• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It wasn't well accepted because we all built up in our minds that Samus is a strong woman, in other M she is just a little girl afraid of Ridley who by the time she's killed countless times and shown no hesitation before then.

Also they make her look stupid.
She still kills whatever she finds during gameplay and remains silent, so, it is even worse since during gameplay, she is Samus we all know and accept, but during cutscenes - just bleh...

But saying that Samus following Adam's orders is something wrong is...duh. She could either follow his orders and remain on the ship or GTFO since she is not allowed to be here or just know about that ship. She stops asking for someone's authorization once everyone is dead by the way.
I hate first person games as well. In fact, there are only three I've ever liked. They are: Metroid Prime, Portal, and Dishonored. I couldn't play Earthbound because the first-person perspective drove me nuts (despite the fact that I would otherwise love it).

Also, look over that gameplay summary you just gave. "Shoot, shoot, shoot, jump, shoot, morphall ball bombs, etcetera". Sound familiar? That's how Metroid played. Shocker. Metroid was never a game about combat, it was a game about exploration. There are only a handful of bosses, and most of your trouble is in finding them, or in finding enough powerups to survive them, rather than epic combat experiences. How much time did you spend in Metroid fighting foes that required some thought other than just "shoot, shoot, shoot"? Not much.

Metroid Prime was a game about exploration. It captured the feel of the original series perfectly. It's part of why the scan visor actually worked really well. it was just another exploration tool that let you uncover lore about the world and detect hidden things to further explore.
Oh...right...forgot about that...sorry then...but as a just game, it is better and as a Metroid game it, of course, is going far from Metroid gameplay. I just think it has better gameplay as a just game and not Metroid game because then, it went too far by being linear, having no exploration possible (except for things like energy tanks) and that authorization thing.
At least they got Screw Attack and Space Jump right instead of turning them into extra jumps again...

Wait...wasn't Earthbound an RPG game?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Guys, I just want a direct this week.

I'm getting worried about my case and really impatient for Ridley because even tough I'm very confident, well, I still want to know how he looks and if I like his design, moves and all.

Like, just give the freaking direct. I almost can't stand myself a tease for 2 weeks and here, it's been almost a year, people knows about it, screw it the whole internet knows, seriously.

With that MK tease, I don't see the point of waiting further now it's almost torture to have those 2 teases being my 2 most wanted. It should be a good thing, but it's getting old now.

So,
just
announce
a
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGG
direct
ok?

No really it's starting to affect my nerves and emotions now.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I swear if we don't get a direct because of a Hyrule Warriors direct that have us almost NO new information I will be sincerely upset.

What a waste

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't play Earthbound because the first-person perspective drove me nuts (despite the fact that I would otherwise love it).
Not to derail but that's kind of a shame since no one likes the combat in that game anyway. Just hit autobattle and go clean your toilet or something for most of the fights.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I swear if we don't get a direct because of a Hyrule Warriors direct that have us almost NO new information I will be sincerely upset.

What a waste
You know, not EVERYONE wants to know what is going to be in Sm4sh or just not everyone wants to play it. So, for some, that direct is same thing as a Sm4sh direct is for us. They want to know more about it just like we want to know about Ridley's role. And there will be new information if it actually is Direct because then there would be no point in wasting time on it. So, unless they will somehow announce Big Rigs 2: Nintendo edition or a new Tingle game, then it is not a waste.

Last edited:

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I feel like creating a trailer. This is obviously ultra unrealistic, and i went with the Girls vs Guys kinda thing because basically all the villains are guys and the girls dont get too much love some times. Also, I suck at writing sometimes; but oh well. (Extra disclaimer; I chose Lucina becuase I didnt think WTF or Villager really fit here)

Palutena, Samus, Lucina, and Sheik appear together, in some kind of derelict space station. The atmoshpere is heavy and dark, the air oppressively thick. Our four heroines walk through the abandoned halls. each step a creak, or a moan of ancient steel. Deep within the structure, a shrill cry echoes softly. The four approach a rusted doorway, which samus, the leader approches. Wielding her arm cannon, she blasts it apart and begins walking into the next room. The three others follow confidently. But again, another cry; a bloodcurdling screech, loud and full of malice. Sheik involuntarily draws a breath, samus aims her cannon to her right, and lucina freezes. Palutena giggles, and says to the group; "Nothing to fear, I'm a Godess!" The others seem to be amused and the group begins to move onward yet again.

A moment later.

"Heh." A single, deep laugh. BOOM! A fist bursts forth from the wall nearest to palutena and the resulting force pushes her back. From the smoldering ruins of the wall enters GANONDORF! He punches his fists together, radiating energy. Then he lets forth a blast of dark magic that seperates everyone from palutena, and begins to break the space station apart. He lets forth another blow at palutena, who is able to defend. Ganondorf then lets his arms down, only to flick out twin blades! He attacks, and palutena is thrown away from her fellow heroines.

Lucina raises her blade and begins to chase after Ganondorf; but samus places a hand on her shoulder and gives her a signal; Palutena can handle herself. The two then turn around and begin to continue through the station only to realize something; sheik had disappeared!

Sheik is moving full speed down another ancient hallway. She sensed a presence, one that could only belong to one person. As she rounds a corner, three flying blades soar right at her, but sheik masterfully dodges all three. Out of the shadows, a figure steps forward. Just before it is revealed; the figure flips its hair and laughs manically! GHIRAHIM SLICES AND DICES! Ghirahim charges toward sheik as she readies herself for battle. He dashes forth and then unleashes his demon blade, just as sheik lets forth a lightning quick strike!

Lucina and Samus continue to move through the damaged space station, running at full speed through the the empty halls. Legs churning, eyes darting, samus moves with confidence, just as her partner does. The two continue to power through the station, heading for their fellows when suddenly Lucina falls through a hole in the floor! It was a trap! Now alone, Samus realizes she has to find a way to reach everyone quickly.

Lucina falls through the air, and lands with grace. She draws her blade and begins to look around. The room is very dark, shadows engulfing most of its perimeter. She is about to begin looking for an exit when she hears a strange rolling sound. She glances behind her to see a ball rolling towards her. A canonball. With a deep laugh and thunderous footsteps, a monstrous beast enters from the shadows. K ROOL KRUSHES THE KOMPETITION! He leaves the shadows, aims the blunderbuss, and fires. BAM!

Samus hears the massive blast from the gun, but continues to move on. She continues to sprint towards the room now marked on her map, the best way to meet up with her fellows. She blasts open several walls and enters a massive circular room. Faint red lights blink on the other side and samus taps her helmet to open up a 3D map display. She glances over it carefully, but hears a CLICK above her. She looks up to see two yellow lights, standard lighting. The lights squint. With a horrifying screech that deafens, the lights widen. The eyes widen. RIDLEY TERRORIZES THE COMPETITION! Samus raises her weapon and begins to fire, but Ridley is fast, and slams her through the floor into the room beneath. Armor sparking, samus begins to get up when a hand reaches out for her. Sheik picks her up and samus notices she has reunited with the others. Together the four heroines line up back to back ready to fight. But the villains begin to step forth from the shadows, ready to end the battle...
I like the sound of this for the most part. I think Vaati would have more chance than Ghirahim considering he's been in more Zelda titles, (Nor do I care for Ghirahim, like at all) but that's your preference. If any female character would be fighting K. Rool, I would think it would make most sense for it to be Dixie Kong. Fire Emblem went from two reps to four, why can't Donkey Kong?

