• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Hey, guys. Long time, no see.

I'm drowning in anticipation. I feel like this POTD is going to be a good one.
It's released...no, nothing (well, it's s flag explanation, but at this point, I only care about direct).

Unless he's doing the announcement in like 5-6 hours (go to sleep because it's not worth it).

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I didn't mind the PTSD part either. I had a problem with her general progression, her dependency on Adam, and her over-sexy alizarin during the zero suit scene.

PTSD with Ridley makes sense. If you remove the other stuff in the game, the PTSD makes it seem like she isn't fragile but instead that she's human. I think the scene would have had much more impact if Samus was portrayed as a general badass up until that point instead of someone who is emotionally frail, empty, and dependent. Still, the scene does it's job so I'm not complaining.
I like to think her anxiety attack was more of result of Ridley "returning from the dead", not just Ridley himself. I don't think it was until later that the story explicitly stated Ridley was a clone.

Yes, Ridley killed her parents and that has a lot to do with it. But also remember, Samus killed him for good in Super Metroid and blew up the planet his corpse was on for good measure. And then he's back somehow. If I was her, I'd be freaking out too. I'd be thinking "What is it going to take to kill this monster? CAN I kill this monster? Will I ever be able to stop him? Will Ridley ultimately kill me too?".

I think the writers in Other M had a lot of cool ideas, but ultimately their lack of experience/skill (in dialogue especially) shows through.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I like to think her anxiety attack was more of result of Ridley "returning from the dead", not just Ridley himself. I don't think it was until later that the story explicitly stated Ridley was a clone.

Yes, Ridley killed her parents and that has a lot to do with it. But also remember, Samus killed him for good in Super Metroid and blew up the planet his corpse was on for good measure. And then he's back somehow. If I was her, I'd be freaking out too. I'd be thinking "What is it going to take to kill this monster? CAN I kill this monster? Will I ever be able to stop him? Will Ridley ultimately kill me too?".

I think the writers in Other M had a lot of cool ideas, but ultimately their lack of experience/skill (in dialogue especially) shows through.
Yeah, but good concepts don't mean good games, unfortunately. The game needed less baby, less vulnerable samus, and less stupid authority figures.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Okay, I'm going to come out and say it. *clears throat*
"Hello. My name is Zawaz132, and I like Roidley's design."
*the audience gasps*

But in all seriousness, I'd be happy with any of Ridleys in Sm4sh. The organic Ridleys would make the most sense, but Meta-Ridley would be pretty great too. I'd love to use his multi-missiles, meson bomb or whatever it's called, and giant death mouth laser.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
*the audience gasps*

But in all seriousness, I'd be happy with any of Ridleys in Sm4sh. The organic Ridleys would make the most sense, but Meta-Ridley would be pretty great too. I'd love to use his multi-missiles, meson bomb or whatever it's called, and giant death mouth laser.
You are not alone in this world.

I've even grown to like Roidley more than Classic Ridley

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My stance on Roidley: could we at least wait to see him to say our stances?

I mean my favorite is the melee trophy and I agree that the one on other M looks a little weird (I'm fine just not the best design imo), but remember...

This is smash where I found the design of samus from other M the most appealing and the Sticker Star part on the Paper Mario stage to be good and promising so far.

So, I just want to wait to see him to tell.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Has anyone drawn Kirby with a Ridley hat yet?
Its been done for a long time now.

