• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
I'll ignore your mangling of occams razor because I have to be concise, I'm at work, but theres obviously a huge difference between confusion over the fire emblem trailer, and the ridley tease in the direct.

One was meant to be a clear reveal the other was just a tease of things to come
mangling? well that's a little offensive. the latin text is : "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" which translates to "more things should not be used than are necessary". so i think i steered clear of any mangling. Anyway i'm not gonna get all tangled up about that. I probably did get a little carried away in that comment, especially that last line, it was pretty troll-ish. i'm sorry about that. if i cut the crap, i guess all i really want to express is that being a Ridley supporter doesn't mean you are grasping at straws. the way i see it, either point of view is respectable. so when you said that you don't see ridley being playable and that you were just being realistic (implying all supporters are being unrealistic), i found that a bit offensive and degrading.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
To be fair (and believe me when I say this in the most respectable way possible) couldn't the opposite also be true? Ridley is the most controversial. He has a rather large hatebase as well. That would make a lot of people not want to buy it.
Ridley is the second more requested character, after Mewtwo. The hatebase is much smaller (and most of them would probably get over it almost instantly).

He hasn't been confirmed as a boss, is the thing. Every other character who has been disconfirmed has had a tag going along with it "Oh, this character isn't playable, BTW". Even Prince Sablé, who had Blue Pikmin 11 and almost no one else cheering him wholeheartedly on, got a tweet saying "oh, yeah, we forgot to mention, but he's an Assist and Not Playable" when they forgot to put it on the PotD. Nothing like that for Ridley.
You also never answered this.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
i actually like my little pony, and here is an image i found that can put an end to everything...

...behold, the power of fan art.

PEACE BE WITH YOU!
I'm gonna assume the middle one is.... Dark Samus, yes?

Regardless, I apologize to those of you who got upset. I just get a bit passionate of my own beliefs as well.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Let's start with point A. Sakurai has been shown to disconfirm stuff as soon as it's shown. This is in no way a rule atypical to his behavior. Just because he does one thing MOST of the time does not mean he can't shake things up a little bit. We also now know that Sakurai does indeed troll.

Point B. Palutena was hinted at ONCE in the direct.

Point C: This is in no way even relevant. The game is still a work in progress. It's only natural things will look odd and buggy. It's always possible that Ridley's BOSS model, or even Pyrosphere itself is incomplete or glitch, which explains why we haven't seen it lately.
I'm not exactly about to refute your points, but just listen... err, read... anyway.
We assume that there's something fishy about the way in which Ridley was presented. Fishy in that there's something worth hiding about him hence him not really being fully "shown," and then proceed with analysis of the clip and situation to come to a conclusion.
I at first assumed that Ridley was boss, as was heavily implied. Months later, I then recognized that the situation seemed a little odd when compared to Sakurai's normal behavior, and decided to analyze everything myself, though this time I wasn't trying to make anything fit some preconceived notion. I laid out everything in front me, from the clip itself, Sakurai's past actions, Nintendo's past actions, and Ridley's situation outside of the clip. I then came to a conclusion. I wasn't going through each thing individually and trying to interpret it in such a way that fits what I already think to be true.
You need to take a stance that doesn't make such large assumptions to look at the information and context. And I don't mean "large" in the sense that it doesn't make sense, because it does make sense to think that Ridley is a boss. I mean "large" in the sense that you're assuming one way to be definitely true and then analyzing the situation through that lens instead of attacking it more neutrally, which is what everyone should do - including people on the opposite side of yours.
Or maybe you've already done that and came to the stance you have now, in which case...

What are you, delusional? It's so obvious he's playable. :troll:

Though, if I'm being honest, it doesn't seem to be the way you went about it based on your conclusions. If only based on your third point, granted.
To me, Ridley's model, AI, etc. being incomplete or glitchy seems like a longshot assumption. Seems like grasping at straws.
I fully acknowledge an at least somewhat valid reason as to why Ridley wouldn't be shown that would lead me to conclude that he is a boss, as was presented. It has to do with whether not Sakurai sees "boss characters" as something worth enticing speculation over. That, to me, seems much more reasonable an assumption.
But, whatever, to each their own, you know? Maybe I'm the one who is making :083: assumptions.

Though just know that your personal stance doesn't really matter since Ridley's going to be playable regardless. :troll:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ridley is the second more requested character, after Mewtwo. The hatebase is much smaller (and most of them would probably get over it almost instantly).

You also never answered this.
A little proof of how he is second most requested, please.

And even so, why would he pick Ridley over Mewtwo? we also have our good buddy Little Mac, who had fair popularity, in, but no sign of the space dragon.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
To be fair (and believe me when I say this in the most respectable way possible) couldn't the opposite also be true? Ridley is the most controversial. He has a rather large hatebase as well. That would make a lot of people not want to buy it.
I don't understand why people hate on the option to play as a character. I think that sakurai would rather appeal to people who want to use that option instead of that option to not be there.

