• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Not always. Let's take Takamaru for example. The first thing people notice in a PotD is the picture, I'm sure many (many) people were saying "OMFG! Takamaru confirmed!" Then they read his comment.
That wouldn't be a troll, that's just people getting dissapointed over Takamaru being an assist trophy, the second people had hope for him he was disconfirmed. He was never teased, never hinted at, just blunty disconfirmed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fixed, those filthy hashtags must never appear again!

And Sakurai took everyone in existance a trip on his ruse cruise like I mentioned before
Not always. Let's take Takamaru for example. The first thing people notice in a PotD is the picture, I'm sure many (many) people were saying "OMFG! Takamaru confirmed!" Then they read his comment.
Am I the sick person who immideatly saw the name Takamaru and thought NUUUUUUUU?
And Sakurai confirmed Takamaru not being playable, no beating around the bush(that sounds dirty...) unlike Ridley who hasn't even been acknowledged

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yeah. This is my stance as well. I know there was a lot of effort put into the 2nd post, but as of yet, it doesn't prove Ridley is playable, it just makes you think he may not be a stage hazard because of the reasons shown.
I think that's the relative point. No one can actually prove Ridley's either playable or non-playable other than Sakurai himself. I'm pretty sure we're not stating he IS playable, just based on previous observations from what's been shown from Sakurai, most of us gathered Ridley seems more playable than stage hazard.

Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Master troll with a payoff. He doesn't troll for Misery, he trolls to make it seem grim and then BAM awesome hype thing.
"Just because you try hard doesnt mean you're gonna make it"

Good thing Im not a Waluigi fan, that stings real hard.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
This was a trailer idea I posted in the Mewtwo thread that had both Ridley and Mewtwo. What do you guys think?

*smash logo*

We see Samus running through a hallway. Lights and sirens going haywire. Samus kocks down a door and runs into a research lab. There are several test tubes and pods. One of them has shattered leaving liquid and broken glass everywhere. Samus begins to scan the area. In the background we begin hearing this theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G5HIJkkxU0). Mewtwo leaps out from the shadows.

MEWTWO STRIKES BACK!

The two begin battling and there battle takes them to the Pyrosphere (don't ask how). Samus detects something with her visor and Mewtwo senses something with its psychic powers. They cease their fighting as something big lands between them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fje8t9Jyy-o

RIDLEY MAKES HIS BIG DEBUT!

*cut to gameplay footage of Ridley and Mewtwo fighting each other and the other combatants on stages that are not Pyrospehere. We see that Mewtwo has been buffed and given some new moves and Ridley is shown to have a flying ablilty similar to Peach's float.*

*game logo*

The trailer ends with Mega Mewtwo Y glaring up at Ridley as the two prepare to fight each other.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
That's the only reason I think ridley even has a hope but it's a bit soon to be assuming he's guaranteed
when he is confirmed, you owe everyone an apology, and you will not be invited to ridley's smash party.

NO CAKE FOR YOU!

anyone who is still doubting after a year of teasing, thinking ridley is "strongly implied" to be anything other than a playable character... is suffering EXTREME denial.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I think that's the relative point. No one can actually prove Ridley's either playable or non-playable other than Sakurai himself. I'm pretty sure we're not stating he IS playable, just based on previous observations from what's been shown from Sakurai, most of us gathered Ridley seems more playable than stage hazard.

Read the post I quoted, he is responding to someone claiming that haters will be looking forward to see Ridley REMOVED from SSB5.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Come on Sakurai, tell us if Ridley is playable (Please be the first answer) or not. The ball is in your court, Sakurai.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I would love some reasoning as to why you think he's playable.

And NO STRAW GRASPING.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

And NO STRAW GRASPING.
Sakurai has been proven to disconfirm stuff as soon as it's shown, not the case with Ridley or Palutena, has hinted at Ridley twice in the smash direct, again, just like Palutena. And Ridley's shadow moves odd and can be proven to be slightly redesigned

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
stating he IS playable, just based on previous observations from what's been
That wasn't even meant to sting! Waluigi has been stated to be a hard worker in smash! Why does everyone think it was a mean comment? The Waluigi pluchie in the smash direct was to apologise I think
Please, its a joke, and Im sure they didnt take it kindly. It would be like deconfirming Ridley by saying: "I know he has been a highly requested character, but it simply was too big of a challenge for us".

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

And NO STRAW GRASPING.
2nd post.

It's not straw grasping, it's using points from the past of Sakurai's behavior to show why I think this.

