• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've seen alot of debate on Ridley's level of Sentience. Some things I've seen suggest that he is the acutal leader of the Space Pirates and I've seen other things to suggest that he's just kind of hive-minded. He's actions in game makes this kind of hard since he seems to act like a rabid beast 90% of the time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Has this thread calmed down?

(>_>)

(<_<)

Good.

Anyways, Anomilus's playstyle idea is great and suits Ridley well. Though I don't think I'd be maining him with that kind of playstyle.:ohwell:

Are people still holding out hope for a non-Other M Ridley?
Well..i want one but...whatever we get i guess....we should be greatful?

That's like the 3rd or 4th time that's been posted in here, so yes.

Interestingly enough, though Ridley is supposed to gender-neutral/presumed male, one of the Metroid Prime developers referred to it exclusively as female.
Your a female and im a male

Lets do this now im tired of waiting Georgous.

(hope i spelt that right.....

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Funny enough, Ridley may as well be the one who started the "Superior/Master Race" mentality among the pirates. Also shown that she is a sarcastic douche and a sadist in the manga (and even in the games to a lesser extent). I share in the relishing all the death fetish.

Really? I never thought about Ridley being female. Maybe I haven't played the Metroid games in awhile, but I never recall Ridley being referred to any gender in the games. I always thought Ridley as an it, since Ridley looks like a product of some sort of experiment, to me at least.
The person I mentioned was Mike Sneath, who did the in game models for both Meta and Omega Ridley. You're right, it's never explicitly stated what gender it is (save for a few scans in Metroid Prime, but considering they change often for both PAL and NTSC versions of the game, it's not considered canon).

Well, Ridley's race is the original race of Zebes iirc, and I suppose there'd be different genders so that they could reproduce. Ridley has always been a male in my eyes.
The whole "Zesbian" race is kind of iffy in the games. Basically it's stated that neither the Chozo or the pirates are native to it, and they just cultivated the planet while they were on it, and thus became known as the inhabitants/caretakers of the planet, hence the term "Zesbian" being used in Other M/Fusion to refer to the Space Pirates.

While it was indeed stated Ridley's "species" was from Zebes, I think it's been retconned so that Ridley is the only one left. I honestly think Ridley's Other M design was intended to give that "Zebesian" look rather than the traditional "HurImaDragon" look.

Coincidentally, I just noticed the size comparison in the sketch on the bottom right isn't too bad.

Also, about the Other M design, I'm pretty certain they'll at least give him pupils. As I've stated quite some time earlier in this thread, Smash Bros characters all have distinct personalities despite the majority of them never letting out proper sentences, and a lot of that lies in facial expressions. In Ridley's case his eyes would be the only thing to emote any kind of personality, you can see how well they did that with his Brawl model too, so I'm sure they'll do at least that.
Ridley has had pupils since his original box art. He's also had distinct orange pupils since Melee. I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll go the Link path and make an amalgamation of all his appearances, staying most true to Other M (which is obviously/infamously popular here). I wouldn't mind if they went the Prime/Zero Mission.

And as long as I'm linking all this art, and with the Other M loooooooooove we got going, I think you guys will like this.

Female vs. Female cat fights are more interesting than male vs. female fights, especially since in this situation there is no sexual tension.
There is/would be sexual tension for me! :(

I've seen alot of debate on Ridley's level of Sentience. Some things I've seen suggest that he is the acutal leader of the Space Pirates and I've seen other things to suggest that he's just kind of hive-minded. He's actions in game makes this kind of hard since he seems to act like a rabid beast 90% of the time.
He more or less does the bidding of Pirates which happens to coincide with his own. He's the leader of the "Zebes branch" of pirates according to his Melee trophy, and obviously he's seen as an enforcer when he's Meta Ridley (Prime) due to his condition. Even in the manga he yields to "higher authority" (Gray Voice) so long as it's what he wants. The second something goes wrong though, he'll decapitate someone with his tail. (again, Gray Voice..).

Even in Other M, where it was just a clone of Ridley with no "education" on any of the matter, he took the leadership role and started the whole chain of events (the roar of Lil' Birdie drove all the creatures feral, it tactically used other creatures to keep Adam's team at bay while it fought Samus alone in its adolescent/Mystery Creature forme, etc.) suggesting that the "leader" aspect may be genetic and he's just naturally suited for the role, not just the Pirates appointing some big green Godzilla rip-offKraid a military "commander."

All in all I think they just make him seem like a rabid beast because the games just stay simple and try catering to the average gamer, not someone looking for a deep and complex story with lore and dramatic and well fleshed out characters. The second they do, they botch it, and we get Other M. Even though I liked it.

Your a female and im a male

Lets do this now im tired of waiting Georgous.

(hope i spelt that right.....

Sorry love, I don't roll that way.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley has had pupils since his original box art. He's also had distinct orange pupils since Melee. I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll go the Link path and make an amalgamation of all his appearances, staying most true to Other M (which is obviously/infamously popular here). I wouldn't mind if they went the Prime/Zero Mission.

And as long as I'm linking all this art, and with the Other M loooooooooove we got going, I think you guys will like this.
I'd love if they just mixed up different designs, I wouldn't mind something like a Other M/Super Metroid/Zero Mission hybrid. I'd prefer if they went with one of his organic designs though, while I love Meta Ridley and Omega Ridley I've always loved Ridley as a purple dragon made of flesh the most. I've said it before, and I'm gonna keep on saying it, the Brawl model would have been perfect for him as a playable character, it just needed its proportions scaled and that's it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I liked the Brawl design, but not as much as the Melee one (or even Meta Ridley). More than anything I'd like something completely new.

Something like this, taking his Other M/Smash design as a base but a more ZM/SM eyes, wings, beak and tail.

By the way Wariofan, you wouldn't be interested in joining that new BC site I was talking about the other day, would you? Currently it needs beta testers.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ermmmm...that looks to Dinosaury...imo....

I liked the first one you posted.

Hmmmm....now you posted that pic its got me thinking that they could make him look...you know...because of the transition into HD....i hope not...it would be...well naa naa...im almost certain they wont.

:)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

lol Looks like he finally got his revenge!

I never had much problems with Adam's character though really. He's just the typical stern CO who lives with making hard/sacrificial choices. If not for the "authorization" mechanic of when Samus can use her next powerups, especially the timing of when Samus was able to activate the Varia Suit, I don't think people would've had nearly as much an issue with him in Other M, funnily enough.

Am liking how this thread has been turned around now, alebeit mostly by you. Suppose I should've done something about it myself earlier rather than complain about the silly homophobic argument, but what's done is done I guess.

In light of the latest Smash website picture posted, can anyone imagine Ridley doing some kind of uppercut? For those that aren't a fan of the idea of him attacking with his fist, I can imagine a sort of uppercut animation with his tail...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pretty sure he was just trolling, Swamp. He also posted in the Little Mac thread, claiming that he was "too American," and in the Ghirahim thread saying he was "too androgynous," and in the Waluigi thread claiming he was "too lanky." :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure he was just trolling, Swamp. He also posted in the Little Mac thread, claiming that he was "too American," and in the Ghirahim thread saying he was "too androgynous," and in the Waluigi thread claiming he was "too lanky." :laugh:
Hence the "O RLY?"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's like the 3rd or 4th time that's been posted in here, so yes.

Interestingly enough, though Ridley is supposed to gender-neutral/presumed male, one of the Metroid Prime developers referred to it exclusively as female.
Well, while it's not established he has been referred to as male and male pronouns in most games and material. For instance, Brawl, Other M, Zero Mission, Sakamoto himself, etc. In fact, the only time that Ridley has been referred to as female was that one developer (Mike Sneath) which is weird considering the Prime logs refer to him as a male there too.

Ironically enough, the same game that condemned the Space Pirates to being mindless spared him by showing him having cunning and some level of intelligence and trickery (like escaping his cage as "Little Birdie"). How much is not certain but it's definitely present there.

I never had much problems with Adam's character though really. He's just the typical stern CO who lives with making hard/sacrificial choices. If not for the "authorization" mechanic of when Samus can use her next powerups, especially the timing of when Samus was able to activate the Varia Suit, I don't think people would've had nearly as much an issue with him in Other M, funnily enough.
The problem I had with Adam is that his relationship with Samus is completely "show, don't tell." Samus keeps telling us how he's supposed to be, what we're supposed to understand about him and how he works but the game never gives us a chance to see it. We see bits but it's only in the flashbacks as a commander, not as much as a father figure and it doesn't help that his sternness is played to a level that can be... poorly written at times (like shooting her in the back).

