• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Gaxel

Smash Ace
That's a fair point. I'll give you that one.
Also, if you were asking for Smash bosses that technically became playable after being a boss:

Metal Mario (Boss in SSB, playable in Melee/Brawl)

Giga Bowser (Secret boss in Melee, playable in Brawl)

Master Hand (Boss in SSB, through unethical means, playable in Melee)

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Because he's being the Mashpotato Samurai we all know and love
Said Mashpotato Samurai does not hype up something that would disappoint the fans. He's been alluding to Ridley, teasing him as a boss, but not once has he said Ridleys name or discussed what he does as a boss. The "Sakurai we all know and love" would be doing all this for a hype, fangasmic reveal, later on. I'm not saying this has to be what's happening, I am however saying this is quite the possibility. If it was just as simple as Ridley being a boss they would have curbed the confusion right away like they did with Prince Sable and other deconfirmed characters.

Some people say "he must think it's too obvious to bother mentioning". He's been very quick to clear up confusion on things that were far more obvious than the Ridley shadow. Not that this isn't a good thing though. People are all different, some may not get the obvious right away. So Sakurai is very quick to clear things up so as to not cause undue problems, because he's not malicious like the entirety of the internet. So regardless of how obvious something may seem, if it's confusing enough fans, he'll come out and explain it.

He has yet to do this for Ridley and obviously those who care for him on the roster will keep their hopes up that it's for Ridley on the roster.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I came here to boost my confidence in Ridley but it's slowly dwindling. This isn't good guys.
- The "stage hazard" Ridley they showed was suspiciously small
- They tend to kill false speculation based on something they've said/done as quickly as possible, they aren't likely to be unaware of this 1.5 million view hyper thread on Ridley, yet here we are literally a year later with them not killing off speculation about him being playable based on what they gave us
- They've listened to requests on characters for this game, including megaman, they are unlikely to have ignored the the desire for Ridley
- They've clearing hyping something, and leaving it late to reveal, do you really think that one of their big final reveals, so close to release, is going to be a stage hazard?

If you're losing confidence, that is exactly what they want. Regardless of if he's "in" or not, they're building something up in this regard. If he is a stage hazard, he better be the best damn stage hazard the world has ever known, or they may have a PR disaster so close to release.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
- The "stage hazard" Ridley they showed was suspiciously small
- They tend to kill false speculation based on something they've said/done as quickly as possible, they aren't likely to be unaware of this 1.5 million view hyper thread on Ridley, yet here we are literally a year later with them not killing off speculation about him being playable based on what they gave us
- They've listened to requests on characters for this game, including megaman, they are unlikely to have ignored the the desire for Ridley
- They've clearing hyping something, and leaving it late to reveal, do you really think that one of their big final reveals, so close to release, is going to be a stage hazard?

If you're losing confidence, that is exactly what they want. Regardless of if he's "in" or not, they're building something up in this regard. If he is a stage hazard, he better be the best damn stage hazard the world has ever known, or they may have a PR disaster so close to release.
They gave America on of their fan favorites already. Little Mac. Considering the **** from his own country he got for it, do you think he'd add in another "Western" character?

Are we seriously having the SAME argument with the SAME person. Can we please just agree to disagree because no one is going to get anywhere but the thread getting locked

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They gave America on of their fan favorites already. Little Mac. Considering the **** from his own country he got for it, do you think he'd add in another "Western" character?
They don't always have to cater to the Japanese audience, you know. Besides, Ridley isn't as "Western" as Little Mac is.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Honestly yes, the wii u is selling just fine in Japan and I'm sure they want to sell this game where the majority of sales come from.

Other than that.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
so now we've gone to ridley cant be in because america already has its requested character? this debate is falling apart

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
You do realize he does not add characters based on what a vocal minority has to say right?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
...what? I don't even...

There are plenty of good arguments against Ridley, that most assuredly isn't one of them. I'm sorry, that is just a bizarre argument. If I recall right Japan only makes up about a fifth of the market for Smash Bros, so I seriously doubt that they're scared of "Western Characters".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I hope not.
You got a problem with Shulk?

so now we've gone to ridley cant be in because america already has its requested character? this debate is falling apart
No. I'm just adding that as a minor point.