Takamaru-disconfirmed immediatly
Chrom- after people were confused, sakurai told ign he was a final smash
Waluigi, shown, immediatly disconfirmed.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sakurai has been proven to disconfirm stuff as soon as it's shown, not the case with Ridley or Palutena, has hinted at Ridley twice in the smash direct, again, just like Palutena. And Ridley's shadow moves odd and can be proven to be slightly redesigned
Let's start with point A. Sakurai has been shown to disconfirm stuff as soon as it's shown. This is in no way a rule atypical to his behavior. Just because he does one thing MOST of the time does not mean he can't shake things up a little bit. We also now know that Sakurai does indeed troll.

Point B. Palutena was hinted at ONCE in the direct.

Point C: This is in no way even relevant. The game is still a work in progress. It's only natural things will look odd and buggy. It's always possible that Ridley's BOSS model, or even Pyrosphere itself is incomplete or glitch, which explains why we haven't seen it lately.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
i see a common theme to the detractors who come in here every so often, they say that sakurai implied ridley to be a boss beause he was shown after yellow devil. i remember someone was blowing up about it because alot of people were giving their thoughts about it

Let's start with point A. Sakurai has been shown to disconfirm stuff as soon as it's shown. This is in no way a rule atypical to his behavior. Just because he does one thing MOST of the time does not mean he can't shake things up a little bit. We also now know that Sakurai does indeed troll.

Point C: This is in no way even relevant. The game is still a work in progress. It's only natural things will look odd and buggy. It's always possible that Ridley's BOSS model, or even Pyrosphere itself is incomplete or glitch, which explains why we haven't seen it lately.
okay so she was hinted at once in the direct...what about the time when this PotD was posted?
so then she was hinted at twice

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
stating he IS playable, just based on previous observations from what's been

Please, its a joke, and Im sure they didnt take it kindly. It would be like deconfirming Ridley by saying: "I know he has been a highly requested character, but it simply was too big of a challenge for us".
I needed to get rid of the steam as I see people everywhere saying GUIZ DON TRST SACKRI HE NO LISN 2 FNZ!!!!1

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

Then why does he egg ridley fans on when there is doubt, he didn't say that ridley was a boss, he just "hinted" at it. No special tweets to clear up confusion.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
when he is confirmed, you owe everyone an apology, and you will not be invited to ridley's smash party.

NO CAKE FOR YOU!

anyone who is still doubting after a year of teasing, thinking ridley is "strongly implied" to be anything other than a playable character... is suffering EXTREME denial.
Pretty sure I'm not the one in denial but ok. When was he even teased other than the direct?

If I'm right you have to apologize to me :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Point A: Ridley is the only exception to this rule apparantly, as he has has no confirmation whatsoever
Point B: I consider showing Pit's new FS to be teasing Palutena, as everyone thought "Hey, what happened to Palutena?"
Point C: The Wii U version is in development, Pyrosphere was one of the first stages shown and has been worked on for a few years, it's silly to claim it's probably unfinished
Point 4: Ridley's wings look MUCH different in Other M than the shadow, the shadow seems to be based on the Concept Art for Other M

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There is no hard evidence that Ridley is playable.

There is also no hard evidence that Ridley is a boss

There is only hard evidence that Ridley is in the game, and appears on the pyrosphere.

*shrug

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
He also is "egging on" with Meta Knight right here.

And might I point out that the second post is nothing but grasping at straws which do not in effect exist.
  1. "grasp at straws. This idiom refers to a drowning man grabbing any floating object, even a straw, to save himself. It was first used by Thomas More in Dialogue of Comfort Against Tribulation (1534). " Well then

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
He also is "egging on" with Meta Knight right here.

And might I point out that the second post is nothing but grasping at straws which do not in effect exist.
So let me get this straight
MEta knight being teased, even Sakurai stating his name= Playable
RIdley being teased for a year, without ever showing him(besides the shadow) or saying his name= boss 100%
wat.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

And NO STRAW GRASPING.
Well I'm not good at detailed explanations, so I'll be frank about it. Sakurai has went out of his way to mention every single person's role in SSB4 (excluding Ridley). Every non-playable character has been revealed (showing their in-game model) and has been stated not playable at the same time they were announced. As for playable characters, every one to date has gotten some form of teasing, most notably with a stage. Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, Miis, Pacman, and Robin have gotten something ahead of time that linked back to them that may hint to there inclusion, and every one of them got revealed later on in SSB4's development. Ridley is the only character that not only been teased with Pyrosphere, he has never been mentioned by name (similar to Palutena) or shown off (as in his in-game model) and Sakurai has yet to announce his role compared to every other character he revealed to this date. IMO, this alone is why I feel Ridley could most likely be playable as multiple circumstances has shown up for other characters who was revealed playable.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
RIdley being teased for a year, without ever showing him(besides the shadow) or saying his name= boss 100%
wat.
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSStvgo5-V0uS0 "Pic of the day. "Hello! I'm Samus, the intergalactic bounty hunter!" "And I am Meta Knight, joining the battle!!"' Joining the battle....or maybe this could mean https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd....401_745158298878189_6026848652870089232_n.jpg

