• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Good ideas i have been seeing here....well anything is possible...thats the thing...i have no idea...

If Sakurai makes him a stage hazard then thats just Real sad...RealTalk...i dont even know what else to say....

Anything but playable this time around is beating around the bush at its finest.....

D

Deleted member

I'm a little more curious about how Ridley would have been as an Assist had Sakurai not made him as a boss instead.
What he would have done, what size he would have been.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm a little more curious about how Ridley would have been as an Assist had Sakurai not made him as a boss instead.
What he would have done, what size he would have been.

I'm thinkin' you'd see him fly into the background and then to the side and then a few seconds later he'd swoop across the stage while firing down explosive fireballs. He'd have to be one of the most threatening Assist Trophies.

And I think he would've been about the size of his Meta boss form, maybe a bit smaller.

Even though I know it won't happen (and I've already talked about it a few times around the boards), I'd love to have a trophy item that temporarily transforms your character into a gigantic creatures (boss, divine being etc) that you can control as your enemies beat down your Boss Stamina.

If Ridley doesn't get in as a normal playable character, I would at least love to play him in this form. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

So pretty much temporary boss states with Giga Bowser, Beast Ganon, Dreamy Luigi (thanks to Dream Team), Krusha K. Rool, Palutena :troll:, etc.?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley's wings only look smaller in his Brawl render...if you zoom in, they're their regular size. Just like in the Melee intro!

Here's an idea that can allow Smash Ridley to be a truly intimidating opponent for Samus: make him an absolute counter to her in every way possible. She wants to pepper him with projectiles? Give him that move from Other M where his skin darkens and reflects shots. She wants to sit back and charge her NSpec? Give him a fireball barrage he can send in her direction to interrupt her. And so on and so forth.

D

Deleted member

I think in general, Ridley should be a large character (largest character in the game, even), and have knockback resistance at lower percentages. In other words, as he takes damage, his resistance goes down.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I think Ridley could have been interesting as an AT, not because of his attacks but because he could have a new kind of AT :
The kind who attack everyone, even the character who would have summon him, bassicly the electrode/wobuffet of assist trophy, but much more agressive and able to move.

Because seriously what kind of reason would Ridley have to help you, it will make you think twice before you use an AT next time, for now enjoy your Non-Assist Trophy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think in general, Ridley should be a large character (largest character in the game, even), and have knockback resistance at lower percentages. In other words, as he takes damage, his resistance goes down.
Hmmm....yh like Bowser in Project M...hell some chars are powerful..but the powerful slow/big and fat chars gotta have something...

I agree.

Bowser & Ridley

Where D.K/DDD/K.Rool have other strengths they dont suffer as hard....

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
WHAT??!? WWWWWhAtT? You What!!!!?

Swearr down? Its like that yeah......? Wow...stab in the back...:( stab in the dark....

I dunno wtf to say...

With a homeboy aswell...WarioFan is a cool guy...cant believe you done me like this....RealTalk....Ugh...
Speechless.... We waz good....and then....just go...I think its best we ignore each other.

After i went and got this f_cking peice of s_it going straight in the trash !!

View attachment 1713

Man you two sound like such a troublesome couple, you guys seriously ought to sort this out before things start getting out of hand.

Anyways I just hope that Sakurai doesn't misinterpret the support for Ridley as, "We want to see him appear in Smash" as opposed to, "We want to see him as a playable character in Smash."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyways I just hope that Sakurai doesn't misinterpret the support for Ridley as, "We want to see him appear in Smash" as opposed to, "We want to see him as a playable character in Smash."
I'm sure Sakurai is smarter than that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I REALLY don't think he would interpret it that way.

First off, Ridley has appeared in all Smash games in some form. So why would we demanding Ridley to appear in Smash?

Secondly, that Sakurai interview where he was has specifically asked if Ridley was planned to be playable, to which Sakurai replied that he'd be a little slow.

I really don't see Sakurai interpreting it that way, lol.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think Ridley could have been interesting as an AT, not because of his attacks but because he could have a new kind of AT :
The kind who attack everyone, even the character who would have summon him, bassicly the electrode/wobuffet of assist trophy, but much more agressive and able to move.

Because seriously what kind of reason would Ridley have to help you, it will make you think twice before you use an AT next time, for now enjoy your Non-Assist Trophy.

I was thinking about that, but I think the same could be said about a lot of the current Assist Trophies like Andross and Waluigi. Of course, The Devil, Mr. Resetti and NintenDog do kind of just screw everyone up already.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I was thinking about that, but I think the same could be said about a lot of the current Assist Trophies like Andross and Waluigi. Of course, The Devil, Mr. Resetti and NintenDog do kind of just screw everyone up already.
Andross could be here to help Wolf to get ride of the Starfox crew and Waluigi would help Wario.
The Devil, Mr Resseti and the Nintendog don't try to kill you directly or intentionally.
Ridley wouldn't help any of the playable characters this far, he would just try to kill everyone.

Groose

Smash Champion
Here's an idea that can allow Smash Ridley to be a truly intimidating opponent for Samus: make him an absolute counter to her in every way possible. She wants to pepper him with projectiles? Give him that move from Other M where his skin darkens and reflects shots. She wants to sit back and charge her NSpec? Give him a fireball barrage he can send in her direction to interrupt her. And so on and so forth.
This is a wonderful idea. The only problem is you also would have to balance him so he's strong against Zero Suit Samus as well---after all, you wouldn't want her putting the beatdown on him after she sheds the armor.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I REALLY don't think he would interpret it that way.

First off, Ridley has appeared in all Smash games in some form. So why would we demanding Ridley to appear in Smash?

Secondly, that Sakurai interview where he was has specifically asked if Ridley was planned to be playable, to which Sakurai replied that he'd be a little slow.

I really don't see Sakurai interpreting it that way, lol.

I don't think it would be too presumptuous to say that the Metroid Series' and Ridley's general (and rising) popularity played a role in allowing Ridley to take a bigger and more appropriate role in Brawl as opposed to simply flying in the background or appearing in an opening cutscene.

I'm just wondering why Sakurai decided to implement Ridley as a boss instead of a playable character in Brawl if his team could have done so. It seemed as though Ridley did have a lot of support during pre-Brawl and Sakurai does carry the mindset of creating the best game possible, but what factors led Sakurai to choose him as a boss instead of a character? Was it time constraint, support came in too late into development, misinterpretation, easier to implement as a boss, more appropriate to implement as a boss, or a combination of the above? Sure this won't matter too much for his decision to be playable in the next game, in fact I'm quite hopeful we'll finally be able to play as him, but I would just like to be more informed as to why he missed his chance in Brawl.

All I can gather from that interview is that Ridley was impossible to implement as a playable character for some unspecified reason and that if his team made Ridley playable he would be a bit slow.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@kikaru
I think it was due to his late support. There were too many important characters competing for a roster spot, and a big purple dragon might have screamed "Boss" to Sakurai, when he was creating the SSE.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't think it would be too presumptuous to say that the Metroid Series' and Ridley's general (and rising) popularity played a role in allowing Ridley to take a bigger and more appropriate role in Brawl as opposed to simply flying in the background or appearing in an opening cutscene.

I'm just wondering why Sakurai decided to implement Ridley as a boss instead of a playable character in Brawl if his team could have done so. It seemed as though Ridley did have a lot of support during pre-Brawl and Sakurai does carry the mindset of creating the best game possible, but what factors led Sakurai to choose him as a boss instead of a character? Was it time constraint, support came in too late into development, misinterpretation, easier to implement as a boss, more appropriate to implement as a boss, or a combination of the above? Sure this won't matter too much for his decision to be playable in the next game, in fact I'm quite hopeful we'll finally be able to play as him, but I would just like to be more informed as to why he missed his chance in Brawl.

All I can gather from that interview is that Ridley was impossible to implement as a playable character for some unspecified reason and that if his team made Ridley playable he would be a bit slow.
I think that the idea of a playable Ridley just never crossed his mind before that interview.

Groose

Smash Champion
@kikaru
I think it was due to his late support. There were too many important characters competing for a roster spot, and a big purple dragon might have screamed "Boss" to Sakurai, when he was creating the SSE.

This. Keep in mind, when you have Wario, Dedede, Diddy, and Meta Knight to create, Ridley doesn't seem as blatantly notable.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also, Sakurai tends to look more "pre-previous game" than he does "pre-game in development" in terms of support. I think Pokemon Trainer is a good example of this? So a lot of Brawl characters were ones requested for Melee, and Ridley did not have much support back then.

So I mean, with Ridley's pre-Brawl support being so apparently infamous, could not imagine Sakurai would ignore that this time around since that pre-Brawl support is probably what he'll be looking at, lol. It doesn't hurt that Ridley has lot pretty much ZERO of that support even now.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Man you two sound like such a troublesome couple, you guys seriously ought to sort this out before things start getting out of hand.

Were seeking Relationship advice its cool.

It seems like a one way street..well..as far as effection goes....(-_-)

-On Topic- Arent the chars meant to be balanced as a whole as a cast? Not just against there rivals?

But how is Size balanced then? It wouldnt hurt really to have shortened samus a tinyyyy bit for Ridley does it matter?

You know in all Seriousness its really hard to say because we pretty much need to see Sakurai's Ridley....i think we all can agree expecially by looking at the brawl hacks is that Ridleys stance is the main point so far imo the crawling to move/dash is fine like in other M it looks fitting and its pretty much the best natural looking way for Ridley.

I get what people mean about his animations it is pretty hard to picture but im Sure Sakurai can do it i know he can Ridley is not to BiG but its upto Sakurai.

What we find acceptable he may not..thats thing...thats what it boils down to imo.

I mean brawl was a slow game yes but imo i also think a reason Samus was slowed down was to better flesh out ZSS speed to help set em apart more you know what i mean?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm sure Sakurai is smarter than that.
Yh but thats the F_cked thing...he could if he wanted to...who is gonna stop him?

Who knows he might have tried Ridley and in his eyes it didnt seem right...and instead make him A boss?
Stage Hazard?

Who is gonna know that he even tried him in the first place?

I mean if he does end up being in the game in any shape, form / Role or whatever OTHER than a playable char whats gonna be the mindset of Ridley's Devolopment process for the People of this thread?

Should we all assume he tried but he didnt think it was right?

Popularity alone is not enough to get you into Smash you all know that and Sakurai never has or will ad Every single Largly popular requested char anyway in Smash in general.

When Sakurai was first asked about Ridley and he laughed...(-_-)

People say he was suprised was it a suprised laugh as in..

#1 Lol Really...Ridley Playable...havent heard that one before...

#2 Holy cow these PeePz are sharp its like they knew i tried..but it wasent the right time..(like Villager) he didnt have enough time?

#3 Just a laugh out of happiness for the outragous creative char request the fans come out with and knowing how excited he makes People when he is making a new smash so laughed in happiness.

Its Tough..alotta Questions....
Sorta just stiching the Blanket for us to fall on here...anything can happen...

RealTalk.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
About that interview...

For us, the day Sakurai graced that interviewer with his presence was the most important day of the Ridley fans' lives.

...But for Sakurai, it was Tuesday.

Let that wisdom sink in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
i wonder what his ALT colors would be?:ohwell:
Pretty much everyone agrees his colors would be purple with orange wings (or red wings since he might get his Other M look), red/yellow, blue/fuchsia, green/red, and black/yellow (even though that doesn't really reference anything but I still see the come up all the time when this question is brought up). That just leaves one color, which would be anyone's guess. I think a whitish color would be good.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much everyone agrees his colors would be purple with orange wings (or red wings since he might get his Other M look), red/yellow, blue/fuchsia, green/red, and black/yellow (even though that doesn't really reference anything but I still see the come up all the time when this question is brought up). That just leaves one color, which would be anyone's guess. I think a whitish color would be good.
it be funny if they color him orange w/ blueish green color to reference charizard.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
black/yellow (even though that doesn't really reference anything but I still see the come up all the time when this question is brought up)
It references Meta Ridley, given that he is enhanced by a very blackish metal. I personally think a better reference to Meta Ridley would be gray/yellow, but black works too.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It references Meta Ridley, given that he is enhanced by a very blackish metal. I personally think a better reference to Meta Ridley would be gray/yellow, but black works too.
If you really look at Prime Meta Ridley pictures, his colors match up with the Brawl version, the color scheme in that game though is just more subdued I think so a lot of people make that mistake. Or maybe the developers thought bright purple wasn't intimidating, lol. WHATEVER, I guess the point is we've never actually had a black Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If you really look at Prime Meta Ridley pictures, his colors match up with the Brawl version, the color scheme in that game though is just more subdued I think so a lot of people make that mistake. Or maybe the developers thought bright purple wasn't intimidating, lol. WHATEVER, I guess the point is we've never actually had a black Ridley.
Yeah, as I said, I think gray/yellow would work better. The lightning in Prime is usually very dark, and when people think of Meta Ridley many people think of this particular scene:

Here he comes off as having a very dark almost black texture, which is probably what's throwing people off.

However, in bright daylight his gray color scheme is much clearer:

I'd personally love a gray/yellow costume over a black/yellow one.

Sorry for giant pictures by the way, but it's simply impossible to find small pictures that showcase the colors properly. I guess even the pictures of Ridley are too big.

Reznor

work in progress
I wish I knew more about the ridley argument so I could debate on Ridleys behalf in this other thread :(

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wish I knew more about the ridley argument so I could debate on Ridleys behalf in this other thread :(
I just posted a lengthy argument countering that nonesense "Ridley is too big" video in the K. Rool vs Ridley thread that's going on at the SSB4 General Discussions board, check it out if you want to have some counter arguments in the future.

Top Bottom