• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I believe Japan has it's most demanded newcomers already (Palutena was tops, and I think they got second place as well, though I'm not sure). The most highly demanded character they're lacking is Mewtwo. Since he's technically a veteran, I'm not sure he'd get his own reveal trailer. Pairing him with the second most demanded character (and making the most demanded US character reveal one month from the US release) makes a lot of sense.

It sucks, since it means two extra weeks of waiting. But it makes a lot of sense for the reveal to be timed that way.
Good point, my fellow Ridleyian

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I believe Japan has it's most demanded newcomers already (Palutena was tops, and I think they got second place as well, though I'm not sure). The most highly demanded character they're lacking is Mewtwo. Since he's technically a veteran, I'm not sure he'd get his own reveal trailer. Pairing him with the second most demanded character (and making the most demanded US character reveal one month from the US release) makes a lot of sense.

It sucks, since it means two extra weeks of waiting. But it makes a lot of sense for the reveal to be timed that way.
And now our watch begins

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Lol okay. Tell us where Sakurai stated that Ridley is a stage hazard, and show us pictures of him in action. And no, I don't mean a shadow in some weird angle shot, I want definite proof.

Are you another leaker, perhaps? :p
I decide not to take the oppurtunity to test how viral a fake leak could go. And I don't have pictures because I'm not a leaker. :p

The shadow is a stage boss. The stage boss is an enemy from Samus's past. The shadow is in some wierd angle shot. Ridley has been a Smash Bros boss before. The source of the shadow is flying. Omg who can that shadow be? Aerodactyl??? Definetely.
Dont troll with us man :smash:
Hahahahaha sorry I must whenever there is a chance

Weavel

Smash Ace
You know what's interesting? Because he's a clone, original Ridley should look exactly like Roidley.
So the argument that Roidley is not the original is out of the window. We may get the original Ridley,
but with Other M's design. Ridley's design changed in every game since the original, since every time he was interpreted differently.
We don't know Ridley's Child to adult stage well enough, the adult stage seen in other M could be what his species look like just when that achieve that form but changes to look more like the original Ridley we know over time.

But the Clone is not Ridley, its not even worthy of being his shadow, Its just a monster that kills and it has no education of anything else unlike the original Ridley.

It doesn't matter if the clone is smart, it only kills and eats and has no allies while perceiving everything else as prey.

Original Ridley was the leader of the space pirates and waged war against the galatic federation, the clone is just a monster.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
We don't know Ridley's Child to adult stage well enough, the adult stage seen in other M could be what his species look like just when that achieve that form but changes to look more like the original Ridley we know over time.

But the Clone is not Ridley, its not even worthy of being his shadow, Its just a monster that kills and it has no education of anything else unlike the original Ridley.

It doesn't matter if the clone is smart, it only kills and eats and has no allies while perceiving everything else as prey.

Original Ridley was the leader of the space pirates and waged war against the galatic federation, the clone is just a monster.
First thing you mentioned is highly interpretable and I doubt that is what the designers of Other M's Ridley aimed for. I think the fact that Samus immediately recognizes Ridley as she sees him intends that it is the Ridley she met in Super Metroid, regarding his appearance. It certainly isn't the original Ridley, but he looks like him. As you know, Other M's intro showed the final boss battle from Super Metroid. With a redesigned Mother Brain, Samus in her Varia Suit and Baby Metroid. I too don't want Clonely to be playable, I want the original space leader. But with Other M being the latest installment of the series and the designs of characters it has established - the original Ridley from Super Metroid, would look like Roidley. His outer appearance would look like that of clonely. But what counts are the inner values. He still could be our great Space Leader that murdered Samus parents - the Ridley we know and love <3

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
First thing you mentioned is highly interpretable and I don't think that the designers of Other M's Ridley aimed for.
I think the fact that Samus immediately recognizes Ridley as she sees him intends that it is the Ridley she met in Super Metroid, regarding his appearance. It certainly isn't the original Ridley, but he looks like him. As you know, Other M's intro showed the final boss battle from Super Metroid. With a redesigned Mother Brain, Samus and Baby Metroid. I too don't want Clonely to be playable, I want the original space leader. But with Other M beeing the latest installment and the designs of characters it has established - the original Ridley from Super Metroid, would look like Roidley.
I'm still hoping on Concept Artley, that Ridley combines (imho) the best of both the "finished" Roidley and Ridley.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I'm still hoping on Concept Artley, that Ridley combines (imho) the best of both the "finished" Roidley and Ridley.

A 100% agreement from me. The in-game model looked quite different, pretty clunky.
This however looks quite pleasant.
It's the most perfect design for a playable Ridley in Smash in my opinion.
I personally like Super Metroid's design the most, but that wouldn't fit as we know.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
First thing you mentioned is highly interpretable and I doubt that is what the designers of Other M's Ridley aimed for. I think the fact that Samus immediately recognizes Ridley as she sees him intends that it is the Ridley she met in Super Metroid, regarding his appearance. It certainly isn't the original Ridley, but he looks like him. As you know, Other M's intro showed the final boss battle from Super Metroid. With a redesigned Mother Brain, Samus in her Varia Suit and Baby Metroid. I too don't want Clonely to be playable, I want the original space leader. But with Other M being the latest installment of the series and the designs of characters it has established - the original Ridley from Super Metroid, would look like Roidley. His outer appearance would look like that of clonely. But what counts are the inner values. He still could be our great Space Leader that murdered Samus parents - Ridley, as we know and love him. <3
Other M also got bad ratings, so I hope they make him playable from a game where he was well received. I'd even want Meta Ridley from metroid prime 3.

Weavel

Smash Ace
First thing you mentioned is highly interpretable and I doubt that is what the designers of Other M's Ridley aimed for. I think the fact that Samus immediately recognizes Ridley as she sees him intends that it is the Ridley she met in Super Metroid, regarding his appearance. It certainly isn't the original Ridley, but he looks like him. As you know, Other M's intro showed the final boss battle from Super Metroid. With a redesigned Mother Brain, Samus in her Varia Suit and Baby Metroid. I too don't want Clonely to be playable, I want the original space leader. But with Other M being the latest installment of the series and the designs of characters it has established - the original Ridley from Super Metroid, would look like Roidley. His outer appearance would look like that of clonely. But what counts are the inner values. He still could be our great Space Leader that murdered Samus parents - the Ridley we know and love <3
I don't agree on the slightest that since Samus recognized the clone would mean that it looks perfectly like the genuine article, he is in the same shape and has the same skin color so he would be most recognized as when Samus first saw him as a child, as his latter appearances he was in a mechanized form.

I don't like Other M's interpretation of Samus but seeing something so close to what RIdley looked like and being told he was dead for good could come as a nerve shocking surprise.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Given the settings of the game Roidley was from, don't think it's quite fair to compare him to the original like that. I mean we had the cloned Zebesian pirates that were devoid of any real intelligence to make MB look good/so that she could lead them easily, whereas the original Ridley had ambitious pirates with actual brains accompanying him in the Primes and whatnot, who would also help revive and enhance him after each defeat... Completely different scenarios.

The entirety of the original space pirates were supposedly wiped out by the end of Super Metroid, so Roidley would not of been able to get education of other things elsewhere or backup from them like the original did, nor was there anything in the Bottleship worthy of the clone Ridley to perceive as an ally, thanks to the Zebesians being neutered under the hivemind ****. Best he could do was take control of the mindless creatures of the Bottleship into attacking Adam's men and out of MB's control for awhile, which he did during his adolescent stage so he could have Samus all to himself.

