• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Little question: Is your name supposed to be plural?

Another cool Ridley design, that most people probably know already: http://www.freewebs.com/undergod4ever/photos/Public Samus Pictures/Ridley.jpg
It is possible that I may have hit a wrong key when typing it out. It is likely that I simply had a two-headed Meta Ridley on the mind at the time. It's also possible that I'm not quite as versed with German as I like to think I am.

It's also likely this is completely off-topic. :p
I can clear that up : Drachen (german word for dragon) can be both used for singular and plural, so the name is perfectly accurate X)

B2Ridley : I doubt they will reveal something as major as Ridley behind closed doors...then again they did it to pacman... But come on, to Ridley? Its more likely they reveal Shulk since he's been leaked anyway... my opinion at least.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm still leaning on Conceptly being the final design for Ridley in smash bros., and I do think it best suits him for being playable.
Also, since Samus and Zero Suit Samus are based on their Other M designs and Pyrosphere (which I think is Ridley's home stage) is from Other M, they are going to use something from Other M for Ridley.
I just hope they don't use Otherley. It's by far the ugliest design, in my opinion.

Conceptley is nice. I even like Brawley, except for those lifeless eyes he has.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I know I shouldn't be hyping myself but I can't help it (also I learned how to make bad gifs)

dramaticridley2.gif

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Shouldn't we call Conceptley Roidley instead of Other M Ridley since that guy actually has muscles that are clearly visible and if you didn't noticed them, then you are blind. Other M Ridley just looks bulky and has visible bones and everything Ridley usually has except for normal beak and long legs of course. Just look at his chest and then look at Conceptley's, then answer who looks like he had a trip to nearest gim.
Guys the leak is REAL!
Too late to the party. And you are 3rd person with this profile pic that visited this thread.
Ridley is big as ****
Too late to the party.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This just in, scientists do groundbreaking discovery. They call it "The Wheel". More information soon.

Sorry, I had to.
You've gotta be kidding! A WHEEL?! BLASPHEMY! Because we don't fall off the Earth, it means it is flat, so, wheels can't work and Ridley can't be playable. Logic? WHAT IS IT?! THIS IS BLASPHEMY! THIS IS MADNESS!

Morbi

Scavenger
You've gotta be kidding! A WHEEL?! BLASPHEMY! Because we don't fall off the Earth, it means it is flat, so, wheels can't work and Ridley can't be playable. Logic? WHAT IS IT?! THIS IS BLASPHEMY! THIS IS MADNESS!
I am not sure I see the correlation, what do wheels have to do with Ridley's inclusion?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, if you wanna get technical, we didn't discovered the wheel, we invented it. We discovered fire.
Right. And fire is more related to Ridley than a wheel. Yep, fire it is. They discovered fire.

I am not sure I see the correlation, what do wheels have to do with Ridley's inclusion?
Well, we've been waiting for him to show up for a wheel...

Sorry. It's late here.

Last edited:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I can clear that up : Drachen (german word for dragon) can be both used for singular and plural, so the name is perfectly accurate X)

B2Ridley : I doubt they will reveal something as major as Ridley behind closed doors...then again they did it to pacman... But come on, to Ridley? Its more likely they reveal Shulk since he's been leaked anyway... my opinion at least.
Uhm, sorry, no thats not true. Source: Im german. The singular for Dragon in german is "Drache". the "n" in german is like the "s" in english. So Dragons = Drachen and Dragon = Drache. There IS the german word "Drachen" in german that is indeed singular, but that word usually doesnt translate to Dragon, but rather "kite" and doesnt mean the same as Drache.

With that said, there are certain types of sentences where "Drachen" is singular and does indeed mean "Dragon" (example: Mit einem Drachen), but that usually doesnt occur when the word is used alone, but is rather used to improve the flow of a particular sentence.

Anyways, I can see them revealing atleast some character in the direct tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Ridley is big as ****
That's why only him, Olimar, and Kirby can be playable, there all the size of s***. Sakurai: Laughs :troll:

I just hope they don't use Otherley. It's by far the ugliest design, in my opinion.

Conceptley is nice. I even like Brawley, except for those lifeless eyes he has.
Yeah, the thing that I hate most of Otherly is his head, with it's duck bill. Conceptly fixed that problem. As for Brawly, I actually don't like it that much, maybe it's the face or how terribly skinny he is, it makes him look like a anorexic.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hate to tell you this but we already know. :p

Hey! The water is for Ridley detractors only! :laugh:

Cool! (I'm assuming this is MLP styled? :p )
b21.png
Eeyup.

I've been thinking of doing all Nintendo villains as various MLP creatures. I'm stuck on Bowser's design though...

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Uhm, sorry, no thats not true. Source: Im german. The singular for Dragon in german is "Drache". the "n" in german is like the "s" in english. So Dragons = Drachen and Dragon = Drache. There IS the german word "Drachen" in german that is indeed singular, but that word usually doesnt translate to Dragon, but rather "kite" and doesnt mean the same as Drache.

With that said, there are certain types of sentences where "Drachen" is singular and does indeed mean "Dragon" (example: Mit einem Drachen), but that usually doesnt occur when the word is used alone, but is rather used to improve the flow of a particular sentence.

Anyways, I can see them revealing atleast some character in the direct tomorrow.
Sorry but you are wrong. Source: I'm German too. Drache AND Drachen can be used for the singular form. Go check the Duden if you do not believe me. Example: Hausdrachen. One person, uses the word as singularetantum.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

As I said. I'm not exactly "fluent" in German and thus may have either mixed up the words or decided a two-headed Meta Ridley (thus, twin "iron dragons") would be awesome. :p

Doubt we're getting a reveal tomorrow, though. Japan-only, not gonna bother with Ridley, I bet they're going to put a spot on the DQX port and maybe (by which I mean hopefully) decide to localize DQVII 3D... but no Smash-related stuff. :c

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but you are wrong. Source: I'm German too. Drache AND Drachen can be used for the singular form. Go check the Duden if you do not believe me. Example: Hausdrachen. One person, uses the word as singularetantum.
I actually did because I was curious, but I couldnt find an example where "Eisendrachen" made sense as a singular AND as a standalone word (that is supposed to mean "Dragon" and not "kite"). I guess its a pretty dodgy topic, but arguing over german grammar is so fun.

http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Drachen

http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Drache

It states that "Drachen" does indeed only mean "kite" when used standalone.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would hate to join in this debate as it has little to do with Ridley other than his... um species? But he did state that Drachen could be used for the singular form; however, he also asserted that it is in conjunction with a sentence, the word, "Drachen" alone does not traditionally translate to dragon, thereby causing justified confusion.

Source: logic

hot coffee

Smash Cadet
It's not just Ridley we haven't seen. Sakurai made it sound as if there were numerous boss battles in the Wii U version but so far we've only been shown the yellow devil. Does anyone else think that's odd? You'd think we'd have been shown at least one new boss since April. There might be some sort of special gimmick to the bosses that we don't know about yet. If the bosses are playable with the gamepad it would make sense to hide them for now because that would take away hype from the 3ds version.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
It's not just Ridley we haven't seen. Sakurai made it sound as if there were numerous boss battles in the Wii U version but so far we've only been shown the yellow devil. Does anyone else think that's odd? You'd think we'd have been shown at least one new boss since April. There might be some sort of special gimmick to the bosses that we don't know about yet. If the bosses are playable with the gamepad it would make sense to hide them for now because that would take away hype from the 3ds version.
No reason to allude to one specific one though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hype? For bulls**t mode that someone tries to hype up? How? It will either be unfair to other players with normal characters if bosses could attack without waiting for players to attack them or too boring for those who play as bosses if it is balanced so bosses have to wait for some time between attacks or something like that and if Yellow Devil is playable since that guy will be dull as hell since he can attack only in 2 ways - by moving around and by shooting eye lasers. So, it will be a waste of time and any game developer (like me...kinda...i guess that doesn't counts...then replace "game developer" with "person that has brains") can see that without even trying to make it. Better to use that for something else.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I frankly don't see playable bosses because playing as yellow devil would be the most boring thing i can picture on this game. there was a "leak" though that proposed an interesting alternative to boss Ridley and playable Ridley, that would be that a CPU Ridley (which would be a palyable character anyway) enter the fray on pyrosphere to attack the winning player... too bad that the leak didn't made much sense and have 0 proof.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
On the topic of Ridley, as well as being someone who has never really played a Metroid, this song from Metroid 2 should totally be in SSB4... it's Ridley related cause Metroid... and stuff...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hype? For bulls**t mode that someone tries to hype up? How? It will either be unfair to other players with normal characters if bosses could attack without waiting for players to attack them or too boring for those who play as bosses if it is balanced so bosses have to wait for some time between attacks or something like that and if Yellow Devil is playable since that guy will be dull as hell since he can attack only in 2 ways - by moving around and by shooting eye lasers. So, it will be a waste of time and any game developer (like me...kinda...i guess that doesn't counts...then replace "game developer" with "person that has brains") can see that without even trying to make it. Better to use that for something else.
b32.png
No no no, you see, Ridley's both a playable boss AND a playable character.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Even so, no body has been teased so heavily and so frequently as Ridley, and this teasing started before the direct. To lead a full year to Ridley being stage boss with a stupid gimmick just seems incredibly wrong. And besides, if they ported Wiley's Castle with the Yellow Devil, why wouldn't do the same with Pyroshpere, which, fun fact, appeared on a 3ds game before (Dead or Alive Dimensions.). Not to mention, this would be a downgrade for Ridley if he is a stage boss, since stage bosses are essentially special souped up stage hazards. That would be like if they turned Little Mac from an Assist Trophy to a stage cameo character. And as everyone said before, stage bosses would be unbelievably boring to control.

hot coffee

Smash Cadet
I'm sure Sakurai and his team could find a way to make it balanced so that it is neither unfair for the normal players or boring for the player using the boss. It's not exactly something I would care for. I would much rather have Ridley playable as a character but there's just no way to tell what Sakurai wants until he finally decides to reveal it. Right now I think Ridley has a 65% chance of being a character and a 35% chance of being a playable boss. I am absolutely positive though that he will not be a stage hazard.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm sure Sakurai and his team could find a way to make it balanced so that it is neither unfair for the normal players or boring for the player using the boss. It's not exactly something I would care for. I would much rather have Ridley playable as a character but there's just no way to tell what Sakurai wants until he finally decides to reveal it. Right now I think Ridley has a 65% chance of being a character and a 35% chance of being a playable boss. I am absolutely positive though that he will not be a stage hazard.
I really doubt it is possible even for Sakurai himself to balance this thing while making it fun. Last part is important too and that is why i never use those competetive rules. It is a lot easier to just turn him into stage hazard - it not only requires no brain since they are already ripping it off staight from DoA 3DS game, but bosses require no real balance. So, it is illogical and very unlikely that it will happen. Either way, it is impossible to turn Yellow Devil into something fun without breaking canon and stuff like that (so, no Yellow Hulk since Yellow Devil can't do anything other than just separate and shoot lasers from his eye) or without making him utterly broken with its separating thing.
IMO, his chances are 89% playable, 10.99% stage boss and 0.01% playable boss.
Which one do You mean?
RSSB or something like that leak which included actual videos with gameplay. Don't discuss it here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom