• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well if he were to be complete garbage on the ground its possible they could give him an outstanding air game you know.
But then he will be very close to s**t tier if he is garbage on the ground. Aerial game won't help him much if he can't get enemies off the ground. Kinda like Pichu's pointless size advantage (Pichu is very small, so, its hard to hit him/her, but that charater is still s**t tier). THAT is not proper way to represent Ridley. It is incorrect one. Worse than Ganondorf's since that guy is at least really strong without any weapons.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
You can add me to the support list. After watching a vid by Wiidude83 I am convinced he will make it in. It would be a bit awkward to see him in classic or something for me at least, but either at, I am sure he is in.
I love you, but don't drink that gosh darned splounge water.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
But then he will be very close to s**t tier if he is garbage on the ground. Aerial game won't help him much if he can't get enemies off the ground. Kinda like Pichu's pointless size advantage (Pichu is very small, so, its hard to hit him/her, but that charater is still s**t tier).
Don't forget the aerial game consists of Nair, Uair, Dair, Fair, and Bair. If Sakurai is listening to the competitive scene L-canceling, would help him (and the other characters, with out L-canceling that cripples characters aerials) a lot and he'd probably be one of the only characters that can grab while air-borne (that would be very interesting).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

You're just bitter over Prince Sable.
I'm not jealous or anything, as a supporter of Ridley, I just find the longevity of Ridley flying up in the air strange and to me makes me think he's a stage hazard.

Could be a new mechanic. No one ever thought that something like Little Mac's meter would exist. But it happened. Nothing is impossible in terms of new mechanics except for those that are impossible to add in a game like player getting real chocolate by getting chocolate food item.

@kisamehoshi34, double post. IsmaR-T type will bring rocket launcher and break through the door to get you for that. So...good luck...and keep your eyes open...always...
How would this new mechanic of long air game work while being balanced then?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't forget the aerial game consists of Nair, Uair, Dair, Fair, and Bair. If Sakurai is listening to the competitive scene L-canceling, would help him (and the other characters, with out L-canceling that cripples characters aerials) a lot and he'd probably be one of the only characters that can grab while air-borne (that would be very interesting).
Still, it won't get higher than low tier. Imagine Meta Knight that is as bad as Ganondorf ("garbage"). Will he be even close to high tier? No. Either way, it is wrong way to represent Ridley. He is not that bad on the ground. He is more like a crocodile out of the water - not as dangerous as when he is in the water (in air in Ridley's case), where he has higher mobility and just speed, but you really don't want to go near him. Just look at Other M Ridley fight! Does THAT fight looks horribly easy? No. Ridley is better in the air, no one doubts that, but he is not helpless on the ground, unlike pterosaurs for example.
Peach can jump, jump again, hover, then use Up B to slowly hover down while being able to attack and then (i think) reuse this attack. So, its not that bad. It could have some kind of stamina meter that would limit it and work like ROB's Neutral B or his Up B.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have to remember that balance comes into effect in Smash.
I'm not saying that Ridley will be "Air Mac" on the ground, but if Ridley's going to be the "Anti-Air Mac", he's probably going to be slow and cumbersome while grounded. Not weak, but not very effective.

As for "helpless pterosaurs" on the ground, you obviously haven't met Rodan. :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, I finished Other M this morning...

Gotta say, that game was really short. I think it was equal part gameplay and cutscene. I like that they tried to flesh out the story of a Metroid game through cutscenes, I just don't think they handled it well. Overall I don't regret playing the game, the Ridley boss fight was awesome. Although Ridley's demise was kinda dumb.... Also, they just kinda dropped the plotline of the deleter, which was kinda weird. And... I don't think I ever got power bombs?

I'm just disappointed it didn't distract me for very long. Gonna have to pour the weekend into Bravely Default, BattleBlack Theater, and maybe a few others if those don't last.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Moveset-crafting time.

After looking at Ridley's shadow, what if Ridley has an airgame that is completely different from everyone else in the game? Let's say that what we're looking at here is something that is unprecedented in the Smash Bros series.

Considering that Robin is confirmed to have aerial smashes, Ridley will take that concept and run (or fly) with it in his "flight mode". I imagine that some of his moves in the air will be at least somewhat reminiscent of his boss fight in Brawl, in which he makes dash attacks, grinds his tail against the floor, or swoops down at the fighters.

Smashes

:GCCL::GCCR:: Ridley will charge towards his opponents like he did in Brawl at 20% damage minimum with decent knockback. Sweetspot is somewhere around the tip of his snout, causing damage around 29%. The player has the option to continue the side smash if he or she connects with a player, making Ridley swipe at them. You can tilt the angle of Ridley's claw for either a meteor smash or an aerial smash if you want them flying in a star KO.

