• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
He wouldn't be the first person to snatch it offa Google image search :p

If you've seen my size-chart thread, then you know that I'm totally up for posing a crap-load of characters for pictures :3 I'm a machinimator, (currently working on a Brawl series named Next Smash), so I work a lot with Brawl and all of its characters and stages, imports or otherwise.

I made the Bowser animation, pretty much within the week that Smash4/5 were revealed. Yes, it's actually animated, I've got a preview of it on my Youtube. But since this is the Ridley thread, I'll leave the link to the video out.

My point is, yes, I'm totally up for making more images for clearer presentations of characters or even just cool action-y stuff like the Ridley/Samus pic I posted several pages back. (b'--')b

AWESOME! :D

Will come up with some sketches then! Technically I already did some stuff a bunch of pages back, but this will be primarily with the idea of it being that particular Ridley model.

Also should see this thread of yours, 'cause I haven't.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey, Angelglory, what do you think about Shokio ripping off your Metroid size comparison for his video's thumbnail?
No different from how Vaztor stole Oasis's old size comparison image for his blog awhile back. Shows how less creative the Ridley detractors usually are from the supporters. I guess it's an odd trend.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Yeah seeing Bowser next to Ridley doesn't make sense when I don't know Bowser in proportion to Samus.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think those stances look pretty good for Ridley. I think I would prefer Mario & Sonic Guy's, but both are pretty good.

We should probably compare Samus to Bowser to Ridley. Just to give us a good definitive comparison.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I want to see Ridley holding a Super Scope with his foot... or maybe carrying a crate with both feet. :awesome:

It would also be nice to see him compared to Kirby, the smallest character, or possibly even better would be Olimar since he comes up in this thread so much, lol.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I want to see Ridley holding a Super Scope with his foot... or maybe carrying a crate with both feet. :awesome:

It would also be nice to see him compared to Kirby, the smallest character, or possibly even better would be Olimar since he comes up in this thread so much, lol.
Can you imagine Ridley using a Cracker Launcher with his feet?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With the way Smash tends to make characters look more goofy than usual with the way they use certain items, yeah. Certainly could imagine it. Ridley with a baseball bat or just about anything would be utterly amusing though, really.

On a side note, when I replayed Smash 64 some not too long ago I noticed even Pikachu was able to grab/throw the giant DK mini-boss, so a character like Olimar throwing a playable Ridley that's whatever size would definitely not be impossible. Physics be damned.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Because God forbid anybody else have opinions that doesn't agree with the mainstream. Get off my ***, man.
While I haven't read any of your other posts because that would take time and less apathy, I can say that in the pre dojo days I was behind the Charizard support thread. Sure, it wasn't mainstream. Sure, even I thought there was no chance.

But when PKMN trainer was announced, it was a glorious day. BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Don't be so harsh to the guy, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and he brings nothing but support here it seems.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Have you seen how he's like in other threads? If there's one thing I kinda agree with him on though, it's people's stance on the "original 12" argument.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Have you seen how he's like in other threads? If there's one thing I kinda agree with him on though, it's people's stance on the "original 12" argument.
Yeah, I was part of a rough argument with him regarding whether the Mother franchise should stay or not in Chrono's character analysis thread. But still, I think it's unfair to shun him in this thread when he hasn't brought anything bad to it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
True. I see no reason not to welcome him as a Ridley fan if he supports the character and all.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Hey look, maybe I'm a bit harsh in other threads, but I have yet to do so here (and hopefully never so). I'm just throwing my support out there - nothing controversial here.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

I'd like to see Ridley hold small items with his tail, actually. He could hold crates and the such with his hands in front of him instead of above him like most characters.

While I haven't read any of your other posts because that would take time and less apathy, I can say that in the pre dojo days I was behind the Charizard support thread. Sure, it wasn't mainstream. Sure, even I thought there was no chance.

But when PKMN trainer was announced, it was a glorious day. BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS

You may want to double check on what these dreams are before you tell someone to believe in them. ;) What if someone's got a huge passion for murderin' peeps?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'd like to see Ridley hold small items with his tail, actually. He could hold crates and the such with his hands in front of him instead of above him like most characters.

