• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Because people will get pissed at Sakurai for Ridley's absence. I don't want Sakurai getting a bunch of "you suck" posts and emails and such because he didn't. I'm trying to keep people from going overboard BECAUSE it's just a game.
Oh, don't worry about that. If Ridley does make it in, he'll probably get at least one email threatening to kill his family if Ridley is not removed from the roster. And a whole lot of other butthurt emails. It's one of the less stellar things about being a content creator.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Basically because ridley has never been shown. He was given a small tease Werth his shadow, but that's a tease, designed to make you speculate. The rest were all straight up reveals that were meant to be clear
Here's my answer to that:
Why the hell would you tease a role he had in the past game, where it was actually more important?

I do want to make one point as for why I get so irritated at this fanbase in particular. Many of you guys play RtC. But every time we rate Ridley, a lot of them give him super high marks (even a few 100%) just because. Surely you must see that point.
...Trust me, the reason we do that is because we're biased. We get that. I have literally had to remind everyone, fifty ****ing times, that he wasn't 100 percent in. I'd wager a 70%, maybe an 80%. But I don't go on the RtC thread. Why? BECAUSE IT'S FERTILE GROUND FOR POINTLESS ARGUMENTS.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Oh, don't worry about that. If Ridley does make it in, he'll probably get at least one email threatening to kill his family if Ridley is not removed from the roster. And a whole lot of other butthurt emails. It's one of the less stellar things about being a content creator.
I'm just saying, I wouldn't want that crap, and I don't think he deserves it either. He made the greatest series ever and people getting upset over one thing is stupid (HAW HAW I'm a hypocrite because I hate Lucina)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I do want to make one point as for why I get so irritated at this fanbase in particular. Many of you guys play RtC. But every time we rate Ridley, a lot of them give him super high marks (even a few 100%) just because. Surely you must see that point.
Because we believe he has a super high chance.

Edit: don't go on rtc, just that's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well, to us, Ridley has pretty much the most going for him than any other character. To us, he is the most likely addition to the roster. He has so many clues, much more than any other character. It makes us feel confident. Is it false confidence? We will at the very least know for certain in two months.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't want that crap, and I don't think he deserves it either. He made the greatest series ever and people getting upset over one thing is stupid (HAW HAW I'm a hypocrite because I hate Lucina)
Me neither, but it's pretty much an unavoidable reality. You can do it one way or another, but both result in the very same thing. Or, kind of very same thing. Not really entirely but you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Basically because ridley has never been shown. He was given a small tease with his shadow, but that's a tease, designed to make you speculate. The rest were all straight up reveals that were meant to be clear
This does not refute Sakurai hating false hype. If people are speculating that means they can potentially create hype for a playable ridley which clearly exists. If Sakurai wanted speculation people might still think chrom is playable. Instead Sakurai let the news break swiftly instead of letting it grow like Ridley's has

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
Well I don't mean to be a jerk but saying ridley is likely playable because he wasn't deconfirmed, when he wasn't even shown, is totally grasping at straws.

okay well we'll just have to disagree on that. i think that the evidence presented is enough to graduate past straw grasping. for the record i'm totally 50/50 on Ridley myself.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Here's my answer to that:
Why the hell would you tease a role he had in the past game, where it was actually more important?
bosses as stage hazards are a new feature it's not really the same as being a boss in sse

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, to us, Ridley has pretty much the most going for him than any other character. To us, he is the most likely addition to the roster. We have so many clues, much more than any other character. It makes us feel confident. Is it false confidence? We will at the very least know for certain in two months.
uhhhh... you mean one month. (Japanese release and all)

I have to disagree, I see Shulk and RH reps as the most likely. Sakurai has shown that Popularity =/= in game. If he can't make him unique then what's the point?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
bosses as stage hazards are a new feature it's not really the same as being a boss in sse
???

I have to disagree, I see Shulk and RH reps as the most likely. Sakurai has shown that Popularity =/= in game. If he can't make him unique then what's the point?
Ridley has an entire moveset that could make him the antithesis to Little Mac. He could be an aerial fighter. One that is able to fly for more than 5 seconds at a time. He could also have the first aerial grab. Wouldn't that be "unique?"

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'm quite fond of this fanart, because I love Tom & Jerry.

Please never bring up that image! The first thing that always comes to my mind when I see this is Nin10do'Ultra, and his insensitive cockiness! ><

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
So? I also hate Lucina (Another bland sword-wielding, human character, grumble, grumble.) But you don't see me sending letters to Sakurai wanting to murder his entire extended family.