And even so, why would he pick Ridley over Mewtwo? we also have our good buddy Little Mac, who had fair popularity, in, but no sign of the space dragon.
There is absolutely no reason to pick ridley over mewtwo. Why would he have to pick ridley over mewtwo, there is no sse. Why can;t he do both?

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely despise it when people knowingly do things to make other people angry while staying "civil." Then act all shocked and offended when people get angry at them. It almost grinds my gears more then the initial irritant.

Incidentally, why would anyone "hate" Ridley enough to not buy the most anticipated Nintendo game in ages? I've got all the Detractor arguments burned in my skill at this point, but what's the source of actual animosity?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Oh gosh. I don't have the poll results here, but I'm sure somebody does. I've seen them several times.

What makes you think he has to pick Ridley over Mewtwo? They can both be in the game.

You still haven't acknowledged the "every other character who gets disconfirmed gets it stated explicitly" argument.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
And this means what exactly? I'm being sincere. What does this have to do with that?
well that reply was from you questioning why wouldnt ridley be shown off at E3 (which personally i thought that would of been great but thats passed so o well we got Pacman atleast :D) i believe hes trying to tell you that Characters can also be revealed on an anniversary of their video games. doing research i found out that Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~ was released on July 15, 2010. With Japan time hours it might of been close if not aired on the 15th, in 'murica it was aired on the 14th. So in conclusion, Ridley could perhaps be revealed on an anniversary of one of the Metroid games. a Number of Metroid games were released in August. In fact the NA release of NES Metroid was on the 15th, thats just 3 days from now. Im not holding my breathe on that particular day for a reveal, but i would assume perhaps the anniversary of either Other M or the PyroSphere PotD (out of all things) I hope this has informed you with what WayfaringElf was saying.
Edit: :4greninja:'d. ive speant so many minutes typing this up, i put my blood sweat and tears into typing this comment so that Keybladeguy could understand and someone else types it before me. "flips table" what am i even doing with myself

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think that Ridley would scoff at the idea, until Robin became Grima. Then Ridley would be in awe, and trying to get back into Grima's good graces. Not sure how that relationship would work out though.
Well, Ridley's always been content when it comes to playing second-banana to stronger, wiser, and in general more capable foes, so unless Grima is keeping Ridley from looting, pillaging, and in general killing, there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've always thought the "incomplete" argument was a load of bull. It only makes sense if the character in question is playable, because a stage element is inevitably going to have limited moves in a small amount of time, in one out of many stages. If Hazardly's purpose is to shoot fireballs and use his stinger-tail, then that really shouldn't take a significant amount of time to program in the game.

All that Yellow Devil and Koume & Kotake do in their respective stages is one or two attacks at best, and yet nobody's declaring them to be works of wizardry.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Heh. I've always found that such an odd mentality. Why not let Sakurai add your most hated character if it'd mean you'd get to punch it in the face?
But yeah, it could possibly also have large negative effects. Only Nintendo has numbers on that if any.

If there is something we know for sure, it's that Ridley, whether deconfirmed or not, will create large amounts of noise.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've always thought the "incomplete" argument was a load of bull. It only makes sense if the character in question is playable, because a stage element is inevitably going to have limited moves in a small amount of time, in one out of many stages. If Hazardly's purpose is to shoot fireballs and use his stinger-tail, then that really shouldn't take a significant amount of time to program in the game.

All that Yellow Devil and Koume & Kotake do in their respective stages is one or two attacks at best, and yet nobody's declaring them to be works of wizardry.
All that we've seen is one or two attacks.

Heh. I've always found that such an odd mentality. Why not let Sakurai add your most hated character if it'd mean you'd get to punch it in the face?
But yeah, it could possibly also have large negative effects. Only Nintendo has numbers on that if any.

If there is something we know for sure, it's that Ridley, whether deconfirmed or not, will create large amounts of noise.
Because it would still be playable nonetheless.

Regardless, I'm going to make an offer. If anyone is interested in making a little wager on Ridley's status, please send me a pm. Don't worry, there'll be fair bets on both sides of it. Oh, and this is not monetary.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Good lord, has it finally reached that point?

We've made 1000 pages since the April Direct, in a matter of four months. And now it's only a question as to when Ridley will finally make his long-awaited debut in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS as a playable character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

a34.png
Holy ****

Yellow Devil can fire FRICKING LASER BEAMS!

That's gotta take, like, a year of development!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 21387 Holy ****

Does the yellow devil fire them out of his mouth in a shark-like manner?... I'll show myself out. Also, is this argument still going on? I thought --- Told us to stop about this in general. So why am I still seeing arguments?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
View attachment 21387 Holy ****

That's not quite what I meant perhaps I should explain better. There are higher things to do on the priority list than bosses. There's stages, assist trophies, characters, heck, even trophies and items that are probably all ranked higher than the bosses. There's always the possibility they started, took a break to do something else, then went on to it.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
mangling? well that's a little offensive. the latin text is : "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" which translates to "more things should not be used than are necessary". so i think i steered clear of any mangling. Anyway i'm not gonna get all tangled up about that. I probably did get a little carried away in that comment, especially that last line, it was pretty troll-ish. i'm sorry about that. if i cut the crap, i guess all i really want to express is that being a Ridley supporter doesn't mean you are grasping at straws. the way i see it, either point of view is respectable. so when you said that you don't see ridley being playable and that you were just being realistic (implying all supporters are being unrealistic), i found that a bit offensive and degrading.
Well I don't mean to be a jerk but saying ridley is likely playable because he wasn't deconfirmed, when he wasn't even shown, is totally grasping at straws.

It's not impossible, we're all still speculating, but rn the evidence is largely against ridley being playable

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Does the yellow devil fire them out of his mouth in a shark-like manner?... I'll show myself out. Also, is this argument still going on? I thought --- Told us to stop about this in general. So why am I still seeing arguments?
Uh, it's not really an argument anymore. More of a discussion. Nonviolent.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
It's never been DIRECTLY stated, I admit that. But it's been implied to the point that it doesn't need to be stated.

and oh look at that I got reported by the pissed off anti-brony. Big surprise.
Well, no need to hate me then. My bestie is actually a brony, and he makes great dubstep! But I seriously doubt you were reported partially because you are a brony.

Now to point this out, I understand Ridley detractors are only trying to be realistic in the whole situation; that I can get past. What I can't get past is that most detractors feel they must always be right, and attack other people's opinions as a result. Don't believe me? Take a good look at the videos explaining why Ridley shouldn't be playable. Is it really necessary to be so harsh against fans? The shadow in the direct doesn't help clear their name, as the fanbase has now become even more ridiculed, since hardly anyone will bother to look at the evidence.

I've even seen a guy on miiverse that disguises himself as a Ridley fan, just to make fun of them...that is unforgivable blackface!

I don't mean to say you're one of those mean detractors, but to say they're boneless, or for someone to say the supporters are worse than Sony fanboys...that's cruel even if it were true. I used to be a detractor myself until I actually took thought of the evidence in favor of Ridley. It was when I finally decided to be a supporter when I realized just how insensitive the detractors can be.

I don't care if the detractors are right or not...I just wanna see justice out of them. I've only seen one supporter get more aggressive than detractors, and even then, we've done nothing wrong to deserve this. Like I said...I want justice.

Good lord, has it finally reached that point?

We've made 1000 pages since the April Direct, in a matter of four months. And now it's only a question as to when Ridley will finally make his long-awaited debut in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS as a playable character.
Yep. our sadness started on 492. We must remain strong for just a little longer for the final battle with, or against, Lord Sakurai

Also posting on the 1000th cuz i missed every other milestone

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Regardless, I'm going to make an offer. If anyone is interested in making a little wager on Ridley's status, please send me a pm. Don't worry, there'll be fair bets on both sides of it. Oh, and this is not monetary.
Here's my wager for you: If you cannot create a reasonable rebuttal to the argument you have thus far ignored sometime within your next three posts, you have to remove the Cutie Mark Crusaders from your signature and replace them with more Pinkie Pie.

The argument is this:

Every other character who has received a disconfirmation has had it explicitly stated. When they appear in a Pic of the Day or other material, there is a tagline attached that says "oh, by the way, they aren't playable". When a character with as minor demand as Prince Sablé was announced and that tag was left out, Nintendo went and explicitly tweeted that he was a non-playable assist (I believe there was one other character they did this with as well).

Yet for Ridley, there has been no such official disconfirmation. The only other character who has shown up outside of gameplay without explicit disconfirmation was Toon Link, who was shown directly. And he was shown a lot more directly, and he turned out to be playable.

Acknowledge this argument, and form a rebuttal to it, please. Or get those three annoying little ponies out of your signature.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, no need to hate me then. My bestie is actually a brony, and he makes great dubstep! But I seriously doubt you were reported partially because you are a brony.

Now to point this out, I understand Ridley detractors are only trying to be realistic in the whole situation; that I can get past. What I can't get past is that most detractors feel they must always be right, and attack other people's opinions as a result. Don't believe me? Take a good look at the videos explaining why Ridley shouldn't be playable. Is it really necessary to be so harsh against fans? The shadow in the direct doesn't help clear their name, as the fanbase has now become even more ridiculed, since hardly anyone will bother to look at the evidence.