:GCCD:: Ridley will unleash his stinger-tail at the opponents at 22% damage minimum, and 30% damage maximum, with 36% damage at sweetspot (the tail-spike). Like the Side-Smash, you can tilt the angle to which his stinger-tail will land, and possibly even control its overall distance depending on how long you charge it.

:GCCU:: Ridley will start charging a plasma ball in his mouth, and will spit it upward for 15% damage minimum. If fully charged, it will hit at 31% damage, going at an even further distance.

And now for aerial attacks...

Forward aerial : Ridley makes an upward swipe at the players with his right claw (think Little Mac). Decent knockback.

Backward aerial: Ridley swings his left claw horizontally against the players behind him, which also has some decent knockback, and could be used to destroy weak projectiles like Samus's missiles. (I'm not too sure about this because I imagine that Ridley could use his shield during this mode, though that might make him OP. I still need to make some revisions later on).

:GCD::GCA:: Ridley swings his tail in an arch at 10% damage if sourspotted, 15% sweetspotted.

:GCU::GCA:: Ridley swings his right claw above his head (think Bowser), which has some pretty weak knockback but decent damage around 17%.

This is just something that I immediately thought of on the fly after analyzing the shadow, so I'm still thinking about the capabilities of what Ridley can do in "flight mode". I really don't do stuff like this often, but Ridley is such a ridiculously easy character to make a moveset for, that I couldn't help but get in on the action.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
As for "helpless pterosaurs" on the ground, you obviously haven't met Rodan. :troll:
Yes, Rodan is not that helpless on the ground, but he is obviously better in the air, he does not looks like actual pterosaur and Fire Rodan is better because freakin' laser beams.
So, I finished Other M this morning...

Gotta say, that game was really short. I think it was equal part gameplay and cutscene. I like that they tried to flesh out the story of a Metroid game through cutscenes, I just don't think they handled it well. Overall I don't regret playing the game, the Ridley boss fight was awesome. Although Ridley's demise was kinda dumb.... Also, they just kinda dropped the plotline of the deleter, which was kinda weird. And... I don't think I ever got power bombs?

I'm just disappointed it didn't distract me for very long. Gonna have to pour the weekend into Bravely Default, BattleBlack Theater, and maybe a few others if those don't last.
2D games are short too unless you don't know what to do. And you can use Power Bombs after Queen Metroid's fight like you did in the tutorial.

I will replay that game today too. Maybe its not that good...i played it in 2011...

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Still, it won't get higher than low tier. Imagine Meta Knight that is as bad as Ganondorf ("garbage"). Will he be even close to high tier? No. Either way, it is wrong way to represent Ridley. He is not that bad on the ground. He is more like a crocodile out of the water - not as dangerous as when he is in the water (in air in Ridley's case), where he has higher mobility and just speed, but you really don't want to go near him. Just look at Other M Ridley fight! Does THAT fight looks horribly easy? No. Ridley is better in the air, no one doubts that, but he is not helpless on the ground, unlike pterosaurs for example.
How is giving him a good air game a incorrect way to represent him? Plus we don't know how the tier lists would go this time around since some characters have received buffs and nerfs here and there. But even then, the team can't help where someone ends up on the tier list after release (Well we have the technology for patches so that is not a problem), it was Brawls engine that made certain characters worse that what they were. Look: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tier_list look at where Capt. Falcon and Ganondorf were in Melee in comparison to Brawl. But what I'm saying is if they want to keep balance, they'd have to make his game on the ground significantly worse than it is in the air, I don't see how balancing his air and ground game properly is not representing him properly, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, Rodan is not that helpless on the ground, but he is obviously better in the air, he does not looks like actual pterosaur and Fire Rodan is better because freakin' laser beams.
To be fair, OG Rodan had hurricane breath. I'm surprised that it hadn't been seen since....

....though Rodan is not Ridley, so I shouldn't be talking about him here. I apologize.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, I never thought Little Mac's K.O. meter was that balanced, either, or the fact Rosalina and her partner can be in two different spots of the battlefield. I mean c'mon, its a free OHKO! It could be that Ridley's hover is like Mewtwo's in Project M, where he can hover in any direction, but it consumes his second jump.