Fandoms naturally attract stupid people, and no matter which side ends up pleased, there are going to be morons on the losing side who make stupid threats. (Also, if you're reading this and are offended by it, then you probably deserve it. If you're not offended, then you're not who I'm talking about.)

So why are you attacking the hopes of the sane and the rational who are just getting frustrated by it?

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Alright then, can we agree to disagree at least?
Yes.
...Seriously though, that's what I want. What about you, the other detractor? I promise I won't rub anything in your face, because there's going to be a lot of auspisticizing to do when Ridley's confirmed, boss or playable.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
This does not refute Sakurai hating false hype. If people are speculating that means they can potentially create hype for a playable ridley which clearly exists. If Sakurai wanted speculation people might still think chrom is playable. Instead Sakurai let the news break swiftly instead of letting it grow like Ridley's has
Okeydoke believe what you want lol. They're totally not comparable (also because Ridley's shadow didn't lead to mass twitter confusion) but whatever.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Heh. Making Ridley unique isn't that much of an issue. It's balancing that could cause problems for him. In the games, Ridley is pretty much a lightning bruiser; both quick, lethal and resilient. How do you properly represent that in Sm4sh?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So? I also hate Lucina (Another bland sword-wielding, human character, grumble, grumble.) But you don't see me sending letters to Sakurai wanting to murder his entire extended family.

Fandoms naturally attract stupid people, and no matter which side ends up pleased, there are going to be morons on the losing side who make stupid threats. (Also, if you're reading this and are offended by it, then you probably deserve it. If you're not offended, then you're not who I'm talking about.)

So why are you attacking the hopes of the sane and the rational who are just getting frustrated by it?
Because within each group of the "sane and rational" there are many who are not sane and rational.

Regardless; I don't think Ridley's playable and my condolences, but jeez.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Yes.
...Seriously though, that's what I want. What about you, the other detractor? I promise I won't rub anything in your face, because there's going to be a lot of auspisticizing to do when Ridley's confirmed, boss or playable.
I kinda hate the platitude of agreeing to disagree usually but this is just a game after all.

All I'm saying is a little skepticism is healthy

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
b32.png
The primary reason that Ridley will be revealed before month's end is that Sakurai likes subverting expectations. So while it may be too obvious for us, it'll be a total shock to the rest of the fanbase because they weren't seriously expecting Ridley.

So the fact that he was teased as a boss helps his "shock value" of a trailer surrounding the guy.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Okeydoke believe what you want lol. They're totally not comparable (also because Ridley's shadow didn't lead to mass twitter confusion) but whatever.
Hahahahahahahaha.
Ridley's confusion reaches farther than that.

Either way, they are in fact comparable, and the confusion caused in either case does not disprove anything. X was shown, and the fanbase of X was disappointed. But then the fanbase got hopeful again, maybe X wasn't deconfirmed at all! In one case, this is shot down, in the other case, the hope grows still to this day.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yes, please! I wanna keep my self-esteem high for the game, Ridley or not, and I can't have that when there are flame wars over it. I keep forgetting about it, but this is just one character out of an entire roster of them!

My biggest want in Ridley being playable is to bring the insensitive detractors to justice, and even then, I know it could all backfire...which is why I keep marching.

Actually, I can't recall being this brave. I guess I should be proud of myself...?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yes.
I'm fine with and aware of that. But I still want someone to make a wager with me about it. It's all in good fun.

Also for god sake's please stop quoting my posts now, I'm getting flooded with alerts. I check the thread every time I get on, no reason to flood me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Nah.

If we all just agreed, the thread would go back to boring high-fives of the Ridley inclusion celebration, or people getting nervous because the announcement hasn't actually come yet.

Disagreeing lets us all try to convince you.

Yes, please! I wanna keep my self-esteem high for the game, Ridley or not, and I can't have that when there are flame wars over it. I keep forgetting about it, but this is just one character out of an entire roster of them!

My biggest want in Ridley being playable is to bring the insensitive detractors to justice, and even then, I know it could all backfire...which is why I keep marching.

Actually, I can't recall being this brave. I guess I should be proud of myself...?
Oh, fine.

In that case, I'll go with this: Sm4sh seems to be going for a lighter tone than some of the previous games. What do you think Ridley's screen KO will look like?

I'm fine with and aware of that. But I still want someone to make a wager with me about it. It's all in good fun.

Also for god sake's please stop quoting my posts now, I'm getting flooded with alerts. I check the thread every time I get on, no reason to flood me.
You said "no" to mine. :( No more Cutie Mark Crusaders if Ridley's playable? Will that do?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Nah.

If we all just agreed, the thread would go back to boring high-fives of the Ridley inclusion celebration, or people getting nervous because the announcement hasn't actually come yet.

