• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, I’ve watched Shulk’s trailer again to understand more on what could be in store for the rest of the potential newcomers, and I realized that it indirectly helped Ridley’s chances. Now this is all speculation, and it could all be made naught within a matter of days, but bear with me on this.

Metal Face, one of the antagonists in the game Xenoblade, was apparently confirmed to be a boss hazard on the Gaur Plains (via Twitter, or so I’ve heard). The Xenoblade franchise is, as of the moment, a console-exclusive series with its core title on the Wii. Now if we’re to assume that console-based games are going to have derived stages on the Wii U version, and handheld-based games with derived-stages on the 3DS version, it makes sense if the Gaur Plains stage was only found on the Wii U version. Also, Metal Face (as a boss) could potentially be used to advertise the gimmicks found in one version of the game, distinguishing the differences between the 3DS version and Wii U version, if we’re to think that boss hazards will mostly be found on the Wii U version.

But…the stage is also confirmed to be on the 3DS version of the game as well. Now why is that? Could it be that Xenoblade needed a stage on the 3DS version of the game no matter what, or is it that Metal Face is too good to pass up on the handheld version of SSB4? Either way, this just shows that Gaur Plains was considered to be important by the SSB4 development team, and its core features had to be featured on both titles, for different audiences.

Now let’s get to the purple dragon in the room. Ridley is the main antagonist of a long-running franchise that’s been going on for nearly thirty years. The Metroid games have seen titles on both console and handheld games, and Ridley himself has only been absent in three out of twelve titles in the series. And he is certainly no overrated character; Nintendo has recognized him as Samus’s archenemy and used him in advertising whenever they displayed Nintendo’s gallery of villains such as Bowser, Ganondorf, and Andross. He has appeared in every Smash game in the series so far, in some non-playable role, and was around for far longer than Mother Brain, who is sometimes touted as the “real” antagonist of the series. So it makes sense if the stage that he’s present on as a hazard, the Pyrosphere, would be on both versions of the game, right?

Well apparently, according to the leaks, Pyrosphere is not in the 3DS stage line-up. Despite everything that I said earlier, the stage is only found on the Wii U version. We also need to consider the fact that this stage has already appeared on the 3DS, in an entirely different fighting game called “Dead or Alive: Dimensions”, in which Ridley was indeed present as a stage hazard.

Again, this could all be potentially thrown out the window, but this morning news has raised a lot of questions for me. If Metal Face was so important to be featured on both versions of the game, why not the Pyrosphere and Ridley?
I guess the Xenoblade Chronicles "New" 3DS port may count in Sakurai's eyes. Bloody "New" ruining my dreams...

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I can't find a way to put Ridley behind Zss without completely rearranging the roster.
That's what happens, the roster gets completely re-arranged when unlocked characters come in. So no, it doesn't deconfirm him.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
WHAT? You can play it on actual console! How can Project M tournaments exist then? And why do you hate it?
its a hacked game, and i've only heard of it working on wii, whether that is through hacking the system itself or doing whatever other crap i have no interest in, i dont care... im not interested.

besides that, its got nothing but a bunch of hardcore competitive people behind it, which i also dont care for.

basically, everything about it, is something i hate.

if it ends up having ridley, and the real SSB4 doesnt have him... that will only be one more thing i hate about it and all the people behind it.

also, yeah... how CAN there be tournaments for it? its a hacked game... isnt hacking something frowned upon by most people, as well as the people whose product you screwed with?

how are there tournaments for hacked games?

thats like having official olympics specifically for steroid abusers.

Last edited:

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
defiantly betting on at least 1 more trailer before smash comes out. but if I may ask, what is PAX and is it likely we will get another trailer at that time? I saw them doing a Shulk trailer to intensify Japanese hype. now what about a highly requested western character now?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
oh, yeah... im sure the PC gamers will love that... console gamers will just have to sod off, i guess, right?

seriously... i hate project M with a severe passion... the idea of ridley only being in that, and not in the REAL game... makes me feel homicidal.

that is NOT a good thing.
PC gamers..? I guess if they're using an emulator, but you can play PM on a Wii too, and that's a console..
I don't get why you could hate PM, you can play it as casually as any other Smash..

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what I believe anymore.