You do realize he does not add characters based on what a vocal minority has to say right?
If Little Mac wasn't unique but still had high fan support he still would've made it in.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
He hasn't even shown off any of the Japanese fan favorites aside from Lady Palutena.
Except that's just a stupid argument to begin with. There's plenty of overlap with the characters who are popular in Japan and the West. What would define a "Japanese fan favorite"? Would it have to be like Little Mac and be a character that isn't popular in the West?

And even if these arbitrary classifications of "Western Character" and such meant anything, is it so unthinkable that they could have more than one?

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Except that's just a stupid argument to begin with. There's plenty of overlap with the characters who are popular in Japan and the West. What would define a "Japanese fan favorite"? Would it have to be like Little Mac and be a character that isn't popular in the West?
They literally pushed Fire Emblem and Mother on the "West" with the Smash series. I really don't think they care either way.

Wait, what happened to ignoring this guy? Surely after yesterday he shouldve lost all credibility anyway
It's more fun this way.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Imo the 2nd pic is a clear sign. Most other pics are gameplay pictures but this one is Not just a pic, because having all these 4 Dragons type Pokémon at the same time is highly unlikely.

In other words this picture screams DRAGON!!!!
Highly unlikely doesn't matter when you have developer tools and debug modes active. The devs can put together any combination they like. They could spawn a hundred Mews all at once if they wanted to.

And might I ask where said policy was actually stated to exist?
It's been in several interviews. I suggest you ask again so that you get a response from someone else (ie: someone who is not too lazy to look stuff up).

It also never disconfirmed Mac. Mac wasn't seen, even is shadow form, like Ridley.
No other disconfirmed character has been shown in shadow form either. Why is Ridley different?

Unless he's doing it unknowingly. There's a thousand other things I'm sure he'd prefer to show than a stage boss that isn't Yellow Devil.
I don't think so. Stage bosses are one of the new features of Smash Bros. 4. They're a pretty big thing that needs to be highlighted, especially over such minor details as "this is what screen KOs look like now".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Highly unlikely doesn't matter when you have developer tools and debug modes active. The devs can put together any combination they like. They could spawn a hundred Mews all at once if they wanted to.

It's been in several interviews. I suggest you ask again so that you get a response from someone else (ie: someone who is not too lazy to look stuff up).

No other disconfirmed character has been shown in shadow form either. Why is Ridley different?

I don't think so. Stage bosses are one of the new features of Smash Bros. 4. They're a pretty big thing that needs to be highlighted, especially over such minor details as "this is what screen KOs look like now".
They've been highlighted through the first boss, Yellow Devil.
People have already posted the interviews for me.

No, not at all. I just don't want characters included or excluded from a certain region is all.
That's not what I said. I said Mac is a Western fan favorite (and was criticized by Japanese fans) so I would think he would also try to please his own people.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Seems like you guys are having fun with a detractor. Fine, that should make the day pass faster.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
If they wanted to disconfirm ridley sakurai would probably say: "This is Ridley, he is the boss on the Pyrosphere, we'll talk about him later."

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Certainly.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/12/3...ling-twitter-whiners-and-oh-yes-the-new-smash

Here's the most important part of the article.

"I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around."

EDIT:
Oh, you have got to be kidding... @ shrooby shrooby beat me to it...
Not only that, but we had the same format.

[article link]

[String of text signifying that we're pasting the quote itself here.]

[Specific quote bolded.]

:awesome:

@ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming I'm really trying my hardest to not seem rude when I type this, so if I come across as such I apologize...
You seem to be stringent on your stance that there's no way out of interpreting the clip presented to us as Ridley being a boss, as was implied.
For everyone's sake, I'd recommend you drop that thought and then look at everything being presented to you more neutrally. You're of course going to view most everything we say and analyze as straw grasping if you think, from the very beginning, that Ridley is exactly as was implied with little to no wiggle room.
Either look at everything, IE not just the clip, about the situation without making assumptions until the very end, or stop bringing it up completely. Everything we've analyzed is based on the suspicion that there's something worth hiding with regards to Ridley. If you're going to assume that to not be true, then there's frankly nothing worth discussing as our base interpretations differ too dramatically.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I'm going to have the biggest haters gonna hate campaign here and on 4chan after Ridley is announced playable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, uh...

How about those changes to Meta Knight's character, his nerfed airgame and all? Does this mean that Ridley will have no other serious competition in the airgame?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So, uh...

How about those changes to Meta Knight's character, his nerfed airgame and all? Does this mean that Ridley will have no other serious competition in the airgame?
Jigglypuff says "hi."

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, uh...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Top Bottom