[collapse=Ridley Hat]
[/collapse]

*the audience gasps*

I honestly never hated Roidley's design, but when I seen the concept art version, I immediately preferred that look over his in-game model. Seriously, what happened?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't want a direct confirmed Ridely this week. I want that NEXT week instead, for a full year of speculation, and then the detractors will think 'Holy Crap, have we been bi&^%ing a full year, only for him to be playable after all? We are bad and should feel bad...'
It's also VERY satisfying to know that one of your favourite Youtubers in Pro-Ridley, some guy named the Autarch retweeted someone's twitter post with Wizard Glory's size comparisons

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, the writing of Other M was stupid, but I think it's far from the worst moment in her characterization. I'd say the worst was the whole varia suit situation, and seeing her blindly obeying orders from some 'brilliant tactical mind' who is just really awful.
WHAT ELSE SHE COULD DO THEN? Its not like she has a choice on that ship. She starts to disobey orders once everyone is dead and if Anthony would die, then who knows what could happen since she shouldn't have been here. Its like searching for something on a military base or going into that sector where you find Metroids in Metroid Fusion. Varia suit thing was awful and everyone can agree with that.
Ugh. There is no reason for the various ability restraints. The Power Bombs. Ok, I get that. Her suit upgrades? Those are just defensive/survival tools. The Power Bombs pose a threat to the ship's stability. WTF is the Varia Suit threatening?! Or half of her beam weapons? I mean, the Galactic Fed troops are carrying around Plasma beams but, nope, none for Samus. The Ice Beam doesn't kill, merely freezes for a few seconds, and, again, plenty of other people have them (including non military personnel). Nope, none for Samus. Just, WHY?!
Ok, Ice Beam, suit upgrades an Space Jump are not dangerous (well, Ice Beam could kill a human, but not because it freezes something - it still damages enemies since its just a power beam upgrade). Everything else, including Grapple Beam, IS. So, its better to not use them unless it is really necessary.

And i have possible explanation why Adam shot Samus - to prevent her from stopping him from destroying Sector 0 by force or going into that sector by herself instead of him. Also, in the same cutscene, he says something that can be used to describe Other M's plot and you know what.

*the audience gasps*

I like it too (and more than Brawl Ridley, but i would like hybrid design a lot more because i think Roidley is a bit too bulky). No matter which Ridley we will get (unless it is USA Metroid NES artwork Ridley), we will still get Ridley, so, there is no reason to complain about that. Its like (i use those words a lot...) complaining that RIDLEY nuke you've got lacks "OKEY-DOKEY!" and "TOO BIG?! HERE I COME!" stickers on it. It doesn't really matters since it is still a nuke that will destroy the internet and smashboards.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
I don't want a direct confirmed Ridely this week. I want that NEXT week instead, for a full year of speculation, and then the detractors will think 'Holy Crap, have we been bi&^%ing a full year, only for him to be playable after all? We are bad and should feel bad...'
It's also VERY satisfying to know that one of your favourite Youtubers in Pro-Ridley, some guy named the Autarch retweeted someone's twitter post with Wizard Glory's size comparisons
Same. I think it would suit it really well as an anniversary of debates, speculation and Ridley. Lots of Ridley.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's times like these you want to cryogenically freeze yourself until Smash comes out. But that never works out.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
'Holy Crap, have we been bi&^%ing a full year, only for him to be playable after all? We are bad and should feel bad...'
Of all the things to happen, this is not one of them. Maybe some will admit when they're wrong, but there will still be fighting after Ridley's status is known.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So...how many hours until Sm4sh's release and how many days are we supporting Ridley for Sm4sh?

It will be really funny if there will be detractors left if Sma5h will ever happen that will say that Ridley will be cut because he looked stupid and everyone hated him or that he just shouldn't have been in SSB games because that goes against canon and things like that. If that will happen, then it will be funny to watch instead of being annoying like it is now.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
sakurai said that he near the bottom of the barrel for newcomer video.but if it take 1 month to show a video and 2-3 left, then we will get one this month,one near the release or after.

So...how many hours until Sm4sh's release and how many days are we supporting Ridley for Sm4sh?

It will be really funny if there will be detractors left if Sma5h will ever happen that will say that Ridley will be cut because he looked stupid and everyone hated him or that he just shouldn't have been in SSB games because that goes against canon and things like that. If that will happen, then it will be funny to watch instead of being annoying like it is now.
Oh trust me, they will be saying things like that come Smash 5.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh trust me, they will be saying things like that come Smash 5.
But no one will listen to them if Ridley will be playable in Sm4sh after everything they said about how impossible playable Ridley is...except for other toobigots of course.
Oh, and thanks to your K.Rool animation, i finally noticed/saw K.Rool's tail.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, What Did CoroCoro Reveal? I Assume Not Ridley, because this thread still seems bored and not Depressed.
It didn't reveal anything, like they said it was just an overview of the currently announced content, people just overhyped it to hell.

Last edited:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
I may be one of the only people who can actually say that they loved Other M, but hated The Prime Series. I'm like the STORY of all the games, didn't like the Gameplay of the Prime series. Other M story didn't really change my view on Samus at all. She's still a strong female character, or at least in Japan she was, because the American Voice actor was trying to mimic the Japanese one(Which by the way wasn't the best idea). Her Voice in the English Version sounded Rather Whiny, but In Japan the kind of voice she uses is supposed to sound strong. I also like how Roidley looks in that game, Zero Suit Doesn't look great, but Ridley Definitely looks great.

In my Opinion, Samus in Other M breaks down because 1: PTSD, and 2:"What the ****, your Dead... I ****ing blew up your PLANET, how the, what, like seriously what the ****." "Mmmm Girl Hey I'm Riodley, Like my new facelift?" "GET AWAY FROM ME YOU MONSTER" "You known I just came here to have a little fun and I'm feeling so attacked right now" "WHY WON'T YOU JUST DIE" "That hurts that really does, and here I was wanting to be friends" "GET OUT OF THIS GAME YOU WEEABOO!"

(This is what goes through my head when I get bored.)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In my Opinion, Samus in Other M breaks down because 1: PTSD, and 2:"What the ****, your Dead... I ****ing blew up your PLANET, how the, what, like seriously what the ****." "Mmmm Girl Hey I'm Riodley, Like my new facelift?" "GET AWAY FROM ME YOU MONSTER" "You known I just came here to have a little fun and I'm feeling so attacked right now" "WHY WON'T YOU JUST DIE" "That hurts that really does, and here I was wanting to be friends" "GET OUT OF THIS GAME YOU WEEABOO!"
Then it makes that scene sad since Ridley didn't really tried to kill her before getting insulted by Anthony. So, Ridley is the victim that is abused by Samus. Is that how purple space dragons are now supposed to be shown in fiction? Isn't he supposed to be a great example of a strong purple space dragon charcater of video games for all of the purple space dragons? Should we treat other purple space dragons in the same way? By abusing and insulting them, then killing them when they start to fight back? I think that is being racist to them. They just want to kill you and there is nothing wrong with that, you know...What if THEY would abuse and insult you? Huh? HUH?!
...yeahabadjokeaboutthatwholesamusinothermthingandLEAVEMEALONE! There is really nothing wrong with dragons killing humans since they are just predators, so, it is natural...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Hey, guys. Long time, no see.

I'm drowning in anticipation. I feel like this week is going to be an amazing one.
If by "Amazing" then you mean "New Character (Meta Knight why) and/or Ridley" then no, probably not. :4falcon:
Last time I felt an "Amazing week" all I got was a picture of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in a bachelor's pad. :4yoshi:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not her Japanese voice is "better". It's still incredibly against Samus' character to SCREAM. We get that it was a shock to see Ridley alive- Wait, it shouldn't even BE a shock. No matter WHAT you do to that god damn dragon, he always comes back alive. Samus should know that. The reason most of us have nothing against the manga is because it was when Samus was still a rookie, so a little whining is perfectly alright. Plus, that would have familiarized her to Ridley, and more importantly, the fact that he never stays dead.
Plus, Samus has been a bonafide badass from the beginning, and Prime only helped that case. Look at Metroid Fusion, for example. And Adam was incredibly idiotic. "You're not authorized to use that?" Come on!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, I am going to re-live Prime 3, and the Other M scene makes sense...But it really doesn't make any sense at the same time. Also, who was the smart person who theorized that Ridley's purple look is due to a him lacking oxygen or whatever, as he wasn't purple in ZM. If that person reads this, I want to say thanks for thinking of that!

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not her Japanese voice is "better". It's still incredibly against Samus' character to SCREAM. We get that it was a shock to see Ridley alive- Wait, it shouldn't even BE a shock. No matter WHAT you do to that god damn dragon, he always comes back alive. Samus should know that. The reason most of us have nothing against the manga is because it was when Samus was still a rookie, so a little whining is perfectly alright. Plus, that would have familiarized her to Ridley, and more importantly, the fact that he never stays dead.
Plus, Samus has been a bonafide badass from the beginning, and Prime only helped that case. Look at Metroid Fusion, for example. And Adam was incredibly idiotic. "You're not authorized to use that?" Come on!
I'll Admit the Whole authorization thing was kinda stupid, but since they made it that you had everything at the start, it only made since if they didn't want you to use something they'd take permission away from you. Adam being the one to do it made it only slightly more in character for Samus, because Father Figure and all. The only downer to the story was where it was placed on the timeline. Right before Fusion... *sigh*

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, who was the smart person who theorized that Ridley's purple look is due to a him lacking oxygen or whatever, as he wasn't purple in ZM. If that person reads this, I want to say thanks for thinking of that!
That can be more easily explained by Ridley being able to change color of his skin. It is shown in Super Metroid (like any chameleon in fiction) and Metroid Other M (he turns black or dark-grey when his skin becomes invincible to anything except for Super Missiles). He isn't purple in Metroid Prime 3 (Meta Ridley only) and Metroid Fusion (you may not count that since it wasn't Ridley) too. And lacking oxygen would not lead to THAT.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'll Admit the Whole authorization thing was kinda stupid, but since they made it that you had everything at the start, it only made since if they didn't want you to use something they'd take permission away from you. Adam being the one to do it made it only slightly more in character for Samus, because Father Figure and all. The only downer to the story was where it was placed on the timeline. Right before Fusion... *sigh*
All three of the Metroid Prime games came up with better solutions to that problem. So why is it they have to use a "kinda stupid" idea?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All three of the Metroid Prime games came up with better solutions to that problem. So why is it they have to use a "kinda stupid" idea?
Metroid Prime 1 - the most bada$$ thing in the universe, explosion, takes Samus' power ups away. Not even Ridley and Dark Samus can do that.
Metroid Prime 2 - her stuff (except for things she somehow lost between 1 and 2) somehow stolen by the Ing.
Metroid Prime 3 - starts with nearly nothing, loses nothing.
That is as bad as authorization thing. At least its not Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, where everything she had in previous games except for long beam and power suit (+ morph ball, morph ball bombs and missiles in Metroid 2) disappears without anything explaining why it disappeared.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Because Samus became the victim of someone elses vision, it was/is completely out of character for Samus to hesitate like that and just be an overall idiot, same with her commander. Give the game series back to retro if you ask me, just make japan stick to metroid side scrollers while we make more metroid primes.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Metroid Prime 1 - the most bada$$ thing in the universe, explosion, takes Samus' power ups away. Not even Ridley and Dark Samus can do that.
Metroid Prime 2 - her stuff (except for things she somehow lost between 1 and 2) somehow stolen by the Ing.
Metroid Prime 3 - starts with nearly nothing, loses nothing.
That is as bad as authorization thing. At least its not Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, where everything she had in previous games except for long beam and power suit (+ morph ball, morph ball bombs and missiles in Metroid 2) disappears without anything explaining why it disappeared.
No it's not. Even a hand wave is better than providing absolutely no reason, like what Adam Malkovich did.

Top Bottom