• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
That's what they want you to do! Don't let them do what they want, do what the 2nd post ORDERS
it'd probably be easier if everyone just ignored the detractors and stopped responding to them, then... but for some stupid reason, everyone keeps arguing with them, which slowly destroys the second post's fountain of hope.

THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ARGUING ARE DESTROYING THE HOPE FOR RIDLEY!

ridley is ashamed of his fanbase...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Here's the thing with the Japanese smash fanbase... they're small, easy to please, and honestly, they don't care about Smash that much.

Heck, from what I've heard from Smashers in Japan who play competitive, the competitive smashers get ostracized by non-competitive smashers super often over there on the internet.

For Smash, Europe, America, and probably South America and maybe Australia are bigger Smash fanbases than Japan (or in the case of the latter 2, eventually they will be).
If this is really, truly the case, then I understand why they are trying to appeal to us; after all, we are the bigger audience.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It's funny how when Marth and Roy were in Melee, interest in FE in the states and Europe sparked. Same with Little Mac. I think instead of boycotting Ridley, they'd think he's ****ing awesome and become interested in what games he's been in.
Japan knows who Ridley is, unlike Little Mac.
It's more like they just don't really care.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait they already confirmed the final roster? :o :crazy:
Probably only top Nintendo corporate people, top translators, executives and producers on the game, and some top game testers know the entire roster.

They have the roster on pretty good lockdown right about now, considering there are absolutely no remotely close to anywhere near real roster leaks, aside from the 2 character remnants of the 2nd Sal leak.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
In Particular I remember reading one Japanese fan said "The guy from Punch-Out? Really? That guy's not an All-Star!"
Well he is now! :4littlemac::troll:

I used to hate the thought of Little Mac being playable because he was limmited to just punching. Now, he's commin' with me along with my homies, M.K. :4metaknight:, and Bird-Man :falco:!

For the sake of being on-topic, I predict that many such as the detractors will dislike Ridley's inclusion at first, but will learn to get over it after a while. Many at first didn't like Rosalina because they thought she'd be a Peach clone, but after her reveal, people eventually got over it, and applauded Sakurai for his talent. Many doubted the Miis at first because of their lack of creative moveset. Same thing happens; doubters got over it after their reveal, kudos to Sakurai, yadda yadda yadda. And it repeats with Palutena, Pac-Man, and so fourth.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well he is now! :4littlemac::troll:

I used to hate the thought of Little Mac being playable because he was limmited to just punching. Now, he's commin' with me along with my homies, M.K. :4metaknight:, and Bird-Man :falco:!

For the sake of being on-topic, I predict that many such as the detractors will dislike Ridley's inclusion at first, but will learn to get over it after a while. Many at first didn't like Rosalina because they thought she'd be a Peach clone, but after her reveal, people eventually got over it, and applauded Sakurai for his talent. Many doubted the Miis at first because of their lack of creative moveset. Same thing happens; doubters got over it after their reveal, kudos to Sakurai, yadda yadda yadda. And it repeats with Palutena, Pac-Man, and so fourth.
I'm not gonna hate it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I guess it was an indirect evidence for Ridley.

As if it wasn't obvious, he now has more chan....ahhhhh when it will stop?

There's so much now the evidences kept to be accumulated since August 20 and the biggest evidence so far is not even talking about him for almost a year.

And this indirectly helps me, but whatever.

Ridley for next direct!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
http://s4.postimg.org/5tqojhmi3/uhh.png

It was quite a big picture (Nopunintendo) so I didn't post it on this page.
This is the greatest evidence that Ridley has a huge shot of being playable, and one of the core reasons I support him. I may not be a fan of Metroid, but I DO want this guy in Smash. He's totally awesome and the fans of his series adore him for the part he plays in Samus's story...and of course the fact that his character has more to it then just appearing to be a mindless monster.

Last edited:

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think one of the greater clinchers for Ridley is the lack of information overall. It seems unlikely that there'd be so little revealed about him if there wasn't something big in store planned for him.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If this is really, truly the case, then I understand why they are trying to appeal to us; after all, we are the bigger audience.
The "us" are usually more divided (on non-character topics), and have different and usually steeper expectations because we expect certain things out of the gameplay more.

Not that there's anything wrong with not expecting anything out of the gameplay (other than it being fun), but generally speaking Smashers outside of Japan play a smash game longer than Smashers in Japan.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I finished reading those last few pages...

I'm not even going to quote anything back there.

I thought you guys were going to ignore him...

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Do you guys think we are getting a Ridley trailer this month for Metroid month, a Ridley trailer next month just before the Japanese release date or Ridley being a secret character?

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
I dunno personally...I think Ridley might be the last character to be revealed before release if anything. It seems like someone of his caliber would be the most fitting reveal.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we are getting a Ridley trailer this month for Metroid month, a Ridley trailer next month just before the Japanese release date or Ridley being a secret character?
I personally believe that Ridley will get a trailer this month. Even if Metroid Month will pass by ignored, there's still the Other M anniversary and the Pyrosphere anniversary. Though next month would work just as well. I'm just tired of waiting.
Secret character is not something I'd expect, at least not with the hype booster that is Ridley.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Japan knows who Ridley is, unlike Little Mac.
It's more like they just don't really care.
Generally the characters they want are far more divided character ideas than what say other regions want.

Before anyone says "oh, but they support Takamaru a lot", no, they didn't.

The only nearly universally supported characters for Smash 4 from Japanese Smashers are Mewtwo and various veterans.

There are notable potential newcomers a noticeable populous of Japanese smashers did support.

Mega Man was one of these characters, as was Villager and Palutena (and kinda sorta Robin/a Fire Emblem avatar character).

A noticeable populous of Japanese smashers also did support Lucina, whom they found more favorable to Chrom.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dammit, I thought we all agreed on ignoring keybladeguy if he did this again! I come home after 5 hours at friends and the first thing I see is arguments again? I'm personally ignoring again until it's safe, so do the same thing to prevent rage and lockdowns!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So seeing as how we've seen G&W and he isn't "confirmed", why can't the same thing be true of newcomers who we have seen=???

I mean, we saw R.O.B. multiple times in Brawl before he was confirmed.

Brawl's opening also had Marth and Ness in it before they were confirmed.

We also saw Jigglypuff and Pichu in Melee's opening before they were confirmed, along with Ganondorf's hand.

Oh, and going back to THE ORIGINAL GAME, Luigi was in the "How-to-Play" video on the How-to-Play stage before he was confirmed.

There's a long history of this, and there's no reason it can't apply to Ridley, especially since Meta Knight stole his wings especially since he's a very intriguing playable character with potential no other potential character, veteran or potential newcomer, really possesses.

Last edited:

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
You didn't come off as rude. But guys, guys. No need to get upset. Believe it or not I have looked at all the supposed "evidence" through neutral eyes. I just don't see it happening because my sense of logic is different from yours.
OOH THIS GUY. I've been wanting to respond I just had to catch up on the thread. Now look sir, I, personally, not believe you're a troll. I just think you're honestly trying to express your opinion that you think Ridley being in ssb4 (even with all of our more-or-less-evidence) isn't gonna happen. I respect that wholeheartedly, you're entitled to your opinion.

But other than that, I don't get why you're here... Are you trying to convince us that you're opinion is true? Because I'm not gonna do that and (no offense to anyone) no one else here should do that to you. You also can't say that shadow is proof and fact that Ridley's deconfirmed because that's simply not true. It's opinion and interpretation, it's how you feel.

I'm sorry if anyone here gets mad at you for expressing your opinion, but you can't really just blatantly tell people that your opinion is fact and that they are wrong, 'snot right. If I misjudged or was incorrect about anything you've said or if I interpreted you incorrectly please let me know, thank you.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Generally the characters they want are far more divided character ideas than what say other regions want.

Before anyone says "oh, but they support Takamaru a lot", no, they didn't.

The only nearly universally supported characters for Smash 4 from Japanese Smashers are Mewtwo and various veterans.

There are notable potential newcomers a noticeable populous of Japanese smashers did support.

Mega Man was one of these characters, as was Villager and Palutena (and kinda sorta Robin/a Fire Emblem avatar character).

A noticeable populous of Japanese smashers also did support Lucina, whom they found more favorable to Chrom.
b39.png
Huh. Wonder what they thought of Geno...

But yeah, saying that certain regions want certain characters just because they are region exclusive is kinda stereotyping, which is just one step away from tumblr racism.

Saying Japan wants Shulk and Takamaru just because they're Japan-exclusive? Racist.

From the impressions of Japan I get here sometimes, one could think that they hated Ridley, when its more likely that they're indifferent, maybe on the "too big" side.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm going to guess that some sort of discussion happened ealier about how Meta Knight's lack of a glide helps Ridley's chances. If not, you all need to get on that.

Then i just failed to explain something. Here they are:
Those are not muscles. Compare that to human skeleton, classic Ridley and concept art Ridley. He just looks bulky and not that much anyway.
Going by the last picture, you're including the top half of his chest. Those are clearly connecting to his shoulders, which ribs don't do. Those are most likely meant to reference the SM design.

Regardless of what those are supposed to be though, bulkiness has nothing to do with how much muscle is visible on the chest. Roidley's shoulders are extra wide, and his limbs are super thick (and muscular). He's bulky.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
The fact of the matter is Sakurai is certainly aware of the fan demand of characters. Sure Mega Man and Little mac were the most common requests but people are ignoring the fact that people requested Lucina which he ammited to for putting her in.

Ive seen more requests for Ridley than her but its easy cause its just putting a new model over a complete character and calling it a day. Call me a hypocrite but we don't really need her in this game do we. Sakurai didnt want Chron cause he would be a third blue haired swordsman which in the end is what we got anyways (sex aside), but we also got Robin so people aren't complaining.

If Sakurai is truly oblivious to the request than Ridley would have been revealed as a boss by now and Lucina would be reduced to a Alt costume/character for Marth like he inteded to. The model was complete so why tease a shadow when you could have deconfirm him on the damn spot in the Smash Direct?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, wasn't Xenoblade popular in the US? Wasn't the game supposed to, you know, NOT BE RELEASED IN THE US? Last time I checked, the game only got an international release because of fans! And the Japanese seem to somewhat like Ridley, he isn't all too big popular, but he isn't obscure to them

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Saying Japan wants Shulk and Takamaru just because they're Japan-exclusive? Racist.
It's more a result of isolation.

Japan and its' internet laws and just general culture feels "isolated" from the rest of the 1st world in a lot of way.

On top of that, their Smash community is very isolated, often because a lot of the Smashers don't really care too much for smash, or at least not enough to talk about Smash on the internet (much).

The Japanese competitive Smash fanbase from what I hear is also isolated from the main fanbase. They're seen as lepers by a lot of Japanese smashers (they have lots of trolls), which sucks, because the people I know from the Japan that are competitive players are super nice, and I've only ever heard AMAZING THINGS about the Japanese competitive smash community.
From the impressions of Japan I get here sometimes, one could think that they hated Ridley, when its more likely that they're indifferent, maybe on the "too big" side.
The local Smashers I know who used to live in Japan say they and their friends love Ridley and all the 2D Metroid games.

But again, that's like a sample size of a dozen or 2 (mostly competitive) smashers.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Going by the last picture, you're including the top half of his chest. Those are clearly connecting to his shoulders, which ribs don't do. Those are most likely meant to reference the SM design.
Those are called collar bones; they are not part of the ribs, but above them. Feel the base of your neck, and you can tell that a boney structure connects from it to the shoulder. It just looks like it's a pair of ribs, but it's actually not.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Those are called collar bones; they are not part of the ribs, but above them. Feel the base of your neck, and you can tell that a boney structure connects from it to the shoulder. It just looks like it's a pair of ribs, but it's actually not.
You're telling that to the wrong person. I know all that, but Roidley has a bunch, and BaganSmashBros thinks they're ribs. I'm under the impression that the developers didn't put a lot of thought into what they're supposed to be.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Honestly yes, the wii u is selling just fine in Japan and I'm sure they want to sell this game where the majority of sales come from.

Other than that.
After that I watched this video (by the way, if you didn't watch it, do it now) I was wondering myself: what if, right now, Nintendo was watching us...:crazy:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
After that I watched this video (by the way, if you didn't watch it, do it now) I was wondering myself: what if, right now, Nintendo was watching us...:crazy:
They are, but they can't do anything, they have a master plan and it's already in motion, the small minority on this thread doesn't affect anything at all/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 here with your daily dose of optimism

Have I told you I love you today yet
I also got Brawl's roster size nearly spot on. I predicted 40 characters, and we got 39.

I originally guess 51 characters for Smash 4. This was due to my clever but hindsight stupid math, which said that each of the past 2 games the roster grew by 14 then 13, predicting we'd get 12 more, whereas I forgot the "oh, SSE cut all the good stuff" factor, which means more.

Then, after Greninja, my guesses grew weekly for 6 weeks.

In other words, my roster got more enlargements THAN PAMELA ANDERSON!!!

After Lucina and Robin, holy crap, I care barely justify only 58 characters.

So if we get 57 only, blame me for not being BATMAN CRAZY OPTIMISTIC!!!

Seriously, the crazy in me isn't debating whether we'll get a Dixie/K. Rool shared trailer or just one or none.

It's debating whether we get a Dixie/K. Rool trailer, a Cranky/K. Rool trailer, or a Cranky/Dixie/K. Rool trailer!

THAT'S HOW CRAZY OPTIMISTIC HYPED I AM!!!

AND OF COURSE THE RIDLEYS IS ALWAYS A PART OF MY ROSTER HYPE AND ALL MY HYPE!!!

In other words, this is likely the results...

THE COST OF AWESOME HYPE OF COURSE!!!! :shades:

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I hope we atleast get a direct friday/ a monday livestream trailer on monday.

Please sakurai, before school starts.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope we atleast get a direct friday/ a monday livestream trailer on monday.

Please sakurai, before school starts.
If Ridley gets confirmed on Monday during my first class, I will riot so hard guys.

Before or after that class please based Sakurai!!! :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
School starts on Tuesday for me! Hahahaha
Cheating death like Ridley himself.

I hope we get something this week though.

Top Bottom