirmed to be relevant. Ridley could very well be a boss and playable, depending on if he's used on that stage or not.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
and as expected, the new pic of the day has nothing to do with ridley :]
But it confirmed that one character can have two roles - Riki is an assist trophy as well as a Final Smash.

Go crazy. :awesome:

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I mean if you guys really want to grasp at straws (when don't we?), Hammer Bro/Bullet Bill/R.O.B.s already proved that forever ago.

@ Zynux Zynux Ridley's lasted this long without being in a PoTD... With only 10 more left to show before release in Japan, him being shown in one now is questionable at best. Please don't let that bite me in the *** later.
Regardless of when it's shown, Ridley is going to bite everyone in the ass at some point.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
I mean if you guys really want to grasp at straws (when don't we?), Hammer Bro/Bullet Bill/R.O.B.s already proved that forever ago.
To be fair, there are cononically multiple R.O.B.s Hammer Bros and Bullet Bills. There's only one Riki. Well.... Not anymore.

Zynux

Smash Lord
@ Zynux Zynux Ridley's lasted this long without being in a PoTD... With only 10 more left to show before release in Japan, him being shown in one now is questionable at best. Please don't let that bite me in the *** later.
Oh, I agree. Hell, for the whole week it may be nothing but Shulk pictures. I'm interested if Metal Face is elaborated on though; it could bode well for Ridley...

Good news for Ridley fans.
Rikki is confirmed to be both an assist trophy and part of a Final Smash.
In short- dual roles are confirmed to be relevant. Ridley could very well be a boss and playable, depending on if he's used on that stage or not.
This is actually quite intriguing.

Dual roles? Fellow Space Pirates, this gives us more ammo to do what we do best: Straw-grasp some more! Boss/Playable Ridley confirmed! :troll:

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
At the very least I would hope this adds more reasoning against the "Assist Trophies/characters appearing in a Final Smash/Bosses can't be DLC" argument.

Sakurai just seems to add whatever fits, and whatever seems the most fanservice-y. Rules also get changed as the situation demands.

Not that I think we need/are getting DLC

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I will do you an informative favor and tell you that both "teases" we're implying he was a stage boss for the Pyrosphere. The PotD was of Pyrosphere when he said "an enemy from Samus's past may appear" and when he showed up in the direct Sakurai was literally saying "other bosses may show up too" as he flew by...on Pyrosphere.

A lot of people seem to magically or conveniently forget those pretty important factors when discussing Ridley's teasing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I will do you an informative favor and tell you that both "teases" we're implying he was a stage boss for the Pyrosphere. The PotD was of Pyrosphere when he said "an enemy from Samus's past may appear" and when he showed up in the direct Sakurai was literally saying "other bosses may show up too" as he flew by...on Pyrosphere.

A lot of people seem to magically or conveniently forget those pretty important factors when discussing Ridley's teasing.
I will do @ PuffSmash PuffSmash a further informative favor and tell him that EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER who has appeared in gameplay has been SPECIFICALLY STATED to be non-playable. It has NEVER been left as "implied", except with Ridley. Even when it is heavily implied, such as Chrom's role as Final Smash, or Prince Sablé's role as obvious Assist Trophy, Nintendo has followed up afterward and specifically disconfirmed the character. With one exception, and only one exception. Ridley.

Zipzo seems to magically or conveniently forget that pretty important factor when discussing Ridley's teasing.

D

Deleted member 245254

I will do @ PuffSmash PuffSmash a further informative favor and tell him that EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHARACTER who has appeared in gameplay has been SPECIFICALLY STATED to be non-playable. It has NEVER been left as "implied", except with Ridley. Even when it is heavily implied, such as Chrom's role as Final Smash, or Prince Sablé's role as obvious Assist Trophy, Nintendo has followed up afterward and specifically disconfirmed the character. With one exception, and only one exception. Ridley.

Zipzo seems to magically or conveniently forget that pretty important factor when discussing Ridley's teasing.
Why do you think this is substantial proof of his playability? You're just seeking out a pedantic but true detail and basing your entire assumption on it. The implication was much stronger for him being a boss than it was for him being playable, that's all I'm saying.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Was Metal Face confirmed as a Boss on twitter ?
It's important to know that, since if it is real, then Ridley's chances will be higher than ever.
Else, I'm sadly convinced he'll just be a boss, again... And will be pretty sure that, as long as Sakurai leads the development, we won't see the Big Purple Pterodactyl in the game as playable.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Oh, I agree. Hell, for the whole week it may be nothing but Shulk pictures. I'm interested if Metal Face is elaborated on though; it could bode well for Ridley...

This is actually quite intriguing.

Dual roles? Fellow Space Pirates, this gives us more ammo to do what we do best: Straw-grasp some more! Boss/Playable Ridley confirmed! :troll:
FIRMLY GRASP IT

But I don't think that being an assist trophy and part of a Final Smash is quite the same as being a Boss and a playable fighter.

Top Bottom