• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Have modded this thread for the past several months, but I've never given an opinion, so I might as well give my own before things are officially confirmed.

First things first, Ridley is a pretty awesome character (dat theme song) and would definitely be a unique/interesting character if playable. However, ever since the Pyrosphere reveal I do think his fate was set. Granted I do think he took the wrong approach, but lot of what Sakurai has done I don't quite see as trolling, let alone anything meant to be mean spirited.

You guys in his fanbase are all cool in my book, especially the creator of this thread aka the Strongest user on SWF, but I won't lie, this thread has been pretty dang cringe worthy at times. Granted the detractors have been rarely pleasant nor do I regret giving infractions to each and everyone one of them, but at the same time this thread has been a bit too defensive and WAY too emotional for it's own good. Whether or not this the fault of Sakurai's handling of de-confirming the character, the lack of non-trolling detractors, or failure to recognize Ridley's faults, this thread could have used a bit more self control (hence all the staff reminders about reporting and ignoring certain posts).

Anyway it's only a matter of time before Ridley reappears in a more fitting role, as a new Metroid game is obviously much closer down the road than Smash 5. And who knows, maybe one of those rumors for Smash 4 will turn out to be true.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well! We've reached Exactly 1700 Pages! Congrats to the users who made the Ridley thread this big! Let's hope its not too big to crash SmashBoards! :laugh:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Congratulations on reaching 1700 pages!

...It's hard to believe that we were celebrating reaching 666 pages not too long ago...

Has this been posted yet, supposedly comes from 4chan:

Hello Ridley and Mewtwo!

Grain of salt guys. Most likely fake.

Edit: Just noticed Dr. Mario's art doesn't match the real leak.

Last edited:

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
Have modded this thread for the past several months, but I've never given an opinion, so I might as well give my own before things are officially confirmed.

First things first, Ridley is a pretty awesome character (dat theme song) and would definitely be a unique/interesting character if playable. However, ever since the Pyrosphere reveal I do think his fate was set. Granted I do think he took the wrong approach, but lot of what Sakurai has done I don't quite see as trolling, let alone anything meant to be mean spirited.

You guys in his fanbase are all cool in my book, especially the creator of this thread aka the Strongest user on SWF, but I won't lie, this thread has been pretty dang cringe worthy at times. Granted the detractors have been rarely pleasant nor do I regret giving infractions to each and everyone one of them, but at the same time this thread has been a bit too defensive and WAY too emotional for it's own good. Whether or not this the fault of Sakurai's handling of de-confirming the character, the lack of non-trolling detractors, or failure to recognize Ridley's faults, this thread could have used a bit more self control (hence all the staff reminders about reporting and ignoring certain posts).

Anyway it's only a matter of time before Ridley reappears in a more fitting role, as a new Metroid game is obviously much closer down the road than Smash 5. And who knows, maybe one of those rumors for Smash 4 will turn out to be true.
Nice post.

But put that pessimism aside.
He is in smash 4, just wait for the reveal of awesomeness.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Excellent work, fellow space Pirates! We made it to 1700 pages! Let's do our best to keep up the good work for our big purple friend barney Ridley, and get ready for any big news! Big round of applause to everybody!

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Hello Ridley and Mewtwo!

Grain of salt guys.
That's Brawlley, Wolf is taken straight from Brawl too (SSE introduction) and they aren't even using the right Dr Mario render. :|
I wish a legit leak with Ridley would come soon.
Congratulations on reaching 1700 pages!

...It's hard to believe that we were celebrating reaching 666 pages not too long ago...
Woah, I actually do kind of remember that. I mean... I wasn't posting then but I sure was lurking.
I think I was lurking for a long time actually
A long, long time...

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

I respect your opinion, Your cool in my book as well. The Ridley fanbase is a passionate and might I add hilarious fanbase. And I'am glad to be a part of it. Ridley is the reason I found Smashboards. So whatever happens, I'am glad I found this place and hanged out with these great people.

Also 1700 pages! The Ridley hype cannot be stopped!

Last edited:

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010

Hello Ridley and Mewtwo!

ya I just saw it on the leak thread and that Ridley picture is from page 1 of this thread. If that was the final roster I would be more than happy with it. well perhaps K Rool for smash 5

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Hello Ridley and Mewtwo!

Edit: Just noticed Dr. Mario's art doesn't match the real leak.
Fake. This Ridley render is on our first/second post, so, it is fake.

Oh, 1700th page. Now everyone will start spamming "YAY! 1700th page!" posts.

I agree (if Ridley is a boss) he chose wrong way to show Ridley's status. Especially since he never did anything like that before or after that and it always ended right after it officialy started (Chrom, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, etc). We never had to wait for character deconfirmation before and even when we though that certain NPC is playable, Sakurai fixed that *coughChromPrinceSabrecough*

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
"4chan"

Nope. Not even an atom of salt.
Well, some of the Roster Pictures that were leaked with the videos also came on 4chan first, so, yeah.

Even so, that picture of Ridley is defintly an old Brawl Model. We already know that it's gonna be Concept Art Ridley from Other M, so I think this picture is fake. But I still think he is in as a Playable.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
We already know that it's gonna be Concept Art Ridley from Other M
No, we don't. You can't really tell which design exactly is used since that shadow is distorted enough to make it hard to see Ridley's head. But his flying animation is certainly exactly same as in Other M, but not as smooth/fluid/whatever.
If it IS Conceptley, then this game will not be worth buying for me (i have Brawl and Brawl hacks, so, it will be just my first HD/WiiU/3DS game and not must-have game) just like in case there is no playable Ridley.

Last edited:
"4chan"

Nope. Not even an atom of salt.
Didn't the real leak come from 4chan?

Yep, I think we better ignore this leak, the art for Jigglypuff, Dr.Mario and Bowser Jr. are taken from this recreation:

Sigh.....

The one thing we should take from this fake leak is how much better the CSS looks with 5 more characters.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
1700 pages of our favorite purple space dragon Palkia Ridley, hard to believe that we will have for sure time a definitive answer to his role in only a few weeks from now, let's hope for a good ending.

1000 pages down, 700 to go @u@

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
the powerful 1700 pages tho. i guess you could say that's a

BIG

deal

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
We should stop talking about leaks, i'm sure we won't have another legit leak and the previous one lacked all the characters, we should focus only talking about how good ridley is instead of waiting for leaks

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
We should stop talking about leaks, i'm sure we won't have another legit leak and the previous one lacked all the characters, we should focus only talking about how good ridley is instead of waiting for leaks

You know what you are right,

"Ridley, Ridley, he's our man, if he can't do it then we riot and pillage Sakuri's house until he can!!"

NeraBriscoletti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragon_Quester72
3DS FC
0232-8277-7597

Although I disagree with you where Ridley is concerned, I still think you are pretty cool and I love how you worded that... Er-hem...

"I like your style!"

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
or how about we shouldn't talk about leaks so the mods wont mark our comments as spam
So apparentally we've reached 1700 pages... Oh how time flies!
(Kinda like this guy...)
anyone notice ridleys right leg twitches up every time his wings flap downward?

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Again with the "event regarding Smash = Ridley reveal" mentality?!
Not only is a character reveal unlikely, not only is a Ridley reveal unlikely, but even a Ridley deconfirm is unlikely, since assuming it's a 3DS only Direct Pyrosphere most likely will not make an appearance.

Guys, please don't get your hopes up. :facepalm:

I am not sure I see the correlation, what do wheels have to do with Ridley's inclusion?
...And you dare call yourself a speculator? How can you not see the correlation?!

Filthy casual :denzel:

Agreed for the most part, and I can understand why you think his fate is sealed (being alluded as a Boss is a legitimate reason to believe he's not in, which is why I don't hold it against anybody despite the obvious weirdness of the situation and the legitimate counterarguments).

And yes, despite my bias in believing that the Ridley fanbase is the raddest and coolest fanbase because of it's immense size and history with detractors this thread can get way too defensive and emotional for it's own good sometimes. Though to be fair, this goes for pretty much all support groups that I've browsed through (especially the popular ones). (Kind of why I dislike them being called "support groups to begin with, makes threads like these incredibly biased against dissenters)

If in the end Ridley does turn out to be a Boss, I agree that he chose the wrong way to go about it. Hell, even if Ridley is confirmed playable I still would dislike how he handled the whole thing.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Anyone else see the commercial/advert for Toy Story : That Time Forgot?

Looks like Ridley is trying to start an acting career, good for him!

Seriously though it's really funny how much this character (who is called Cleric) looks like an old man Ridley with no wings.