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
I don't know if anyone has come up with this idea, but Ridley's final smash could be a cinematic one like Captain Falcon's where he takes whoever he can grab to a big circular room where he drags them around like he does with Samus and then launches them with a giant fireball.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
lI never had much problems with Adam's character though really. He's just the typical stern CO who lives with making hard/sacrificial choices. If not for the "authorization" mechanic of when Samus can use her next powerups, especially the timing of when Samus was able to activate the Varia Suit, I don't think people would've had nearly as much an issue with him in Other M, funnily enough.
Believe me you're preaching to the choir.
[collapse=Other M rant]No one would have minded the Varia Suit thing at all if you found the pick-up instead of having it activated via the authorization thing. Hell I bet everyone wouldn't have minded the game in its entirety if they didn't already have some prerequisite thought of Samus as a stoic/silent badass who doesn't have any trace of human emotions and never falters from the previous/Prime series. Coming in from reading the manga, being a big/long-time fan of the series (though I did begin during the Prime era, my first game wasn't Prime) and not taking it too personally (what with the claims of anti-feminist overtones, it being extremely different gameply/not being as overhyped or awesome as Prime/Sakamoto's comments of Prime not being canon, and the questionable choice to include so much dialogue in a series formerly known for a stoic/silent protagonist, etc.) I loved the game for what it was, not what it could have been (admittedly I think it was hindered here and there because of the gameplay/control choices, as well as the story linearity and plot).[/collapse]
Am liking how this thread has been turned around now, alebeit mostly by you. Suppose I should've done something about it myself earlier rather than complain about the silly homophobic argument, but what's done is done I guess.
Heh, I just figured you've done it so much to the point where it becomes redundant. I'm just playing catch-up, truthfully.

In light of the latest Smash website picture posted, can anyone imagine Ridley doing some kind of uppercut? For those that aren't a fan of the idea of him attacking with his fist, I can imagine a sort of uppercut animation with his tail...
The idea crossed my mind when I was playing one of those Godzilla fighting games. IIRC King Ghidorah has a tail uppercut,

Wouldn't mind it one bit if he used his claws/fists. Perhaps during that claw-scrape animation I linked a few pages back?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
[collapse=Other M rant]No one would have minded the Varia Suit thing at all if you found the pick-up instead of having it activated via the authorization thing. Hell I bet everyone wouldn't have minded the game in its entirety if they didn't already have some prerequisite thought of Samus as a stoic/silent badass who doesn't have any trace of human emotions and never falters from the previous/Prime series. Coming in from reading the manga, being a big/long-time fan of the series (though I did begin during the Prime era, my first game wasn't Prime) and not taking it too personally (what with the claims of anti-feminist overtones, it being extremely different gameply/not being as overhyped or awesome as Prime/Sakamoto's comments of Prime not being canon, and the questionable choice to include so much dialogue in a series formerly known for a stoic/silent protagonist, etc.) I loved the game for what it was, not what it could have been (admittedly I think it was hindered here and there because of the gameplay/control choices, as well as the story linearity and plot).[/collapse]
Eh, Fusion, Super, Metroid 2 and Prime 3 all had shown Samus with emotions to at least some extent, especially in regards to the Baby Metroid so I don't get why it's thought that she's an emotionless robot that kills things and that everyone wants her to be that way because she never was. There's a character there, it's just we've never scratched the surface with her and really I think the problem here lies in execution (and to some extent, the consistency) of the character in Other M, not the idea of giving her a character.

Also, she has faltered from time to time as well by being pushed to her limits by the villains like Ridley, Dark Samus and Mother Brain (special mention to this one since she would've died if not for the Metroid) so she's not invincible either. Again, I think it comes back to execution for Other M, it has the right ideas but it just didn't handle them well. Samus being a well rounded character that can show weakness but still can stand up and take on multiple dangerous creatures is something I think everyone would like, it's just the mishandling of trying to give her the character that they want that throws it off.

The idea crossed my mind when I was playing one of those Godzilla fighting games. IIRC King Ghidorah has a tail uppercut,

Wouldn't mind it one bit if he used his claws/fists. Perhaps during that claw-scrape animation I linked a few pages back?
I like that idea of King Ghidorah's tail uppercut being implemented, mostly because his tail is an important part of the character and I think Ridley should have some moves that show that off. Also I agree with the claw swipes and scrapes for him.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There is/would be sexual tension for me! :(
With Samus or Ridley=??? Because having sexual tension with a genocidal and evil dragon/pterodactyl thing would be weird.

Oh, and what is with this weird thing of Dark Phazon being well... umm... yeah. Because it is confusing me (as to why Dark Phazon is acting this way)...

#RealTalk

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
By the way Wariofan, you wouldn't be interested in joining that new BC site I was talking about the other day, would you? Currently it needs beta testers.
BC as in Brawl Central, or? Either way, throw me a link via PM.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
With Samus or Ridley=??? Because having sexual tension with a genocidal and evil dragon/pterodactyl thing would be weird.

