• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not sure what to think right now. Somethin tells me this won't help with my occasional insomnia though till Friday or whenever we learn what Ridley's role will be.

I'm not so sure we'll learn any time soon. What happened to all those people who were sure Ridley would be unlockable/kept secret until the end? lol

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dunno. I don't think I was necessarily one of those people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The suspense is killing me....

Speculator

Smash Ace
I know it's unpopular not to want Ridley here so I won't go into too much detail, but I'm almost certain this means he's a stage hazard.

Sakurai would be an evil man teasing Ridley like this, only to reveal that he's a stage hazard.
I think this is effectively his way of letting you know early on that he's not going to be playable. In the instance of every new character reveal Sakurai has come straight out with it, no teasing, no showing the stages beforehand. I'm not saying he can't do what he likes but in terms of precedent, I think he likes jumping a newcomer on people without warning as opposed to showing the home stage first and sort of ruining the reveal in advance.

It's tough to look clearly when you've wanted a character for months - or probably years in the case of most Ridley supporters. I was a big Balloon Fighter fan so I was pretty disappointed when I saw he's just a part of Villager's moveset. Although I've accepted his essential deconfirmation, there are people who cling to the hope that he might still be included.

Don't be in too much anticipation for a character reveal is all I'm saying. You'll only multiply your disappointment if he doesn't make it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know it's unpopular not to want Ridley here so I won't go into too much detail, but I'm almost certain this means he's a stage hazard.

I think this is effectively his way of letting you know early on that he's not going to be playable. In the instance of every new character reveal Sakurai has come straight out with it, no teasing, no showing the stages beforehand. I'm not saying he can't do what he likes but in terms of precedent, I think he likes jumping a newcomer on people without warning as opposed to showing the home stage first and sort of ruining the reveal in advance.

It's tough to look clearly when you've wanted a character for months - or probably years in the case of most Ridley supporters. I was a big Balloon Fighter fan so I was pretty disappointed when I saw he's just a part of Villager's moveset. Although I've accepted his essential deconfirmation, there are people who cling to the hope that he might still be included.

Don't be in too much anticipation for a character reveal is all I'm saying. You'll only multiply your disappointment if he doesn't make it.
We don't talk to unpopular people in here

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
If Sakurai makes Ridley a stage hazard I'm going to have to punch something.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah. Based on evidence so far it (sadly) seems more likely at the moment that he'll be just a stage hazard. If this was still pre-Brawl I would probably be all in denial, but I know that all that wishful thinking can only get one so far.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
No showing of the stages beforehand? Don't we have essentially a Punch-Out! stage just waiting there for a Little Mac confirmation?

edit: and yea, I'm bracing myself for a stage hazard, but ... a girl can dream ... and with gamescom happening in Germany, it'd be a perfect announcement to show love to western fans.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No showing of the stages beforehand? Don't we have essentially a Punch-Out! stage just waiting there for a Little Mac confirmation?

edit: and yea, I'm bracing myself for a stage hazard, but ... a girl can dream ... and with gamescom happening in Germany, it'd be a perfect announcement to show love to western fans.
There's no Nintendo Press Conference.

Just saying.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Sakurai isn't like that"

Deja vu to the max. lol
Yeah, now that you mention it, Ridley's music making it onto the dojo without him being a character did hurt.

Oh crap. Do you think there'd be a new reveal for Gamescom?
It's possible considering Nintendo is there with a bunch of demos.

Why do people keep saying Friday?
The announcement of Olimar and I think WFT too. Luigi was of course not revealed a Friday because he was on the NIntendo Direct. Just grasping at straws with that really.

I know it's unpopular not to want Ridley here so I won't go into too much detail, but I'm almost certain this means he's a stage hazard
If he was refering to Ridley as a stage hazard then why wouldn't he just outright show him instead of holding him out? Yes, it's not like Sakurai to tease us like this, but he hasn't really had the opportunity to drop little hints like these before. The Brawl dojo was only about confirmations, here he just drops little texts, and this is obviously a hint towards something. Of course I'm ready to face giant dissapointment, it's happened once before, I've been open to taking it in the balls for quite a while now.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would think Ridley is too violent and would get banned in Germany.

Speaking of girls dreaming, I think I'll go pass out now.
Two minutes before Sakurai updates with Ridley's newcomer page.

Speculator

Smash Ace
If he was refering to Ridley as a stage hazard then why wouldn't he just outright show him instead of holding him out?
That's the thing, I'm almost certain that that would be more of a problem if he was a playable character than a stage hazard. If he was playable then he would want to come right out and show him, but teasing a neat extra feature of a stage doesn't seem too outrageous. It's already sort of happened with the gradual Pilotwings pics.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I think all things considered it's just impossible to know what Sakurai thinks. The guy has definitely proven himself to be quite a troll, and until he does things it's damn near impossible to predict them.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think all things considered it's just impossible to know what Sakurai thinks. The guy has definitely proven himself to be quite a troll, and until he does things it's damn near impossible to predict them.
I can certainly agree with that. But there's no harm in making a few guesses as to how he might be going about things.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's the thing, I'm almost certain that that would be more of a problem if he was a playable character than a stage hazard. If he was playable then he would want to come right out and show him, but teasing a neat extra feature of a stage doesn't seem too outrageous. It's already sort of happened with the gradual Pilotwings pics.
I honestly think the message could refer either way.It makes little sense to not just announce a stage hazard, one of the most prominent features of a stage, right away, they even did that with the Yellow Devil too (assuming he really is a stage hazard.) But on the other hand, what you say is also a possible situation. As of right now we can do nothing but wait really. Problem is that right now I can't take much more waiting :cry:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So basically Sakurai is trying to tease us with Ridley exactly as he did in Melee AGAIN.
He's so cynical.

Well, goodbye Ridley.
Maybe next time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So, if Ridley's a stage hazard, does that mean he'll have even less a role than he did in Brawl, with filling 2 out of the 6 boss slots? Even if Ridley wasn't playable again you'd figure Sakurai would at least somehow expand on what he did with him in Brawl, rather than simply pull a DoA Dimensions with the character.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So, if Ridley's a stage hazard, does that mean he'll have even less a role than he did in Brawl, with filling 2 out of the 6 boss slots? Even if Ridley wasn't playable again you'd figure Sakurai would at least somehow expand on what he did with him in Brawl, rather than simply pull a DoA Dimensions with the character.
Well a stage hazard is a bigger role than a boss if you ask me, since multiplayer is obviously more prominent than the single player mode in Smash Bros.

Edum Bot

Smash Rookie
Man Sakurai is such a troll. He's gonna tease us with Ridley again. Because this is the 2nd time now, we're all gonna think like "maybe this time" and in the end, we'll be disappointed again.

That guy is unpredictable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bosses aren't guaranteed to return, even if Sakurai loves his Boss Rush modes I have a hard time seeing them coming back without an SSE-like Adventure Mode, and even then I wouldn't count on seeing the same bosses again. To be fair, one of the only things Ridley hasn't been outside of a character in Smash Bros is a stage hazard, even if he's been in a stage before, only other thing is Assist Trophy, and Ridley really isn't the type that'd assist anyone but Mother Brain, though it was considered at one point of course.

So basically Sakurai is trying to tease us with Ridley exactly as he did in Melee AGAIN.
He's so cynical.

Well, goodbye Ridley.
Maybe next time.
I wouldn't give up hope yet, though this feels awfully familiar to Ridley's theme on the Brawl dojo.

Speculator

Smash Ace
If the stage is popular, at least you'll get to see him more often.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
sakurai at gamescon: "ladies and gentlemen, introducing the newest smash character and metroid rep, ANTHONY HIGGS!"
"Also introducing, his stage, which includes Ridley as a hazard!" :troll:
And yes, I made an account just to post that. Hello.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
sakurai at gamescon: "ladies and gentlemen, introducing the newest smash character and metroid rep, ANTHONY HIGGS!"

Welcome aboard.

I wonder though... If Ridley is confirmed as a stage hazard (Which is still pretty cool) will this thread be locked, or renamed to Ridley: The world's most badass stage hazard?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Welcome!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Reading that quote over and over I'm getting the vibe that he's referring to him as a stage hazard more and more sadly, and just holding out Ridley's actual appearance for another pic of the day. It makes me sad, I'm probably undergoing some form of "The 7 stages of super-excited doubt" or some **** like that, I'm getting very doubtful now though.

I was sure I wouldn't get this worried and excited about things this time around, but I can't help it I guess. Problem for me is that there's no other newcomers I'd be genuinly excited to see, even my reaction to Mega Man, my second most wanted character, was just "Yeah! Cool!" but not more than that, it'd be sad if the character I'd be the most interested in this time around would be a veteran, would really kill my hype compared to Brawl where there were so many awesome new characters. The only character left that'd create some form of hype for me would be Ridley, and rest assured he'd be the one and only thing that would make me more excited for this game than I was for Brawl.

Either way, blasting this on repeat for good luck

Welcome! Gotta say, your post gave me the kind of laugh that I needed right now, thanks for that ;)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Lol what if the next day sakurai reveals that meta/omega/Toon Ridley Is a stage hazard, sinks everyone's hopes, but then when the game comes out, regular Ridley Is a secret playable character.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I remember people said something similar about a psychic boy with a red hat.

And then he was all like.. :ness:

But really, all these hints basically say the opposite to me: Ridley will indeed be playable.

Ridley was slightly teased at with his appearance on Zebes in Smash 64, more teased at in his trailer appearance in Melee, more teased at with his Norfair stage in Brawl (although Sakurai refused to mention him), and well... now Sakurai is just flat out bringing him up... but without showing him.

Sakurai has never charged head-forward like this before.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Then f*ck him and his evil mindgames. YOU DON'T DO THIS TO PEOPLE! ><

I almost feel like if he revealed Ridley as a stage hazard, he should reveal another newcomer just to lower the chances he'll receive a flood of hate and backlash.

I just want something dammit, my mind can't take this.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
SmashChu... have you come to comfort me.

Despite knowing Sakurai's mad mindgame skills, still can't help but feel he's hinting at a stage hazard. That is the way it reads.

EVERYONE. STAY STRONG!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what's going through Sakurai's mind.

Either it's, "Oh, it's gonna be **** storm" or "The teasing will pay off" or...
:troll::088::troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He's torturing us. He knows it.
I would expect he would know Ridley's absence from Brawl was rather infamous. So then he would know exactly how to play us like this... But at the same time, this kind of thing would line up with him simply not knowing as well, lol.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it be awesome if this just led to the reveal of R.O.B. as a returning veteran? As much salt as that would be in the scars of my heart, it would definitely elicit a laugh or two.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Luigi's Challenger Approaching banner is gone for good now, it's not even in the site's code anymore. **** is going down...

Top Bottom