Speaking of which, this has been on my mind recently, if Metroid got another rep after Ridley (Which would be unlikely for Smash 4, but who knows for the next installment), who would it be? I'd personally choose Dark Samus but that's like 3 Samuses on the roster so I guess that would be kinda weird.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
You know, not EVERYONE wants to know what is going to be in Sm4sh or just not everyone wants to play it. So, for some, that direct is same thing as a Sm4sh direct is for us. They want to know more about it just like we want to know about Ridley's role. And there will be new information if it actually is Direct because then there would be no point in wasting time on it.
But there was nothing new? I have been following that game for sometime, and unless you just started following the game the Hyrule Warriors Direct was all old news. At least the smash direct had the courtesy to share a plethora of new info, the HWD only showed us that Ganondorf is now playable, and rehashed the rest of its info. If it's the only direct to come out of August that is a sincere waste.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, this has been on my mind recently, if Metroid got another rep after Ridley (Which would be unlikely for Smash 4 likely, but who knows for the next installment), who would it be? I'd personally choose Dark Samus but that's like 3 Samuses on the roster so I guess that would be kinda weird.
Either Dark Samus or no one because then it will be a waste of time since there is no one else who is not just a one-shot character that is absolutely not important to the plot or Metroid franchise. Including Sylux and any of those hunters from that horrible (at least as a Metroid game and in terms of controls, design, gameplay, etc) Metroid Prime Hunters. Rundas is more-or-less important to the plot, but he still is a waste of time since he isn't important enough and is a one-shot character.
But there was nothing new? I have been following that game for sometime, and unless you just started following the game the Hyrule Warriors Direct was all old news. At least the smash direct had the courtesy to share a plethora of new info, the HWD only showed us that Ganondorf is now playable, and rehashed the rest of its info. It it's the only direct to come out of August that is a sincere waste.
Yes, i saw only August HW direct. Still, it is better than info from short trailers and just text...And i actually thought that you was talking about that recently announced stream and not August direct.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
For Olimar in Pikmin 2 one of the items you get is R.O.B.'s head

I'm not doing this to start anything or nothing, i'm just saying/showing that there is a way to compare his size to a fellow smasher. (In a canon series)
Interesting, I have yet to play a Pikmin game, so sorry for my lack of knowledge. I know you aren't trying to start something, but I was just trying to clarify that they do rest a decent case, but there are some major holes. If anything this adds to what I was trying to say. Thanks! :)

Wasn't there a giant ROB in SSE that olimar fights when falcon comes in?
Just finished the SSE (coincidentally) before coming on here. I can confirm this.

EDIT: Here's an image

...A Sassy Newcomer...Ghirahim...
Never.

Last edited:

Not Rick.

Smash Rookie
Well, you guys did it, you made me want Ridley. I've been watching you all silently... I used to be a pleb who thought he was too big, although I loved the guy I didn't see it happening at the time. You guys have my full support. <3

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, you guys did it, you made me want Ridley. I've been watching you all silently... I used to be a pleb who thought he was too big, although I loved the guy I didn't see it happening at the time. You guys have my full support. <3
Welcome aboard. And all hail Ridley.

Guys, we have yet another evidence that teh watergh's effects can be removed! Now he is one of us i guess?

What if we WOULD get Ridley, but he would look like ths:

Would you want Roidley instead?

Last edited:

Charyou Tree

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackmc32
Not to derail but that's kind of a shame since no one likes the combat in that game anyway. Just hit autobattle and go clean your toilet or something for most of the fights.
That works fine until Ness decides to let everyone die instead of using life-up. which happened to me yesterday. I was angry.

On topic: With the release so soon, and Sakurai's statement about being at the bottom of the barrel of character announcements, I think the odds are pretty high that we'll hear something this month. If not a direct, maybe another random character trailer like Lucina and Robin's.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I always wanted Ridley in Smash, but I kept running into people saying he wouldn't be interesting, he would be too big or he would be a boss and I kind of gave up on wanting him.

I saw all the points for Ridley and I eventually regained my spirit regarding ridley. I'm now highly certain Ridley has made it and Sakurai is just hiding him until the final moments of hype.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
[Generic Splougue Water Joke and Welcome Post]

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I would be fine with that. The proportions on that Ridley actually look pretty good, I think he'd fit in fine (in terms of size).

I'm not a big fan of Roidley, but if he gets in I can force myself to like him.

I'm going to assume you got the message before this, aldelaro5. I don't want to keep that here.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace

Guys, we have yet another evidence that teh watergh's effects can be removed! Now he is one of us i guess?

Ew. Ridley looks like a giant booger. I prefer my Ridley purple, but the proportions seem fine, if not a little tubby.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
New Picture of the Day!
If you manage to raise this Special Flag for long enough, an additional KO count will be added to your score in a time match, or you'll get an extra stock for a stock match. When this appears on the stage, the fight for the flag becomes a fierce battle of tactics, which makes things pretty interesting.
RIOT.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

Dude, since Samus is using her Other M design, of course I'm gonna want Roidley to stack that up.

As for evidence about the water, you forgot about me. I never encountered a supporter that convinced me until I watched Relax Alax's video, and then read aldelaro5's essay.

Take note that the symptoms are extremely painful when the water's effects are wearing off. You might at first suffer a case of insanity...like I did... I wish I could forget.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You guys remember how the King K. Rool thread has "One of Us" as a slogan for new supporters, right?

Well, how about we use the phrase "You have evolved" as ours? I know it does not sound that catchy, but I don't know....*shrugs*

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Found more stuff:
I would be fine with that. The proportions on that Ridley actually look pretty good, I think he'd fit in fine (in terms of size).

I'm not a big fan of Roidley, but if he gets in I can force myself to like him.

I'm going to assume you got the message before this, aldelaro5. I don't want to keep that here.
WHAT?! I thought that Ridley on the image looked horrible...why do you all hate Roidley so much...he just needs some love...and chocolate...mostly chocolate of course...
If you manage to raise this Special Flag for long enough, an additional KO count will be added to your score in a time match, or you'll get an extra stock for a stock match. When this appears on the stage, the fight for the flag becomes a fierce battle of tactics, which makes things pretty interesting.
So, when this Flag is raised, someone in the world dies in the time match and you get a point for that? Very nice thing.
Dude, since Samus is using her Other M design, of course I'm gonna want Roidley to stack that up.

As for evidence about the water, you forgot about me. I never encountered a supporter that convinced me until I watched Relax Alax's video, and then read aldelaro5's essay.

Take note that the symptoms are extremely painful when the water's effects are wearing off. You might at first suffer a case of insanity...like I did... I wish I could forget.
Then i guess there is more than 5-6 peoples here who doesn't hates Roidley. Or you just have no choice and already accepted that there can be only Roidley?

I said "yet another", not just "we got evidence", so, i didn't counted just him (him?).

Are there any other symptoms? Like headache and "OMGWHATHAVEIDONE" madness mantra?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
F2A571_0DB9CD0972072_000.gif

Roidley: "Big Bro....are you Ok? you don't look so good...."

Ridley: "I'm fine..."

Roidley: "I don't think so....if you were alright, you would be screaming and saying some bad words at me, right now."

Ridley: "...Meh...I'm just too bored to even want to insult you..."

Roidley: "...Um...what if I told you that I love you so much, Big bro?"

Ridley: "...Meh..."

Roidley: "Uh....I ate the Hunter?"

Ridley: "Hmmm...........Meh...."

Roidley (thinking): "...This is not right...! The boredom is evil! EVIIIILLL!"

Made this out of boredom too....

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Other M's portrayal of Samus was awful. It was either "look how frail she is !" or "look at that booty B) "

But I genuinely enjoyed the gameplay. Wish it was with the Wii-chuck instead of the sideways remote.

And the Ridley boss fight was dope

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Other M's portrayal of Samus was awful. It was either "look how frail she is !" or "look at that booty B) "

But I genuinely enjoyed the gameplay. Wish it was with the Wii-chuck instead of the sideways remote.

And the Ridley boss fight was dope
I really have no issue with the idea of Samus getting PTSD at the presence of Ridley, that's okay, but it was kind of dumb that it would happen after seemingly killing him four times.

That would be the only thing I'd kind of defend about Samus's characterization, I mean, Ridley is difficult to kill, and he always seems to come back or defy death, it has to at least be terrifying having a terrible force of destruction like him as a nemesis.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I really have no issue with the idea of Samus getting PTSD at the presence of Ridley, that's okay, but it was kind of dumb that it would happen after seemingly killing him four times.

That would be the only thing I'd kind of defend about Samus's characterization, I mean, Ridley is difficult to kill, and he always seems to come back or defy death, it has to at least be terrifying having a terrible force of destruction like him as a nemesis.
The first time, sure. Where was that reaction in Super Metroid?

But even then, it was horribly executed. She's terrified and breaking down in the cutscene... And then she's fine and dandy in gameplay again, to the point that she shoves her arm into his throat just to hurt him more.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace

I didn't mind the PTSD part either. I had a problem with her general progression, her dependency on Adam, and her over-sexy alizarin during the zero suit scene.

PTSD with Ridley makes sense. If you remove the other stuff in the game, the PTSD makes it seem like she isn't fragile but instead that she's human. I think the scene would have had much more impact if Samus was portrayed as a general badass up until that point instead of someone who is emotionally frail, empty, and dependent. Still, the scene does it's job so I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
The first time, sure. Where was that reaction in Super Metroid?

But even then, it was horribly executed. She's terrified and breaking down in the cutscene... And then she's fine and dandy in gameplay again, to the point that she shoves her arm into his throat just to hurt him more.
Yeah, the writing of Other M was stupid, but I think it's far from the worst moment in her characterization. I'd say the worst was the whole varia suit situation, and seeing her blindly obeying orders from some 'brilliant tactical mind' who is just really awful.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, the writing of Other M was stupid, but I think it's far from the worst moment in her characterization. I'd say the worst was the whole varia suit situation, and seeing her blindly obey orders from some 'brilliant tactical mind' who is really stupid.
Ugh. There is no reason for the various ability restraints. The Power Bombs. Ok, I get that. Her suit upgrades? Those are just defensive/survival tools. The Power Bombs pose a threat to the ship's stability. WTF is the Varia Suit threatening?! Or half of her beam weapons? I mean, the Galactic Fed troops are carrying around Plasma beams but, nope, none for Samus. The Ice Beam doesn't kill, merely freezes for a few seconds, and, again, plenty of other people have them (including non military personnel). Nope, none for Samus. Just, WHY?!

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I would love to see another game with similar gameplay. Given the right quantity of inputs, I think the 3rd person ninja shooter elements could really shine.

Allow for some mobility in first person as well and BAM you've got a game with two completely different ways to play.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Ugh. There is no reason for the various ability restraints. The Power Bombs. Ok, I get that. Her suit upgrades? Those are just defensive/survival tools. The Power Bombs pose a threat to the ship's stability. WTF is the Varia Suit threatening?! Or half of her beam weapons? I mean, the Galactic Fed troops are carrying around Plasma beams but, nope, none for Samus. The Ice Beam doesn't kill, merely freezes for a few seconds, and, again, plenty of other people have them (including non military personnel). Nope, none for Samus. Just, WHY?!
The reason? Nintendo wanted a way to get rid of her powers without saying "oops a thing appeared and stole all your items you have to find them again".

But it works and it's totally not as dumb as intentionally holding back your handy powers because your careless surrogate father said so just portrays samus as hopeless. Every one of the main characters were hopeless except Ridley and Anthony.
I would love to see another game with similar gameplay. Given the right quantity of inputs, I think the 3rd person ninja shooter elements could really shine.

Allow for some mobility in first person as well and BAM you've got a game with two completely different ways to play.
I agree, it could make me very happy if we got another game with those elements. Just portray Samus as a more strong female figure with the backbone to doubt authority and you got a game I'd critique a lot less.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
The reason? Nintendo wanted a way to get rid of her powers without saying "oops a thing appeared and stole all your items you have to find them again".

But it works and it's totally not as dumb as intentionally holding back your handy powers because your careless surrogate father said so portrays samus as hopeless. Every one of the main characters were hopeless except Ridley and Anthony.
Ridley is probably the most proactive character in the game :laugh:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Ridley is probably the most proactive character in the game :laugh:
Yeah, Ridley was the best in the game, not sure I like Poke-Ridley, but everything was good for portraying him as a highly intelligent space dragon. I want more of that kind of Ridley portrayal.

And I want Ridley in SSB4. (full circle)

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Top Bottom