I've even seen a guy on miiverse that disguises himself as a Ridley fan, just to make fun of them...that is unforgivable blackface!

I don't mean to say you're one of those mean detractors, but to say they're boneless, or for someone to say the supporters are worse than Sony fanboys...that's cruel even if it were true. I used to be a detractor myself until I actually took thought of the evidence in favor of Ridley. It was when I finally decided to be a supporter when I realized just how insensitive the detractors can be.

I don't care if the detractors are right or not...I just wanna see justice out of them. I've only seen one supporter get more aggressive than detractors, and even then, we've done nothing wrong to deserve this. Like I said...I want justice.
The boneless line is a reference to an episode of MLP. I apologize if that wasn't understood. The image posted with it is the part that is shown as said line is spoken in the episode.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's my wager for you: If you cannot create a reasonable rebuttal to the argument you have thus far ignored sometime within your next three posts, you have to remove the Cutie Mark Crusaders from your signature and replace them with more Pinkie Pie.

The argument is this:

Every other character who has received a disconfirmation has had it explicitly stated. When they appear in a Pic of the Day or other material, there is a tagline attached that says "oh, by the way, they aren't playable". When a character with as minor demand as Prince Sablé was announced and that tag was left out, Nintendo went and explicitly tweeted that he was a non-playable assist (I believe there was one other character they did this with as well).

Yet for Ridley, there has been no such official disconfirmation. The only other character who has shown up outside of gameplay without explicit disconfirmation was Toon Link, who was shown directly. And he turned out to be playable.

Acknowledge this argument, and form a rebuttal to it, please. Or get those three annoying little ponies out of your signature.
DAMMIT I THOUGHT WE ER- Hey, what's that on bets? Have we gone this far in 3-4 pages? Is it safe to un-ignore? Find out next time on Kirby Fighters Z

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
You know what, if Ridley's not playable, that's fine. I'm still buying the game because of Megaman, Pacman, Robin, Sonic, Dedede, Bandanna Dee, K. Rool, etc. I'll still make Retsupurae voiced jokes while fighting him (Thought they might be slightly more bitter.) Overall, I'd be okay with Ridley not being in.

However, I do have to ask. Why does KeyBladeGuy, and other "I'm letting you down easy" detractors think that they're helping by stomping on our hopes for something even cooler? How is attacking people's dreams and fun and theories helping them at all, especially since this whole thing is just about a video game, anyway.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman

Look at it this way:
Ridley is just as popular as Mewtwo. Mewtwo is hard to balance, while Ridley is hard to get looking right.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Uh, it's not really an argument anymore. More of a discussion. Nonviolent.
Pretty much. Nothing really worth nagging at you guys for the moment (;)), though the MLP talk should be taken elsewhere.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You know what, if Ridley's not playable, that's fine. I'm still buying the game because of Megaman, Pacman, Robin, Sonic, Dedede, Bandanna Dee, K. Rool, etc. I'll still make Retsupurae voiced jokes while fighting him (Thought they might be slightly more bitter.) Overall, I'd be okay with Ridley not being in.

However, I do have to ask. Why does KeyBladeGuy, and other "I'm letting you down easy" detractors think that they're helping by stomping on our hopes for something even cooler? How is attacking people's dreams and fun and theories helping them at all, especially since this whole thing is just about a video game, anyway.
Because people will get pissed at Sakurai for Ridley's absence. I don't want Sakurai getting a bunch of "you suck" posts and emails and such because he didn't. I'm trying to keep people from going overboard BECAUSE it's just a game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
e34.png
This MLP talk greatly amuses me, as I've been posting crossover work on this place for like a few months and have only gotten flak like once or twice.

Maybe it's because I support Ridley on the Ridley thread.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
How is attacking people's dreams and fun and theories helping them at all, especially since this whole thing is just about a video game, anyway.
Some people just like watching dreams die. I have run across a person who did not really care for Smash Brothers at all, but just wanted Ridley unplayable so he could watch Ridley Fan's reactions.

There is really no excuse that works when wanting to see someone's dream die, but there are people like that who exist.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

The argument is this:

Yet for Ridley, there has been no such official disconfirmation. The only other character who has shown up outside of gameplay without explicit disconfirmation was Toon Link, who was shown directly. And he was shown a lot more directly, and he turned out to be playable.

Basically because ridley has never been shown. He was given a small tease with his shadow, but that's a tease, designed to make you speculate. The rest were all straight up reveals that were meant to be clear

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I do want to make one point as for why I get so irritated at this fanbase in particular. Many of you guys play RtC. But every time we rate Ridley, a lot of them give him super high marks (even a few 100%) just because. Surely you must see that point.

Top Bottom