Like....it's scary how much likeness there is to Ridley, especially the head and neck, even the color of his skin and eyes!
Either Old Bird or Gray Voice must've had some kind of temporary merge with Ridley.. I demand to know how.

Hm....Is it possible that Sylux is a friend (or an associate) of Ridley?
It is possible since both hate the Galactic Federation and Samus equally and show no mercy aganist their common enemies.

Reason for hating the Galactic Federation
Sylux has been someway "hurt" by the Galactic Federation in the past....similarly, Ridley has been made a survivor of a mass-genocide launched by the Galactic Federation.

Reason for hating Samus
Samus is an associate of the Galactic Federation, which makes her also an enemy of Sylux.....and the fact that Samus mutilated Ridley and the injured dragon had to undergo painful surgery and procedures to stand up once again....as a cyborg.
Sylux probably searched for a way to restore Ridley's original form and have their revenge on Samus....HENCE, why Sylux searched for the "ultimate power" in the events of Metroid Prime Hunters.

Probably in a timeframe after the events of Metroid Prime III and before the beginning of Super Metroid, Sylux suceeds in restoring Ridley to his original form.......That could explain why Ridley was in full flesh in Super Metroid....
Ridley probably asked Sylux to back off Samus, as she was his to finish....Sylux understands Ridley's request and leaves Ridley to fight Samus alone and get his revenge.

This is all conjecture....but all good ideas start with conjectures;).
Sounds like an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of cliche, but whatever makes Ridley fans and Sylux/MPH fans less dissonant I guess...

And hah. Knew someone would post that one part from the Pirates/Hunters doujin comic thing.. Was certainly refreshing to see again though.

I haven't played much of Metroid Prime...but didn't OMEGA Ridley disappear in a flash of light when defeated by Samus?
Either he disintegrated into a power-up or....
Ridley used elite NINJA Techniques to escape in a lightscreen....leaving a power-up as a distraction
He wrapped his wings around himself and sank into the ground of the Leviathan, thus disappearing.. so I guess I would call that some kind of super ninja technique. The pirates in the Prime series were already known for being ninja-like anyway (hanging from ceilings and all that while waiting to attack/approach you).

On the topic of Ridley, as well as being someone who has never really played a Metroid, this song from Metroid 2 should totally be in SSB4... it's Ridley related cause Metroid... and stuff...
Ridley's not in Metroid II though specifically. But yeah, nice track still.

And major props to --- on being honest and up front with his take on Ridley's fate, even though I kinda figured that's what it was and as late as it is in the speculation period now.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Is everybody ready for tomorrow? Got your snacks and beverages on stand by? Besides Ridley, I am hoping we get an official confirmation of an upcoming 3DS Metroid game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is everybody ready for tomorrow? Got your snacks and beverages on stand by? Besides Ridley, I am hoping we get an official confirmation of an upcoming 3DS Metroid game.
Upcoming Metroid 3DS game is far more likely than Ridley announced in the Direct. Well, Ridley might be announced in the behind-closed-doors media event, though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Upcoming Metroid 3DS game is far more likely than Ridley announced in the Direct. Well, Ridley might be announced in the behind-closed-doors media event, though.
I can see it now:

Sakurai: "Ridley had to be chained at the event; otherwise, he would have eaten everybody and demolished everything."

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
i believe ridley will be revealed tomorrow in the direct. japan isnt nearly as ridley crazy (if they even are) as people in the US are, so it would make sense to reveal him in a supposedly japan only direct.

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
What if they announce a new metriod then ridley for smash bros to promote the new game's release

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
i believe ridley will be revealed tomorrow in the direct. japan isnt nearly as ridley crazy (if they even are) as people in the US are, so it would make sense to reveal him in a supposedly japan only direct.
Isn't that completely counter-productive? It should be the EXACT OPPOSITE. Japan isn't Ridley crazy, so they wouldn't announce him in the Direct. If anything he should be in the Media Event. Now, K. Rool would be a better pick to be announced in the Direct. He's popular worldwide (although even then, because he is popular worldwide it'd probably be best to announce him worldwide at the same time).

What if they announce a new metriod then ridley for smash bros to promote the new game's reales
Maybe. Or maybe they'll just announce Metroid 3DS in the Direct, and Ridley in the behind-closed-doors media event.

Top Bottom