• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Pretty much everyone agrees his colors would be purple with orange wings (or red wings since he might get his Other M look), red/yellow, blue/fuchsia, green/red, and black/yellow (even though that doesn't really reference anything but I still see the come up all the time when this question is brought up). That just leaves one color, which would be anyone's guess. I think a whitish color would be good.

Did this while bored:

Just grabbed his Zero Mission sprite and recolored it to match the palettes you gave.
(Other M, Super Metroid artwork, Metroid (NES), Zero Mission, Meta Ridley-ish, Dunno what the last one is lol)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wish I knew more about the ridley argument so I could debate on Ridleys behalf in this other thread :(
I take it the thread you're talking about is the one that Krynxe recently moved here to character discussion? Wish he hadn't now, just so I wouldn't of laid eyes on those pages. Those guys aren't worth it. Needless to say though, I'd have more respect for the people there preferring K. Rool out of the two if not most of it being based off the toobigotryfluence.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ridley is so big that once he accidentally smash brothers

It was because he was too big to afraid of anything
Naaaa Naaa.

Yo..Yo Check it, Ridley is Soooooooooow BIG! That he needs to pay taxes in two different countries.

EDIT: Ahhh what happened to that ''Ridley doesnt care about your cannon''

Pic? LMFAOOO i lost it..and i cant find it...please someone post it up loool..

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
EDIT: Ahhh what happened to that ''Ridley doesnt care about your cannon''

Pic? LMFAOOO i lost it..and i cant find it...please someone post it up loool..
Don't worry, I try to save all the good ones, I have that one. I'd repost it but I'm at work haha

The pic is good because Ridley is also pirate type so it makes sense for him to use cannons.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
*too lazy to look at past pages*

Anyone seen that vid of Shokio where he called "Ridley for Smash4" fans idiots?
I lol'd at his poor argument. Guy is so condescending

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Short answer: Yeah, and we didn't care for it. You should see BKupa's parody of the whole thing, while you're at it. It's not nearly as much of a waste of time as Shokio's video. :awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We can mock him all we want, and it's completely justified, but I figured I might aswell point out why logically his arguments don't work, since so many people actually seem to fall for his weak points. Just gonna quote myself, posted it in another thread, but since it's being taken here too I figured I might aswell spare someone else from having to explain why he is, to say it kindly, an idiot:

Problem with his arguments are, and I hate to say this, that he doesn't get Ridley's character.

I appreciate him trying to knock down the NES excuse, because it isn't valid, though he doesn't do it properly, the reason the NES appearance is invalid isn't because of technical limitations or that it's only 1 out of 8 Metroid games he's in, it's because it's been retconned with Zero Mission. So yeah, even when he knocks down the invalid arguments it doesn't work, because he's doing it wrong.

Okay, so we move onto the next thing, and that's his reasoning for that Olimar and Bowser can be shrunken down, and Ridley can't. Again, he flops a counterargument with Bowser. It's perfectly viable for Bowser to be shrinken down because in spin-off games like Mario Kart he's already getting shrinken down, and then there's Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 too, both when remade still made him the same size. But no, his argument is that he's a turtle. Then there's the Olimar thing, and yeah I'll give him that, fair argument, however, Olimar still serves as a good argument for Ridley supporters.

You see, and this is where I'm getting at, Olimar's game and character is mostly about being small. Being in this big world where everyday objects suddenly are massive, that's part of the appeal of Pikmin. Is Ridley's size part of his appeal? Sure, but a very small part of it. Ridley's character isn't about being big, I don't know when people began believing this, but it isn't. A big thing about Olimar's character is that he's so small, and yet they had no problem resizing him. Ridley is Samus' archnemesis, just like Bowser is Mario's, Ganondorf is Link's and Wolf is Fox's. That's Ridley's role, his role isn't to solely be a big threatening dragon in the Metroid games, if you honestly believe that then I'm sorry, but you missed the point of Ridley's presence in every of those games. So again, I'm sorry, but the "he's a dragon, thus he can't be scaled down" argument is ****ing weak, because Ridley isn't just a generic big dragon, he's Samus' rival, he's incredibly intelligent and the head of the Space Pirates, that's his character, he isn't about being big. That's why Ridley can be resized and Kraid can't, because Kraid is only about being big. He has become as much a fan favorite for Metroid fans as Ganondorf has become for Zelda fans. He's no doubt one of the last Nintendo All-Stars that are missing from a playable role in the game.

As for the fan-made character models, have you seen how the majority of them handles his neck? That's why he looks out of place, they don't change the proportions as necessary or pose him accurately so he can look big while being small. Instead, they make him lean, pose his neck in a weird manner, and thus they're forced to make his head small and stuff like that. A professional team can scale proportions properly, one person working on a mod can't.

Plus, then there's of course a big thing I notice that nearly nobody takes into consideration. Why can Mario Kart resize Bowser and Petey Piranha? Why can Smash Bros resize Olimar? It's a spin-off series for christ's sake people, there's no such thing as canon, pretty much all Nintendo characters can and have been molded and shaped after which role they need to fill anyways, even Ridley is scaled down during the course of Metroid Prime 3, he's a lot smaller as Omega Ridley than as Meta Ridley in that game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Didn't watch all of it myself, but it says something when peeps in the other thread claim that the video had some "good points".

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I mean, I sometimes feel someone's an idiot when they tell me the Ridley in the smash melee trailer is something that's impossible to accomplish in Sm4sh, or that Ridley's size is more a imperative aspect of his character than Olimar's size to his character, but I don't go making youtube videos about it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Lmfaooo...ahhh man..i just watched ''BKupa's vid'' for the first time...ahh man...i dunno what to say.......i honesty dont know what to say anymore..but *laughs* RealTalk.

I think im actually having a Sakurai moment...

@Oasis - i was gonna say before but i forgot - What you said about Sakurai looks into pre smash instead of during dev for choices is really good expecially how Ridley was strong during brawl and probaly even stronger now!

I mean so we know Sakurai wanted to add Vilager in Brawl so i guess newcomer priority goes.

Scrapped/Intended chars>Then whatever he thinks of

Well that boosted my belief in Ridley being playable.

Groose

Smash Champion
We can mock him all we want, and it's completely justified, but I figured I might aswell point out why logically his arguments don't work, since so many people actually seem to fall for his weak points. Just gonna quote myself, posted it in another thread, but since it's being taken here too I figured I might aswell spare someone else from having to explain why he is, to say it kindly, an idiot:

He does have good rhetoric. He makes great use of the phrase, "Ridley is big as ****" and also does point out an interesting thing here and there. Even so, there are certainly flaws to the majority of his points. If I were currently able to, I would make a response video that would put him in his place.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
He does have good rhetoric. He makes great use of the phrase, "Ridley is big as ****" and also does point out an interesting thing here and there. Even so, there are certainly flaws to the majority of his points. If I were currently able to, I would make a response video that would put him in his place.
Don't forget about "He looks ******** as SH*T!" when he talks about the Ridley PSA.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Scroll up.

I think Oasis should add a TOO BiG poll.

Or would the poll be too big? Loool im fascinated how a simple joke can remain funny for over 5 years...thats some s_it you gotta admit!
s_it and admit... RHYME! WOAH YOU COULD BE A RAPER! I MEAN A RAPPER!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yo yo..check it.

My ***** Ridley is soooooooooo Big

That it took 7 Days for Arceus to create him and Then Arceus died on the 8th day from exhaustion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see how that's to scale. Ridley is a lot less than 4 million inches in that picture (Scale-wise) if you use the game as the basis/

If you use Ridley as the basis, the game is way too big

Top Bottom