I'm sure though the cloned Ridley, had it lived long enough and gotten to experience things outside the Bottleship it was confined in, would've eventually lived up to the original in potential. Maybe there will be a different cloned Ridley whose not confined to some giant space ship, organizing something against the Federation during the peaceful/corrupt times. :)

Other M also got bad ratings, so I hope they make him playable from a game where he was well received. I'd even want Meta Ridley from metroid prime 3.
As if it matters to Sakurai. Games with bad ratings have always had material in Smash to some degree, Other M being no exception. Not to say it makes it right (Other M getting more content in SSB4 than anything else in the series is nearly unforgiving), but it is what it is.

And good luck on your hopes there. We already know from the Direct that the Ridley in the game (whatever role he has) is the clone from Other M based on the tail and wings from the shadow, so best you can hope for is Roidley with Meta-Ridley's colors as an alt skin.

Ask and you shall receive. I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. I actually put a lot of effort into this >.>

Sorry for the poor quality. Also, not Roidley. But w/e
Eh, it's fine. The only way it could've been better really is if that Ridley head had them bulging eyeballs somehow like Hulk Hogan or some wrestlers typically do when they're huffing and puffing.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Ask and you shall receive. I hope this doesn't go unnoticed. I actually put a lot of effort into this >.>
Sorry for the poor quality. Also, not Roidley. But w/e
enough people quoted the gif, so i excluded it in mine...

...but what the hell is going on in that gif?

that guy freaking out looks familiar, but eh... and why does he look like he's having a weird-as-hell orgasm?

anyway... i still cant believe that i am seeing some people saying they'd be insulted if other M ridley was added in smash... seriously, people?

we dont even have 100% proof that he is playable, PERIOD... yet you're already complaining about the version of ridley we might get?

no... just, NO... we dont have that luxury... we cant afford to complain about ANYTHING, as long as ridey makes it in.

i just cant stand how ungrateful people get sometimes... there is a good chance we might FINALLY get ridley after waiting for more than a decade... and people are acting like they'd be pissed if we got other M ridley instead of the original lanky ridley whose neck alone would give the animators trouble to work with.

i think other M ridley, or atleast his main body and neck, is perfect, they could probably give him a better looking face, but even if they dont, i couldnt care less, as long as ridley is playable.

i am getting physically sick from this wait, and from having to deal with detractors every damn day... so at this point, i am NOT feeling very picky about ridley's appearance.

besides, hasnt sakurai done a great job with this stuff so far?

people were worried pac-man might get his less-than-pleasant look, but he turned out fine... bowser and yoshi both look pretty good with their new models... all the characters are looking great, so i doubt they'd slack on ridley's.

im not much of a fan of punch out, but mac's cool new look and how they made him play has gotten me really excited to try him out... so again, im SURE ridley will be done justice, just like everyone else.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
enough people quoted the gif, so i excluded it in mine...

...but what the hell is going on in that gif?

that guy freaking out looks familiar, but eh... and why does he look like he's having a weird-as-hell orgasm?
I think it's Vince McMahon. And why not? Look at them guns.

Also Ridley, ridley ridley kraid ridley ridley.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think it's Vince McMahon. And why not? Look at them guns.

Also Ridley, ridley ridley kraid ridley ridley.
Yep, it's Vincent Kennedy McMahon, the chairman of the World Wrestling Entertainment aka WWE.

Back on topic, man.. When is a Direct going to be announced.. :(

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So many good things to talk about and you guys decide to talk about Other M. why.jpg

Weavel

Smash Ace
Given the settings of the game Roidley was from, don't think it's quite fair to compare him to the original like that. I mean we had the cloned Zebesian pirates that were devoid of any real intelligence to make MB look good/so that she could lead them easily, whereas the original Ridley had ambitious pirates with actual brains accompanying him in the Primes and whatnot, who would also help revive and enhance him after each defeat... Completely different scenarios.

The entirety of the original space pirates were supposedly wiped out by the end of Super Metroid, so Roidley would not of been able to get education of other things elsewhere or backup from them like the original did, nor was there anything in the Bottleship worthy of the clone Ridley to perceive as an ally, thanks to the Zebesians being neutered under the hivemind ****. Best he could do was take control of the mindless creatures of the Bottleship into attacking Adam's men and out of MB's control for awhile, which he did during his adolescent stage so he could have Samus all to himself.

I'm sure though the cloned Ridley, had it lived long enough and gotten to experience things outside the Bottleship it was confined in, would've eventually lived up to the original in potential. Maybe there will be a different cloned Ridley whose not confined to some giant space ship, organizing something against the Federation during the peaceful/corrupt times. :)

As if it matters to Sakurai. Games with bad ratings have always had material in Smash to some degree, Other M being no exception. Not to say it makes it right (Other M getting more content in SSB4 than anything else in the series is nearly unforgiving), but it is what it is.

And good luck on your hopes there. We already know from the Direct that the Ridley in the game (whatever role he has) is the clone from Other M based on the tail and wings from the shadow, so best you can hope for is Roidley with Meta-Ridley's colors as an alt skin.

Eh, it's fine. The only way it could've been better really is if that Ridley head had them bulging eyeballs somehow like Hulk Hogan or some wrestlers typically do when they're huffing and puffing.
Could of doesn't matter here, the clone lived and died as a monster, simple as that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey has any of you seen the sakurai interview of he wants ssb4 to be the best character game in the world.

I think that helps ridley because that would complete the west.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
So many good things to talk about and you guys decide to talk about Other M. why.jpg
because that game's ridley is the one we're getting, from the looks of it... i see no reason not to talk about it.

besides, there arent "so many" good things to talk about... this is the ridley thread, he should be the main focus... and since ridley is in other M, and that is the one we will be getting... you see where im going with this?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

This is the only realistic way I can see him proportion wise... you don't think that's too big of a character?

Reila

you see where im going with this?
Yup, I see. You are going nowhere. Nothing you said makes any sense whatsoever. The fact SSB4 Ridley has the Other M design doesn't mean we should talk about Other M and ignore the rest of the series (aka the actual good and important games). This is the Ridley thread, not the Other M thread, so anything pertaining to Ridley, regardless of the game, is valid for posting here (yes, including Other M, in case you didn't realize I was joking in my previous post).

By the way, as a matter of fact, Ridley's design in Other M is one of the few things that aren't horrible in that game.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Yup, I see. You are going nowhere. Nothing you said makes any sense whatsoever. The fact SSB4 Ridley has the Other M design doesn't mean we should talk about Other M and ignore the rest of the series (aka the actual good and important games). This is the Ridley thread, not the Other M thread, so anything pertaining to Ridley, regardless of the game, is valid for posting here (yes, including Other M, in case you didn't realize I was joking in my previous post).

By the way, as a matter of fact, Ridley's design in Other M is one of the few things that aren't horrible in that game.
He never said we must speak only of other M. He explained why they were talking about it at the moment.
If you don't want to talk about it no use to answer just for the sake of saying one more time it's an horrible game and we shouldn't speak about it. It's a topic like any other.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

...ok, NOW who is not making any sense?

you just went in circles... saying we shouldnt discuss other M, then saying INCLUDING other M.

make up your damn mind.

see, this is EXACTLY why im getting sick of this thread... the people in it are just making me sick to my stomach.

im done... i cant stand the people here anymore... have fun waiting for ridley, i give up.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

This is the only realistic way I can see him proportion wise... you don't think that's too big of a character?
I love the 'do you think this looks good?' argument! Because it DOES look reasonable! Head=slightly taller than Bowser. Wings=as the shadow is based of the concept art for other M, the wings won't be that wide, but more folded like a bat's wings. When people say that this looks too big, it shows that they are 100% biased, as every neutral I have seen thinks this looks good!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ridley got engaged?! Why didn't he tell me :c
Just how Ridley roles. I'm sure that's how he'll leave the next chick to, just walk off with someone else. It's a harsh reality.

Because I've never played it so I borrowed it from a friend a few days ago and finally started playing it yesterday xD

The struggle is real

Well if Ridley wouldn't have aerial smashes (in the event that he's playable), who the hell would?

*insert "I told you so's" here about how Ridley's Other M battle was in fact one of his best from a pure boss fight standpoint*=p

Glad you enjoyed it. Can pretty much agree on the other bosses in the game though in that they were meh, or at least most of them.
Oh, I just think aerial smashes in general sound silly. It's not that I wanted someone else to have them, I just don't like the idea of them. I guess I'd need Sakurai to sell me on them, as he has a few other things already. He's so damn good at making me like things I didn't think I would.

But yeah, I'll totally agree on the Other M Ridley boss fight being up there. Almost makes up for all the cutscenes xD

Reila

Because I've never played it so I borrowed it from a friend a few days ago and finally started playing it yesterday xD

The struggle is real
I wish you the best luck.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You guys also keep this in mind:
While Other M was badly received, A LOT of people actually loved Samus' Varia Suit redesign because it looks really slick and acrobatic, more like the original 2D Samus was portrayed, because although they're great games, the Prime games always gave the feeling that the suit was kind of restricting Samus' full acrobatic movements, being kinda clunky.

On the other hand, there's not that many people who like Roidley over other depictions of Ridley.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I love the 'do you think this looks good?' argument! Because it DOES look reasonable! Head=slightly taller than Bowser. Wings=as the shadow is based of the concept art for other M, the wings won't be that wide, but more folded like a bat's wings. When people say that this looks too big, it shows that they are 100% biased, as every neutral I have seen thinks this looks good!
I'm not being biased. I'm just saying, he'd end up being the biggest character in the game which is not necessarily a bad thing but how big is too big? Imagine Ridley on a small arena like Yoshi's Island from SSBB.

There's no reason to not want him in. The more characters the merrier. But what I'm getting at is would he be more logical as a playable character or an assist trophy, or even a boss character?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You guys also keep this in mind:
While Other M was badly received, A LOT of people actually loved Samus' Varia Suit redesign because it looks really slick and acrobatic, more like the original 2D Samus was portrayed, because although they're great games, the Prime games always gave the feeling that the suit was kind of restricting Samus' full acrobatic movements, being kinda clunky.

On the other hand, there's not that many people who like Roidley over other depictions of Ridley.
I actually prefer the large shouldered Samus from the Prime series. Not that I dislike the slicker Other M version, I just kinda saw it and was like where did her shoulders go? idk it was more of a personal thing than anything else I can't complain about he redesign I just miss the giant shoulders xD

Reila

The Varia Suit design in Other M is really good, it looks so sleeky. I never liked the Varia Suit in Prime, it was too "bulky" for my tastes.

That + Ridley's design are the highlights of Other M...
Shame, it seems we lost 2 supporters because of arguments. I say we need to argue less about things other than Playabley, that's the only exception
Who are those two supporters? :/

D

Deleted member

The Varia Suit design in Other M is really good, it looks so sleeky. I never liked the Varia Suit in Prime, it was too "bulky" for my tastes.

That + Ridley's design are the highlights of Other M...
Who are those two supporters? :/
@ ZeroJinKui ZeroJinKui just left (although he's done that before and then came back anyways), the other is @GM_3826 who left yesterday. I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm not being biased. I'm just saying, he'd end up being the biggest character in the game which is not necessarily a bad thing but how big is too big? Imagine Ridley on a small arena like Yoshi's Island from SSBB.

There's no reason to not want him in. The more characters the merrier. But what I'm getting at is would he be more logical as a playable character or an assist trophy, or even a boss character?
Ah, my mistake, too big would be a kirby or 2 taller I reckon

Why did GM_3826 leave?
sick of the arguments whenever a detractor arrived

Last edited:
Top Bottom