D

Deleted member

Well Ridley was also only teased once in the Direct (unless we are counting his music playing over the King Kihunter Trophy).
What needs to be kept in mind as well is that Palutena was also teased elsewhere, like Ridley:
Palutena:

Pic of the day. You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena.
Ridley:

Out of the blue here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second...
Certainly Palutena wasn't teased to the extent that Ridley was/is, but both of them were shown outside of the Direct and not mentioned directly by name, but still easily inferred.

Furthermore, Pyrosphere was shown on August 20th 2013, Ridley's Shadow was shown on April 8th 2014. Not only that, but they also showed (albeit not finished at the time) the FD version of Pyrosphere. If the basic version of Pyrosphere was having problems, why would they move on to the FD form, leaving the original stage unfinished? Furthermore, the time span between the first showing of Pyrosphere and first mention of Ridley is 12 days short of 8 months, a team as large as the one working on this iteration of Smash Bros. would not be taking almost 8 months to finish a boss hazard after the first time he was mentioned. If they had to take 8 months to just make progress on a single boss hazard, then this game wouldn't be coming out until 2024.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
There is no hard evidence that Ridley is playable.

There is also no hard evidence that Ridley is a boss

There is only hard evidence that Ridley is in the game, and appears on the pyrosphere.

*shrug
Actually, there is hard evidence that he is a boss. The EXACT words from the direct where Ridley is shown are "Other Boss Character Appearances". Then Ridley's shadows swoops down. And don't even bother with the "Other M Clone Ridley" thing either. Samus uses her Other M design. The solely shown Metroid stage is from Other M. Zero Suit's design is mainly inspoired by Other M. If Ridley were to be playable, he'd be using the Other M design too.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
wat.
Well his shadow was shown as Sakurai said there will be other bosses besides yellow devil so the implication is pretty clear. So Sakurai would have be trolling very hard for ridley to be playable.

The smash boards in general remind me of Republicans in 2012 who were so insular, and started with a conclusion they liked then looked for evidence for it, that they'd totally convinced themselves victory over Obama was guaranteed. Only to be totally crushed.

It's also a mistake I made getting my hopes up for Isaac in brawl

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Actually, there is hard evidence that he is a boss. The EXACT words from the direct where Ridley is shown are "Other Boss Character Appearances". Then Ridley's shadows swoops down. And don't even bother with the "Other M Clone Ridley" thing either. Samus uses her Other M design. The solely shown Metroid stage is from Other M. Zero Suit's design is mainly inspoired by Other M. If Ridley were to be playable, he'd be using the Other M design too.
That's not hard evidence. That's Sakurai going out of his way to not give hard evidence. If it were hard evidence, either Sakurai would have said "Ridley is a boss", or we would have seen footage of Ridley as a boss.

Hard evidence is exactly what we're lacking here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Look at who's grasping at straws here...Just one question, if Sakurai wanted to avoid fake hype, why hype Ridley being a boss? because of boss hazards? Yellow Devil already did that!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well Ridley was also only teased once in the Direct (unless we are counting his music playing over the King Kihunter Trophy).
What needs to be kept in mind as well is that Palutena was also teased elsewhere, like Ridley:
Palutena:

Ridley:

Certainly Palutena wasn't teased to the extent that Ridley was/is, but both of them were shown outside of the Direct and not mentioned directly by name, but still easily inferred.

Furthermore, Pyrosphere was shown on August 20th 2013, Ridley's Shadow was shown on April 8th 2014. Not only that, but they also showed (albeit not finished at the time) the FD version of Pyrosphere. If the basic version of Pyrosphere was having problems, why would they move on to the FD form, leaving the original stage unfinished? Furthermore, the time span between the first showing of Pyrosphere and first mention of Ridley is 12 days short of 8 months, a team as large as the one working on this iteration of Smash Bros. would not be taking almost 8 months to finish a boss hazard after the first time he was mentioned. If they had to take 8 months to just make progress on a single boss hazard, then this game wouldn't be coming out until 2024.
A statue = the actual character. This is not teasing, this is showing off a background element.

It appears that Sakurai decides each picture himself. Maybe he doesn't find anything on Pyrosphere warranting a picture of the day yet. Or yet again, he 's trolling you. So what if it's 8 months, that just means he had 8 months of material he deemed more worthy than a pathetic boss.

Top Bottom