• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Were there even any real fights after the Metroid queen? All I remember were cutscenes, and that one part where you protect the scientist (which was annoying)

What's the point in giving you the most powerful power up in the game, only right before you use it to finish the last boss?

It was kind of an anti-climatic ending. Although I was happy that Anthony survived. He had style :smirk:
After the credits, there is few Rhedogians, Desbrachians and other enemies like that before, during and after Phantoon fight. Or you didn't fully finished the game? It isn't that anti-climatic compared to MB "fight".

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Why does he have to have as many jumps as Kirby or Meta Knight? If he has a float ability, that'd be all he needs. Everyone has a double jump, so he'd still have that. If he has a float there's no "need" to give him extra jumps.
Because I think he'll get multiple jumps due to being mostly an airborne fighter in the Metroid games. (And naturally I think characters who have wings like Pit and Charizard should have those multiple jumps.)
Probably not the best argument I planned though.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Every day I become more unsure, about our beloved Ridley. Why would he elaborate on Ridley so much as is, to cause great disbelief in his chances in the fan base and to make any topic in relation to the hope or disbelief of his position in the game. That is, if he knew of the fan base's yearning and requests. We do know for a fact he is definitely in some form in the game.

My point is, he knows of our plight.
I think he does know some of the issues and characters we support on the community, and even if we don't realise it, he addresses it as a Smash fan would.

Look at the Smash Direct, for instance.
During the section with Zelda, right after, he said something to the lines of; "What happened to Sheik? Don't worry, Sheik is back".
He knows that fans would worry about her returning, right after he stated that there were to be no transformation characters. Just look at the phrasing.
Another example is at the Yoshi reveal, and how he states why he was overhauled. Why would he even give a reason? He didn't need to say why he wasn't revealed instantly, but he gave the answer to one of the biggest questions from the fans.
He even went and looked to see that Megaman was the most requested character and added him. Where would he get that information? He'd probably went to somewhere or some website like ours where Smash fans congregate and seen what we have speculated. And if he saw things like fans complaining about Yoshi, what's to stop him from seeing things like the biggest monstrosity of a debate I've ever seen in a fan base, and that's Ridley.

I may be wrong, he can act of his own accord but my point is that he has some general understanding of what the fans are thinking.
RealTalk

Stand Alone Charixard is probly the biggest 1 but that may be for another reason why transforms were cut but he kept Charizard though

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
After the credits, there is few Rhedogians, Desbrachians and other enemies like that before, during and after Phantoon fight. Or you didn't fully finished the game? It isn't that anti-climatic compared to MB "fight".
Oh @.@ I switched my screen back to my computer monitor (I use the same thing for my wii u and pc) when the credits started rolling, and then went on a walk, and the wii U had self powered down by the time I got back.... whoops.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Wait...doesn't that means she can just send him into the space since she controls his flight?
Well she could do that in KI:U, yes. But whoever hosts Smash propably put a few limitations on her power, with her being a goddess and all. So, i could see Ridley getting the flight-recovery, and also getting restrictions on his power making the "he is too powerful11!!11!! argument 0 and void, not that it had any merit whatsoever anyway.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wouldn't Ridley having a flying mechanic while also having multiple jumps be considered broken as Metaknight?
Meta Knight isn't broken because of his jumps, he is broken because of his attack priority, little to no landing lag, countless safe options, fast and powerful attacks, reliable approaches, just to name some things. Jumps and a good recovery doesn't make anyone overpowered if you also give them glaring weaknesses, Meta Knight is completely broken because he doesn't have any glaring flaws and on top of that has everything that makes a good character in Brawl. Ridley would still be a huge target, the flight mechanic seemingly only moves forward and maybe backwards judging from its animation, so it's also predictable and limited, his design in itself gives him bigger weaknesses than Meta Knight has.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Ridley having a flying mechanic while also having multiple jumps be considered broken as Metaknight?
He is broken due to everything in his moveset, his attacks are quick with no lag and have high priority, combined with his multijumps.
And Sakurai blames the playtesters lol.

