• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Look at who's grasping at straws here...Just one question, if Sakurai wanted to avoid fake hype, why hype Ridley being a boss? because of boss hazards? Yellow Devil already did that!
Name one person who got hyped by Yellow Devil being a boss. Hmmm? None? That's what I thought.
That's not hard evidence. That's Sakurai going out of his way to not give hard evidence. If it were hard evidence, either Sakurai would have said "Ridley is a boss", or we would have seen footage of Ridley as a boss.
Hard evidence is exactly what we're lacking here.
No. That is Sakurai being Sakurai. The fact that Ridley's sole appearance to date is in a section about BOSSES proves conclusively his role.

A statue = the actual character. This is not teasing, this is showing off a background element.

It appears that Sakurai decides each picture himself. Maybe he doesn't find anything on Pyrosphere warranting a picture of the day yet. Or yet again, he 's trolling you. So what if it's 8 months, that just means he had 8 months of material he deemed more worthy than a pathetic boss.
So why would he ever hype something he deems pathetic and unimportant? Making one of the most highly requested characters unimportant and pathetic doesn't make a lot of sense

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A statue = the actual character. This is not teasing, this is showing off a background element.

It appears that Sakurai decides each picture himself. Maybe he doesn't find anything on Pyrosphere warranting a picture of the day yet. Or yet again, he 's trolling you. So what if it's 8 months, that just means he had 8 months of material he deemed more worthy than a pathetic boss.
A stage= not a character
See how well detractor logic works? And do you seriously doubt that Sakurai and Bamco haven't finished enough to show Ridley for at least 2 years?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
A stage= not a character
See how well detractor logic works? And do you seriously doubt that Sakurai and Bamco haven't finished enough to show Ridley for at least 2 years?
That is not what I said. I said that because a statue of Palutena appeared in the background, it did not deconfirm her. The way that everyone was so quick to shoot it down is like saying the Lincoln Memorial means Lincoln didn't exist.

As for Ridley, that is not what I said. I said that Sakurai has things that he deems more fitting for a PotD than Ridley, who for all we know, isn't even done yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Name one person who got hyped by Yellow Devil being a boss. Hmmm? None? That's what I thought.

No. That is Sakurai being Sakurai. The fact that Ridley's sole appearance to date is in a section about BOSSES proves conclusively his role.
So if no one gets hyped, you hype it again and make your fans fight? Also, If it was mere trolling, why not disconfirm Ridley, or ACTUALLY MENTION RIDLEY BY NAME?!? That's important, the only disconfirmations without names were flat out shown, with models and effects, Ridley's shadow and tail were shown. Chrom, Ashley and the Prince: Unclear to a few, Sakurai/Nintendo stated after a while that they weren't playable. Ridley: Unclear, all the fans argue about Ridley's unconfirmed role, Nothing from Sakurai/Nintendo

Xenorange

Smash Lord
What does Meta knight have to do with anything? Sakurai flat out said he was joining the battle. So unless he was lying, Meta Knight's playable.

But it doesn't....we still don't know if he's a boss or not. Nintendo and Sakurai always swoop in when there is confusion like they did with Chrom in the last newcomer reveal and they always show a character and deconfirm them (Waluigi, Takamaru etc.) so why haven't they with Ridley?

Do you honestly think Sakurai would stay quiet for 4 months without clearing up what Ridley's role is and then he ends up being a boss? You honestly expect Sakurai to be this unprofessional?

As for Ridley, that is not what I said. I said that Sakurai has things that he deems more fitting for a PotD than Ridley, who for all we know, isn't even done yet.
What? The game comes out in a month in Japan and you think Ridley isn't done yet?!

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
I've read it it doesn't change my opinion at all. Ridley is still possible but his chances at being playable are very low given the implications of the direct.

It's a perfect example of occams razor
ok man, i'm no Philosophy genius but i did take an intro Philosophy course and i have the internet, so i know that Occam's razor is derived form his statement: "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily". this statement was actually referring to situations where you have multiple theories trying to prove the same thing, Occam (and many others) always go for the simplest explanation. but we are not trying to prove the same thing, so it doesn't really apply to this situation. I do think i get what you meant though, so i'll overlook that.

let's look at the facts we have:
1. Sakurai has a reputation as a troll because of past actions. There are many examples of this, one in particular being his fake zero suit samus deconfirmation at the invitational.
2. when teasing a character as playable Sakurai is always quick to clear things up, as to avoid false hype. Look at the Chrom situation, after the trailer was released he gave a statement clarifying Chrom's role in the game and stating he was not playable. Even when a character seems to be quite obviously not playable, like the takamaru AT reveal, he still makes sure things are clear.