Oh, fine.

In that case, I'll go with this: Sm4sh seems to be going for a lighter tone than some of the previous games. What do you think Ridley's screen KO will look like?

You said "no" to mine. :( No more Cutie Mark Crusaders if Ridley's playable? Will that do?
eenope. Sorry. The CMC stay.

Maybe not twitter (I wouldn't know since I rarely use Twitter) but just look at this thread. There's always so many users and guests viewing it. We've reached 1,493 pages. I think it's clear that people are interested in what Ridley's situation is. Nintendo are definitely aware of Ridley's controversy.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Nah.

99.99% of the population isn't looking for a fight.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
99.99% of the population isn't looking for a fight.
I'm not looking for a fight. Just more points of view and honest discussion. If we all just agree to disagree, we're being closed minded. We have to remember to listen to and acknowledge the detractor's points. We have to try to analyze them and respond logically. Otherwise, we are no better than the toobigots.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Maybe not twitter (I wouldn't know since I rarely use Twitter) but just look at this thread. There's always so many users and guests viewing it. We've reached 1,493 pages. I think it's clear that people are interested in what Ridley's situation is. Nintendo are definitely aware of Ridley's controversy.
And this is only one (popular) board on the entire net. Pretty much anywhere else I go to talk about Smash in general, Ridley pops up in some way, whether it's detractor mocking, or supporter... supporting.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well, if this troll is trying to agitate us, let's try to change the subject into something more lighthearted.

Like which characters would do best with Ridley in a Team Battle? I would say Bowser, because they're both villainous reptiles who serve as the main antagonists of their respective franchise. Ridley and Rosalina would do good as well, because @ AndreaAC AndreaAC .

Also, Robin can support with anyone and even marry someone of the opposite sex. Which means that she and Ridley could become...well, you know.

sigh....Thank you. -u-
Andrea isn't here yet, so you are safe for now, she only approves of Ridsilina, which is the supirior ship...What? It's not like I have a knife against my neck or anything...

WHERE IS SOULLESS?!

The two lords of shipping finally come together in their own relationship. :awesome:

I actually don't even think I've approved that one yet. Hold on...

Ridley X Robin (Both Genders)?

Ah that's better.

Now the only question is, will @ AndreaAC AndreaAC try to stab me for this one? :awesome:

On the topic of doubles partners, the idealistic part of me wants to say that Ridley/Little Mac would be really good because the whole air dominance/ground dominance duality thing happening (assuming air dominance is Ridley's game), but that realistically probably wouldn't go as perfectly as I think it would.

Ridley and WFT would also be good since WFT got him into shape for Smash Bros.

But realistically anything to help Ridley zone since he'll probably be slow on the ground will be helpful, I think.

FOUND YOU, NOW DIE!

AHEM.....going back to Ridley, today I will fix some problems with Ridley's tracing, to have it ready and send it to print on vinyl, and with that, the coaster will be finally done! (I hope...)
011.gif

"YAY."

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah everyone is interested. I don't think reasonable people watching the direct went omg ridley is playable?? though.

You also see people here claiming the greninja trailer was a mewtwo tease because they both have 3 fingers omg trolling. Js

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*
This thread is going through one of it's "blue" phases again.
I'll be leaving temporarily.
I realize that this is friendly discussion, but unfortunately, all bets are off when it comes to Ridley.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
sigh....Thank you. -u-

WHERE IS SOULLESS?!

FOUND YOU, NOW DIE!

AHEM.....going back to Ridley, today I will fix some problems with Ridley's tracing, to have it ready and send it to print on vinyl, and with that, the coaster will be finally done! (I hope...)
View attachment 21392
"YAY."
Why can I see some images, but others (like the one over the "Found you, now die" line) don't work for me, but seem to for everyone else?

Also, what is going to happen with Ezio finally catches up with Ridley in that top gif?

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Also I don't really see myself as a detractor. Like more than anything I want a trailer of ridley mewtwo and ganon with s new move set showing off villain power.

I just don't expect it really

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why can I see some images, but others (like the one over the "Found you, now die" line) don't work for me, but seem to for everyone else?

Also, what is going to happen with Ezio finally catches up with Ridley in that top gif?
You must be new here. Whenever Soulless anyone ships Ridley with anyone other than Rosalina, Andrea gets mad and goes on a murdurous killing spree, usually after Soulless, happened to me when I joked about Raydley...Crap, I'm done for

Xenorange

Smash Lord
This thread is moving at a pace that suits me.

Also when do you guys predict Ridley's official announcement will be? Hopefully sometime this month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom