• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He'd carry it around with one foot, and when he fires it he'd grab the end of it with his other foot to help aim. Seeing him hold shooting items with his feet would be so cool. Just moving around shooting, hovering above ground... Somehow I just find that to be a very satisfying image, lol.

Also you're the best Ismar, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking Ridley Hammercopter.

Though I guess to be realistic, he'd probably hold those normally. Possibly the battering items too.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and I may have posted something here or there, but I honestly think Ridley is among the most deserving Smash Newcomers (Little Mac being the other IMO). He's just so cool, and so iconic, and so, I don't know. I just want to play Ridley vs. Kirby with my brother. Make it happen!

D

Deleted member

Dedede is more or less a mixed character. He harasses the opponent on the ground with his projectiles, quick and ranged hits, good grab range and annoying chaingrab, and he even has his Inhale to catch opponents off guard. But once he gets his foe in the air, he goes after them with more direct attacks. He's not fast enough to chase anything down in the air, but he's also very difficult to challenge while airborne.

With Ridley, I see him working somewhat like a mix between Jigglypuff, Peach, and Dedede.... I should explain...

Like Jigglypuff, he has above-average aerial speed and can control his height very well with short but consistent midair jumps.

Like Peach, he can harass opponents with a mix of multi-hit attacks and moves that knock away, all off a few jumps.

Like Dedede, his moves would also have considerable range. This would be due to his tail and other appendages.

With all of this, Ridley seems like a terrible threat. But the tricky part would be actually getting people to face him in the air. On ground, Ridley would be slow and sort of clumsy, relying on staggered tail attacks, simple claw and bite moves, and fireballs to control space. In actuality he would be lacking in upward launching moves and would have to rely on finding ways to rack up damage to get his opponent into a danger zone where it's easy to get them airborne. Ridley would have throws as options, but only at lower percentages. Afterward they would launch the opponent a considerable distance and limit opportunities to go to work in the air.

BUT... once in the air, Ridley's chances of scoring a KO significantly increase. Optionally, Ridley can just stick to the air as often as possible and harass the opponent until they make a bad move. On the other hand, if they do get in, Ridley's huge frame and MODERATELY heavy body can quickly reverse the momentum against him.
Probably the best interpretation I've heard of a potential playstyle.

Much more in detail than my simple "slow and lumbering on the ground, fast and deadly in the air" statements. :(

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
If you're going to be homophobic, then GTFO. Ridley supporters are too Strong to fall victim to any kind of bigotry, not just toobiggotry.
All I did in this forum was throw my support to Ridley, and I get called a piece of **** for it. I didn't call anybody names. I just threw my support for Ridley, and THAT WAS IT. :ohwell: Besides... Ridley supporters will have all sorts of different kinds of people. Forget about political connotations, and focus on the gmaing aspects of my posts. My decision on Ridley stands proud.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I know that in this thread you didn't do anything and were getting yelled at for being a **** on other threads, and that shouldn't happen. They should have argued with you in the threads you're actually being jerky in, and not spread it to this one. However, when you responded back at Oasis with a comment on his avatar with rather obvious anti-gay/anti- femininity in males implications, I'm going to call you out on it. This is a gaming forum. Keep your desires to condemn another subset of human beings to hell for being different the hell out of it. I shouldn't have to ignore your political views, since they shouldn't even be there.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Pfff, my masculinity is beyond comprehension.

I was just going to say your bad decisions don't go away just because you change threads, lol. If you don't want people thinking of you as a little ****, then you probably shouldn't have been acting like one. Shouldn't be surprising that people wouldn't want to be around you, lol.

Unless you're Ridley, and you can be the biggest jerkhole in Nintendo history and still gain a rabid fanbase to rally support behind you. Yeah, see how I turned that around.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
If you're going to be homophobic, then GTFO. Ridley supporters are too Strong to fall victim to any kind of bigotry, not just toobiggotry.
He didn't even say anything homophobic?
He just insulted the guy's avatar in the VAGUEST way possible.
You read too much into it. If he's going to imply homophobia, who the **** cares?
He didn't say anything. Shut the **** up about it and talk about Ridley.

It was like the weakest ****ing insult ever anyway.
With an Avatar picture like that... I wouldn't be insulting anybody else, if I were you.
Look at that. That's like grade school insult level.

Anomilus' playstyle makes a lot of sense. Dangerous in the air, slow and lame on the ground. Plus he'd be pretty simple to land a hit on given his size, which would be a pretty fair given that he would be a powerhouse in the air.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He didn't even say anything homophobic?
He just insulted the guy's avatar in the VAGUEST way possible.
You read too much into it. If he's going to imply homophobia, who the **** cares?
He didn't say anything. Shut the **** up about it and talk about Ridley.

It was like the weakest ****ing insult ever anyway.
His homophobic stance was established in another thread, which is why Rabid accused him of being just that. After his display in the Geno thread I really don't want this guy to be around these parts, especially not when Golden is also a pretty frequent visitor to this thread.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and idk what else he'd be trying to say about that avatar. It's a man in a maid suit with an arm cannon. Pretty damn awesome.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
His homophobic stance was established in another thread, which is why Rabid accused him of being just that. After his display in the Geno thread I really don't want this guy to be around these parts, especially not when Golden is also a pretty frequent visitor to this thread.
I find this discussion..eh hem....sorry ''Argument...(-_-)

Offensive to homosexuals.....

Just kiss and make up for F_ck sake...didnt wanna get involved but seeing how this is a Ridley thread and he is a total badass you PeePz are disgracing him...and acting the complete opposite...sheesh...worse than Baby Mario & Luigi...RealTalk.

I maybe New but i have learnt that the veterans really lose sight and just mould into assholes....

A Char support thread you like a char? Want him in? You support him end of.

Revelance
Popularity
And so on...its all Bull* when it comes to support because its all Opnion...

Bottom line: Stop taking s_it so serious

GeeZ ''RealTalk'' it aint just some cheesy overused meaningless catchphrase...it is what it is.

''Real-Talk''

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, seriously... Seems like some of you guys are itching to jump on DivineDeity the second he even slightly hints at an unfavorable opinion.

So now...

...I was thinking maybe I ought to go ahead and dabble a bit in Brawlbox now that I know that's all you need to mess with some of Brawl's models.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hey, it's cool that he supports Ridley but that doesn't make him any less trash.

Are we going to once again put Ridley on a pedestal and pretend his thread exists in a vacuum.

Feel free to argue by the way, it only makes my thread even larger than K. Rool's.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Hey, it's cool that he supports Ridley but that doesn't make him any less trash.

Are we going to once again put Ridley on a pedestal and pretend his thread exists in a vacuum.

Feel free to argue by the way, it only makes my thread even larger than K. Rool's.
As much as I support Ridley, I refuse to communicate with a vile piece of rotten trash such as yourself. Thank you all, and have a good day. :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As much as I support Ridley, I refuse to communicate with a vile piece of rotten trash such as yourself. Thank you all, and have a good day. :)
And what makes him trash exactly?

He's a cool guys with the Strength of Sixty men.

Back off, be an asshole somewhere else.

Seriously, this little ****er's clearly like 7 years old.
We warned ya!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sigh. Why do I bother keeping up with this place.. I'd sooner have another rehashed size argument with someone about Ridley than read more of what's going on here now.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Sigh. Why do I bother keeping up with this place.. I'd sooner have another rehashed size argument with someone about Ridley than read more of what's going on here now.

Yeah... I unwatched this thread because I got so tired of it back in the day, but I'm pretty sure I've read every single post since then.

I dunno, man. I think we're unhealthily addicted.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Has this thread calmed down?

(>_>)

(<_<)

Good.

Anyways, Anomilus's playstyle idea is great and suits Ridley well. Though I don't think I'd be maining him with that kind of playstyle.:ohwell:

Are people still holding out hope for a non-Other M Ridley?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Has this thread calmed down?

(>_>)

(<_<)

Good.

Anyways, Anomilus's playstyle idea is great and suits Ridley well. Though I don't think I'd be maining him with that kind of playstyle.:ohwell:

I'm holding out hope for a mixed-design Ridley that takes notes from Other M as well as combining the style that's already been shown in Smash.

I think it's very likely that I won't be maining Ridley if he gets in... but who knows. Perhaps larger characters will just be better overall this time around, but I certainly never liked playing Bowser or Dedede so I don't really expect Ridley to be my style either.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Nah, I'm definitely expecting the Other M model. I'm hoping they'll edit the model though, like they did with Samus' Other M model, hopefully give him a bigger upper jaw, that's all he really needs, and maybe less random spikes too, and of course his proportions would have to be edited quite a lot too.

I'll be maining Ridley no matter what if he's in, been waiting for it for too long, no way I would not main my favorite Nintendo character. The only thing that'd stop me from maining Ridley was if he turned everyone into babies, and maybe if he turns out to be as OP as Meta Knight in Brawl, though both of those are super unlikely.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Since we got Samus' Other M model, I think we MIGHT get Ridley's Other M design as well, but I think he was made less recognizable than Samus' new design, so he might get his design from other games.

I just want his regular appearance.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Since we got Samus' Other M model, I think we MIGHT get Ridley's Other M design as well, but I think he was made less recognizable than Samus' new design, so he might get his design from other games.

I just want his regular appearance.
I think they would just use his normal appearance - you probably don't have to worry.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Our best hope is that Sakurai gets lazy and just ports his Brawl model with a resize and hd textures. Otherwise, duck beak, mindless beast eyes, and gorilla arms it is.:crying:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ridley's chances are, in my opinion, roughly 45%.

I believe this because Sakurai said he would get rid of the Subspace Emissary because of its lack of popularity. Which increases Ridley's chances of becoming a character, since he does not scream 'boss character' to Sakurai.

However, if Sakurai plans on developing on a new mode that works something like Melee's Adventure mode, then hopefully Ridley will not be a Computer Only or Master Hand-esque character.

To me, it all depends if Sakurai:

1) Finds Ridley worth the trouble of implementing (sorry if misspelled and I think Ridley is worth it.)
2) Time constraints could led to Ridley being cut out of the roster.
3) If Sakurai has not already given Ridley an existing role.
4) Would he have priority over new IP reps? Such as Isaac and such? In my book, yes, not to make Golden Sun fans mad, but it all depends on what Sakurai thinks.

Note: The reason I think the Retro version of Donkey Kong didn't make a difference is because that particular Donkey Kong is actually Cranky Kong.

tl;dr To me, the only thing holding Ridley back is what Sakurai sees in him and if Ridley does not have an already existing role. Edit: And time constraints.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
At this point I think the only way we'll get Classic design Ridley is either through alternate costume or they draw some traits from those designs and work them into Other M Ridley a la Link.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
With an Avatar picture like that... I wouldn't be insulting anybody else, if I were you.
If you are implying he is queerosexual or not manly or something,
would beg to differ.

That said I think all the personal stuff should be left out of this (and pretty much every) discussion. I think both sides are a bit ridiculous, but then again I have nothing against you to begin with. A person could be the scum of the Earth, and I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt/fight for them for supporting Ridley. Despite that, I hope you stick to your own word and stop communicating or whatever. You don't know the guy, nor the personal reasons he has the avi.

Now back to business, I'd be glad for Ridley of any kind. Even the female one.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's like the 3rd or 4th time that's been posted in here, so yes.

Interestingly enough, though Ridley is supposed to gender-neutral/presumed male, one of the Metroid Prime developers referred to it exclusively as female.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Interestingly enough, though Ridley is supposed to gender-neutral/presumed male, one of the Metroid Prime developers referred to it exclusively as female.
Really? I never thought about Ridley being female. Maybe I haven't played the Metroid games in awhile, but I never recall Ridley being referred to any gender in the games. I always thought Ridley as an it, since Ridley looks like a product of some sort of experiment, to me at least.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, Ridley's race is the original race of Zebes iirc, and I suppose there'd be different genders so that they could reproduce. Ridley has always been a male in my eyes.

Also, about the Other M design, I'm pretty certain they'll at least give him pupils. As I've stated quite some time earlier in this thread, Smash Bros characters all have distinct personalities despite the majority of them never letting out proper sentences, and a lot of that lies in facial expressions. In Ridley's case his eyes would be the only thing to emote any kind of personality, you can see how well they did that with his Brawl model too, so I'm sure they'll do at least that.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't think a gender has been heavily established, though probably because it doesn't heavily matter, Ridley being male or female doesn't really change its characteristic in any particular manner, it's still a vicious monster either way.

I think we mostly assume in the absence of evidence mostly because their no gender specific apperance that would suggest we as humans would be able to identify at first glance so we default to male for some reason.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And now... THE CHAMP HAS COME BACK TO THE RIDLEY BELT!!!

TO SHOW HIS BELT AND LET THE SMASH WORLD KNOW THAT THE GREAT ONE WILL GO ONE ON ONE AND DEFEND THE CUNNING UNDEAD ONE!!!

Female vs. Female cat fights are more interesting than male vs. female fights, especially since in this situation there is no sexual tension.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, Ridley's race is the original race of Zebes iirc...
Imagine what went down when the Space Pirates showed up.

"Alright, so you're invading my planet. That's cool. Let me just put this out there, but the only condition where I won't KILL EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU MYSELF is if you let me join... aaand you make me your leader."

Cue thousands of space lobsters nodding in agreement.

Top Bottom