You may want to double check on what these dreams are before you tell someone to believe in them. ;) What if someone's got a huge passion for murderin' peeps?
Trust.....weres my high school love and my Lambo at?

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I think Ridley would be an interesting aerial character if they give him jumps similar to the Kirby trio, Jigglypuff, and Pit. I fully support another Metroid rep, and Ridley is the way to go.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Aerial would definitely make the most sense considering the vast majority of Ridley attacks in the games are mostly aerial. Kind of wonder how a heavier aerial character would work out.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If by peeps you mean the easter candy, then I still back him 100%. I love ripping into those bad boys.

Trust.....weres my high school love and my Lambo at?
I hope this is a certain manga reference. +5 internet points if it is.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Well there is King Dedede, he's heavy and if you ask me, he's got some pretty darn good aerials.

Dedede is more or less a mixed character. He harasses the opponent on the ground with his projectiles, quick and ranged hits, good grab range and annoying chaingrab, and he even has his Inhale to catch opponents off guard. But once he gets his foe in the air, he goes after them with more direct attacks. He's not fast enough to chase anything down in the air, but he's also very difficult to challenge while airborne.

With Ridley, I see him working somewhat like a mix between Jigglypuff, Peach, and Dedede.... I should explain...

Like Jigglypuff, he has above-average aerial speed and can control his height very well with short but consistent midair jumps.

Like Peach, he can harass opponents with a mix of multi-hit attacks and moves that knock away, all off a few jumps.

Like Dedede, his moves would also have considerable range. This would be due to his tail and other appendages.

With all of this, Ridley seems like a terrible threat. But the tricky part would be actually getting people to face him in the air. On ground, Ridley would be slow and sort of clumsy, relying on staggered tail attacks, simple claw and bite moves, and fireballs to control space. In actuality he would be lacking in upward launching moves and would have to rely on finding ways to rack up damage to get his opponent into a danger zone where it's easy to get them airborne. Ridley would have throws as options, but only at lower percentages. Afterward they would launch the opponent a considerable distance and limit opportunities to go to work in the air.

BUT... once in the air, Ridley's chances of scoring a KO significantly increase. Optionally, Ridley can just stick to the air as often as possible and harass the opponent until they make a bad move. On the other hand, if they do get in, Ridley's huge frame and MODERATELY heavy body can quickly reverse the momentum against him.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Dedede is more or less a mixed character. He harasses the opponent on the ground with his projectiles, quick and ranged hits, good grab range and annoying chaingrab, and he even has his Inhale to catch opponents off guard. But once he gets his foe in the air, he goes after them with more direct attacks. He's not fast enough to chase anything down in the air, but he's also very difficult to challenge while airborne.

With Ridley, I see him working somewhat like a mix between Jigglypuff, Peach, and Dedede.... I should explain...

Like Jigglypuff, he has above-average aerial speed and can control his height very well with short but consistent midair jumps.

Like Peach, he can harass opponents with a mix of multi-hit attacks and moves that knock away, all off a few jumps.

Like Dedede, his moves would also have considerable range. This would be due to his tail and other appendages.

With all of this, Ridley seems like a terrible threat. But the tricky part would be actually getting people to face him in the air. On ground, Ridley would be slow and sort of clumsy, relying on staggered tail attacks, simple claw and bite moves, and fireballs to control space. In actuality he would be lacking in upward launching moves and would have to rely on finding ways to rack up damage to get his opponent into a danger zone where it's easy to get them airborne. Ridley would have throws as options, but only at lower percentages. Afterward they would launch the opponent a considerable distance and limit opportunities to go to work in the air.

BUT... once in the air, Ridley's chances of scoring a KO significantly increase. Optionally, Ridley can just stick to the air as often as possible and harass the opponent until they make a bad move. On the other hand, if they do get in, Ridley's huge frame and MODERATELY heavy body can quickly reverse the momentum against him.
I never said or meant to imply I thought Dedede was an air based character. He has good aerials, so long as they are used in the right situation.

I see your point though, Ridley would most likely do much better off as a heavy aerial.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I never said or meant to imply I thought Dedede was an air based character. He has good aerials, so long as they are used in the right situation.

I see your point though, Ridley would most likely do much better off as a heavy aerial.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were calling him air-based. Like you said, good aerials, but a tad situational.

As for what I said regarding Ridley and comparisons to other characters.... Strike Dedede, and replace with Ike. Yes, Ike.

When I thought about it, Ike's aerial attacks are very similar to how I imagine Ridley attacking in the air. Excluding Ike's FAir. Using his tail, Ridley launches quick and decisive strikes that cut through the air around, below, and behind him. Unlike Ike though, the attacks have to set the opponent up for more attacks, not knock them far away.

Truth be told, raw strength is something I would not prioritize when it comes to Ridley. He's always been about whittling down Samus's life in his games, not delivering singular powerful strikes. That ought to be retained.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were calling him air-based. Like you said, good aerials, but a tad situational.

As for what I said regarding Ridley and comparisons to other characters.... Strike Dedede, and replace with Ike. Yes, Ike.

When I thought about it, Ike's aerial attacks are very similar to how I imagine Ridley attacking in the air. Excluding Ike's FAir. Using his tail, Ridley launches quick and decisive strikes that cut through the air around, below, and behind him. Unlike Ike though, the attacks have to set the opponent up for more attacks, not knock them far away.

Truth be told, raw strength is something I would not prioritize when it comes to Ridley. He's always been about whittling down Samus's life in his games, not delivering singular powerful strikes. That ought to be retained.
Well, there is one exception to that.

In Other M on hard mode, nearly every attack he has can kill in one hit. I still think Ridley should be like how you said though. Ridley's slender limbs and tail are probably a reason why he wouldn't be able to cause so much damage, but aerial combos would do well for him. (his F-air could have decent knockback though, like he could smack you with it like one of his attacks in Super Metroid)

I bet even his grabs mostly be air-based as well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I support him holding items with his feet just because it would be reminiscent of him holding the baby Metroid in his talons. Especially while jumping/gliding.

The last image in this post from another thread:

Well this was Ridley in the original Metroid.

This is Ridley in Metroid: Zero Mission (A remake of the original game).

Looks like technical limitations to me.
Considering the original creator has unfortunately passed on since then (insert general Sakamoto ruined everything rant here), it could just as likely be different vision for the character as the situation demands. I'm not gonna pretend I know what their original vision was (though I acknowledge technical limitations being the reason behind a lot of things, such as being little being part of Mac from Punch-Out!!!'s gimmick) but I imagine they scale him up more than down most of the time, to make the boss (es) fights seem (literally) larger than life, and epic.

Ridley's (allegedly canon) first encounter with young Samus in the manga. Considering she grows up to be 6'+ amazon status not even counting the suit, I'd say they were intended to be more 'rival/nemesis size' status (think Ganondorf and Link, Bowser and Mario (in Smash), etc.) than the "towering evil giant vs going-against-the-odds-hero" (I think Mother Brain/the Metroid Queen fit that role better than Ridley, personally)

I also really doubt anyone would argue technical limitations when it comes to this (rather infamous) size comparison.

All in all I don't think what has been the case in the past should matter as much as what could be (potentially awesome).

/shamelessborevertising

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I support him holding items with his feet just because it would be reminiscent of him holding the baby Metroid in his talons. Especially while jumping/gliding.
That is exactly the reference I was going for, actually.

Would also help convey his aerial nature/playstyle.

I wonder how he would look holding the hammer with his feet then. :awesome:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I wonder how he would look holding the hammer with his feet then. :awesome:

I can answer that one!
He'd look dumb. :p

I'm imagining him hopping around on one foot while waggling the other one to shake the hammer.

It's, perhaps, not the most badass thing I've ever imagined...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The idea of Ridley running around swing a Mallet DK style is a strange enough image as it is... XD

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm picturing him grabbing the handle with both feet, and spinning around helicopter-style while hovering in place with his wings.

Pretty much picture Mewtwo's Hammermation, but with the user actually following the hammer.

Top Bottom