Oh, and what is with this weird thing of Dark Phazon being well... umm... yeah. Because it is confusing me (as to why Dark Phazon is acting this way)...

#RealTalk
#RealTalk? Why hash tag...proof your a clone...as cloney as starfox.

RealTalk.

PS: im tryna get to know IsmaR but it seems she is not intrested at all.....one way street? Im not Phazed.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Eh, Fusion, Super, Metroid 2 and Prime 3 all had shown Samus with emotions to at least some extent, especially in regards to the Baby Metroid so I don't get why it's thought that she's an emotionless robot that kills things and that everyone wants her to be that way because she never was. There's a character there, it's just we've never scratched the surface with her and really I think the problem here lies in execution (and to some extent, the consistency) of the character in Other M, not the idea of giving her a character.

Also, she has faltered from time to time as well by being pushed to her limits by the villains like Ridley, Dark Samus and Mother Brain (special mention to this one since she would've died if not for the Metroid) so she's not invincible either. Again, I think it comes back to execution for Other M, it has the right ideas but it just didn't handle them well. Samus being a well rounded character that can show weakness but still can stand up and take on multiple dangerous creatures is something I think everyone would like, it's just the mishandling of trying to give her the character that they want that throws it off.
Just gonna leave this here, considering it's extremely relevant to what you're saying.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Just gonna leave this here, considering it's extremely relevant to what you're saying.
Thanks, that's probably my favorite of all the Other M related videos, they list some of the problems without getting too heated and just say where we can go from here and what they can improve on. Some of it is conjecture (like the supposed conflicts at the beginning) but even then it's logical about it and say why they think that's the case and it does fit what we know for the most part.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Don't you dare try to stop it John.

It is not yet ripe.
#RipeTalk
#RealTalk? Why hash tag...proof your a clone...as cloney as starfox.

RealTalk.

PS: im tryna get to know IsmaR but it seems she is not intrested at all.....one way street? Im not Phazed.
I'm a clone of the Landmaster, which is a clone of Krystal, which is a clone of Wolf, which is a clone of Falco, which is a clone of Fox, which is a clone of Mario which is a clone of Dr. Mario, which is a clone of Kirby! :grin:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
#RipeTalk

I'm a clone of the Landmaster, which is a clone of Krystal, which is a clone of Wolf, which is a clone of Falco, which is a clone of Fox, which is a clone of Mario which is a clone of Dr. Mario, which is a clone of Kirby! :grin:
The secret is, everything ends up being a clone of kirby

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Which it almost certainly will if the subject at hand keeps being The Ridley Thread: A Love Story featuring the occasional Mr. Lange/Deity.

I didn't mean it like that, just that I'm a not before marriage type person.~

Plus I have a few other suitors in the backroom. Gotta keep my wits about me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm sure someone has brought this up in this thread before but I was thinking about the argument often made against Ridley in how having him fight in light hearted matches in Smash would go against his character because he's too evil and all that jazz but how would you explain Ganondorf then? We already have one genocidal maniac that can don bunny hoods and eat spicy curry without people raising any major objections so why would Ridley be significantly different?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm sure someone has brought this up in this thread before but I was thinking about the argument often made against Ridley in how having him fight in light hearted matches in Smash would go against his character because he's too evil and all that jazz but how would you explain Ganondorf then? We already have one genocidal maniac that can don bunny hoods and eat spicy curry without people raising any major objections so why would Ridley be significantly different?
We call that the "Ridley is Too Cool" argument.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The secret is, everything ends up being a clone of kirby
The secret is Kirby is a clone of Samus
Who is a clone of Master Hand
Who is a clone of white Kirby
who is a clone of yellow Kirby
who is a clone of purple Kirby
who is purple
and that purple is based off Ridley

OH MY GOLLY GEE GOD GUYS!!! RIDLEY CONFIRMED!!!!
Plus I have a few other suitors in the backroom. Gotta keep my wits about me.
...I feel the sudden urge to reach for popcorn and watch this settle... only for all of us to find out IsmaR is a ten year old boy outsmarting you fools on the internet.

No matter what happens, I will win, because this is my entertainment, and thanks to IsmaR always keeping things interesting, I will be happy, thus I win! :):grin::shades:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess I can list the arguments I see.

1. RIDLEH IS 2 BIGGG!!!!
2. Ridley is too "cool," violent, etc./ Doesn't fit the nature of smash.
3. Ridley is better suited as a boss.
4. Metroid only needs Samus.
5. Lack of popularity in Japan.
6. Too hard to implement.
7. Metroid isn't big enough for three characters.

Now we just need someone smart to make a counterpoint against them!

Top Bottom