• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm genuinely sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's up with this?

Apparently All-Star was shown in a Japanese commercial, but there's no Ridley in sight for the 1985-1986 section. Then again, Pit isn't on there either, so I have no idea how this is supposed to be organized.
Not only Pit, but Palutena and R.O.B. aren't there, so I don't think that means much for Ridley.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm genuinely sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's up with this?

Apparently All-Star was shown in a Japanese commercial, but there's no Ridley in sight for the 1985-1986 section. Then again, Pit isn't on there either, so I have no idea how this is supposed to be organized.
You said it, Pit isn't there.

Also, Nintendo could have modified it so no unnanounced characters appear.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
The press conference starts in an hour.
Someone find a live text news source, FAST
I can't wait to see that darn trailer.
(I'd rather actually see just a trailer with Ridley instead of a text conformation)
Maybe I'll save my butt and check the smash bros channel ever so often.

I don't think they would show unannounced newcomers in an advert.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
(I'd rather actually see just a trailer with Ridley instead of a text conformation)
Really, anything would be fine. Anything to relieve me of the constant fear of Ridley being deconfirmed.
GameXplain might be tweeting stuff, so you could follow that.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
American announcement confirmed!
Source?
So... Shulk was revealed... The "last announced newcomer" was between Shulk and Ridley... Where art thou, Ridley?
I know you didn't mean it as in the last trailer, but didn't Sakurai say after the Robin/Lucina trailer, "We are coming down on the last trailers? This might mean that our last trailer... is OUR last trailer.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
wait what do you guys mean he could be reviled today? whats going on? why are you guys hyped and not arguing agents it? Something is up!
Nintendo is hosting a closed round table press conference at PAX (I'm MURICA)
Shulk was revealed in a Japan only direct.

Shulk was in Japan's top 5.
Ridley is in the west's top 5.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Slow down there bucko, Hope is always good, but remember Ridley isn't guaranteed. So just remember to keep your expectations realistic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Remember guys, Sakurai has been present at every newcomer announcement that has been outside a Direct, I think it's a safe bet to say he isn't at PAX since it's NoA who hosts stuff over there, and likewise we shouldn't be expecting anything other than your typical press banter.

wait what do you guys mean he could be reviled today? whats going on? why are you guys hyped and not arguing agents it? Something is up!
Basically there's a closed media event/possible roundtable happening within the hour and people think we might get a character reveal like Pac-Man. Since Shulk was shown in a Japanese Direct earlier we think that because Ridley is such a requested character in the west like Shulk was in Japan that we may get Ridley at this event due to it being in America.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Remember guys, Sakurai has been present at every newcomer announcement that has been outside a Direct, I think it's a safe bet to say he isn't at PAX since it's NoA who hosts stuff over there, and likewise we shouldn't be expecting anything other than your typical press banter.
A character has never been revealed in a region exclusive direct before.
We totally aren't getting shulk .

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A character has never been revealed in a region exclusive direct before.
We totally aren't getting shulk .
Optimism is good and all, but just because one unexpected thing happens doesn't mean it'll carry over to the next thing. In fact, Shulk's recent announcement makes it even more likely we won't see any new character.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
alright. here me out on this. remember that one leak on 4chan some guy on reddit had the info of? it mentioned shulk having one attack that does more damage when hit from behind. in the trailer for him, he has a move called backslash that is likely to do more damage from behind. he also mentioned shulk having a counter-like move, which he has. that leak also mentioned that ridley is in the game and talked about his moveset. because of what he said about shulk was right, im starting to actually believe that the leak is real

micstar615

Smash Ace
alright. here me out on this. remember that one leak on 4chan some guy on reddit had the info of? it mentioned shulk having one attack that does more damage when hit from behind. in the trailer for him, he has a move called backslash that is likely to do more damage from behind. he also mentioned shulk having a counter-like move, which he has. that leak also mentioned that ridley is in the game and talked about his moveset. because of what he said about shulk was right, im starting to actually believe that the leak is real
Is that the guy who said Ridley is unlocked by playing on pyrosphere?

Can you provide a link to that leak please? Was it the one with Isabelle as a character? Because that pretty much killed that leak.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yeah, that guy also got the final smash and other aspects of the game wrong. Nope, sadly not a real leaker.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Really, anything would be fine. Anything to relieve me of the constant fear of Ridley being deconfirmed.
GameXplain might be tweeting stuff, so you could follow that.
Derrick from GameXplain live-tweeted the panel where Pac-Man was announced, so you could follow him. I don't know if he'll live tweet this one, but he might.

Derrick live-tweeting the roundtable:

I think you have a better bet going to Derrick's twitter than the official GameXplain twitter, because, from my experience last time, Derrick tweets it all out a lot faster than Andre does.

Remember that we have no proof that Ridley (or anyone) will be revealed at PAX, so don't hype it up too much. Take everything with a grain of salt.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Is that the guy who said Ridley is unlocked by playing on pyrosphere?
i think he said something along the line of if ridley kills the one in the lead with his stage-hazard move, he joins in as a cpu and is unlocked. he also said u can unlock him by playing classic mode 10 times with samus or ZSS

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to believe Ridley is in the game because a "leaker" said so.
This whole "one of Japan's most wanted in Japan and Western most wanted in West." might be Ridley's last chance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He just stole those things from the Ninka leak which stated the same. He got other things wrong, so it's worth discarding that leak.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Derrick from GameXplain live-tweeted the panel where Pac-Man was announced, so you could follow him. I don't know if he'll live tweet this one, but he might.

Derrick live-tweeting the roundtable:

I think you have a better bet going to Derrick's twitter than the official GameXplain twitter, because, from my experience last time, Derrick tweets it all out a lot faster than Andre does.

Remember that we have no proof that Ridley (or anyone) will be revealed at PAX, so don't hype it up too much. Take everything with a grain of salt.
Now is the time.
Today we raid K-2L

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That Ninja/whatever leaks (one that said that Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley and someone else i don't remember is playable) is a lot more believable - it predicted that Shulk will be able to use special modes to change his attributes like speed, attack power, etc and that there is 5 modes. It was confirmed to be true. I still won't trust it too much.
Nintendo DID accidentaly leak a character recently, although it wasn't Ridley, it WAS a villain
Was it that much of a surprise for anyone? Who ever worried about Ganondorf not being playable in this game except for idiots of course?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ok, confession time. I want to tell you all the main reason why I support Ridley for ssb4. I'll put it in spoilers because it might not be a story a lot of people want to know.

Yeah, I think Ridley is cool, and deserves it and all that, but the reason I want him in is more for my brother. He was dead set that Ridley was going to be in brawl, and at the time I was a toobiggot. The last time I ever talked to him, he told me Ridley would definately be in brawl, and I laughed at him and said it would never happen. He then told me "we'll see." and then he left in the car and died in a crash. Later on, I was diagnosed with a disease called Pemphigus. It's not one most people have heard of, so look it up if you must, but I warn you it is fairly disturbing. You all can just say "well, let's just hope he's in smash 5" if he gets deconfirmed, but I will never get to play smash 5. I'll be lucky if I make it to next summer. When this thread convinced me Ridley was viable, I decided I wanted him in for my brother. He never got to see Ridley in smash, and died believing he was already in, and that being the last thing we talked about, I want to see Ridley in smash before I go as well. Ridley in smash isn't a joke to me. That's why I hate smug detractors who simply laugh at the idea and move on, becuase that's the last thing I did with my brother. I laughed and moved on, and it hurts to see others making the same mistake. It's why I hate stupid memes making fun of Ridley fans, why I hate all these tricks and mindgames, and why he is my most wanted character in smash. I want to make sure he's in so I can tell my brother he was right in the afterlife. This is all I want from smash bros. 4. Think of it as a final request of sorts. Here's hoping he finally makes it this time.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
What if he discusses about Ridley (hypothetically if he is there) in a reveal trailer but isn't actually present? I mean it makes sense for him to go to E3 even for how busy he is, but for PAX? Not saying I think it's likely, but it would really be nice if Ridley is playable and shown today.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Ok, confession time. I want to tell you all the main reason why I support Ridley for ssb4. I'll put it in spoilers because it might not be a story a lot of people want to know.

Yeah, I think Ridley is cool, and deserves it and all that, but the reason I want him in is more for my brother. He was dead set that Ridley was going to be in brawl, and at the time I was a toobiggot. The last time I ever talked to him, he told me Ridley would definately be in brawl, and I laughed at him and said it would never happen. He then told me "we'll see." and then he left in the car and died in a crash. Later on, I was diagnosed with a disease called Pemphigus. It's not one most people have heard of, so look it up if you must, but I warn you it is fairly disturbing. You all can just say "well, let's just hope he's in smash 5" if he gets deconfirmed, but I will never get to play smash 5. I'll be lucky if I make it to next summer. When this thread convinced me Ridley was viable, I decided I wanted him in for my brother. He never got to see Ridley in smash, and died believing he was already in, and that being the last thing we talked about, I want to see Ridley in smash before I go as well. Ridley in smash isn't a joke to me. That's why I hate smug detractors who simply laugh at the idea and move on, becuase that's the last thing I did with my brother. I laughed and moved on, and it hurts to see others making the same mistake. It's why I hate stupid memes making fun of Ridley fans, why I hate all these tricks and mindgames, and why he is my most wanted character in smash. I want to make sure he's in so I can tell my brother he was right in the afterlife. This is all I want from smash bros. 4. Think of it as a final request of sorts. Here's hoping he finally makes it this time.
That's sad to hear, I really hope Ridley is in even more just for you and your brother.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
OK

Could somebody PLEASE link where the time for the Smash conference thing was "confirmed"?

OFFICIAL confirmation.

Not optimism :p

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010

That was touching. Lets hope for the best to the space pirate dragon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
IDEA FOR B MOVES AND CUSTOMS!
B1 Ridley pulls his head back and flames are seen, Ridley is charging a fireball! Ridley is able to tilt his head to aim and when the B button is released, a fireball is spat out!
B2 The same, only spitting 3 small fireballs and Ridley is able to jump when using the move
B3 More startup lag, no aiming, but it pushes enemies back and propels Ridley in the opposite direction he is facing
Side 1 Ridley rushes to the enemy and his entire body is a hitbox, pretty fast and can be tilted upwards or downwards
Side 2 Longer distance, but instead of tackling, Ridley grabs the first foe he collides with, air grabs work in this way aswell!
Side 3 Less range but more power!
Up 1 Ridley jumps quickly and can fly freely for a few seconds, the jump has a hitbox
Up 2 The same as 1, but no damage traded for longer flight and a slight speed boost
Up 3 Wolf's Up B
Down 1 Deep Breathing, and if it works, Ridley gains his black armour, it makes him hit slightly harder, super armour and reflects weaker projectile. Breaks at 20% damage
Down 2 Ridley will not gain his armour, but a speed boost 5 seconds
Down 3 Ridley gains a power boost for 3-6 seconds

Juiceball

Smash Rookie
NNID
Juiceball
It's ironic how our dream of playable Ridley has been continually beaten but it's never truly died, much like Ridley himself :awesome:

Also, just wanted to add something I thought of, (may be thinking too much though). Remember how Nintendo of Europe tweeted that pic of Meta Knight on the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal? Apart from the wings, glowing eyes and stage, what else connects Meta Knight to Ridley? I don't know if someone has brought this up, but their battle themes are very similar.

Just listen to Meta Knight's theme from Epic Yarn from 0:07 onwards:

/strawgrasp

Anywho, sorry if that's been brought up before. Even if there's no reveal tonight, don't give up. Ridley never did, why should we? :chuckle:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's ironic how our dream of playable Ridley has been continually beaten but it's never truly died, much like Ridley himself :awesome:

Also, just wanted to add something I thought of, (may be thinking too much though). Remember how Nintendo of Europe tweeted that pic of Meta Knight on the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal? Apart from the wings, glowing eyes and stage, what else connects Meta Knight to Ridley? I don't know if someone has brought this up, but their battle themes are very similar.

Just listen to Meta Knight's theme from Epic Yarn from 0:07 onwards:

/strawgrasp

Anywho, sorry if that's been brought up before. Even if there's no reveal tonight, don't give up. Ridley never did, why should we? :chuckle:
Actually, MK had that theme in KSS aswell, Kirby Wii also has it as its boss prelude music

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
I don't want to believe Ridley is in the game because a "leaker" said so.
This whole "one of Japan's most wanted in Japan and Western most wanted in West." might be Ridley's last chance.
im not saying you should believe it because a leaker said so. im saying that it could help his chances if even just a bit

*EDIT* well turns out they got his final smash wrong, so disregard what i said.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman

Damn, and I thought my reasons for wanting him were good. If he doesn't make it it's not your fault and I'm sure your bro wouldn't hate you for it. If anything, you can tell him that fans wanted him in Brawl so much that they hacked him in. This whole thread thinks his chances are good, so keep your chin up. I hope he gets in so you can play as him for your brother.

Top Bottom