But this is what still gets me.

If what we know is the final roster... Donkey kong, Zelda, kirby, and metroid didn't get one newcomer?

I dono. Kinda seems like there is still a hidden batch.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
What? No, that was because the cutscenes of the SSE were uploaded to the internet, not because of a leak. It allowed people to watch them without playing the game.
That makes me sad, because of all the newcomers. I mean, imagine a cutscene with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac Man duking it out in a stadium? That would be epic. And could you imagine how awesome the Ridley cutscenes would be once he's playable?.....
But, oh well. Here's to hoping the Wii U version has a story mode with cutscenes. (Probably won't happen, but a guy can dream)

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
I'd just like to say a few things before I disappear for a while. I really don't know why some of you people lost hope. Today's reveal really had no impact at all on Ridleys chances..I watched the trailer again, and that shadow part isn't an argument for detractors because they actually do show Metal face in the background during the trailer.

Here's the other thing..even though we shouldn't put a hell of a lot of faith in these branched leaks, I've read multiple stating that some stage hazards are also playable characters (ridley and dark pit). Which seems to be true because I'm almost 100% convinced that dark pit is a stage hazard. Hell he was even shown off at the end of the palutena trailer just as metal face was in shulks. Here's the other thing: Why hasn't kid icarus's stage been shown? Like at all? Dark pits a stage hazard, I'm sure of it.

Since the ninka leak is pretty much confirmed now, confirming dark pit as a playable character, I really see ridley being there as well in addition to being a stage hazard. With all of the waiting and teasing, you can't tell me it's all because he's a stage hazard and just a stage hazard. With all the fan service he's doing, he'd basically be throwing up four middle fingers towards the Ridley fan base (which is the largest fan base for a newcomer in the west). He knows we want him guys, he knows. Which is why in my heart of hearts I can't see him jerking us around for a year without a payoff.

Edit: one more thing (not too sold on this point yet) I believe shulk was the highest requested character in japan right? So he gave them a Japanese specific trailer for him. I think it's only a matter of time before we get the west's most requested character in fashion specifically for the western audience.

Here's hopin'.

LONG LIVE THE SPACE DRAGON OF THE WEST!

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Warning Received
its a hacked game, and i've only heard of it working on wii, whether that is through hacking the system itself or doing whatever other crap i have no interest in, i dont care... im not interested.

besides that, its got nothing but a bunch of hardcore competitive people behind it, which i also dont care for.

if it ends up having ridley, and the real SSB4 doesnt have him... that will only be one more thing i hate about it and all the people behind it.

also, yeah... how CAN there be tournaments for it? its a hacked game... isnt hacking something frowned upon by most people, as well as the people whose product you screwed with?

that is a very close minded opinion

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to Ridley's reveal trailer. After a year of development, hopefully it will be worth the weight.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

PC gamers..? I guess if they're using an emulator, but you can play PM on a Wii too, and that's a console..
I don't get why you could hate PM, you can play it as casually as any other Smash..
that is a very close minded opinion
I hate mini-modding, but please... stop now.
This "debate" always turns into extremely disrespectful discussion. It's almost as bad as "Melee vs. Brawl."

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I know we just had a info dump today but if anything the Shulk reveal today like people said is more proof we may get a Ridley reveal at PAX, and we don't have long left for the Japanese release.

Also had to make this...
shulkrid2.jpg

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Casual player here, I play PM on PC. I love it. I love it much more than regular Brawl, infact. Also, PM is a mod, not a "hacked game". Theres a difference.

Back to Ridley: Ridleys Zero Mission design is imo the best representation of Ridley we had so far. I really hope we will get his Zero Mission design as an alt.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
one thing. did you realize that all te newcomers have this color according a BIT from green to lila? so who is purple and i do not mean pink or this violett

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Please. I would love this and I now need it to live.
What's great about such an idea is that Bowser could get angry at Ridley for stealing his kid, then we'd get gameplay footage of the largest two characters on the roster fighting for size/scale comparisons.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know we just had a info dump today but if anything the Shulk reveal today like people said is more proof we may get a Ridley reveal at PAX, and we don't have long left for the Japanese release.

Also had to make this...
View attachment 23457
Needs better Ridley head, wings, tail and thinner body.
Back to Ridley: Ridleys Zero Mission design is imo the best representation of Ridley we had so far. I really hope we will get his Zero Mission design as an alt.
Won't happen. Since we are getting Roidley, bulky Ridley with normal proportions (except for legs, but they don't matter that much since he moves on all four or just flyes instead of walking on two) and normal head, we can't get any other Ridley design as alts because their proportions are too different. At least not pure and unmodified/unedited/whatever. Omega Ridley/MP3 Meta Ridley is the only alts we could get, but i doubt it.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
someone can link me the link of the full roster in page 1700 and I haven on youtube that there was a picture of wolf and impa in the take down option(how many time pikachi have ko wolf,peach etc)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Also had to make this...
View attachment 23457
Ugh, I can't wait till we can use an actual official Ridley render instead of hideous Brawl skin hacks.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And then I could proceed to make Godzilla references.
Then we need DK and ROB in that fight. Or DK and Charizard.

Would we really get a reveal that quickly after a previous one?
2 weeks left before release, so, YES. Either that or anticlimatic reveal from insane japanese player who unlocked every character in 1 day while creating Godzilla clone.
EDIT: wait...i double posted again? But there was a post before this one not by me...anyway, sorry for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Would we really get a reveal that quickly after a previous one?
Well we got Mii, Palutena, and Pac Man all revealed at E3 on the same day at different times (two in the morning and one late night), so it wouldn't surprise me if Ridley is revealed on Sunday (which is by far the best time to confirm him).

And then I could proceed to make Godzilla references.
JoJo references, Godzilla references, Aliens references, comic book references, and more! Smash has it all!

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I don't know what I believe anymore.

But this is what still gets me.

If what we know is the final roster... Donkey kong, Zelda, kirby, and metroid didn't get one newcomer?

I dono. Kinda seems like there is still a hidden batch.
This is what gets me too. I just can't convince myself that what we saw is the final roster. Metroid, Zelda, and Donkey Kong needs at least one more newcomer to combat what we already have (Kirby would be great too but I wouldn't be too upset if they stayed at 3). Personally, that is why I still have faith in the Trophy Quiz theory hinting at Impa and Ridley.

Also I have the strongest feeling we may have 2 more trailers instead of 1. It's mostly a hunch but I can't imagine not seeing a Ridley trailer and I would expect at least one more newcomer trailer to not have as many secret characters.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. I tried to keep the Ridley in there but I feel like it is relevant to his situation anyways.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So, is PAX the time of praising for Riddles?
Possibly, possibly. Hopefully. Improbably.
The wait is really taking its toll on me. Does anyone still have conversational material that hasn't been touched upon? Perhaps how Ridley could act if he was a good and proper boss?

Last edited:

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Ridley looks more like an "ending trailer" due the huge amount of fanbase and hype, but again this also would git Mewtwo xDDD I dont know, I just want a stupid trailer and see Ridley on it.

My heart started pounding fast when I saw Bowser today like "NOW GODLIKE RIDLEY SOARS THE SKIES, SCREAMS HIS TRADEMARK SOUND AND SMASHES THE GROUND IN FRONT OF HIM AND MONSTER BATTLE"

I dont want that again unless Ridley really appears xDDD

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Possibly, possibly. Hopefully. Improbably.
The wait is really taking its toll on me. Does anyone still have conversational material that hasn't been touched upon? Perhaps how Ridley could act if he was a good and proper boss?
Super fast and frightening. A.k.a., not what we saw from gameplay at all.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Perhaps how Ridley could act if he was a good and proper boss?
Just look to Brawley, ya, he stole all his moves from Dynablade, but Dynablade was a cool and fun boss. Maybe give him some fire breath and throwing people around like they're ragdolls, and viola, one Smash Bros Ridley boss cooked to perfection

Also, he shouldn't just sit in the middle of the stage and taunt.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So, is PAX the time of praising for Riddles?
Maybe if he reveals him as a boss character. I highly doubt we would get a second character reveal as Shulk was the only character featured in the trailer (meaning if he planned on revealing a second character near the same time, he would not have made 2 separate character trailers) and the website updated from the atrocious Multi-Man Miilee mode.

Top Bottom