I still have yet to firgure out how he manages to stay afloat for that long... Again, K.O. meter exists, so I'm guessing everyone's stepping up on their A-game to stand a chance against "Shorty Mc.Handsomvoice", here. :4metaknight:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How is giving him a good air game a incorrect way to represent him? Plus we don't know how the tier lists would go this time around since some characters have received buffs and nerfs here and there. But even then, the team can't help where someone ends up on the tier list after release (Well we have the technology for patches so that is not a problem), it was Brawls engine that made certain characters worse that what they were. Look: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tier_list look at where Capt. Falcon and Ganondorf were in Melee in comparison to Brawl. But what I'm saying is if they want to keep balance, they'd have to make his game on the ground significantly worse than it is in the air, I don't see how balancing his air and ground game properly is not representing him properly, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Turning him into a garbage on the game even if you will make him really good in the air is the incorrect way to represent him. "Garbage" is not the first thing that comes to your mind when you see Ridley on the ground in Metroid games. Making it as good as Bowser (not very good, but not bad) will be better than turning him into garbage on the ground. Yes, Little Mac is garbage in the air, but what would you expect from a boxer in the air?
To be fair, OG Rodan had hurricane breath. I'm surprised that it hadn't been seen since....

....though Rodan is not Ridley, so I shouldn't be talking about him here. I apologize.
What does "OG" means? It still doesn't sounds as awesome as heat/fire beam.

...well...both are pterosaur-like and are BIG...so...its not off-topic...right?

D

Deleted member

I'm still supportive of the Godzilla-inspired energy meter that ties into his Kinetic Breath Weapon and flight.

What does "OG" means? It still doesn't sounds as awesome as heat/fire beam.
...well...both are pterosaur-like and are BIG...so...its not off-topic...right?
OG = Original. Or at least in this sense.
As in, in the original Rodan movie, both Rodan were capable of hurricane breath. No movie ever since had that ability for a Rodan.

Last edited by a moderator:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm not jealous or anything, as a supporter of Ridley, I just find the longevity of Ridley flying up in the air strange and to me makes me think he's a stage hazard.
I just find the fact that Rosalina is basically two separate fighters in one to be strange and to me makes me think she's an Assist Trophy. :troll:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
:GCR::GCA:: Ridley swings his left claw horizontally against the players behind him, which also has some decent knockback, and could be used to destroy weak projectiles like Samus's missiles. (I'm not too sure about this because I imagine that Ridley could use his shield during this mode, though that might make him OP. I still need to make some revisions later on).
I always thought a tail swipe would do better. If we get Roidley, the blade of the tail would make a brilliant sweetspot!

D

Deleted member

Ironically, Ridley being great in the air means one of his biggest threats is Jigglypuff (provided Jigglypuff doesn't suck like in Brawl).
....which is now a Dragon slayer.....

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I always thought a tail swipe would do better. If we get Roidley, the blade of the tail would make a brilliant sweetspot!
My moveset for Ridley already contains plenty of tail-swipes and jabs with his tail-spike, so I wanted to use some attacks that involved him swiping at other opponents. He does do that quite often in the Prime series and Other M.

I did consider that back-aerial at somepoint while making it though.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Turning him into a garbage on the game even if you will make him really good in the air is the incorrect way to represent him. "Garbage" is not the first thing that comes to your mind when you see Ridley on the ground in Metroid games. Making it as good as Bowser (not very good, but not bad) will be better than turning him into garbage on the ground. Yes, Little Mac is garbage in the air, but what would you expect from a boxer in the air?
But what about balance? How are you going to make someone incredibly good in the air without making his play-style on the ground worse. I didn't seriously mean make him complete garbage on the ground. I'm saying balance him out to where he's outstanding in the air and somewhat viable on the ground.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ironically, Ridley being great in the air means one of his biggest threats is Jigglypuff (provided Jigglypuff doesn't suck like in Brawl).
Ridley is not a dragon though, so, he is flying-fire type...are those weaker than fairy-types?
But what about balance? How are you going to make someone incredibly good in the air without making his play-style on the ground worse. I didn't seriously mean make him complete garbage on the ground. I'm saying balance him out to where he's outstanding in the air and somewhat viable on the ground.
Then its ok if he isn't complete garbage. Close to BRAWL Bowser would be perfect. SSB4 Bowser, from what i've heard, would be complete overkill and would turn Ridley into God Tier guy.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Here's an Idea that's kinda "So Crazy that Sakurai just might think of it."
What if Ridley was ALWAYS IN THE AIR?
Lemme explain.
His default place would be a tiny bit off the ground (the lowest pixel of his model would be just above the height of Olimar's shoe).
Jumping would make Ridley do a big flap with his wings, giving him 1 jump. (Yes, I said 1)
His Up B could be the Flight Mechanic we talked about, effectively replacing his Double Jump.
But his main drawback would be is he can't use Tilts, Most Smashes, ect. He can only use aerials, grabs and specials for attacking moves.
However, he still gets a Dash Attack, and a Down Smash (that acts like Charizards SSBB DSmash) but other then that he'd be in the air unless Pitfall'd or Meteor Smash'd, in which he is helpless.

Crazy, I know, but it just might work.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is not a dragon though, so, he is flying-fire type...are those weaker than fairy-types?
Fire resists Fairy. But if Ridley is Fire/Flying like Charizard....
....then there's still Pikachu....the one who shot Ridley down in the first place....

And now Greninja. Which is much worse.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
JIGGLYPUFF CONFIRMED 2 BE RIDLEY RIVAL! THE FAIRY-TYPING EXISTS FOR A GREATER PURPOSE THAN WE COULD IMAGINE!

....then there's still Pikachu....the one who shot Ridley down in the first place....

Wait, isn't Ridley a Dragon-Type?

Last edited:

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
So ive been following the forum for about a year now and thought it time i join as I am very much on the hype train and Thinks its time I chuck my two cents in.

So from watching the the shadow video to many times to count and seeing everyones theories.

It seems like ridley is doing his infamous downward tail attack in the air pauses then repeats from a hover stance.

As for him getting confirmed it makes sense a villains trailer would be happening as the new zelda game got released in japan and theres been no sign of a new zelda rep (relating to the trophy theory)

And to add old sport sakurai out right deconfirms characters and this is not the case cause he hasn't even once mentioned his name and after every smash bros he obviously would of become aware that the westeners a froffing for the purple guy!!!!

And as august seems to be the month of metroid aniverasries in general, lack of villains (which I think is intentional so we cant distinguish who will be a boss or playable), and lack of any substantial announcements this month (minus meta knight)

I think it only makes sense within the next fortnight something "big" ;) is coming!
And that old riddles is playable, as for design (I could be wrong thinking this being new) but due to that new samus light suit costume. I think it is plausible that a new design of ridley for the game possibly promoting a new metroid could be used. Just a thought though!

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I just realized, if Ridley is air based...how would he even hit tiny characters who are on the ground? Like Kirby, for example. If you do an air smash attack and Kirby is on the ground while Ridley is just chillin' in the air it wouldn't make sense if he could hit him...

Or maybe I'm just stupid. But I feel like this would be a pretty big problem.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So ive been following the forum for about a year now and thought it time i join as I am very much on the hype train and Thinks its time I chuck my two cents in.

So from watching the the shadow video to many times to count and seeing everyones theories.

It seems like ridley is doing his infamous downward tail attack in the air pauses then repeats from a hover stance.

As for him getting confirmed it makes sense a villains trailer would be happening as the new zelda game got released in japan and theres been no sign of a new zelda rep (relating to the trophy theory)

And to add old sport sakurai out right deconfirms characters and this is not the case cause he hasn't even once mentioned his name and after every smash bros he obviously would of become aware that the westeners a froffing for the purple guy!!!!

And as august seems to be the month of metroid aniverasries in general, lack of villains (which I think is intentional so we cant distinguish who will be a boss or playable), and lack of any substantial announcements this month (minus meta knight)

I think it only makes sense within the next fortnight something "big" ;) is coming!
And that old riddles is playable, as for design (I could be wrong thinking this being new) but due to that new samus light suit costume. I think it is plausible that a new design of ridley for the game possibly promoting a new metroid could be used. Just a thought though!
(Insert obligitory "Don't Drink the Water" statement here)
Welcome to the Ridley thread, we hope you enjoy everyone arguing with detractors, poking fun at Shokio and mentioning Water every 5 seconds.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Wait...Ridley completly OWNS Jigglypuff with one of his attacks at 0%...he takes 2x less damage from fire attacks...he takes more damage from electric, ice and water attacks...then who is he? Was i right about him being flying/fire type or it is more fitting for dragon type? And what if he is dragon/fire type?

Last edited:

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
(Insert obligitory "Don't Drink the Water" statement here)
Welcome to the Ridley thread, we hope you enjoy everyone arguing with detractors, poking fun at Shokio and mentioning Water every 5 seconds.
thall shalt not drink thy water!
Lol

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Wait...Ridley completly OWNS Jigglypuff with one of his attacks at 0%...he takes 2x less damage from fire attacks...he takes more damage from electric, ice and water attacks...then who is he? Was i right about him being flying/fire type or it is more fitting for dragon type? And what if he is dragon/fire type?
Ridley's a Dark/Dragon/Flying/Plasma Type.
Ridley's to badass to only have 2 types.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I actually kind of want to see a match between a Ridley Scott Mii and Ridley himself.

Who is the best Ridley of them all?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Ridley is obviously pure flying with levitate as his ability. that's explains why he was in the air so long In The shadow clip :troll:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Which Ridley are you talking about? I didn't quite get that. :troll:
That is the point. I was talking about Ridley. Isn't that obvious?
...B..but.....Ridley's a space dragon, right? I'm only following Pokémon fanboy logic, here!
He isn't a dragon however. So, you are still disowned from our thread/crew (which one i should use?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom