• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
...That makes sense i guess...he deserves his own type.

So, he isn't weak against anything or what?

He isn't a dragon. So, he isn't dragon-type. You are disowned from our thread/crew for having your opinion on that debate.
...ridley isnt even a pokemon, so bagan, you and the rest involved in that discussion are disowned from this thread for talking about ridley as such.

yeah, i am back... i just needed to cool down, again.

i just can NOT stop supporting ridley, no matter how... pissed off... i get... at... certain people.

i wont be officially done with this place until ridley is actually deconfirmed... until then, im like a festering wound, i wont ever go away, until the limb i am on is amputated.

probably not the most pleasant analogy, but this is hardly a pleasant situation... so, whatever.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Story time. <3

One time me and my friend Lydia were playing Super Metroid. You know, the one that has Ridley on the boxart. Suddenly, the door shut open! I was like woah! But after a while we found out that it was just the wind. So I shut the door lol.

The end <3

Marx the Jester

Smash Cadet
Yo, anybody seen any legit looking leaks yet, preferably with the big man himself in it? There was one on 4chan yesterday or something, but it turns out it was made by some dude on reddit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yo, anybody seen any legit looking leaks yet, preferably with the big man himself in it? There was one on 4chan yesterday or something, but it turns out it was made by some dude on reddit.
Leaks are meh.

We're so close to release now they don't matter anymore imo.

Not like they ever mattered that much in the first place, excluding Part 1 of Gematsu which got stuff right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Why are you guys calling Ridley a dragon...?

He's a purple alien pterodactyl.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
...ridley isnt even a pokemon, so bagan, you and the rest involved in that discussion are disowned from this thread for talking about ridley as such.

yeah, i am back... i just needed to cool down, again.

i just can NOT stop supporting ridley, no matter how... pissed off... i get... at... certain people.

i wont be officially done with this place until ridley is actually deconfirmed... until then, im like a festering wound, i wont ever go away, until the limb i am on is amputated.

probably not the most pleasant analogy, but this is hardly a pleasant situation... so, whatever.
Amputated? Why let such a perfectly fine, delicious arm go to waste like that?

I just realized, if Ridley is air based...how would he even hit tiny characters who are on the ground? Like Kirby, for example. If you do an air smash attack and Kirby is on the ground while Ridley is just chillin' in the air it wouldn't make sense if he could hit him...

Or maybe I'm just stupid. But I feel like this would be a pretty big problem.
With his trademark tailspaz attack of course. Or his trademark tail pogo attack. I'm pretty sure his tail can reach everything easily.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But i have Ridley profile pic. You don't. So, you are disowned from this thread for trying to disown someone with a Ridley profile pic from this thread.

PterodactylUS and Ridley has normal teeth, unlike Pterodactyls, who have conical teeth. For saying something like that, you are disowned from this thread.

...Ok, this is getting old and absolutely not funny...

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Not really. The arms of the Pterodactyloids or whatever are their wings. Ridley is more like a really weirdly proportioned European Dragon in terms of design, with alienish elements.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Fire resists Fairy. But if Ridley is Fire/Flying like Charizard....
....then there's still Pikachu....the one who shot Ridley down in the first place....

And now Greninja. Which is much worse.
Ridley is definitely Flying/Dragon. He may use a fire ability (almost every Dragon type can), but he's much closer in both design and moveset to a Dragon type.

Dragon Tail, Dragon Breath, Dragon Claw, Dragon Rage, Dragon Rush, Dragon Pulse, Outrage, Draco Meteor... Do any of these seem out of place for him?

Pikachu isn't the threat. Nor is Greninja. Ice Climbers will be the bane of his existence.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
He isn't a dragon however. So, you are still disowned from our thread/crew (which one i should use?).
I WILL NOT LET YOU DISOWN ME!! Remember that your people welcomed me to this thread even though I was the enemy at the time! You have molded me into a smart, open-minded person who always thinks more carefully about a character's chances, and always respects each fanbase.

Now...you have betrayed me by banishing me for using Pokémon logic. POKÉMON LOGICK! You will pay for banishing me, BaganSmashBros! UOO VILL PAI!!!! *rides off with Meta Knight*

.....Also, Boazer is a turtle. Make him Fire/Turtle-Type.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He probably has to have the worst (even worse than Jigglypuff) hitboxes and be the slowest character in terms of ground speed and start-up in order to balance out his air game honestly. The continuous flying is still a big concern to me.

D

Deleted member

Maybe the continuous flying is a custom Up special? Anyway I'm 100% certain that Ridley is in thanks to this thread :bee: As for Pokémon, Ridley's ability is "Shadow", which makes him immune to all attacks because they hit his shadow.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
He probably has to have the worst (even worse than Jigglypuff) hitboxes and be the slowest character in terms of ground speed and start-up in order to balance out his air game honestly. The continuous flying is still a big concern to me.
It could just be a beefed up float like Peach has, with obvious limitations set in place so he isn't broken. You can't just think "well it will work exactly like Brawl or have him flying nonstop" because there's nothing pointing to that. A lot of newcomers have had their own unique quirks and downsides. Mac has garbage air game, Robin has limited uses of spells and his one sword, Rosalina has a puppet but can't spam it, Palutena has magic attacks but some of them don't flinch the opponent. Ridley having good air game but other negatives set in place would make sense.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Why are we thinking ridley's going to be a great air fighters but terrible ground fighter? Hasn't the prime series tried to reinforce that even without functioning wings, he an adept hand to hand combatant? Just think to the 2nd half of the prime 1 metaridley fight.
And if this "great air game/bad ground game" stuff is coming from a few seconds of watching his shadow in a mysterious video that could have been altered/or filmed in an alternative game type... Then there is no argument I can give.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
As for continous flying, anyone thought of the fact we HAD such an up special? Pits Brawl one? Now that Pit has a different one (remember, he can only fly with Palutenas help by lore), why couldn't Ridley get that as his :GCU::GCB: ?

Weavel

Smash Ace
As for continous flying, anyone thought of the fact we HAD such an up special? Pits Brawl one? Now that Pit has a different one (remember, he can only fly with Palutenas help by lore), why couldn't Ridley get that as his :GCU::GCB: ?
Didn't they say they removed all gliding? or is this a different situation all together?

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Why are we thinking ridley's going to be a great air fighters but terrible ground fighter? Hasn't the prime series tried to reinforce that even without functioning wings, he an adept hand to hand combatant? Just think to the 2nd half of the prime 1 metaridley fight.
And if this "great air game/bad ground game" stuff is coming from a few seconds of watching his shadow in a mysterious video that could have been altered/or filmed in an alternative game type... Then there is no argument I can give.

I think it's more people thinking of ways to give him a unique style and keep him balanced. I want Ridley in and I don't even play tourney style but I don't want him to curb stomp everyone easily or to be so weak that he just gets mocked for not even deserving to be there. I just want him to be there and as viable as anyone else. So giving him a good air game and slow ground game would balance that out. Doesn't mean his ground fighting would be complete garbage, you'd just want to be in the air more often to take advantage of his abilities. Well, theoretically.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Didn't they said they removed all gliding? or is this a different situation all together?
I'm not sure if Sakurai has stated they removed gliding completely, or if he's just commented on it about characters that used to have it. I don't think they want gliding to return as to avoid the Meta Knight shenanigans from Brawl. I could see Ridley having a flight mode mechanic though, similar to Iron Man from Marvel vs. Capcom. Obviously you wouldn't be able to activate it while being launched through the stratosphere. Perhaps it'd put him into hover mode only while on the ground? Lasts longer than Peaches float but being hit will pull him out of it? Used mainly for setting up or dealing certain attacks? It's hard to say I think since if you try to think of ways to work out such an ability and character there are a lot of things you can do. People just like to jump on the most broken possibilities before thinking it through.

Edit: Ugh, sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Didn't they said they removed all gliding? or is this a different situation all together?
Pits glide was his side B. Meta Knights was Up-B, and the reason it was removed was cause you could glide around every single freaking map. even hyrule temple. Pits flight stopped after a while and put him into helpless state.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm not sure if Sakurai has stated they removed gliding completely, or if he's just commented on it about characters that used to have it. I don't think they want gliding to return as to avoid the Meta Knight shenanigans from Brawl. I could see Ridley having a flight mode mechanic though, similar to Iron Man from Marvel vs. Capcom. Obviously you wouldn't be able to activate it while being launched through the stratosphere. Perhaps it'd put him into hover mode only while on the ground? Lasts longer than Peaches float but being hit will pull him out of it? Used mainly for setting up or dealing certain attacks? It's hard to say I think since if you try to think of ways to work out such an ability and character there are a lot of things you can do. People just like to jump on the most broken possibilities before thinking it through.

Edit: Ugh, sorry for the double post.
Wouldn't Ridley having a flying mechanic while also having multiple jumps be considered broken as Metaknight?

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Pits glide was his side B. Meta Knights was Up-B, and the reason it was removed was cause you could glide around every single freaking map. even hyrule temple. Pits flight stopped after a while and put him into helpless state.
Pit's side B was not a glide...That's the attack where he makes a circle of slashes and says "YAAYAYAYAYYAAA!!"

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Ridley having a flying mechanic while also having multiple jumps be considered broken as Metaknight?
Why does he have to have as many jumps as Kirby or Meta Knight? If he has a float ability, that'd be all he needs. Everyone has a double jump, so he'd still have that. If he has a float there's no "need" to give him extra jumps.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think in Meta Knight's update Sakurai finally confirmed the removal of gliding

With swimming, gliding, and tripping gone, a lot of the more annoying points of brawl are disappearing, bringing smash a little closer to it's roots. By which I mean smash 64. And since Ridley appeared in Smash 64, Ridley confirmed

2D games are short too unless you don't know what to do. And you can use Power Bombs after Queen Metroid's fight like you did in the tutorial.

I will replay that game today too. Maybe its not that good...i played it in 2011...
Idk this game felt even shorter than fusion, the single 2D Metroid that I've beaten (I'm like halfway through both Metroid 1 and 2)

And I didn't even realize I used a power bomb in the queen metroid fight I got swallowed and mashed and held random buttons and she died xD

There were so many cutscenes after that and powerups felt meaningless because the game was so simple that I just finished it right then.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Pit's Side-B was some weird Spin Attack where he went "HI-YI-YI-YA!!" The gliding Side-B is only in Project M. Gliding was originally capable of being done by holding the jump button as either Pit, Metaknight, or Charizard. Metaknight also would go into a glide after his Up-B. It was super OP in Brawl. Project M fixed it somewhat, by making it so the Glide was less mobile and could only be activated using a special move. These are Pit's Side-B, Metaknight's Up-B, and Charizard's Down-B, when he's in the air.

It seems like gliding will be taken out completely this time, though. All the characters who could do it in Brawl seem to have lost the ability in Smash 4. Personally, I think this is a good idea; gliding was OP. Also, Pit's Up-B from Brawl (which was also pretty OP, recovery-wise) has been changed to a completely different rocket-style recovery move for Smash 4. I am pretty skeptical that Ridley will have that kind of thing for an Up-B. A Peach-style Hover/Float would be good though. We have yet to see anything about Ridley, though, so I don't think we can make any real judgement about what he actually can do. He may have something that's so completely different from everyone else, it may just seem extremely bizarre.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Actually, Pit's Side-B was some weird Spin Attack where he went "HI-YI-YI-YA!!" The gliding Side-B is only in Project M. Gliding was originally capable of being done by holding the jump button as either Pit, Metaknight, or Charizard. Metaknight also would go into a glide after his Up-B. It was super OP in Brawl. Project M fixed it somewhat, by making it so the Glide was less mobile and could only be activated using a special move. These are Pit's Side-B, Metaknight's Up-B, and Charizard's Down-B, when he's in the air.

It seems like gliding will be taken out completely this time, though. All the characters who could do it in Brawl seem to have lost the ability in Smash 4. Personally, I think this is a good idea; gliding was OP. Also, Pit's Up-B from Brawl (which was also pretty OP, recovery-wise) has been changed to a completely different rocket-style recovery move for Smash 4. I am pretty skeptical that Ridley will have that kind of thing for an Up-B. A Peach-style Hover/Float would be good though. We have yet to see anything about Ridley, though, so I don't think we can make any real judgement about what he actually can do. He may have something that's so completely different from everyone else, it may just seem extremely bizarre.
You could also glide by spinning the control stick in rapid circles in mid-air (which most of the time turned you around for no reason)
Don't resist. Just draw.
Gah, I'm not in the mood. Too much Swimming this week. All the chlorine...
I'll definitely do it by tomorrow afternoon, though.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

Ah yeah i forgot they originally had that as a freaking jump extension. Any, case in point was that this flight wasn'r gliding.

@ the red marked part : well if we consider canon (ik ik, not a smart move), Pit can only fly like that with Palutena or Viridi helping out. As Palutena is playable, why should she help Pit fly? I think that was mentioned for the reason Pits godawful FS from Brawl was changed. And while the recovery of that was strong, it wasn't overpowered and you couldn'T attack while flying luckily.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I WILL NOT LET YOU DISOWN ME!! Remember that your people welcomed me to this thread even though I was the enemy at the time! You have molded me into a smart, open-minded person who always thinks more carefully about a character's chances, and always respects each fanbase.

Now...you have betrayed me by banishing me for using Pokémon logic. POKÉMON LOGICK! You will pay for banishing me, BaganSmashBros! UOO VILL PAI!!!! *rides off with Meta Knight*

.....Also, Boazer is a turtle. Make him Fire/Turtle-Type.
Space Pirates know nothing about mercy and good doors. So, i shouldn't know about that. So, i won't regret about disowning you even though i am your father...didn't that old man taught you the truth? No? Fine...i never liked him...oh, wait, wrong franchise...
Anyway, for throwing such threats into my face and using Pokemon logic in Ridley thread (how dare you do that!) you will be banished...to Soviet Russia, like i was few days ago. I was disappointed by lack of bulky and manly men wrestling with bears, but it is not that bad...

There is no turtle type. You are disowned from Pokemon fandom.
Other M did it better. A LOT better. Especially on hard mode, when any failure to dodge his attacks will result in death. I agree that Ridley being garbage on the ground is a bad idea. He should at least be average, but not above that. Something like strong attacks with minor start up in weak attacks and more noticable start ups and end lags in stronger attacks. Kinda how Ridley actually fights.
And I didn't even realize I used a power bomb in the queen metroid fight I got swallowed and mashed and held random buttons and she died xD
So, you didn't realized you have THE MOST POWERFUL UPGRADE in this game because you mashed buttons? Did you know that it kills Rhedogians instantly and can either kill or temporarily...um...disable Desbrachians? And requires no ammo?
This part of the game is 2nd bulls**t part of the game since it doesn't tells you about doing that.
Ah yeah i forgot they originally had that as a freaking jump extension. Any, case in point was that this flight wasn'r gliding.

@ the red marked part : well if we consider canon (ik ik, not a smart move), Pit can only fly like that with Palutena or Viridi helping out. As Palutena is playable, why should she help Pit fly? I think that was mentioned for the reason Pits godawful FS from Brawl was changed. And while the recovery of that was strong, it wasn't overpowered and you couldn'T attack while flying luckily.
Wait...doesn't that means she can just send him into the space since she controls his flight?

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Alright, that gif is begging to have roidley's face plastered right on it. It's almost too perfect. Someone please, for the reveal, for the forum, for the world.
I'm still catching up on the thread, but if no one has done it by the time I catch up then I'll go ahead and make it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, you didn't realized you have THE MOST POWERFUL UPGRADE in this game because you mashed buttons? Did you know that it kills Rhedogians instantly and can either kill or temporarily...um...disable Desbrachians? And requires no ammo?
This part of the game is 2nd bulls**t part of the game since it doesn't tells you about doing that.
Were there even any real fights after the Metroid queen? All I remember were cutscenes, and that one part where you protect the scientist (which was annoying)

What's the point in giving you the most powerful power up in the game, only right before you use it to finish the last boss?

It was kind of an anti-climatic ending. Although I was happy that Anthony survived. He had style :smirk:
I'm still catching up on the thread, but if no one has done it by the time I catch up then I'll go ahead and make it.
By catching up on the thread, do you mean from the beginning? Ridley might be confirmed by that point xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom