• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PeterJude

Smash Ace
At least after all this it would be far too damaging for Ridley to not be playable.

Just think about it. Building discussion, attention, hype and such for a game is part of the aim, but the other part is not annoying the fan base. You can tease at things, but you don't tease at things, then actually break the hype. That is, if you tease the fanbase about something, you don't then pull the rug from them. This seems to have held true so far too, anyone they've teased has been revealed to be in the game so far, they haven't teased a character, then not had them in. Who's been in is anything but predictable, but we at least still have that.

For that reason I really can't see the point of teasing at Ridley, then him not be a character, as it would only serve to hurt the hype built up around the game. There's also no point leaving revealing Ridley as a boss (well, stage hazard) so long after teasing such an idea, they would have just done it then and there. Considering the level of attention Ridley being potentially in has got, there is no reason they'd hold off if he were in as a stage hazard, if they needed to get something that would be a huge downer on the community they'd not leave it this close to release, they'd do it months out so people get over it and get hyped about other revealed characters.

On the other hand there is a lot to be gained by teasing Ridley potentially being a stage hazard, teasing the stage, then going radio silent, only to reveal, as the last reveal trailer, that he's in. The attention it would bring, so close to release, would be enormous. It would get the community buzzing, and even those who were "against" Ridley would likely join in with the buzz.

I don't even like Ridley, or care whether he's in the game or not, but after so long and with so much desire for him, even I'd be angry if he wasn't included.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Wow, quite the updates today, wasn't it? Like some of you, I thought it was Ridley to, but I saw it was Meta Knight when scrolling down and thought "Oh, thank goodness." About time Meta Knight gets revealed.

Also, they had updates in the 3ds section to explain some of the modes such as Classic mode and stadium modes just like the magazine said. Interesting enough, break the targets appears to be gone, but now in the form of Target Blast or an apparent random event in smash run. To me a sign that just because something comes from the original smash bros. doesn't mean it's safe. (Mewtwo chances and hints increased perhaps!?)

Once again, still no Pyrosphere in sight... I'm even more convinced that Ridley is completely in as a playable character at this point. The signs and hints just make it very obvious and not saying anything about Pyrosphere once again is very suspicious... Now we just need the reveal now. (Would be very surprised if he wasn't playable considering all the buildup he's gotten.)

Last edited:
I doubt that. I think the Wii U version release date will most likely be revealed after the 3DS version is released, which is after the next general direct. =P
I'm not sure about that (assuming we're talking about the US/EU release date). That seems a little to close to the release of the Wii U version. But who knows. I just think the next direct would be a good time to announce it. We got the 3DS release date at E3 which is 4 months before the actual release. It's not impossible to expect a release date to be announced in August.

Edit: If you were talking about the Japanese release then I'm a moron.:facepalm:

I could see it being announced after the Japanese release for sure.

Last edited:

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Once again, still no Pyrosphere in sight... I'm even more convinced that Ridley is completely in as a playable character at this point. The signs and hints just make it very obvious and not saying anything about Pyrosphere once again is very suspicious...
I would only agree with that sentiment if there was way more than 3 Wii U only stages shown. 3/15 doesn't really make me suspicious of a lack of Pyrosphere.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
I would only agree with that sentiment if there was way more than 3 Wii U only stages shown. 3/15 doesn't really make me suspicious of a lack of Pyrosphere.
True, it makes sense not showing many Wii U stages since the 3ds version is coming out soon after all. But still... I understand the thought though so disappointment doesn't set in for expecting too much out of the situation. It just seems odd that they still wouldn't explain much of Pyrosphere since we've known of the stage for almost a year...

D

Deleted member

R.I.P our favorite purple/blue dragon, Garchomp. :troll: In all seriousness I like the theory somebody started stating that Monday's PotD was a tease for a Metroid and Kirby newcomer.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
R.I.P our favorite purple/blue dragon, Garchomp. :troll: In all seriousness I like the theory somebody started stating that Monday's PotD was a tease for a Metroid and Kirby newcomer.
A teaser for a Kirby veteran and a Metroid newcomer, you mean :p

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
Warning: Straw grasping at maximum level

There is a picture of Meta Knight with Samus:

And another picture of Meta Knight with two Dragon-type Pokémon:

Guess who is a dragon, related to Samus and have a few similarities with Meta Knight :awesome:
Imo the 2nd pic is a clear sign. Most other pics are gameplay pictures but this one is Not just a pic, because having all these 4 Dragons type Pokémon at the same time is highly unlikely.

In other words this picture screams DRAGON!!!!

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
The removal of glide in other characters doesn't affect Ridley's chances at all. If anything, he could be the only character able to glide in Smash 4, as one of his unique mechanics.
you sure ? because sakurai said in the potd since glide is gone we changed the up special of meta knight that mean there no glide.. but pit up special was not a glide ? for me glide is like meta and charizard and I know pit could do it to but the up+B was not a glide.

excepte ridley got a hove ability like rob and pit or even peach or being final smash like Yoshi ,then I think he got less chance that will be stupid :(

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I think it would be PERFECT for a whole direct to be around Ridley being a stage hazard.

Then the game releases
Super Metroid Ridley is playable, clone is a hazard

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think it would be PERFECT for a whole direct to be around Ridley being a stage hazard.

Then the game releases
Super Metroid Ridley is playable, clone is a hazard
There will be only one Ridley in the game and he will be playable.
there is the proof right there. It doesn't matter that it's just a shadow. It's clearly Ridley, being described as a boss. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.
lol

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Has anyone ever actually outright asked Nintendo if Ridley was playable?

I know they had to put down Rayman after his trophy and Chrom after the Direct.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Has anyone ever actually outright asked Nintendo if Ridley was playable?

I know they had to put down Rayman after his trophy and Chrom after the Direct.
All the time people have asked. No answer, they don't talk about the roster.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
there is the proof right there. It doesn't matter that it's just a shadow. It's clearly Ridley, being *implied* as a boss. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.
Fixed. Even though he is implying that, he could mean he appears on the stage as a playable character when you choose him and then the Pyrosphere stage.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Why of all places in all PotDs and Directs and reveals would he choose that particular place, talking ABOUT BOSSES to reveal a playable character.
"Other boss characters make appearances as well........"
Ridley is in fact a boss character, he could be implying him as a stage hazard or a playable character. Just saying.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Why of all places in all PotDs and Directs and reveals would he choose that particular place, talking ABOUT BOSSES to reveal a playable character.
He didn't reveal him to be anything. He just showed his shadow, never mentioned his name (something they don't do for playable's until their reveal) and hasn't given us any information to this day.

He's misleading us just like he did with the Boxing ring to make us think Mac was disconfirmed. Little Mac fans picked up on punchout references in the stage, similar to how we're picking up strange activities in this shadow. I recomend you look at Aldero's post on selected targeting.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
there is the proof right there. It doesn't matter that it's just a shadow. It's clearly Ridley, being described as a boss. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.
b30.png
Well, to be more accurate, he was implied to be a boss character. You know who else is a boss character?

Zant.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
He didn't reveal him to be anything. He just showed his shadow, never mentioned his name (something they don't do for playable's until their reveal) and hasn't given us any information to this day.

He's misleading us just like he did with the Boxing ring to make us think Mac was disconfirmed. Little Mac fans picked up on punchout references in the stage, similar to how we're picking up strange activities in this shadow. I recomend you look at Aldero's post on selected targeting.
Firstly, Meta Knight was mentioned by name BEFORE his reveal.
Secondly, how in the whole wide world of Equestria would Boxing Ring DECONFIRM Little Mac. If anything, it made him MORE likely.

"Other boss characters make appearances as well........"
Ridley is in fact a boss character, he could be implying him as a stage hazard or a playable character. Just saying.
Bosses = not playable. He said and I quote this "Bosses appear on other stages as well." as Ridley was shown.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Bosses = not playable. He said and I quote this "Bosses appear on other stages as well." as Ridley was shown.
Yet he never actually said Ridley was a boss. It was heavily implied, yet never officially clarified. This goes against Sakurai's policy of not giving fans false hope and clarifying exactly what kind of a role characters have in the game immediately after being revealed.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Secondly, how in the whole wide world of Equestria would Boxing Ring DECONFIRM Little Mac. If anything, it made him MORE likely.

Eh, newcomers.

The boxing ring "disconfirmed" little mac because it was not a punchout stage but a regular smash bros stage with smash bros decoration.

I never heard Sakurai say "Ridley is a boss".

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Bosses = not playable
Waluigi = not playable

We can thus confirm that:

Waluigi = Bosses

Surely Sakurai is more creative than making all bosses in the game Waluigi. Then again, you never know what he might do.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Bosses = not playable. He said and I quote this "Bosses appear on other stages as well." as *Ridley's shadow* was shown.
Fixed. Even if your quote is more accurate, Ridley is still a Boss character, There is no real reason to hide a stage hazard from us for this long.

Edit: your quote is not accurate either, "Boss characters make appearances in other stages, not just this one."

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Eh, newcomers.

The boxing ring "disconfirmed" little mac because it was not a punchout stage but a regular smash bros stage with smash bros decoration.

That because he never did.

What was said was that there were "Boss Characters" (I think that was how it was said) which acted as stage hazard, but could be battled and defeated. From there Ridley was alluded to by Shadow (having previous mentioned that Pyrosphere may have a "enemy from Samus' past" show up at any time). You never quite know what they were going for with that, but surely they wouldn't spend several months (it may have been over a year since Pyrosphere was revealed and Ridley alluded to there, I haven't kept count) building hype for a stage hazard. Then again, I do want to get off Sakurai's Wild Ride.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yet he never actually said Ridley was a boss. It was heavily implied, yet never officially clarified. This goes against Sakurai's policy of not giving fans false hope and clarifying exactly what kind of a role characters have in the game immediately after being revealed.
And might I ask where said policy was actually stated to exist?

Eh, newcomers.

It also never disconfirmed Mac. Mac wasn't seen, even is shadow form, like Ridley.

Bosses = not playable
Waluigi = not playable

We can thus confirm that:

Waluigi = Bosses

Surely Sakurai is more creative than making all bosses in the game Waluigi. Then again, you never know what he might do.
No, that's not what I said. I said Bosses are not playable. I never said nonplayable characters would all be bosses.

Fixed. Even if your quote is more accurate, Ridley is still a Boss character, There is no real reason to hide a stage hazard from us for this long.
Unless he's doing it unknowingly. There's a thousand other things I'm sure he'd prefer to show than a stage boss that isn't Yellow Devil.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I don't buy into this whole whole theory that Ridley is being avoided talking about and kept hidden so fans don't get dissapointed until after they buy the game and figure out for themselves.

1. It would be leaked from Japan
2. Why would Sakurai have to hint at Ridley to avoid backlash? Why not just not say anything that even alludes to him?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Warning: Straw grasping at maximum level

There is a picture of Meta Knight with Samus:

And another picture of Meta Knight with two Dragon-type Pokémon:

Guess who is a dragon, related to Samus and have a few similarities with Meta Knight :awesome:
Yes

First = meta wings looks like ridleys and attacking samus

Second = 4 dragon pokemon and meta knights wings looks like ridleys, and are you guys even noticing that kirby is wearing the palutena hat, palutena was almost hinted as much as ridley (pit different final smash, pesudo palutena trophy, the potd with the palutena statue) so meta knight might be the :substitute: For ridley

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And So is Windy Hill, and Living Room, and Final Destination, and Pac-Land, and Pac-Maze, and Halberd, and Green Hill, and Wii Fit Studio, and Kalos League... need I go on?
Make no mistake that Pyrosphere continously shrouded in mystery intentionally, otherwise he would have unveiled Ridley as a boss a year ago when he announced Pyrosphere and said that he could "appear at any second." Sakurai is obviously taking advantage of the Ridley hype, no doubt about it, the only question is if there's going to be a pay-off or not.

Btw guys, none of the Meta Knight pics hint at Ridley jeez. We had Meta Knight and even dragons in the previous installment and he wasn't playable. Seriously, not everything has to do with Ridley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom