• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Likely won't have the opportunity again since my Internet got cut, but congrats @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees

Hopefully when all is said and done, Meta Knight won't be the only one to get the tease/bait before confirmed treatment.
Well regardless of Ridley, that already happened.

:4palutena::gw:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Something I realized is that the Halberd teased Meta Knight much like the Pyrosphere is teasing Ridley.

Oh crap....That might be pretty bad. Although I wouldn't call what Ridley doing is "gliding" as it's more like Peach's floating. Also the fact he took the time to state that might mean its a coincidence.
I personally think gliding was pretty awful; it was so OP, especially for Meta Knight. It's like the ultimate horizontal recovery in Brawl (and even vertical recovery, if done right). You could literally glide under most stages and grab the ledge on the other side. That's the definition of OP.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well, if shuttleloop (and hopefully down B) are the only things changed that might hurt the chances of our "Ridley as the Anti-Thesis of little Mac" theory, because with the new shuttleloop, his neutral b and side b from brawl, metaknights airgame will still be godly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I want to show you guys something fun inspired by @YoshiandToad

Take this picture.
Cover Meta Knight with your hand, until all you can see is his wings.
Pretend it's Ridley.
Purple wings master race. Seriously though, it actually works :p

Likely won't have the opportunity again since my Internet got cut, but congrats @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees

Hopefully when all is said and done, Meta Knight won't be the only one to get the tease/bait before confirmed treatment.
Thanks! I'm super happy at this moment, but considering I always knew he'd be back AND he's only my 2nd favorite Nintendo character (behind the dragon himself) the joy I'm feeling right now is only a fraction of what I'd feel if Ridley is in. We're a month away from the Japanese release date today, we'll see how things turn out so soon.

Well, if shuttleloop (and hopefully down B) are the only things changed that might hurt the chances of our "Ridley as the Anti-Thesis of little Mac" theory, because with the new shuttleloop, his neutral b and side b from brawl, metaknights airgame will still be godly.
Meta Knight isn't big though, which is part of it. That and Meta Knight's ground game is actually pretty good too, his air game has actually been heavily nerfed with the removal of gliding and his Shuttle Loop's damage being two hits now.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I personally think gliding was pretty awful; it was so OP, especially for Meta Knight. It's like the ultimate horizontal recovery in Brawl (and even vertical recovery, if done right). You could literally glide under most stages and grab the ledge on the other side. That's the definition of OP.
No I meant it's bad for Ridley if gliding is truly cut.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Gliding is a very specific mechanic. Multi-jumps (like Kirby) and hovering (like Peach) are still in.

Gliding is the ability to recover indefinitely across horizontal distance. It needed to be cut, and Ridley doesn't need it.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I personally think gliding was pretty awful; it was so OP, especially for Meta Knight. It's like the ultimate horizontal recovery in Brawl (and even vertical recovery, if done right). You could literally glide under all non walkl (off) stages and grab the ledge on the other side. That's the definition of OP.
fix'd. You could do it on freaking hyrule temple, so only stages like eldin bridge that don't have ledges and the parts of changing stages that don't have ledges are out of this...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Hang on, Sakurai confirmed MK, who people doubted a few days ago...And there is a picture of him next to Palutena-Kirby, a copy ability that was teased...This is my worst straw grasp, but I think Sakurai's on to something...
You're going to have to spell it out a bit more, I'm not getting it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley couldn't have been gliding as he was moving too slowly and stopped mid-air, so that means nothing. If you mean gameplay-wise then gliding was only ever great on Meta Knight because his was so flexible unlike Pits and Charizards.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Hang on, Sakurai confirmed MK, who people doubted a few days ago...And there is a picture of him next to Palutena-Kirby, a copy ability that was teased...This is my worst straw grasp, but I think Sakurai's on to something...
Huh, who doubted Meta Knight?

what is happening why is everyone so tense

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're going to have to spell it out a bit more, I'm not getting it.
Palutena=teased newcomer. MK=teased veteran. Kirby having the Palutena hat. the only teased characters to be confirmed as of now next to each other. Ridley was teased more than both of them. Methinks Ridley reveal next week
Huh, who doubted Meta Knight?

what is happening why is everyone so tense
Miiversians, not anyone here other than Aurashaman
EDIT: 1000 posts yay

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
People are intense because the last vet reveal from a PotD was in May, with Ike

yeah, it's been awhile. We needed this.

Guess that counts out any MK/Ridley reveal trailer, but honestly I thought a Spacey was more likely anyhow in that regard.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is really hard to look at Meta Knight's wings and not think of Ridley. I now want him in the game more than I ever wanted. :i6rkW:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
More evidence to support sakurai "teasing". Flat out showed and mentioned meta knight in some form but didn't confirm him, and then let fans speculate for 2 days.
(Though for us Ridley fans it's gonna be probably over a year and not 2 days :glare:>

Reila

More evidence to support sakurai "teasing". Flat out showed and mentioned meta knight in some form but didn't confirm him, and then let fans speculate for 2 days.
(Though for us Ridley fans it's gonna be probably over a year and not 2 days :glare:>
The wait is proportional to the size of the character. :p

PeterJude

Smash Ace
The wait is proportional to the size of the character. :p
Meta Knight is meant to be about 11" tall canonically, so that's about 5.5" a day. It's been 127 days since the Smash Direct that showed Ridley, so we're talking at least 58'3"...

...might be too big...

...I'll just go now.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
At least ridley fans are lucky to see ridley in ssb4 (while me and geno fans wait 18 years just to make square Enix listen to us :~( ...)

Reila

At least ridley fans are lucky to see ridley in ssb4 (while me and geno fans wait 18 years just to make square Enix listen to us :~( ...)
I never played Mario RPG, so I am not familiar with Geno, but I want him to be in Smash just to see how happy you and other Geno fans would be in the occasion.

Weavel

Smash Ace
You would think nintendo would shape up and get the rights for him. Like how capcom got the rights for Strider hiryu or whatever his name is.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
they removed the glide for all character but I know the up b of pit was mostly a hover like peach then glide? so that mean it reduce ridley chance excepte he got a hovering ability like peach,rob,pit?

I think we gonna get a direct next week like you :) and then the last video will be befor release that will make sense

Last edited:

Reila

they removed the glide for all character but I know the up b of pit was mostly a hover like peach then glide? so that mean it reduce ridley chance excepte he got a hovering ability like peach,rob,pit?
The removal of glide in other characters doesn't affect Ridley's chances at all. If anything, he could be the only character able to glide in Smash 4, as one of his unique mechanics.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So Meta-Knight was revealed and, surprise surprise, no Pyrosphere in his site pictures. So by extent we still can't analyze anything new.

And another picture of Meta Knight with two Dragon-type Pokémon:

Dragonite is behind Kirby, so that makes 3. :)

Reila

So Meta-Knight was revealed and, surprise surprise, no Pyrosphere in his site pictures. So by extent we still can't analyze anything new.

Dragonite is behind Kirby, so that makes 3. :)
Hydreigon (aka the most badass dragon besides Zekrom) is there too, behind Edgy Kirby.

Reila

I'm so sick of this waiting game.. I wish they would date this ****.
September 13th in Japan and October 3th in NA. Unless you are talking about the Wii U version, if so... meh :p

Top Bottom