Edit: :4greninja:

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the Space Jam theme song should be our "One of Us"
No, seriously
1. Space is in the title, Ridley lives there
2. One of the lyrics is "C'mon it's time to get hype"
3. Another lyric is "Pass that thing and watch me flex", giving Roidley much needed representation

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Hi, im here again ... kinda surprise how this thread is always active o.o not always talking about ridley though xD

But god so many supporters, makes me feel confident ^-^

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Could of doesn't matter here, the clone lived and died as a monster, simple as that.
So did the original, metaphorically speaking, etc. Doesn't matter what kind of experience or intelligence the original Ridley had; he was still just a monster.

See? Can play that game too, not that I like either version of him being downplayed.

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews...-smash-bros-best-character-game-in-the-world/

Yet another fact that helps Ridley is that Sakurai again states that he changed his mind about certain character's inclusion. In this case Pac-Man.
This gives me more confidence admittedly than just Sakurai changing his mind on Villager did. Cheers.

Oh, I just think aerial smashes in general sound silly. It's not that I wanted someone else to have them, I just don't like the idea of them. I guess I'd need Sakurai to sell me on them, as he has a few other things already. He's so damn good at making me like things I didn't think I would.

But yeah, I'll totally agree on the Other M Ridley boss fight being up there. Almost makes up for all the cutscenes xD
That's understandable. With the lack of C-stick on the 3DS, some are skeptical too on how aerial smashing would work naturally. Hope to be further convinced as well though on it being a workable feature on both versions.

Pretty much. So how do ya feel about the clone's armor skin trait being part of a Ridley moveset now, like as a special move for temporary projectile immunity or something? (assuming you didn't really know what to think of it before when seeing it in people's posted movesets) Still hoping he'd get that in some form, aside from having certain tail or claw attacks as a special.

So, I finished Other M this morning...

Gotta say, that game was really short. I think it was equal part gameplay and cutscene. I like that they tried to flesh out the story of a Metroid game through cutscenes, I just don't think they handled it well. Overall I don't regret playing the game, the Ridley boss fight was awesome. Although Ridley's demise was kinda dumb.... Also, they just kinda dropped the plotline of the deleter, which was kinda weird. And... I don't think I ever got power bombs?

I'm just disappointed it didn't distract me for very long. Gonna have to pour the weekend into Bravely Default, BattleBlack Theater, and maybe a few others if those don't last.
As mentioned, you got power bombs during the Queen Metroid fight which you had to use to destroy her from the inside. Game just wasn't clear to the player that they were useable at that point, which was why I died a lot when I got inside the Queen during my first playthrough and was like "Wait, why aren't the normal bombs killing her like in Metroid II?". xD

Goes without saying, but agree on Roidley's demise too. Seemed kind of anticlimactic since there was kind of a buildup at facing him again after the final encounter with Adam. "Defeat Ridley. He's as much a threat as the Metroids." But I guess they had to explain the existence of the frozen Ridley corpse in Fusion somehow.

The deleter was James by the way if I recall right. Was just one of those things the game left the player to connect the dots on I suppose. Anyway, there is the post-game segment where you can have a nice fanservicey fight with Phantoon from Super Metroid, but wouldn't blame ya if you just felt done with the game by now.

BattleBlock Theater's an odd game I have that's on my list to eventually complete as well. lol

And great moveset @ AustarusIV AustarusIV . That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see more of after the confirmation of aerial smashes.

But i have Ridley profile pic. You don't. So, you are disowned from this thread for trying to disown someone with a Ridley profile pic from this thread.
Well I have a Ridley related username so try to disown that with your profile pic. :troll:

Okay, that was bad.

What's the point in giving you the most powerful power up in the game, only right before you use it to finish the last boss?
Not like the series hasn't had a habit of doing that before. The Phazon Beam in the 1st Metroid Prime, the Hyper Beam in Super Metroid, the Omega Cannon in Prime Hunters... None of them were useable/attainable until the final boss. Other M and Fusion should've had their own unique ultimate weapons though with that said.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So did the original, metaphorically speaking, etc. Doesn't matter what kind of experience or intelligence the original Ridley had; he was still just a monster.

See? Can play that game too, not that I like either version of him being downplayed.

This gives me more confidence admittedly than just Sakurai changing his mind on Villager did. Cheers.

That's understandable. With the lack of C-stick on the 3DS, some are skeptical too on how aerial smashing would work naturally. Hope to be further convinced as well though on it being a workable feature on both versions.

Pretty much. So how do ya feel about the clone's armor skin trait being part of a Ridley moveset now, like as a special move for temporary projectile immunity or something? (assuming you didn't really know what to think of it before when seeing it in people's posted movesets) Still hoping he'd get that in some form, aside from having certain tail or claw attacks as a special.

As mentioned, you got power bombs during the Queen Metroid fight which you had to use to destroy her from the inside. Game just wasn't clear to the player that they were useable at that point, which was why I died a lot when I got inside the Queen during my first playthrough and was like "Wait, why aren't the normal bombs killing her like in Metroid II?". xD

Goes without saying, but agree on Roidley's demise too. Seemed kind of anticlimactic since there was kind of a buildup at facing him again after the final encounter with Adam. "Defeat Ridley. He's as much a threat as the Metroids." But I guess they had to explain the existence of the frozen Ridley corpse in Fusion somehow.

The deleter was James by the way if I recall right. Was just one of those things the game left the player to connect the dots on I suppose. Anyway, there is the post-game segment where you can have a nice fanservicey fight with Phantoon from Super Metroid, but wouldn't blame ya if you just felt done with the game by now.

BattleBlock Theater's an odd game I have that's on my list to eventually complete as well. lol

And great moveset @ AustarusIV AustarusIV . That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see more of after the confirmation of aerial smashes.

Well I have a Ridley related username so try to disown that with your profile pic. :troll:

Okay, that was bad.

Not like the series hasn't had a habit of doing that before. The Phazon Beam in the 1st Metroid Prime, the Hyper Beam in Super Metroid, the Omega Cannon in Prime Hunters... None of them were useable/attainable until the final boss. Other M and Fusion should've had their own unique ultimate weapons though with that said.
Thanks. Some of the moves that I thought of there were actually from earlier concepts that I made for Ridley's moveset, and that I revived them after seeing Robin's aerial smashes and my further analysis of the shadow.

I'm hoping that Ridley will play as closely as possible to the Super Metroid and Other M incarnations, at least when we finally see him built up by experienced game developers for Smash.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Joke's on you...my father's dead! XD
It is a lie.
Well she could do that in KI:U, yes. But whoever hosts Smash propably put a few limitations on her power, with her being a goddess and all. So, i could see Ridley getting the flight-recovery, and also getting restrictions on his power making the "he is too powerful11!!11!! argument 0 and void, not that it had any merit whatsoever anyway.
It is simpler to just remember Palutena, a goddes, being a playable character. It already makes it null and void. Ganondorf did that earlier, however, being demon king Demise's hatred and everything.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Other M disagrees
i guess we can consider samus a pathetic little girl who gives in to an even more pathetic guy and does whatever he tells her to do, then...

ok, from now on, samus is weak and pathetic, and unable to think for herself, and ridley is a pokemon... you heard it here first, folks... from TehEpicRyuga, other M is 100% canon, apparently, and is the definitive way to go for both samus and ridley.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
i guess we can consider samus a pathetic little girl who gives in to an even more pathetic guy and does whatever he tells her to do, then...

ok, from now on, samus is weak and pathetic, and unable to think for herself, and ridley is a pokemon... you heard it here first, folks... from TehEpicRyuga, other M is 100% canon, apparently, and is the definitive way to go for both samus and ridley.
It IS canon! All Metroid games are canon! I make a joke and then I get flak for making said joke? I KNOW Samus had a terrible character, but I don't think it's ruined as she didn't really have any character anywhere other than the canonical manga.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Why are you guys calling Ridley a dragon...?

He's a purple alien pterodactyl.
Pterodactyls don't have humanoid arms or webbed fingers for wings.

Inb4 the next Metroid game retcons Other M the crap out of existence.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
It IS canon! All Metroid games are canon! I make a joke and then I get flak for making said joke? I KNOW Samus had a terrible character, but I don't think it's ruined as she didn't really have any character anywhere other than the canonical manga.
everytime i hear about it, its mentioned as non-canon because it apparently ignored the canon of every other game... im not gonna pretend to know what the hell is going on, because i was never able to finish a metroid game, but considering i hear a general consensus of "other M sucks and is non-canon" or whatever...

also, if samus had a personality set in a CANONICAL manga... obviously other M ruined it!

meh, tensions are getting too damn high here... this is seriously driving me crazy.

god, this thread is unstable as hell.

goes from everyone happy, having fun, 100% confident ridley will be playable... to depressing, everyone doubting his playability... to completely enraged as detractors start crap, and random people just feel the need to argue over pointless details and whatever else.

maybe i came back too soon, but this thread moves so fast, i assumed the frustration would be gone by now... and that is obviously not true.

i cant stay away though, because i am too damn hungry for info on ridley... i have tried to leave several times, i'd close the tab out and everything, but i keep coming back... DAMN IT!

this thread is either going to reach 2000 pages before ridley is revealed, or its going to completely degenerate into a mess of hate-filled arguments until the mods finally get tired of it and close it.

either way, i just wish something would happen... BECAUSE ALL THIS TIME PASSING WITH NO END IN SIGHT IS MAKING ME LOSE MY MIND!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
everytime i hear about it, its mentioned as non-canon because it apparently ignored the canon of every other game... im not gonna pretend to know what the hell is going on, because i was never able to finish a metroid game, but considering i hear a general consensus of "other M sucks and is non-canon" or whatever...

meh, tensions are getting too damn high here... this is seriously driving me crazy.

god, this thread is unstable as hell.

goes from everyone happy, having fun, 100% confident ridley will be playable... to depressing, everyone doubting his playability... to completely enraged as detractors start crap, and random people just feel the need to argue over pointless details and whatever else.

maybe i came back too soon, but this thread moves so fast, i assumed the frustration would be gone by now... and that is obviously not true.

i cant stay away though, because i am too damn hungry for info on ridley... i have tried to leave several times, i'd close the tab out and everything, but i keep coming back... DAMN IT!

this thread is either going to reach 2000 pages before ridley is revealed, or its going to completely degenerate into a mess of hate-filled arguments until the mods finally get tired of it and close it.

either way, i just wish something would happen... BECAUSE ALL THIS TIME PASSING WITH NO END IN SIGHT IS MAKING ME LOSE MY MIND!
The thing is, Nintendo confirmed they are canon, the games say they are canon themselves, and a reason I went from happy to American Kirby boxart was because you suddenly tried to blacklist me from this thread for stating canon. I am not changing from 100% Playabley until a disconfirmation

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Ridley, our lord and savior who died for his our sins to then come back as a clone to die again for the same reason, why do some of us still doubt so much about your playable apparence in the next Smash. Sure, there his a few signs that hint that you're only a boss, but there is even more that hint your playability.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hoping Retro does it so that they can have revenge for Sakamoto spurting out that Prime is noncanon, even though Nintendo stated it was canon!
He didn't take the Prime series into consideration when writing Other M, that's all, he considers it a side story, which is exactly what it is.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So...if all Metroid games are canon...why did Metroid Pinball happen?

Hoping Retro does it so that they can have revenge for Sakamoto spurting out that Prime is noncanon, even though Nintendo stated it was canon!
I wonder if Retro would make a 2D Metroid game this time around. And what Ridley's incarnation would look like in that game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So...if all Metroid games are canon...why did Metroid Pinball happen?

I wonder if Retro would make a 2D Metroid game this time around. And what Ridley's incarnation would look like in that game.
Pinball is supposed to be Prime 1, only with different gameplay, and I forgot the one spin off in the franchise

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
All I need is a confirmation of a direct later this Month and then I'll be all set to start my hype train.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Don't resist. Just draw.
Ridley super-fans and Ice Climbers haters, avert your eyes.
Although I'm not putting it in a spoiler just to mess with you. :troll:

Feel free to watch the progress of me making this image by clicking on Popo's face > :popo:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

OH, HELL YEAH! ASSASSIN DANCE! I FINALLY GOT MY VACATIONS! :D

I'm going to be able to draw Ridley without feeling pressured because of school for two weeks!

And maybe, start practicing with my graphic tablet at last!
S2A571_0D6FBF1F4A042_001.gif

"It was just a matter of time...."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

OH, HELL YEAH! ASSASSIN DANCE! I FINALLY GOT MY VACATIONS! :D

I'm going to be able to draw Ridley without feeling pressured because of school for two weeks!

And maybe, start practicing with my graphic tablet at last!
View attachment 21740
"It was just metter of time...."
OH HELL NO! MY VACATION ENDS ON MONDAY! T-T

Oh well, at least everyone gets vacation sometime or another

Top Bottom