so knowing this, Ridley supporters are really only making one assumption: that Sakurai will remain consistent in his ways, not making Ridley an exception.
Ridley detractors are assuming that sakurai was being serious with the ridley shadow tease when talking about stage bosses. they also are assuming that Ridley will be the only character that sakurai blatantly teases yet does not clarify as unplayable. This assumption is especially big knowing Ridley's popularity in NA and given the amount of time that Sakurai has said nothing on the matter.

in short: Occam would be a Ridley supporter. :)

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Point C: This is in no way even relevant. The game is still a work in progress. It's only natural things will look odd and buggy. It's always possible that Ridley's BOSS model, or even Pyrosphere itself is incomplete or glitch, which explains why we haven't seen it lately.
Sure. Let's completely ignore Ridley for a few months then, and not show him through a form of media that isn't animated and could easily show a work in progress character without showing its incompleteness and leave all of the Ridley fans in the dark while generating fake hype.

Seriously, why hasn't he made a PotD yet about him. I mean, I'm not sure who's hyped up for bosses around here. Pretty sure playable characters get most of the love. And Sakurai doesn't like it when fake hype is created, so why is he shooting himself in the foot by telling us nothing?

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
That is not what I said. I said that because a statue of Palutena appeared in the background, it did not deconfirm her. The way that everyone was so quick to shoot it down is like saying the Lincoln Memorial means Lincoln didn't exist.

"As for Ridley, that is not what I said. I said that Sakurai has things that he deems more fitting for a PotD than Ridley, who for all we know, isn't even done yet"
more fitting for a PotD than Ridley
more fitting
than Ridley

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Ironically, I heard people used the "A statue = the actual character" logic against Palutena being playable and look were that got them.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well his shadow was shown as Sakurai said there will be other bosses besides yellow devil so the implication is pretty clear. So Sakurai would have be trolling very hard for ridley to be playable.
Lemmie stop you right there, and ask that you rewatch the Yellow Devil section of the Direct. I shall quote what Sakurai said in the part with Ridley.

"Boss characters make appearances in other stages, not just this one."

Now it would be different if Sakurai said "stage boss" or "stage hazard." ...But "boss character?" That title was never used by Sakurai to describe the Yellow Devil, so "boss character" could mean anything. Bowser and King Dedede are boss characters, right? They are characters that have been bosses in their own respective games.

Just some food for thought.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Warning Received
But it doesn't....we still don't know if he's a boss or not. Nintendo and Sakurai always swoop in when there is confusion like they did with Chrom in the last newcomer reveal and they always show a character and deconfirm them (Waluigi, Takamaru etc.) so why haven't they with Ridley?

Do you honestly think Sakurai would stay quiet for 4 months without clearing up what Ridley's role is and then he ends up being a boss? You honestly expect Sakurai to be this unprofessional?

What? The game comes out in a month in Japan and you think Ridley isn't done yet?!
Sakurai is a troll. Nintendo loves a good joke, and this is te daddy of jokes to them. All I'm doing is setting pillows down for the fall that will inevitably happen.

Bottom Line; Ridley's not playable and it's confirmed, but you all are letting blind bias in the sole "fact" of popularity = getting in the game make your judgement clouded.

Anyone care to make a little wager on Ridley's playable status? Or are you not confident in your own beliefs?

Are you in... or are you too boneless?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Lemmie stop you right there, and ask that you rewatch the Yellow Devil section of the Direct. I shall quote what Sakurai said in the part with Ridley.

"Boss characters make appearances in other stages, not just this one."

Now it would be different if Sakurai said "stage boss" or "stage hazard." ...But "boss character?" That title was never used by Sakurai to describe the Yellow Devil, so "boss character" could mean anything. Bowser and King Dedede are boss characters, right? They are characters that have been bosses in their own respective games.

Just some food for thought.
Playing devil's advocate here for a second. The whole "bos character" thing is a translation quirk. In Japanese it said "boss gimmick" or something among those lines.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Listen. If you want to come in here and parade around hard evidence, that's fine. I don't care if you think Ridley is playable or not. I don't let my own opinions of Ridley get in the way of my argument skills.

I'm not trying to tell you Ridley is playable. I don't have a good opinion on that myself. But if you think that Ridley has been confirmed to be a boss, you are quite simply wrong. I don't know if you just hate the character so much that you're letting it blind your logic, or if you're salty from the Takamaru deconfirmation, or if you just have a bone to pick because the thread is large. But there have only been implications to Ridley's role as of this point. A quote. A shadow. A year of waiting.

Do I think it's weird that Ridley's role hasn't been shown yet? Yes. Do I think that means that Ridley is playable? No. I have no idea. And neither do you. Please stop spouting nonsense in this thread.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a troll. Nintendo loves a good joke, and this is te daddy of jokes to them. All I'm doing is setting pillows down for the fall that will inevitably happen.
Alienating parts of your fanbase by stomping them is not a good business practice.
The troll argument, by the way, is multidirectional. Sakurai could very easily be prepared to troll everyone else. After all, Ridley is pretty controversial, and a lot of people don't believe that he is playable.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
"As for Ridley, that is not what I said. I said that Sakurai has things that he deems more fitting for a PotD than Ridley, who for all we know, isn't even done yet"
more fitting
than Ridley

Ok, for this image, that kitty looks like it's about to pounce on something. I have kitties. I know that look. It sees something interesting moving, and it is going to pounce on it. However, it seems to be looking even further to Peach's left than the screen shows. I bet he spotted a little purple dragon, and he's winding up for an attack. Ridley confirmed!

By the way, when it comes to Samus losing her power, Metroid Fusion did the best job of explaining it.

For Metroid Prime, I think she should have failed to escape the destruction of the Orpheon in time. The frigate blows up, she gets rescued by the automatic pickup by her ship, but her suit is really heavily damaged from it because, well, a spaceship blew up around her.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You hit the nail right on the head.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Bottom Line; Ridley's not playable and it's confirmed, but you all are letting blind bias in the sole "fact" of popularity = getting in the game make your judgement clouded.

Anyone care to make a little wager on Ridley's playable status? Or are you not confident in your own beliefs?

Are you in... or are you too boneless?
Wiidude83, a detractor has made a bet that Ridley will be playable, you are being insulting and are exibit A for turning mlp neutrals like myself into anti-bronies, and Sakurai hasn't confirmed anything other than Ridley is in the game in some form. I am saying this without being insulting: You are acting like a child who is in denial that Santa doesn't exist

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Listen. If you want to come in here and parade around hard evidence, that's fine. I don't care if you think Ridley is playable or not. I don't let my own opinions of Ridley get in the way of my argument skills.

I'm not trying to tell you Ridley is playable. I don't have a good opinion on that myself. But if you think that Ridley has been confirmed to be a boss, you are quite simply wrong. I don't know if you just hate the character so much that you're letting it blind your logic, or if you're salty from the Takamaru deconfirmation, or if you just have a bone to pick because the thread is large. But there have only been implications to Ridley's role as of this point. A quote. A shadow. A year of waiting.

Do I think it's weird that Ridley's role hasn't been shown yet? Yes. Do I think that means that Ridley is playable? No. I have no idea. And neither do you. Please stop spouting nonsense in this thread.
I don't hate Ridley. I do however have a bone to pick with his fanbase. The fact that it has indeed been confirmed his role isn't enough to you guys. I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm here stating facts. I remain 100% calm, while it's obvious some of you are getting mad. Don't get mad.

Every other fanbase has gotten over their character deconfirmation just fine. Except this one.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Anyone who thinks the reason Bossley hasn't been shown yet because "he's incomplete" must really question the talent and competency of the SSB4 development team.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ok, I just have to share this weird Smash-related dream that I had last night. I dreamt that there was a new newcomer video on the site. And the newcomers in that trailer were:

- Meowth
- Clefairy
- Professor Layton
- and a SMALL RIDLEY RIDING ON THE BACK OF A GIANT RIDLEY

o_o

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is this not Straw Grasping?

You are now doing the very thing you wanted us not to do, forming theories not backed by facts and that are soiled with anti-character bias.

He found pictures of other Stage Hazards/Stage Bosses worthy of showing, so why wouldn't he show Ridley if he is indeed a stage boss?

Sakurai is aware of the fact that fans like having knowledge of game content, as such, why would he mix filler into these 8 months, since filler inherently is not as worthy as new information about the game, PotD's existing for the sole purpose of such release of new information?

He is also aware of how important Ridley is to the Metroid franchise, and how well he is known by Metroid and Smash Bros. fans.

Considering pictures that discuss items already shown in the past as more important than one detailing what role a heavily supported character has in the game? Sakurai does not think like that, he is well aware of the fact that the characters in Smash Bros. are far and away the most important part of the game for the majority of the fanbase.

Also, it doesn't matter how said character is mentioned, be it their actual physical appearance or some passing mention of their relation to a different character, if a character is shown, with their status not immediately explained. Then that is, by dictionary definition, a tease.
Tease - to tantalize especially by arousing desire or curiosity often without intending to satisfy it.
Background element or not, Palutena was still shown without her status immediately being explained, thus she was undeniably teased.

I'll say it again, please don't act like a hypocrite, telling us not to Straw Grasp and then turning around and doing it isn't going to help your case. Also, I would recommend that you keep your anti-character bias out of the argument, that will only make things worse and will soil whatever points you try to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just have to share this weird Smash-related dream that I had last night. I dreamt that there was a new newcomer video on the site. And the newcomers in that trailer were:

- Meowth
- Clefairy
- and a SMALL RIDLEY RIDING ON THE BACK OF A GIANT RIDLEY

o_o
That would honestly be amazing no matter how illogical

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't hate Ridley. I do however have a bone to pick with his fanbase. The fact that it has indeed been confirmed his role isn't enough to you guys. I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm here stating facts. I remain 100% calm, while it's obvious some of you are getting mad. Don't get mad.

Every other fanbase has gotten over their character deconfirmation just fine. Except this one.
You've already stooped the the point of trying to make bets, and you've been (purposefully?) mis-interpreting information for your points. If that's not trying to cause trouble, I don't know what is. You left the realm of facts a while ago.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

So who are you to pop our sweet daydreams of massacres and destruction? Why can't we have nice things, or at the very least, imagine the existence of things that are nice?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Wiidude83, a detractor has made a bet that Ridley will be playable, you are being insulting and are exibit A for turning mlp neutrals like myself into anti-bronies, and Sakurai hasn't confirmed anything other than Ridley is in the game in some form. I am saying this without being insulting: You are acting like a child who is in denial that Santa doesn't exist
You're the one who's getting mad.

And oh look, I post one MLP pic andall of sudden your anti-brony - well that's certainly not bigotry there is it?

Sakurai has confirmed his role as a boss. Perhaps you don't quite understand it, but the Japanese people I have met don't always go straightforward when talking. Just like Americans. And Germans. And Russians.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

for K.rist's sake, there isn't any official confirmation! Imagine, Ridley is revealed playable tommorow, how about we all storm your profile and laugh? Not that we will do it(I hope I don't speak for myself here) but if he DOES end up being playable and Ridley either isn't the boss or the Alfonso thing happens, you will just get laughed at, and not even your precious little Pinke Pie would make you smile after that

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

You have been ignoring everything everyone's been saying haven't you?

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
ok man, i'm no Philosophy genius but i did take an intro Philosophy course and i have the internet, so i know that Occam's razor is derived form his statement: "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily". this statement was actually referring to situations where you have multiple theories trying to prove the same thing, Occam (and many others) always go for the simplest explanation. but we are not trying to prove the same thing, so it doesn't really apply to this situation. I do think i get what you meant though, so i'll overlook that.

let's look at the facts we have:
1. Sakurai has a reputation as a troll because of past actions. There are many examples of this, one in particular being his fake zero suit samus deconfirmation at the invitational.
2. when teasing a character as playable Sakurai is always quick to clear things up, as to avoid false hype. Look at the Chrom situation, after the trailer was released he gave a statement clarifying Chrom's role in the game and stating he was not playable. Even when a character seems to be quite obviously not playable, like the takamaru AT reveal, he still makes sure things are clear.

so knowing this, Ridley supporters are really only making one assumption: that Sakurai will remain consistent in his ways, not making Ridley an exception.
Ridley detractors are assuming that sakurai was being serious with the ridley shadow tease when talking about stage bosses. they also are assuming that Ridley will be the only character that sakurai blatantly teases yet does not clarify as unplayable. This assumption is especially big knowing Ridley's popularity in NA and given the amount of time that Sakurai has said nothing on the matter.

in short: Occam would be a Ridley supporter. :)
I'll ignore your mangling of occams razor because I have to be concise, I'm at work, but theres obviously a huge difference between confusion over the fire emblem trailer, and the ridley tease in the direct.

One was meant to be a clear reveal the other was just a tease of things to come

Last edited:
You're the one who's getting mad.

And oh look, I post one MLP pic andall of sudden your anti-brony - well that's certainly not bigotry there is it?

Sakurai has confirmed his role as a boss. Perhaps you don't quite understand it, but the Japanese people I have met don't always go straightforward when talking. Just like Americans. And Germans. And Russians.
Are all of those people specifically trying to sell you a product? Are they all trying to make you want to pay even more attention than before?
Plus if you honestly think making bets and calling us "boneless" isn't childish you are sorely mistaken

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Just ignore Keybladeguy people, like I have. It's obvious that he's just a troll who's looking for attention.

He's been bashing Ridley waaaayy before the April Direct.

This is the problem here, you can't be sure he's 100% a boss and we can't be sure he's 100% playable. We are not saying he's playable we are saying he's likely. You on the other hand are claiming your opinion as fact which is wrong to do.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
for K.rist's sake, there isn't any official confirmation! Imagine, Ridley is revealed playable tommorow, how about we all storm your profile and laugh? Not that we will do it(I hope I don't speak for myself here) but if he DOES end up being playable and Ridley either isn't the boss or the Alfonso thing happens, you will just get laughed at, and not even your precious little Pinke Pie would make you smile after that
A. It's Christ. Not Krist.
B. If Ridley is ever revealed as playable in this installment of the series, I invite every single one of the people on these last 3 pages to come swarm my profile and laugh at me.
C. Pinkie Pie always makes me smile.

Again, I'm not the one getting mad here.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Us mods are watching BTW.

Top Bottom